Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

The problem is without adds most of those bosses would be shoot at boss->run from boss->shoot at boss. I think it is really hard to make a dark souls style boss where you have to learn patterns and play around them in games where you can shoot them from like 50 metres away.

I can’t think of a single boss in a game with ranged combat that’s actually good and amounts to more than just circle strafing and dumping shots into them. I’m not sure if it’s a solvable problem- like can a game with guns ever have a fight as good as Artorias?

Just give the bosses plenty of gap closers or make you WANT to stay near the boss so they don't used their own scary ranged attacks. One recent example I can think of is the F2P Monster Hunter clone Dauntless. It has a "gunner" class, but the bosses stay in your face (and you have to stay in theirs because the ranged damage drop off is huge). You're essentially just dodge rolling through attacks picking your moment to squeeze some damage in the same way you would if you were using a melee weapon (to be fair, yes it was a lot easier to find windows to damage the boss when you weren't having to factor in melee swing times, but it still worked)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

El Cid posted:

Just give the bosses plenty of gap closers or make you WANT to stay near the boss so they don't used their own scary ranged attacks. One recent example I can think of is the F2P Monster Hunter clone Dauntless. It has a "gunner" class, but the bosses stay in your face (and you have to stay in theirs because the ranged damage drop off is huge). You're essentially just dodge rolling through attacks picking your moment to squeeze some damage in the same way you would if you were using a melee weapon (to be fair, yes it was a lot easier to find windows to damage the boss when you were factoring in melee swing times, but it still worked)

I 1000% guarantee that this would lead to a wall of complaining about "what's the point of having the main weapons be guns if every boss rams themselves into my face constantly at every opportunity".

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

I 1000% guarantee that this would lead to a wall of complaining about "what's the point of having the main weapons be guns if every boss rams themselves into my face constantly at every opportunity".

Doesn't have to be EVERY boss, just enough to add a little variety to the current wall of complaints about every boss fight being a neverending torrent of ads.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

El Cid posted:

Doesn't have to be EVERY boss, just enough to add a little variety to the current wall of complaints about every boss fight being a neverending torrent of ads.

There are a few bosses that try to do this, notably Gorefist(who seems to be the most hated boss in the game right now judging by reddit), The Unclean One, and Canker.

They just also have the neverending torrent of adds. :haw:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

El Cid posted:

Just give the bosses plenty of gap closers or make you WANT to stay near the boss so they don't used their own scary ranged attacks. One recent example I can think of is the F2P Monster Hunter clone Dauntless. It has a "gunner" class, but the bosses stay in your face (and you have to stay in theirs because the ranged damage drop off is huge). You're essentially just dodge rolling through attacks picking your moment to squeeze some damage in the same way you would if you were using a melee weapon (to be fair, yes it was a lot easier to find windows to damage the boss when you weren't having to factor in melee swing times, but it still worked)

I haven’t played Dauntless, but if it’s anything like Monster Hunter the “guns” are still really short range and the boss fights all take way longer than in Souls or Remnant. It’s a way different type of game. I don’t think giving the bosses a bunch of gap closers would be any more interesting than the current design where you have to quickly delete a bunch of adds every so often.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

There are a few bosses that try to do this, notably Gorefist(who seems to be the most hated boss in the game right now judging by reddit), The Unclean One, and Canker.

They just also have the neverending torrent of adds. :haw:

Gorefist and The Unclean One are two great examples of bosses I thought could have been slightly more mobile and aggressive to make up for removing their ads. I liked dodging through these guys attacks and shooting them in the back (also I should add how great it is that Unclean One's big gross exposed butt is a weak point). Hell, even keep the ads but make it a boss gimmick that makes them show up (make Gorefist howl for the exploders, or make the exploders come from some spawner you can destroy or something.)

The first time I fought The Unclean one I actually thought it was him breaking the pots with his spin/hammer throw that was spawning the ads, which I thought was a cool gimmick. Then I noticed they also just drop in from the ceiling for no reason.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

El Cid posted:

Gorefist and The Unclean One are two great examples of bosses I thought could have been slightly more mobile and aggressive to make up for removing their ads. I liked dodging through these guys attacks and shooting them in the back (also I should add how great it is that Unclean One's big gross exposed butt is a weak point). Hell, even keep the ads but make it a boss gimmick that makes them show up (make Gorefist howl for the exploders, or make the exploders come from some spawner you can destroy or something.)

The first time I fought The Unclean one I actually thought it was him breaking the pots with his spin/hammer throw that was spawning the ads, which I thought was a cool gimmick. Then I noticed they also just drop in from the ceiling for no reason.

There are actually some ads hiding those pots. I broke a few of them after we killed him and one jumped out.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

fadam posted:

I haven’t played Dauntless, but if it’s anything like Monster Hunter the “guns” are still really short range and the boss fights all take way longer than in Souls or Remnant. It’s a way different type of game. I don’t think giving the bosses a bunch of gap closers would be any more interesting than the current design where you have to quickly delete a bunch of adds every so often.

If MH bosses are taking longer than Souls or Remnant bosses it's because your build sucks. There are WR AT Teostra kills that clock in at under 3 minutes, and an average decent build can down them in 5-10.

The problem is variety. I liked Gorefist as a boss because the adds actually add something to the boss fight itself. I'm not spending time dumping ammo into adds instead of the boss, I'm dodge rolling at the right time to negate them while fitting it into Gorefist's charges and swings. In a way, they're basically just another mechanic he does. This is way out of the norm of most of the boss fights in this game, and you can count boss fights that are different on one hand.

fadam posted:

The problem is without adds most of those bosses would be shoot at boss->run from boss->shoot at boss. I think it is really hard to make a dark souls style boss where you have to learn patterns and play around them in games where you can shoot them from like 50 metres away.

I can’t think of a single boss in a game with ranged combat that’s actually good and amounts to more than just circle strafing and dumping shots into them. I’m not sure if it’s a solvable problem- like can a game with guns ever have a fight as good as Artorias?

Also gonna blow your mind here, most dark souls bosses are dodge attack, hit boss, dodge attack. The trick to O&S is knowing when it's safe to attack them and being patient while running away constantly. You can try to use a pillar to force an opening, but it's not reliable and you can do that here, too. Manus, Artorias, and Fume Knight are all highly praised dark souls bosses, and all of them are dodging and waiting for openings. That you can use guns in this is moot.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If MH bosses are taking longer than Souls or Remnant bosses it's because your build sucks. There are WR AT Teostra kills that clock in at under 3 minutes, and an average decent build can down them in 5-10.

The problem is variety. I liked Gorefist as a boss because the adds actually add something to the boss fight itself. I'm not spending time dumping ammo into adds instead of the boss, I'm dodge rolling at the right time to negate them while fitting it into Gorefist's charges and swings. In a way, they're basically just another mechanic he does. This is way out of the norm of most of the boss fights in this game, and you can count boss fights that are different on one hand.

Also gonna blow your mind here, most dark souls bosses are dodge attack, hit boss, dodge attack. The trick to O&S is knowing when it's safe to attack them and being patient while running away constantly. You can try to use a pillar to force an opening, but it's not reliable and you can do that here, too. Manus, Artorias, and Fume Knight are all highly praised dark souls bosses, and all of them are dodging and waiting for openings. That you can use guns in this is moot.

It’s not moot at all, it’s the big difference. Despite those fights just consisting of weaving attacks into dodging them, they’re still fun and exciting because you have to get up close and actually interact with all the different telegraphs and hit boxes. In a game where you can do damage from a distance, they have to come up with some way to keep the fight challenging, and adds, while not being particularly interesting, are an easy way to do that.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

As a MH player, that's at absolute peak play with absolutely optimal gear. On the flipside, no Dark Souls boss should take you more than a minute, MAYBE two, with no special sets or gear you need to invest time into for that specific fight. DS3 has more bosses that are functionally undamageable while they do aoe tornado attacks that will hurt you if you get close, but still - for the average player, average killtime is what matters, and MH fights are significantly longer than souls bosses.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The primary method of attack being ranged makes all the difference in the world, though? It's a known trait of Demon's and Dark Souls that building for sorcery(or hexes, or pyromancy, or miracles, depending on the specific game) is an easy way to trivialize a huge swathe of the bosses because attacking at range is inherently a much safer and more conservative approach to combat than exposing yourself to melee and it changes the entire flow of the game. The style of boss design that works well in Souls works well specifically because of assumed restrictions on the player's mode of attack and breaks down if those assumptions are broken.

Most Remnant guns aren't glorified melee weapons, they're extremely effective at very long ranges(relative to the size of the areas in the game, of course). This means that when building a boss for this kind of system you need to effectively account for players engaging at ranges from "melee" to "across the entire arena" and attempt have the boss fight remain threatening at all those range bands without feeling bullshit cheap or unduly punishing to specific playstyles, which is immeasurably harder than designing a good boss around the assumption that the player has to hit it with a sword.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 19, 2019

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

fadam posted:

It’s not moot at all, it’s the big difference. Despite those fights just consisting of weaving attacks into dodging them, they’re still fun and exciting because you have to get up close and actually interact with all the different telegraphs and hit boxes. In a game where you can do damage from a distance, they have to come up with some way to keep the fight challenging, and adds, while not being particularly interesting, are an easy way to do that.

The point you made (all bosses being shoot, run from boss, shoot) is moot. This is a different argument.

One of the reasons Gorefist is a better boss fight than, say, Hive, is because the arena itself is much better designed. It's full of claustrophobic corridors and some open areas with pillars that never really give you quite enough distance to feel safe from his melee. There are a lot of ways to make bosses more interesting without adds, and that's the problem. They went with the easy way every time.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

As a MH player, that's at absolute peak play with absolutely optimal gear. On the flipside, no Dark Souls boss should take you more than a minute, MAYBE two, with no special sets or gear you need to invest time into for that specific fight. DS3 has more bosses that are functionally undamageable while they do aoe tornado attacks that will hurt you if you get close, but still - for the average player, average killtime is what matters, and MH fights are significantly longer than souls bosses.

You're not killing gargoyles first time in under a minute, and when you are it's because you ran over to get the RTSR beforehand, and also picked up just enough souls and materials to upgrade a battleaxe to be able to do that fight. If that's not specialized I don't know what is.

Kanos posted:

The primary method of attack being ranged makes all the difference in the world, though? It's a known trait of Demon's and Dark Souls that building for sorcery(or hexes, or pyromancy, or miracles, depending on the specific game) is an easy way to trivialize a huge swathe of the bosses because attacking at range is inherently a much safer and more conservative approach to combat than exposing yourself to melee and it changes the entire flow of the game. The style of boss design that works well in Souls works well specifically because of assumed restrictions on the player's mode of attack and breaks down if those assumptions are broken.

Most Remnant guns aren't glorified melee weapons, they're extremely effective at very long ranges(relative to the size of the areas in the game, of course). This means that when building a boss for this kind of system you need to effectively account for players engaging at ranges from "melee" to "across the entire arena" and attempt have the boss fight remain threatening at all those range bands without feeling bullshit cheap or unduly punishing to specific playstyles, which is immeasurably harder than designing a good boss around the assumption that the player has to hit it with a sword.

That's because the magic in those games were designed to specifically be an easier way to play the game. There's a reason dark magic in DS2 works the way it does, and that's to be an in-game difficulty slider.

Let's do a thought experiment. Make a dark magic caster in your head and put them in the lost sinner boss fight. Not too hard, a little dodging and you should be fine, especially if you lit the fires beforehand.

Now put a couple pillars in so you don't have infinite LOS on the sinner. And we didn't even have to use adds.

It's almost like you're arguing the boss designers have no control over what the arena looks like, and it's a real weird position to take. In a game like this, boss arena design is just as important as the bosses themselves, and for a lot of them they did a really good job. Singe's breakable arena and oil patches allow a depth for what area is actually safe and for Singe to make areas unsafe over time, so you might decide to stay where there isn't any cover for a bit and dodge more so that you have cover later on to use.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm glad another Souls-alike thread has descended almost immediately into pedantic bickering.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Orv posted:

I'm glad another Souls-alike thread has descended almost immediately into pedantic bickering.

Before the game has even officially released. :bravo:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Orv posted:

It's not quite steam forums bad but it's pretty loving bad.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Hey now, it's not a Souls argument. Nobody has suggested that the primary solution is to "git guud"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The point you made (all bosses being shoot, run from boss, shoot) is moot. This is a different argument.

One of the reasons Gorefist is a better boss fight than, say, Hive, is because the arena itself is much better designed. It's full of claustrophobic corridors and some open areas with pillars that never really give you quite enough distance to feel safe from his melee. There are a lot of ways to make bosses more interesting without adds, and that's the problem. They went with the easy way every time.

Gorefist's arena is really bad because there's no reason to not just immediately beeline to the back corner area, which is much more open than the rest and gives you access to the stairwell which you can use to loop his AI by running up/dropping down whenever you need to. There's no reason to wander through the horror movie corridors at all, which means that like 3/4 of the cool arena design is totally wasted.

A much better example of a great arena design is Sear and Scald, which uses fire attack hazards and the main boss's explosive arrow barrages to force you to continually relocate through what amounts to an urban warfare setting of mixed range bands. The adds also add a ton of spice to this dynamic because you have to be constantly aware of where you have a safe exit when/if you need to move on.

quote:

That's because the magic in those games were designed to specifically be an easier way to play the game. There's a reason dark magic in DS2 works the way it does, and that's to be an in-game difficulty slider.

Let's do a thought experiment. Make a dark magic caster in your head and put them in the lost sinner boss fight. Not too hard, a little dodging and you should be fine, especially if you lit the fires beforehand.

Now put a couple pillars in so you don't have infinite LOS on the sinner. And we didn't even have to use adds.

It's almost like you're arguing the boss designers have no control over what the arena looks like, and it's a real weird position to take. In a game like this, boss arena design is just as important as the bosses themselves, and for a lot of them they did a really good job. Singe's breakable arena and oil patches allow a depth for what area is actually safe and for Singe to make areas unsafe over time, so you might decide to stay where there isn't any cover for a bit and dodge more so that you have cover later on to use.

In your proverbial Lost Sinner scenario, it wouldn't really change anything about how you approach the fight as a caster unless you stuffed the entire room with pillars and made it so there were no effective longer-than-melee-range fire lanes anywhere(at which point you're largely just deciding you don't want ranged combat to be an approach you can take). Like if you put half a dozen big pillars around the room cheesing the fight becomes a bit harder but it just means you strafe around a pillar before you shoot instead of just shooting.

I've fought Singe like half a dozen times at this point and I don't think I've ever really noticed his flame patch gimmick mattering at all. They're very sparsely placed around the room. If anything, they could stand to be denser so you had to give a poo poo about them.

You know, actually, now that I'm thinking about that I think we actually have a lot of common ground. You could spice up a lot of the fights in this game by tweaking arenas so environmental hazards mattered a lot more to force you into confronting the boss more aggressively or in less favorable conditions. If Singe was pseudo-timed with the whole place slowly becoming a fiery wasteland so you had to attack him aggressively, or if Totem Father would blow up parts of his arena with lightning and narrow the engagement ranges or something, I think that would make those fights way cooler, and in some cases could let you remove or lighten the adds without making the fight a snorefest.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 19, 2019

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Can't wait to put together this melee crit/bleed build

https://www.reddit.com/r/remnantgame/comments/csjmjn/crazy_melee_build_big_hits/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2xfDKcOwhE&t=55s

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just got to The Harrow and the adds just seem untenable solo. Once they start spawning you're swarmed by those scythe-arm dicks more or less constantly, and I don't have anything that lets me clear large groups more than once a minute or so. I think I'm just going to come back here once I outgear it.

Ougher posted:

Before the game has even officially released. :bravo:

The "release date" on this game is super weird, to be fair. Like hey you can buy and play the release build right now but it totally hasn't been released yet somehow.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bardeh posted:

Darksiders 3 and a VR game loosely based in the same universe as this game.

I know this is old but it's a direct sequel to Chronos, not just the same universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8twzdNMOek

The main character of that game is the warrior referenced in the intro that you're supposed to find out what happened to

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I just got to The Harrow and the adds just seem untenable solo. Once they start spawning you're swarmed by those scythe-arm dicks more or less constantly, and I don't have anything that lets me clear large groups more than once a minute or so. I think I'm just going to come back here once I outgear it.
Specials that give you aggro-control abilities (spore pod, meatball summons, etc) are a godsend for solo players. Highly recommend giving them a shot when you can. The meatballs in particular synergize well with a ring that heals you on melee (their attacks count as your melee).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've killed Gorefist, Brabus and Singe for my first playthrough for now. Brabus was a real pain in the rear end as it seemed him and his adds had lightning reflexes mixed with pinpoint accuracy. I get that difficulty is a draw of Soulslikes but making it so that a guy running around can reliably nail me with a shotgun from across the room at the drop of a hat is a bit ridiculous. I figured out how to cheese the fight to win it which kind of sucks. Gorefist and Singe were good fights though.

I haven't found too many secrets, so my gear might be lacking. But I'm still enjoying the game very much right now, it's thematically very cool and still has real tight gameplay. I think it could use some more balancing tweaks a bit but I haven't had fun like this in a good long while.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
So if I'm reading that dev post about ilevel and scaling correctly, the optimum way to run through the game is to never upgrade anything? All zones will initially be set at your ilev +1 the first time you zone into it so if you're ilev 1 and you never upgrade anything, everything will always be exactly +1 hard. This can't be right, can it?

If true, an optimum strategy might be rolling with unupgraded gear, finding a hard boss and having it kill you (setting its level in stone for that campaign run) and then upgrading your gear just enough to beat it. Repeat for each difficult boss.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Merrill Grinch posted:

So if I'm reading that dev post about ilevel and scaling correctly, the optimum way to run through the game is to never upgrade anything? All zones will initially be set at your ilev +1 the first time you zone into it so if you're ilev 1 and you never upgrade anything, everything will always be exactly +1 hard. This can't be right, can it?

If true, an optimum strategy might be rolling with unupgraded gear, finding a hard boss and having it kill you (setting its level in stone for that campaign run) and then upgrading your gear just enough to beat it. Repeat for each difficult boss.

No. The dev post points out that certain areas (boss fights I believe) have hardcoded minimum levels. I think their example was the ent boss being level 5, meaning that you are going to get your poo poo pushed in if you try to roll in with level 1 gear. You also won't be finding items to level up your gear into the higher tiers.

A similar version of your strat is to just hold off on levelling gear until you get to a boss you're having trouble with. I've done that a few times, but the difference in gear level isn't that big anyways unless you're dropping multiple levels at once, which would be a one time thing.

The actual leveling system in the game is traits, because there doesn't appear to be any scaling to your trait level, and the cost of new traits never scales.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Interesting little trick, the Osseous Armor's bonus for +damage on kills stacks on damaging a boss. Means that you can do genuinely silly damage on bosses with weak points or certain builds.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

El Cid posted:

Hey now, it's not a Souls argument. Nobody has suggested that the primary solution is to "git guud"

The best solution

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I could only find one glowing rod on the desert planet. I went back and I guess found s second in one of the dungeons so I have 2. I got the chest and pants akari armor but I have no idea where the last rod could be. I checked all the dungeons over again as far as I can tell. Welp. I heard it can be cheesed open in multiplayer?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

vandalism posted:

I could only find one glowing rod on the desert planet. I went back and I guess found s second in one of the dungeons so I have 2. I got the chest and pants akari armor but I have no idea where the last rod could be. I checked all the dungeons over again as far as I can tell. Welp. I heard it can be cheesed open in multiplayer?

If you got the first two in normal dungeons, then the third is in the dungeon that gives you a debuff where your health drains so you basically have to speedrun it.

Also, the Triage trait helps a ton with this part.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Final boss:

0/10. Terrible. It was just a chore, and you had to have a billion heals just to survive. I had to cheese it with the bees plus the breath of the desert - activate bees, since your damage is multiplied out the wazoo you can just spam the desert spell as long as the bees last. Only risk is in getting close enough that the bees home in on it, and then you have to not die from the fireballs. Zero thought or challenge otherwise. I dunno how you're supposed to kill it with guns, it would just one shot you over and over.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lemming posted:

Final boss:

0/10. Terrible. It was just a chore, and you had to have a billion heals just to survive. I had to cheese it with the bees plus the breath of the desert - activate bees, since your damage is multiplied out the wazoo you can just spam the desert spell as long as the bees last. Only risk is in getting close enough that the bees home in on it, and then you have to not die from the fireballs. Zero thought or challenge otherwise. I dunno how you're supposed to kill it with guns, it would just one shot you over and over.

Not sure if you got all the mechanics right, since I had trouble with it until I puzzled it out:

The fireballs are fairly easy to dodge, but unintuitive. The trick isn't to roll, just sprint to the side and they should never hit you.

As far as damaging the boss, you build up stacks in the alternate world (anywhere around 10 is fine) and then shoot the boss with the multiplied damage. But it isn't that part where you actually hurt him.

If you do enough damage he does a flashy thing that wipes out your damage buff. This is the actual damage phase. The kid in its ribcage is exposed and takes somewhere in the range of 250,000 damage per rifle shot while exposed.

You should be able to burst him down in two or three rotations, it took me two but it was a fairly close call.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Caros posted:

Not sure if you got all the mechanics right, since I had trouble with it until I puzzled it out:

The fireballs are fairly easy to dodge, but unintuitive. The trick isn't to roll, just sprint to the side and they should never hit you.

As far as damaging the boss, you build up stacks in the alternate world (anywhere around 10 is fine) and then shoot the boss with the multiplied damage. But it isn't that part where you actually hurt him.

If you do enough damage he does a flashy thing that wipes out your damage buff. This is the actual damage phase. The kid in its ribcage is exposed and takes somewhere in the range of 250,000 damage per rifle shot while exposed.

You should be able to burst him down in two or three rotations, it took me two but it was a fairly close call.

Yeah but you need to be far enough away to run sideways to dodge attacks, or at least I died literally every single time when I tried when I was closer. Without that cheese maneuver I couldn't do enough damage but also be far enough away to not get blasted in one hit. To be fair I didn't try shooting the kid because I didn't see that anything had changed; I guess I should have paid better attention, but again I needed to be far enough away that I didn't see it.

Either way, you didn't need to be any good at the game. That phase was just stupid. The first phase was more fun.

Edit: everything in nightmare one shots me :qq:

Lemming fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 20, 2019

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Merrill Grinch posted:

I would just play the game like a normal person and enjoy the experience

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm sure this has been asked already but is this game solid. i didn't know poo poo about it existing until yesterday but it sounds pretty dope if it plays out the way it should. like, i'm hoping the controls are tight and combat feels nice. is the 'proc-gen' sorta stuff handled well?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm sure this has been asked already but is this game solid. i didn't know poo poo about it existing until yesterday but it sounds pretty dope if it plays out the way it should. like, i'm hoping the controls are tight and combat feels nice. is the 'proc-gen' sorta stuff handled well?

Goons so far seem pretty polarized between "This is totally hosed" and "This is totally rad." I know you don't want to read the thread to get your answer but people have been pretty up front about it all so far and that might be your best bet, if you trust goon opinion.

I think it has some problems and it's definitely priced at $40 for a reason (albeit the reason that gamers will look at it and think lower price, it's genuinely got $60 worth of game in it) but overall it's the purely funnest game I've played in a while, for my money.

And for what it's worth I don't think the add design of the boss fights is one of those problems.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Orv posted:

Goons so far seem pretty polarized between "This is totally hosed" and "This is totally rad." I know you don't want to read the thread to get your answer but people have been pretty up front about it all so far and that might be your best bet, if you trust goon opinion.

I think it has some problems and it's definitely priced at $40 for a reason (albeit the reason that gamers will look at it and think lower price, it's genuinely got $60 worth of game in it) but overall it's the purely funnest game I've played in a while, for my money.

And for what it's worth I don't think the add design of the boss fights is one of those problems.

usually i do tend to look through a bit but i mostly saw what looked to be weird arguing before this so i wasn't sure what to make of it all because focusing on it would probably spoil me on things. opinions definitely seem pretty alright on it and the 40 dollar price tag is nice, honestly.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

I really enjoy the moment to moment gameplay, it feels very tight and not sloppy at all, bosses are hit and miss for people, I think they're largely really good. Multi seems the ideal way to play, but single player is fine too.

Proc gen basically means you get random stuff, including certain quests and bosses, so you can't get everything in just one world/playthrough. You'll need to reroll worlds or visit other people to get everything.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh hey I found an actually bad boss, one where dodging doesn't matter, swell design in a Souls-alike. Dual fire boss in world 4.

E: That was unquestionably the worst boss I have ever fought in a game in this genre.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 20, 2019

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I read someone say that games that are primarily fun with friends are not particularly good because everything is fun with friends. I've been playing mostly solo and I still dont know. The gameplay feels good but the random world does not. It would be better to have a bigger open world with every dungeon each run. The trait system is ok I guess but if they had a leveling system with stats and builds co opted directly from dark souls it would be an improvement. Games try different stuff in these genres but dark souls 3 was perfection so stealing every system from that is good and right.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finished it last night with friends, I really enjoyed it. Considering going through it again on higher difficulty, as you reach each new tier of gear, new monsters show up in each world, and they get progressively nastier.

We also made some mutually exclusive choices throughout the story and saw some events in each other's worlds that were completely different (including unique traits, gear, bosses, weapons, even consumable buff items).

The weapons and mods are also extremely fun, tons of variety, and a handful of very satisfying (and occasionally weird) abilities and weapons.

Traits seem to be the progression system for later game, since gear caps out eventually, once all the enemy types are unlocked and fully scaled, you'll get your power edge from traits and your armor/accessory combination.

I wound up using the armor that gives a huge crit chance and melee damage bonus for perfect dodging. Pairing that with an energy damage bonus amulet, straight damage ring, and another ring that occasionally gave "super" critical hits resulted in some truly absurd damage output after doing a perfect dodge.

I swapped between the melee defense/reflect mod and other stuff depending on what and where we were fighting, using an energy beam rifle and energy three round burst rifle when I wasn't murdering poo poo in melee.

There's also some really strong healing/defensive/distraction mods, all very useful both solo and in a group.

Technically there's some jank, we ran into a variety of multiplayer bugs, but nothing that wasn't fixed with a quick reconnect, and nothing progression blocking.

Oh and gently caress the one person using a shopkeeper at a time thing, that part blows :v:

Music was mostly forgettable, graphics were solid, with some extremely cool world design in some places. Story setting was really neat, story execution was meh. Play it for the weird rear end worlds, not the storytelling.

I really liked the variety of enemy types and bosses, always something new to see, and having new enemy types show up as you went up in gear tiers was cool.

Overall I had fun with it, got my money's worth regardless of whether I wind up going through it again on higher difficulty or not. Not a game with endless staying power or replayability, but I dig how our worlds were all slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

usually i do tend to look through a bit but i mostly saw what looked to be weird arguing before this so i wasn't sure what to make of it all because focusing on it would probably spoil me on things. opinions definitely seem pretty alright on it and the 40 dollar price tag is nice, honestly.

As one side of said weird argument, apologies.

The game is fundamentally very fun. The game's absolutely not perfect and there are definitely rough spots that need to be ironed out, but it's a very good experience for $40 that has a pretty shocking amount of content, and it's even more fun with friends than it is solo. The only important tip I'd give you is to stick to normal if you're playing solo, because playing the game fresh on hard completely solo is going to be very frustrating and not very fun.