Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I'm new as well and I'd love to queue up but I don't think I have Binding Coils unlocked yet. I'm in my early 30's level-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Phone posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: /!\ ATTENTION NEWBIES /!\ :siren: :siren: :siren:

stop solo queuing for poo poo and instead ask your FC to queue with you

a quick "hey, anyone for first time __________" is all you need

But I don't want my FC to see I'm actually a bad player :ohdear:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BaDandy posted:

I'm new as well and I'd love to queue up but I don't think I have Binding Coils unlocked yet. I'm in my early 30's level-wise.

Yeah you need to be level 50 and have beaten the final boss of ARR

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Natsuumi posted:

It's ok

So are we

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Natsuumi posted:

we would never fake you out or lie to you just to see you eat a mechanic that catches out everyone on the first time around

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah you need to be level 50 and have beaten the final boss of ARR

drat, maybe next time.

Eltoasto posted:

It's ok

So are we

Me when I join a party

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Eltoasto posted:

It's ok

So are we

:hmmyes:

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I still don't understand how Gosetsu is still alive, he got shot like three times with a pistol and a building fell on him. Yotsuyu as well. Did I miss some dialogue?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Slider posted:

I still don't understand how Gosetsu is still alive, he got shot like three times with a pistol and a building fell on him. Yotsuyu as well. Did I miss some dialogue?

Lol if you think bullets and a building are gonna kill that man.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Slider posted:

He's Gosetsu. That's all Gosetsu needs.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Slider posted:

They was a chunk of the dialogue in the cutscene immediately after about the Koban not finding a body and the floor giving way before the roof fully collapsed. They telegraphed it pretty hard.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure bullets are made of rubber in Eorzea. Very soft rubber.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slider posted:

Based on the first boss of Amaurot thats only worth a dmg up debuff and maybe 1/3 his xp.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It takes me way more than 3 bullets to kill things in this game.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Natsuumi posted:

If that Lakshmi last night was any indication we are all exceptionally bad players with memory spans of goldfish (including myself) It got done though!

So don't be afraid to ask for help, it's a bonus when you get to see people in full shiny awesome gear gently caress up fights from years ago!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rhonne posted:

It takes me way more than 3 bullets to kill things in this game.

I mean seriously a random bandit is gonna take a GIGA DRILL BREAK to the face and just keep going

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
First coil is nothing but easy fights but prepare to hit a bit of a wall in second coil if you're doing it synced. It won't take as long as doing a modern raid probably but it'll still probably be a multi-session endeavor, especially T9.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

S.J. posted:

I mean seriously a random bandit is gonna take a GIGA DRILL BREAK to the face and just keep going

There are some FATE mobs that take a full RDM combo, Scorch included, and keep going.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Oh no.

I discovered modding for this game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Natsuumi posted:

They will rather fail with you than succeed without you

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SirSamVimes posted:

In my XIV screenshots I have a special subfolder for wallpaper-worthy ones and my wallpaper is just a slideshow of that folder.

I thought it was just me. So far I am at 25 and counting since Shadowbringers launched.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is there any way to make tab-targeting not suck poo poo in PVP? Yeah it's great that instead of targeting the Samurai 3 feet in front of me, hitting tab instead targets the Black Mage 500 feet away.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Phone posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: /!\ ATTENTION NEWBIES /!\ :siren: :siren: :siren:

stop solo queuing for poo poo and instead ask your FC to queue with you

a quick "hey, anyone for first time __________" is all you need

Just curious, what's the reasoning behind this? I've been solo queuing this whole time but I'll start saying poo poo in fc chat

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Is there any way to make tab-targeting not suck poo poo in PVP? Yeah it's great that instead of targeting the Samurai 3 feet in front of me, hitting tab instead targets the Black Mage 500 feet away.

Bind the key that targets the closest target to you. This is a good QoL in all content for me at least.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

whalestory posted:

Just curious, what's the reasoning behind this? I've been solo queuing this whole time but I'll start saying poo poo in fc chat

People want to be friends with you!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

whalestory posted:

everyone in the party with a person who's new to the duty gets a bonus reward, often tomestones

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

whalestory posted:

it makes queues faster i guess

Veotax
May 16, 2006

whalestory posted:

Everyone else gets a bonus when playing with a newbie and you get to skip the queue if you manage to fill the party. Or get a tank, assuming you're not playing a tank

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

whalestory posted:

Grouping with people who are running a dungeon for the first time gives bonuses to everyone in the group (XP Bonus for low level stuff, extra tomestones for level capped stuff).
Also FFXIV goons tend to be very helpful in general and also tend to (but not always) be better than the average pubbie. And if you're leveling a DPS job, queuing up with a healer or tank in your group makes queues WAY faster

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ignore all these posts about people just wanting extra rewards, they do it because they want to hang out with you!!!!!!!!!!!!

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Ohhhhh shiiiiit

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

ignore all these posts about people just wanting extra rewards, they do it because they want to hang out with you!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's true. Goons are friendly and good at FFXIV. Don't be afraid to ask for help in FC chat. The bonus rewards are just icing on the cake.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Just smashed Leviathan for the first time and holy hell that music is BALLER

also Yugiri all "who are you, what is your purpose" at you afterwards is great. Someone being afraid of me is good and realistic.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Also apparently Yugiri introduces using two daggers to Eorzea. Rogues weren’t playable until the patch after she teaches Limsa Lominsa how to be ninjas

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That music shows up way later as remix :getin: And I got it today.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

whalestory posted:

We get bonuses when running people for first time

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Also apparently Yugiri introduces using two daggers to Eorzea. Rogues weren’t playable until the patch after she teaches Limsa Lominsa how to be ninjas

Huh, cool! That explains why they're so excited by her flipping around with daggers.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leviathan has my favourite ARR primal theme.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Huh, cool! That explains why they're so excited by her flipping around with daggers.

Minor spoilers for 2.x in case you're not done with it yet:

She was also the first and only Au Ra NPC in-game, which you discover late in 2.x. Au Ra became a playable race in 3.0.

They did the same thing with Fran and playable Viera in 4.x/5.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Minor spoilers for 2.x in case you're not done with it yet:

She was also the first and only Au Ra NPC in-game, which you discover late in 2.x. Au Ra became a playable race in 3.0.

They did the same thing with Fran and playable Viera in 4.x/5.0.

I just finished 2.3 and could guess from her tail, so this isn't a big spoiler, but thank you for spoiling it nonetheless.

Thoughts on 2.3:

- refugee plot was pretty neat, if depressingly topical.
- this felt like a return to ARR form, so to speak. Like the leadup into Ifrit, it was compelling and paid off in neat character moments + Leviathan himself and his music
- Why does Yshtola pick on Merlwyb but none of the other leaders? They're all engaging in genocide over who can live where with the beasttribes, and yet it's only Merlwyb that gets disapproving looks from this catlady. Also, this conflict integrates poorly with the sahagin village that I've been hanging out in.
- a Lala trying to say 'revolution' menacingly is the funniest drat thing

Onwards!