Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Liberal: *through sobs* you can't just say everything is nationalised.... Please....
BBC: *points at national grid* nationalised

157 Tories voted for No Deal in the first round of Indicative Votes

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just imagining this brought me a sense of enormous wellbeing

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

lol if this is the thing that kills the tories electorally

You'd think as the party of loving pensioners they'd pander to soon-to-be pensioners...

Soon-to-be pensioners is people like, well, me. I think the age group this starts kicking in is also literally the more likely to vote Labour/Tory cutoff.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Borrovan posted:

Or they just said "well this provision clearly just presumes a majority Government, which we aren't, so it must not apply", which you could kind of apply to a unity Government at a stretch (hence my concern)

I mean 1940 was literally a unity Government...

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

feedmegin posted:

Soon-to-be pensioners is people like, well, me. I think the age group this starts kicking in is also literally the more likely to vote Labour/Tory cutoff.

The first cohort to get hit by the pension age increase are people born in the 60's. I'm amazed that this is getting put forward after the dementia tax fiasco.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I mean 1940 was literally a unity Government...

Kind of lucky the Lib Dem’s didn’t exist then. Otherwise they’d have been all “while we oppose Nazism more than anyone, we can’t possibly support an extremist like Churchill. Surely a compromise figure like William Joyce can be persuaded to take the job?”.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Filboid Studge posted:

Can you give a brief rundown of Shahien for a South Wales UKMT audience? I voted for her already because of her WLG endorsement but her material was a bit triangulated to really excite me. South Wales Police need very thoroughly sorting out.

I want to be a little, cautious, about what I write, as internal elections are always a little weird and given the proximity (talking of triangulation!) to the campaign I really don't want my words being attributed to anyone else. It's probably best summed up with two issues that have come up during the campaign.

The long and short is that the incumbent is a huge fan of South Wales Police's use of surveillance systems to identify people and Shahien is on record as being deeply sceptical, especially as they tend to misidentify more than not, which could lead to Mr Plod hitting you on the metaphorical head because they think you're somebody else. Evidently that last sentence definitely understates the potential issues.

South Wales Police are currently involved in legal action regarding this and yet they are continuing to implement further deployment of their systems.

The second issue that's come up from Welsh political twitter, because of course, is weed. The PCC doesn't have the power to actually decriminalise weed, as we've gone over before, Shahien's opinion is that the Plaid PCC idea is interesting but is far too early to know the success of it. However ultimately it should be legalised and regulated, which would take it away from criminal groups as a source of income.

The incumbent has neglected or refused, depending on your interpretation of silence, to engage on this question.

There are other issues like rising homelessness which have come up, but Shahien's responses to that are pretty much what you'd expect and hope so I'm not going to go into a several sentence paragraph to go over.

Happy to go over anything else and if there are any members within the South Wales region who haven't had their ballots please feel free to send me a message and I'll see what I can do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mrenda posted:

Tayto were the first to manage to put the flavouring actually on the crisp. They're part of Ireland's slow cultural war, a friendly snack-based imperialism where everyone comes around to the glory of Cheese and Onion Tayto's (in the correctly coloured red bag.) But, of course, there's no disagreement on the absolute fact they're called crisps.

YELLOW :argh:

This is a worse opinion than if you'd said "Omagh was justified"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

radmonger posted:

Kind of lucky the Lib Dem’s didn’t exist then. Otherwise they’d have been all “while we oppose Nazism more than anyone, we can’t possibly support an extremist like Churchill. Surely a compromise figure like William Joyce can be persuaded to take the job?”.

Uhh the Liberals did most certainly exist back then. While less garbage than Tories with their Chamberlain they did spend a lot of their time fighting Labour.

The merger with soc dems was really not as earth-shattering for them as it was for the latter.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Maybe I'm late to the party but I recently discovered this singer/poet K'naan and I'm super digging it, pro click here

https://youtu.be/tPfzN6B3nj8

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Coohoolin posted:

Maybe I'm late to the party but I recently discovered this singer/poet K'naan and I'm super digging it, pro click here

https://youtu.be/tPfzN6B3nj8

gently caress you for making me realise this is nearly a decade old

https://youtu.be/WTJSt4wP2ME

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Wait, is that the guy from the smiley? Because I always thought that looked like Kenneth Williams falling over backwards, but I couldn't work out why that would be a smiley.

Also, while closing a Photoshop document I had open for no particular reason, I inverted Corbyn, turning him into blue/green Gerry Adams.

What does this mean??

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I responded directly to a politician on Twitter for the first time ever today by calling Iain Duncan Smith a "ghoulish sociopathic vulture" in response to this tweet. It'll change nothing, but I felt it was justified.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nega-Corbyn is more powerful than we could ever have imagined.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobstar posted:

Wait, is that the guy from the smiley? Because I always thought that looked like Kenneth Williams falling over backwards, but I couldn't work out why that would be a smiley.

Also, while closing a Photoshop document I had open for no particular reason, I inverted Corbyn, turning him into blue/green Gerry Adams.

What does this mean??

Yes that's vince mc mahon. He's a dickhead wrestling man.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Late night dick wrestling.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Yes that's vince mc mahon. He's a dickhead wrestling man.

A dickhead wrestling man republican who gets off on the weirdest poo poo, like making people puke on command or bark like a dog.

Also hi UKMT, long time no see

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Acaila posted:

A dickhead wrestling man republican who gets off on the weirdest poo poo, like making people puke on command or bark like a dog.

Also hi UKMT, long time no see

hello mate

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ok yeah that's kind of as far away form Kenneth Williams as you can get while still being a human man.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Bobstar posted:

Ok yeah that's kind of as far away form Kenneth Williams as you can get while still being a human man.

Well, not sure about human as he is at least 74% steroids and 22% spite at this point

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Pffr

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1163544394282209280?s=19

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1163556186794467330?s=19

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

dispatch_async posted:

Funny you should say that because

That'll just make it cheaper to nationalise.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Gort posted:

That'll just make it cheaper to nationalise.

It’s run under licence anyway

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Today I learned that Empire of the Clouds is about a real airship, the R101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R101

Which is a perfect analogy for Brexit in some ways

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Bobstar posted:

What does this mean??
Isn't that Kazuma Kiryu's jacket?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Rockopolis posted:

Jeremy Ushiromiya

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 19, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If Corbyn is Kiryu, who is Majima?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

Today I learned that Empire of the Clouds is about a real airship, the R101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R101

Which is a perfect analogy for Brexit in some ways
The Maiden song, or is there a movie about the R101?

I'm not sure what the brexit analogy is though. The 101 disaster was because the privately built but underwhelming R100 deliberately flew to Canada ahead of schedule, forcing the more groundbreaking R101 into an early trip to India before it was fully fitted.

e: oh, wait, because of the greed and impatience of a bunch of private speculators the government's going to crash over France. That works.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

The Maiden song, or is there a movie about the R101?

I'm not sure what the brexit analogy is though. The 101 disaster was because the privately built but underwhelming R100 deliberately flew to Canada ahead of schedule, forcing the more groundbreaking R101 into an early trip to India before it was fully fitted.

The song

Forcing a potentially disastrous situation because it's good political optics I guess

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Rockopolis posted:

Jeremy Corbyn
Patriarch of the Fabian Family
The Ifrit of Islington

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lot of Maiden songs could be Brexanalogies

Can I Play With Madness
2 Minutes To Midnight
The Evil That Men Do
Flight of the Icarus

gently caress it's harder to find ones that don't work

E: Fear Of The Dark

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 19, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was thinking a while ago that Children Of The Grave is weirdly applicable to today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7UZeHvMYZA

Also pretty banging.

Also I would definitely have slept with ozzy at that age.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sup Acaila!

WhatEvil posted:

Toast, thin coating of peanut butter, cheese on top and toast. Optionally add sriracha/chilli flakes. I don't do this often because it's super calorific but it is awesome. Prob not great for josh04.

I tried this earlier and it kinda works, you absolute mad lad

Comrade Fakename posted:

If Corbyn is Kiryu, who is Majima?

Dennis Skinner

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: Fear Of The Dark

Just wait for the power cuts

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

oscarthewilde posted:

Jeremy Corbyn
Patriarch of the Fabian Family
The Ifrit of Islington

UKMT August 2019 - The Ifrit Of Islington

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Total Meatlove posted:

It’s run under licence anyway

While you do need a licence to operate an electricity transmission system, the underlying (onshore) physical assets in England and Wales are still owned by National Grid Electricity Transmission.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
https://twitter.com/rorybowman/status/1163105993686786048

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol at the head of the national grid earning millions for their performance. Like I can get Bill jobs or elon musk or whoever earning lots for convincing people they need a delorean or whatever, but the national grid guy... like just don't hit the off button?

Although I get that wiping 3% of its value would be bad if like I dunno hundreds of thousands of working people's pensions are tied up in its really safe stocks, but equally why would the opposition saying stuff have much effect on its value?

I was out with my brother and wife. She used to work for IDS so I thought she more than anyone would instantly agree on his utter evilness. Nope. Awkward silence. I even showed them the gif.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RDevz posted:

While you do need a licence to operate an electricity transmission system
Guys I just came up with a radical cost cutting measure :ancap:

Someone get me The Saj. (Please do not get me The Saj.)

:staredog: