Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
To be fair the church was keeping that a secret. Which, you know, is always a good sign in a religion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Rhea has a literal army of people willing to die for her and do menial chores and anything else she asks. Ask literally anyone who grew up on a farm at around what age they started helping with animals and crops and doing basically the same sort of stuff Cyril does.

...ok? That doesn't change that Cyril is just used as free labor because he idolizes Rhea and isn't being taught a lot of things that are very common in Fodlan, like basic literacy. There's a reason people treat it as a weird thing and not the norm, and a reason like half his C supports are people looking askance and asking him if he needs help as he cheerfully describes an absolutely crushing workload.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

To be fair the church was keeping that a secret. Which, you know, is always a good sign in a religion!

Not that uncommon in religions tbf. I mean Christians don't exactly go around talking about their god's name in casual conversation.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Regarding the goddess it really sucks that Sothis never speaks in the story after you merge because I really want to know how she'd react to all of this bullshit

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

RBA Starblade posted:

I love how it takes like eight months at a church for Byleth to find out the name of the goddess the church even worships
no one ever claimed that byleth was a smart or even observant woman

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Your Computer posted:

not reading the spoiler, but I assume this is for non-Edelgard routes? :v:

He said golden deer explicitly but I can confirm something similar happens in Blue Lion route

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I can report that you gain experience way, way slower on Maddening difficulty. It seems like it's tuned to negate the statue EXP bonuses and then some; I have +20% right now, and as of the end of Chapter 4, I’m a few levels behind where I was on my Hard run, despite the fact that most maps have a few more enemies.

You also get 4 less skill experience from weekly studies (+20 instead of +24 for neutral goals), and I think the gains from group tasks and choir practice are slightly reduced as well.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 19, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Blaziken386 posted:

I know this is from a ways back, but I just saw the Caspar/Hilda A rank. It's probably the most suggestive one, (she's basically propositioning him) but like other shounen protagonists before him, he is denser than lead.

i thought this was an exaggeration but nope, she's just like "hey wanna come up to my room" and he's just like "uh, what?"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zoran posted:

I can report that you gain experience way, way slower on Maddening difficulty. It seems like it's tuned to negate the statue EXP bonuses and then some; I have +20% right now, and as of the end of Chapter 4, I’m a few levels behind where I was on my Hard run, despite the fact that most maps have a few more enemies.

Wait what's Maddening difficulty

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I was off the Rhea train when I read the tenants of The Church of Seiros in the library.
Tenant #5: Never question the teachings of Seiros.
Then Rhea started going all (real early spoilers)Queen of Hearts on everybody who pisses her off.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
zoran tell us all how you hacked the game to access maddening difficulty

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Wait what's Maddening difficulty

It's lunatic. People datamined the game and it has 2 more difficulty levels which weren't implemented, maddening and infernal. Maddening was just renamed into lunatic.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

no one ever claimed that byleth was a smart or even observant woman

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Byleth doesn't understand the concept of religion when they first come to the monestary.

Jeralt was an incredibly bad dad in a lot of ways.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Sydin posted:

His supports with Flayn are also great because he waxes poetic to her about how beautiful Saint Cethleann was and how he wants to know as much about her as he can to paint the perfect likeness, without realizing he's literally talking to said saint, and Flayn is equal parts amused and flattered to the point that she actually drops some of the secrets she's not supposed to divulge.

McTimmy posted:

Cyril will even start writing ask box notes instead of drawing them.

You think Seteth is a stuffed shirt for how overprotective he is but considering whom he has to deal with it's so understandable.

Seteth and Flayn BOTH are incredibly bad at keeping secrets.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

not a bot posted:

It's lunatic. People datamined the game and it has 2 more difficulty levels which weren't implemented, maddening and infernal. Maddening was just renamed into lunatic.

I want to play that what the hecko

Arkeus posted:

Seteth and Flayn BOTH are incredibly bad at keeping secrets.

Seteth doesn't tell either Manuella or Hilda anything in his A+ supports with them which was kind of a bummer

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Seteth at least tries to keep it a secret, meanwhile Flayn is like greetings fellow humans I bet you didn't know St Cethleann, who I am definitely not, is amazing

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zore posted:

Byleth doesn't understand the concept of religion when they first come to the monestary.

Jeralt was an incredibly good dad in a lot of ways.
fixed :colbert:

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Seteth at least tries to keep it a secret, meanwhile Flayn is like greetings fellow humans I bet you didn't know St Cethleann, who I am definitely not, is amazing
I paired her up with ignatz if only because she's the most blatant about it in that support line

also, re: dragons being bad about secrets, if I have one gripe with the GD playthrough, it's that Claude tends to go "no, no, that can't be true, that's ridiculous" until stuff is directly confirmed by rhea, at which point he goes "bwUH?? how unexpected!!"

which is especially grating considering he was pretty much on the same level as the player in terms of secret hunting in part 1, but in part 2 it takes him ages to find out stuff the player already knows/has already figured out.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Zoran posted:

You also get 4 less skill experience from weekly studies (+20 instead of +24 for neutral goals), and I think the gains from group tasks and choir practice are slightly reduced as well.

This seems like a good thing. I'm kind of annoyed that NG+ makes things so much less challenging even when you don't opt to spend renown (battalions, statues etc) and I'd feel weird not picking NG+ anyway. Sounds like it'll be nice having a mode tuned around having those perks available.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Seteth/Hilda was almost cool but they barely talk about themselves at all, so it barely even feels like theres a connection between the two. Setheth/Manuella was better but I think I'm also gonna try Ingrid just to see how it is because their C rank was promising

for reference for people who think Seteth/Hilda sounds like a weird/creepy pairing: they basically just make children's story books together

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 19, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW it's kind of amazing/awful that the persecuted dark skinned racial minority comes from the land of Duscar

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

zoran tell us all how you hacked the game to access maddening difficulty

There's a save editor already out for the game, so you just need to use homebrew to export your save, change the difficulty setting, and re-import it. Maddening is already fully functional and probably won’t be very different at all when it's officially released; it bumps up enemy stats, adds a few more enemies, sometimes changes up enemy formations to make them more challenging, and adds skills to certain enemy types. Archers all have Poison Strike and Thieves all have Pass, for example.

There's an even higher difficulty level, Infernal, that is unplayable because all the enemies have enormous stats (50+), and I think some of the maps won’t even load.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zore posted:

Uh i think that means he was an excellent dad

/end r/atheism

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
More and stronger enemies sounds good as does not gaining exp so much but poison strike archers seems really harsh.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I wish I'd gotten the Seteth/Bernadetta paired ending because their entire support tree of Bernie making self-insert Indech fanart is golden.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

McTimmy posted:

Byleth is just that good a teacher.

Also like 90% of Byleth's lessons seem to be oral anyway.

I imagine Manuela's lessons are like 90% complaining about her last date while hungover, and Hanneman's all digressions about crests, so Byleth spending the lesson pantomiming best ways of murdering people with particular weapons comes off as extremely educational.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Just did Marianne's paralogue, couldn't help but laugh at There was nemesis, the 10 great heroes, and... Maurice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

I was off the Rhea train when I read the tenants of The Church of Seiros in the library.
Tenant #5: Never question the teachings of Seiros.
Then Rhea started going all (real early spoilers)Queen of Hearts on everybody who pisses her off.

My favourite Tenant is the one which says "Do not commit murder (unless the Goddess commands it)". :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I hit Jeralt's death again on Blue Lions and I love the dichotomy between Edelgard & Dimitri's little pep talk in the captain's quarters
Edelgard is really aggressive in getting over Jeralt's death already, and to move on because we cant have a teacher moping around forever even though it's only been a few days since we saw him die

Dimitri, meanwhile, is willing to cover for us and give us the time & space we need because just pushing forward without grieving isn't the way to do things, and how it will eventually pass and so on.

I was worried all of them would be like Edel and I'm just going "wow, rude" but no its character insights, game good

Zore posted:

he's a bad dad in many ways and it was so obvious what was going to happen to him but also dang i care about him & byleth's relationship
and also his death is fairly important in several ways

but also let me save my dad and bond with my dad!!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 27, 2019

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Quick question about the Event Viewer you unlock after you beat the game once because it's not documented anywhere yet:

It doesn't record your actual Goddess Tower meeting right? Like the game itself has a lot of permutations for events but it seems to only use a default when you use this feature for certain cutscenes, including the one at the tower cutting off right before you'd actually meet a person. Also it just defaults to the Three House Leaders if you replay the Dancing competition cut-scene, so I guess grab a screen if you remember it being a memorable trio that was being judged.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Quick question about the Event Viewer you unlock after you beat the game once because it's not documented anywhere yet:

It doesn't record your actual Goddess Tower meeting right? Like the game itself has a lot of permutations for events but it seems to only use a default when you use this feature for certain cutscenes, including the one at the tower cutting off right before you'd actually meet a person. Also it just defaults to the Three House Leaders if you replay the Dancing competition cut-scene, so I guess grab a screen if you remember it being a memorable trio that was being judged.

it indeed does not

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

rannum posted:

he's a bad dad in many ways and it was so obvious what was going to happen to him but also dang i care about him & byleth's relationship

Byleth's relationship with Jeralt (and actually with Sothis too) is the only part of their character that really lands for me.

Especially after the fact when you get Alois supports and learn just what an odd guy he was. They're two weird impersonal people who have a weird impersonal relationship but Byleth definitely learned how to fish from Dad and it actually feels kinda sweet.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

OddObserver posted:

I imagine Manuela's lessons are like 90% complaining about her last date while hungover, and Hanneman's all digressions about crests, so Byleth spending the lesson pantomiming best ways of murdering people with particular weapons comes off as extremely educational.
related: I love the idea of training someone in axes, despite having, like, no skill in axes
https://twitter.com/projectTiGER_/status/1158432967116464128

e: forgot imbeded tweets show the one directly above for some reason, lol. was referencing the bottom one here

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

it indeed does not

I guess that saves people the trouble of having to go through it a bunch of times times two.

Though, NG+ will let you reapply classes to students who already earned them if you spend the renown right? I guess that means eventually, you could have a whole team of dancing lads and ladies if you wanted...

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Dancer is the exception, I'm pretty sure you can only have one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I guess that saves people the trouble of having to go through it a bunch of times times two.

Though, NG+ will let you reapply classes to students who already earned them if you spend the renown right? I guess that means eventually, you could have a whole team of dancing lads and ladies if you wanted...

They're breakdance fighting

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Dancer is the exception, I'm pretty sure you can only have one.

yeah i can confirm i can't buy back any of dorothea's dancer-related stuff

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

rannum posted:

I hit Jeralt's death again on Blue Lions and I love the dichotomy between Edelgard & Dimitri's little pep talk in the captain's quarters
Edelgard is really aggressive in getting over Jeralt's death already, and to move on because we cant have a teacher moping around forever even though it's only been a few days since we saw him die

Dimitri, meanwhile, is willing to cover for us and give us the time & space we need because just pushing forward without grieving isn't the way to do things, and how it will eventually pass and so on.

I was worried all of them would be like Edel and I'm just going "wow, rude" but no its character insights, game good

and also his death is fairly important in several ways

but also let me save my dad and bond with my dad!!

I want an El route where you save Jeralt and also convince Seteth and Flayn that Rhea is crazy so they help you out. Golden route achieved. :v:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Looks like I'll have to wait for the inevitable DLC map that'll pass out Dancer Seals.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

this series has always been pretty stringent about only letting you have one dancer at a time

except for feh where you can have three dancers and one actual combat unit, and the dancers just won't be able to refresh each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I really doubt they'll ever let you have more than one Dancer at a time. It would completely break the game and is something they've never let you have in any previous game.

Even in games that featured multiple dancers they always had plot reasons you could only field one at once.