Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I really like having the performance with 18” wheels, the added comfort and efficiency really makes a difference.

I have heard that from a few people.

My vanity made me order the big wheels though. I wanted those red calipers.

Did you test drive any with the big wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SerCypher posted:

I have heard that from a few people.

My vanity made me order the big wheels though. I wanted those red calipers.

Did you test drive any with the big wheels?

I haven't been in any M3P+ with the 20" wheels. I made a decision to buy the 18" version based off of paying $5k less, and not having to worry about damaging the rims. Do you plan on going on long road trips? It may be worth it to buy an extra set of 18" or 19" wheels for long distance trips or winter driving.

Edit: I sold my Model 3 RWD Mid-Range in order to get the M3P-, and it's insane how much faster it is! Track mode is really neat, too.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 19, 2019

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I haven't been in any M3P+ with the 20" wheels. I made a decision to buy the 18" version based off of paying $5k less, and not having to worry about damaging the rims. Do you plan on going on long road trips? It may be worth it to buy an extra set of 18" or 19" wheels for long distance trips or winter driving.

Edit: I sold my Model 3 RWD Mid-Range in order to get the M3P-, and it's insane how much faster it is! Track mode is really neat, too.

Ah that makes sense. Yeah the tires are gonna be expensive.

I'm in Cali, so I don't have to worry much about potholes on the freeways and/or winter driving. I've never really seen potholes on major roads in California and nearby states. My understanding is they're mostly caused by water freezing and spalling the asphalt?

I just checked and I'm not sure if you can even get the M3P stealth anymore, so you might have a rare bird there.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You must not drive around Los Angeles, especially the actual city vs LA County

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

You must not drive around Los Angeles, especially the actual city vs LA County

When I do drive though it's the 405 and the 101, both of which are pretty nice. I usually don't take the 5 which tends to be all beat up. Obviously the roads in the city itself aren't great, but you also aren't going 80 over those, so it's probably less of an issue.

Roads around where I am (orange county) are nice, as are all the roads out to the Desert.

My last car was a Focus RS, and the suspension on that was so bad a road trip hosed up my shoulders and back for a week afterwards. I have a feeling this can't be worse than that.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

So I've noticed that this is pretty common, selling a standard/mid/long range to get a M3P. I've only had my standard range TM3 a few days but, like, it's really fast. Granted, I've only driven normal cars my whole life, but with the roll-on acceleration merging on an on-ramp, I could easily see myself going over a tiny rise and flying over a barrier, never to be found. Perhaps I'm just a wuss? Cause I can't imagine a car pulling twice as hard, except like on a track.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

So I've noticed that this is pretty common, selling a standard/mid/long range to get a M3P. I've only had my standard range TM3 a few days but, like, it's really fast. Granted, I've only driven normal cars my whole life, but with the roll-on acceleration merging on an on-ramp, I could easily see myself going over a tiny rise and flying over a barrier, never to be found. Perhaps I'm just a wuss? Cause I can't imagine a car pulling twice as hard, except like on a track.

It really depends on your car history. If you are some huge car buff who only ever drives big engined cars with a shitload of power a "normal" M3 might not do much for you. I've seen a guy on another forum complain that even the M3P just doesn't do it for him because his old BMW had more power.
If you are used to Porsches, BMW M and AMG cars the M3P might not impress you that much. Especially since its an expensive car and someone who can afford it is probably more used to powerful cars.

Im in germany where car ownership ist loving expensive and the more powerful the car gets the more money you need to throw at it. Taxes go up, insurance goes up and fuel will cost you an arm and a leg. So even the normal M3 has about a hundred HP more than any other car i've ever owned so it feels plenty fast.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I've only had my standard range TM3 a few days but, like, it's really fast

The few days part is key. My dual motor 3 felt quick for a few months but you get used to it and now the acceleration seems almost tame. An m3p upgrade would be nice...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Shai-Hulud posted:

It really depends on your car history. If you are some huge car buff who only ever drives big engined cars with a shitload of power a "normal" M3 might not do much for you. I've seen a guy on another forum complain that even the M3P just doesn't do it for him because his old BMW had more power.
If you are used to Porsches, BMW M and AMG cars the M3P might not impress you that much. Especially since its an expensive car and someone who can afford it is probably more used to powerful cars.
I drove a 16 Mustang GT for 2 years with 435 hp. Went from that to a 375 hp/470 ft-lb truck.
D
The M3P impressed the poo poo out of me for power on my test drive all the way up to 100mph.

On a freeway roll the Mustang would probably win, but if both cars are cruising and suddenly need to pass something the instant torque is gonna win over having to downshift to get into the power band.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 20, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I've been wondering if I should get the ruggedized clippercreek (https://store.clippercreek.com/featured/hcs-40pr-32-amp-ruggedized-evse) or just get the normal version. It's probably living indoors in a garage
99% of the time but winter is indeed a thing here. I think I'm being silly for considering it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

I've been wondering if I should get the ruggedized clippercreek (https://store.clippercreek.com/featured/hcs-40pr-32-amp-ruggedized-evse) or just get the normal version. It's probably living indoors in a garage
99% of the time but winter is indeed a thing here. I think I'm being silly for considering it.

Not needed. The ruggedized versions are meant for commercial installations. The only difference between it and the regular version is a easily replaceable latch on the J1772 connector (for when it inevitably gets broken by some random person) and some extra rubber on the body of the unit.

All of ClipperCreek's units are indoor/outdoor rated. The entire LCS series both regular and ruggedized is NEMA 4 rated/fully sealed.

Edit: There are cheaper units out there, but CC has a excellent reputation in the EV industry. And their customer support is often said to be top notch. I've seen reports of them replacing parts/units even when said unit was years outside of warranty.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 20, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

stevewm posted:

Not needed. The ruggedized versions are meant for commercial installations. The only difference between it and the regular version is a easily replaceable latch on the J1772 connector (for when it inevitably gets broken by some random person) and some extra rubber on the body of the unit.

All of ClipperCreek's units are indoor/outdoor rated. The entire LCS series both regular and ruggedized is NEMA 4 rated/fully sealed.

Edit: There are cheaper units out there, but CC has a excellent reputation in the EV industry. And their customer support is often said to be top notch. I've seen reports of them replacing parts/units even when said unit was years outside of warranty.

Yeah I realize there are cheaper more featured units but in the end juice boxes features struck me as just more things that could break for something I wouldn’t use. I don’t mind paying more for a ul listed charger from a company with a good track record.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
JuiceBoxes are UL listed now but they're probably somewhat less reliable than CC. 16MWh through my Pro 40 so far though.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The Taycan first drive is four weeks from now and I got an invite so if people have specific questions about that car, post them here and I’ll put them on a list to take with me.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
If it's worse than a Tesla, will you admit it

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I trust opinions on EVs from no one except uncle Bjorn.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

dream9!bed!! posted:

If it's worse than a Tesla, will you admit it

Yes. Tesla’s real problem will be that the Taycan will show just how old the Model S is getting.

I can say right now I’d be shocked if a fully optioned Taycan Turbo S was somehow worse than a Model 3 Performance that costs probably half as much.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
Someone I know just put down a reservation for a Taycan.

I guess the official range would be good to know?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

dream9!bed!! posted:

JuiceBoxes are UL listed now but they're probably somewhat less reliable than CC. 16MWh through my Pro 40 so far though.

Yeah I noticed that, that's why I was considering it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

drgitlin posted:

The Taycan first drive is four weeks from now and I got an invite so if people have specific questions about that car, post them here and I’ll put them on a list to take with me.

Will my wife like it on her 50 mile highway commute?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

Will my wife like it on her 50 mile highway commute?

Is your wife a 60 year old man?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Is it connected to the Frankfurt auto show? If yes, do you need an assistant? Can your hypothetical assistant drive the car?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

Is it connected to the Frankfurt auto show? If yes, do you need an assistant? Can your hypothetical assistant drive the car?

No, it’s a couple of weeks later and I cannot bring an assistant I am sorry.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
So the wife's beloved 2003 Mercedes C240 (bought before we married) got sideswiped at a gas station and the insurance co. is going to give us about $4500 to junk it.

I'm good with this, the KBB is under $2k and the beast is a repair nightmare ($4k in the last year) and if you drive downhill in a hurricane it might get 25mpg (premium). More like 20 for real.

She hates Crossovers and SUV's, but there are two Ionic's near is and that looks ok for her.

99% of the time her biggest drive might be 75mi, so the 125mi range version could work, and there are deals to be had.

Here's what I figured out:

Hyundai Ionic EV, $229/mo, $2500 down. 3 years, 12,000 miles a year. If I break down the 3 year expense. That's about $10,500.

With the Fed. $7500 credit, the San Diego County $2500 credit, the SDG&E credit and so on, I basically have a free car for three years.

Is the Ionic ok? Am I wrong on the tax credits? (Yes, I pay enough taxes to make that work).

The Leaf is even a better deal but she hates the look. The Ionic is better built anyway.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

VideoGameVet posted:

So the wife's beloved 2003 Mercedes C240 (bought before we married) got sideswiped at a gas station and the insurance co. is going to give us about $4500 to junk it.

I'm good with this, the KBB is under $2k and the beast is a repair nightmare ($4k in the last year) and if you drive downhill in a hurricane it might get 25mpg (premium). More like 20 for real.

She hates Crossovers and SUV's, but there are two Ionic's near is and that looks ok for her.

99% of the time her biggest drive might be 75mi, so the 125mi range version could work, and there are deals to be had.

Here's what I figured out:

Hyundai Ionic EV, $229/mo, $2500 down. 3 years, 12,000 miles a year. If I break down the 3 year expense. That's about $10,500.

With the Fed. $7500 credit, the San Diego County $2500 credit, the SDG&E credit and so on, I basically have a free car for three years.

Is the Ionic ok? Am I wrong on the tax credits? (Yes, I pay enough taxes to make that work).

The Leaf is even a better deal but she hates the look. The Ionic is better built anyway.

Is the dealer giving you the fed tax credit? it goes to the dealer on leased vehicles.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

jabro posted:

Is the dealer giving you the fed tax credit? it goes to the dealer on leased vehicles.

Is that so? That changes the equation. The San Diego and SDGE one’s may go to the lessor.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Yeah you don't get the fatty credit on a lease. Leafs are awesome unless you need to fast charge regularly.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My leaf lease included the rebate... They took it off the cars' value.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

dream9!bed!! posted:

I’m also a Pro 40 haver, 5.3MWh through mine with nary an issue. :shrug: They’re decent units and it’s fun being able to see how much your EV is sucking down. I got mine in anticipation of having another EV and doing the whole 2 EVSEs on one line thing, giving them each 20A until one is charged, but my Volt surprisingly charges up overnight with the 12A 120v setting so I never had to install it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

Yes. Tesla’s real problem will be that the Taycan will show just how old the Model S is getting.

I can say right now I’d be shocked if a fully optioned Taycan Turbo S was somehow worse than a Model 3 Performance that costs probably half as much.

Ask if they can make LEDs with constant current instead of PWM for people like me who are unlucky enough to see it :( (You don't actually have to ask that, but if I try, they think I'm crazy)

So on topic general consensus is a Clipper Creek be a good choice to go with a 14-50 outlet? Extra cost is fine if it's easier to deal with, for some older people especially.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Charles posted:

So on topic general consensus is a Clipper Creek be a good choice to go with a 14-50 outlet? Extra cost is fine if it's easier to deal with, for some older people especially.

If you don't need or want the smart/metering features, then you can't go wrong with ClipperCreek. They are basic, no frills, just works, EVSEs.

Though it appears currently the 40A JuiceBox is a bit cheaper.. And there are a lot of cheaper 40A units on Amazon (most of these are likely not UL listed if that matters to you).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Is the Ionic ok?

Yes, it's great. Has the important adaptive cruise control too. Lots of tests on YouTube to show you the features.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Remember that Swiss regen dumper truck that was discussed a long time ago? It's operational. (Text in Norwegian) https://www.tu.no/artikler/el-giganten-frakter-65-tonn-stein-sparer-50-000-liter-diesel-i-aret-og-ma-knapt-lades/471999

Basically, the quarry is higher than the destination, so it gains more by loaded regen than it does uphill empty. In practice it needs a bit of charging though, the topography varies a bit and it sometimes needs chains. Still, very cool EV use case.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Ask if they can make LEDs with constant current instead of PWM for people like me who are unlucky enough to see it :( (You don't actually have to ask that, but if I try, they think I'm crazy)

I can see PWM LED's blinking as well.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

LRADIKAL posted:

I can see PWM LED's blinking as well.

As can I.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yalls eyes hosed up

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My special eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeajNpTLgrY

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

dream9!bed!! posted:

Yeah you don't get the fatty credit on a lease. Leafs are awesome unless you need to fast charge regularly.

I live in an area that gets close to 100ºF sometimes. It's too bad they didn't put in the liquid thermal management. Even the Fiat 500e has that.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ola posted:

Yes, it's great. Has the important adaptive cruise control too. Lots of tests on YouTube to show you the features.

I've decided to wait for the extended range version (ok, the wife insists) in a few months. I know it will be a bit more, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

I've decided to wait for the extended range version (ok, the wife insists) in a few months. I know it will be a bit more, but there you go.

Good call! It will probably have lots of other new features as well.