Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Stab wishes to exhaust almost the entirety of his remaining cap space in selecting fellow beauty Cal Clutterbuck.

Jonathan Fisk up until 7:45 PM EST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Skip me

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'll finish with Mark Letestu.

Team Old Man is officially:

Parise - Bergeron - Radulov
Vanek - Stastny - Dadonov
Roussel - Staal - Pominville
Raffl - Anisimov - Reaves
Letestu

Burns - Hjalmarsson
Shattenkirk - Gunnarsson
Bouwmeester - Holzer
Prosser

Dubnyk
McElhinney
Bachman

Finishing under the cap when committed to a gimmick like this is a success in my books.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Calle Rosen.

E: The Oilers are back, baby.

Gabriel Landeskog - William Nylander - Brock Nelson
Jakub Vrana - Erik Haula - Josh Anderson
Sean Kuraly - Boone Jenner - Nick Suzuki
Kyle Clifford - Alex Texier - Markus Hannikainen
Scratches : Chandler Stephenson, Par Lindholm

Jaccob Slavin - Tyson Barrie
Ryan Murray - Madison Bowey
Olli Maatta - Connor Clifton
Scratches : Calle Rosen

Goaltenders
Dave Rittich
Phoenix Copley

Coach
Jared Bednar

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 19, 2019

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Jets will select Todd Reirden as our coach because he's available and until there are fancy stats I can misinterpret for coaches I dont really care.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Drunk Canuck (8:01 PM EST)
Kilza
JawKnee
Kuule hain nussivan
FBS

Skipped:
lazerwolf
Jonathan Fisk

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
So here's my team. I'm pretty confident I have the best defense out of everyone. I have a good mix of sound positional players, veteran leadership, and primo shitheads. A little concerned about my secondary scoring (especially my 2nd line), not a huge fan of my winger depth but seriously guys, your teams have to go through 5 #1-2 dmen to score on Carey loving Price.

I may have the positions and lhd rhd wrong but gently caress it you guys know what i mean

Nick Ritchie - John Tavares - Cam Atkinson
Jake Virtanen - Nolan Patrick - Corey loving Perry
Daniel Sprong - Jason Spezza - Austin Watson
Michael Rasmussen - Scott Laughton - Cal Clutterbuck
Ex: Ryan Poehling

Stab's sick d of amazingness

John Carlson - Noah Hanifin
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Dustin Byfuglien
Erik Johnson - Nick Seeler
Ex: Noah Juulsen, Scott Harrington

Carey Price
Keith Kincaid

Coach: Craig Berube

Man I have SO MANY SHITHEADS. Like half the team has some type of "did something wrong" history. I love it.

This team came in 235k under the cap. Suck it, prospect drafting.

stab fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 20, 2019

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You hosed up and didn't pick Voinov. Sorry. Also you probably could use a third good forward. Or Matt Martin and Leo Komarov.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

eXXon posted:

You hosed up and didn't pick Voinov. Sorry. Also you probably could use a third good forward. Or Matt Martin and Leo Komarov.

Matts already drafted and leo vs cal is a coin flip for shitheadedness and i only could have afforded one :(

stab fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 20, 2019

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

It's time for my final pick. My 14th forward is Jujhar Khaira. I'll do a bit of a write-up on my team when I'm not phone posting.

Nyquist - Monahan - Wheeler
Johansson - Trocheck - White
Nieto - Steel - Hornqvist
Erne - Ryan - Sceviour
Extra: Brassard, Khaira

Hedman - Petry
McNabb - Miller
Oesterle - Weegar
Extra: Rutta

Raanta
Francouz

Coach: Jon Cooper

Next up:
JawKnee (until 10:05 AM EST)
Kuule hain nussivan
FBS
lazerwolf
Ergo Propter Hog

Skipped:
lazerwolf
Jonathan Fisk
Drunk Canuck

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

in honor of his signing I'll take valeri nichushkin

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
For my last pick I'm going to take another forward prospect who may not play this season in Nathan Bastian

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
nice work folks. let's close this out tomorrow

Kuule hain nussivan (10:42 AM EST)
FBS
lazerwolf
Ergo Propter Hog
fawning deference
Jordan7hm

Skipped:
lazerwolf
Drunk Canuck

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

somebody busted round 14 on the spreadsheet

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

What's wrong with it?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

A couple of names were erased, but I managed to get them back in there.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

sounds like cap circumvention to me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well there's only one person busting the cap this year

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Canucks final lineup below, with the likely positions as well.

Filip Forsberg - Tomas Hertl - Mitchell Marner
Rickard Rakell - Andreas Athanasiou - Kyle Palmieri
Miles Wood - Ryan Strome - Anthony Duclair
Alexander Steen - Mark Jankowski - Karson Kuhlman
Nathan Bastian Zach Senyshyn

Alexander Edler - Travis Sanheim
Dennis Cholowski - Brandon Montour
Joel Edmundson - Johnny Boychuk
Gustav Forsling

Jack Campbell
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

I really like my forward crew - the top 3 lines should be fairly entertaining and dangerous; the 4th should offer some depth scoring, and all 3 players have possession stats over 50% - Kuhlman is obviously unknown at this point, but I figure one of Bastian or Senyshyn can slot in for him (or Steen when he gets injured).

My Defense I'm less enthused with; while I have promising talent in Sanheim and Montour, and Edler can obviously play a top-4 role, I'm concerned with Cholowski and Boychuk. That's what I get for using my first 6 picks on forwards I guess.

The biggest unknown are my Goaltenders. Campbell put up great numbers but in less than half a season's worth of games, and Luukkonen hasn't played a single pro game yet.

Also depending on how big Marner's contract comes in at I could be in trouble next season with 10 contracts (though mostly RFAs) expiring, and 46m + marner's to-be-signed contract already on the books for that year

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

DALLAS EAKINS COME ON DOWN

HE HATES THE THE JUNKFOOD EATERS IN THE MEDIA

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Gonna grab an honest, hard-working, good o'l Finn boy to act as a call up / AHL fodder in Leo Komarov!

I'll just hard ball all my RFAs and sign them for peanuts, because no one offer sheets in the NHL and then in a few years when all my bad contracts are gone I'll have plenty of space to sign all the superstars and pluggers my prospects have turned into.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

15 picks left, let's wrap it up tomorrow.

Next up:
FBS (until 12 PM EST)
lazerwolf (?)
Ergo Propter Hog
fawning deference
Jordan7hm

Skipped:
lazerwolf

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The Anaheim Ducks today have named Benoit Groulx head coach. With the announcement, Groulx becomes the 11th head coach in franchise history, because A) he has a cool name B) hopefully he’s cool with making ABB a full-time NHLer and C) ownership chooses to believe that NHL experience is overrated.

The 2019-2020 Anaheim Ducks, and my thoughts:
pre:
Evander Kane            Sebastian Aho            Mark Stone (A)
Andreas Johnsson        Dylan Strome            Frank Vatrano
Mathieu Perreault (A)        Jeff Carter            Alex Barre-Boulet
Jason Dickinson            Oskar Sundqvist            David Kampf
Jesper Boqvist

Oliver Ekman-Larsson (C)    Scott Mayfield
        Matthias Ekholm            Adam Larsson
        Nathan Beaulieu            Stephen Johns
        Rasmus Sandin, Tucker Poolman

Juuse Saros
                Jonathan Bernier

Coach: Benoit Groulx

• I’m pretty happy with this team*
• Before the draft started I had no plan or gimmick aside from ‘draft a good team’ and ‘stay out of cap hell’ :v: As early as my fourth pick Strome I was keeping contract length/expiry in mind.
• And, yet, after six rounds I’d taken Aho, Stone, OEL, and Kane, who are all signed to long-term, market-value contracts. This established Anaheim as a win now, cap-ceiling team in terms of salary structure
• The last time I did this in 2017 I felt pressured by the cap floor, but ended up clearing it by ~$7m. This time I quickly felt pressured by the cap ceiling but I underestimated how fast the Cap Hit / Selection would fall and wound up with ~$13m left after selecting 20 players
• I went cheap with goaltending but that was more about the SV% you get from a $10m goalie vs a $average goalie and the way the goalie market in general has been. I fully intend to give Saros a healthy raise in two years if he becomes a legit established starter at that point; but in this draft the value of grabbing a top 5 goalie just isn’t there for GM FBS
• The defense could be better. In hindsight that’s where I’d spend that unrealized cap room from two bullet points ago
• I’m really counting on OEL and Ekholm to each carry their pairings and I’d plan on a balanced TOI split between the top four. Mayfield was a pure contract value pick and I could have done better there. Johns felt like a fun pick at the time but it’s probably 50/50 that he plays at all this year and even if he does there’s no promise he’s back to his old self. Everybody after that is depth. I did choose to abide by handedness for the D which was interesting
• After Erne got traded, Alex Barre-Boulet’s chances went up quite a bit but probably only enough to equal Jesper Boqvist’s; hopefully at least one of the two makes the NHL
• I’m still happy with the risk on Carter in the 21st round, even if he completely implodes, given my contract structure at the time of that pick

In conclusion, the Anaheim Ducks are a team of contrasts. It feels like a pretty realistic roster since most of the core top-end talent is signed long-term and none of the prospects are lottery-pick game-breaker candidates. The window will closing soon, but I don’t think it’s quite shut yet if I can get a few bounce-back years from the vets and a breakout season from one of the young guys.

*because the only real benchmark for me is the 2017-18 Boston Bruins, which was my last GM job, and, uh :rip::

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Next up:
Ergo Propter Hog (until 12 PM EST)
fawning deference
Jordan7hm
EL BROMANCE
Teemu Pokemon

Skipped:
lazerwolf (x2)

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

I'll take Garret Sparks as as a third string goalie.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Vegas selects Tomas Nosek and Michael Amadio to wrap it up

code:
Anders Lee	Leon Draisaitl	Vladimir Tarasenko
Roope Hintz	Max Domi	Ondrej Kase
Marcus Sorensen	Morgan Frost	Andrew Shaw
Joel Farabee	Ryan Carpenter	Saku Maenalanen
Tomas Nosek	Michael Amadio	

Esa Lindell	Dougie Hamilton	
Devon Toews	Jacob Trouba	
Matt Niskanen	Matt Benning	
Ian Cole			

Thomas Greiss		
Spencer Knight

Peter DeBoer	

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 20, 2019

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'll end with Jeremy Davies

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jordan skipped.

Next up:
EL BROMANCE (until 3:31 PM EST)
Teemu Pokemon
eXXon
Jamwad Hilder
corn on the cop

Skipped:
Jordan7hm

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

With $8m still in the bank, the Panthers choose Jimmy Schuldt and spend the rest on blow.

Mike Hoffman Jake Guentzel Patrick Kane
Blake Coleman Tyler Johnson Tom Wilson
Alex Iafallo Mikko Koivu Brock McGinn
Matt Calvert Pierre-Édouard Bellemare Melker Karlsson

Roman Josi Ryan Pulock
Nick Leddy Dylan DeMelo
Jordie Benn Deryk Engelland

Ben Bishop
Cal Petersen

Scratches
Dryden Hunt
Jimmy Schuldt

Coach Bombay

Critics are calling it "absolutely a collection of players who exist".

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Teemu Pokemon selects Derek Grant

eXXon (4:23 PM EST)
Jamwad Hitler
corn on the cop
rex rabidorum vires
T-Bone
Ginette Reno
HootTheOwl

Skipped:
Jordan7hm

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
behold ye mighty and despair

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Eight picks left! I'm amazed at how good HAS has gotten at completing this thing vs a few years ago

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
it's because you're all so lovely and responsible

Jamwad Hitler due up in four minutes

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
it's not hitler come on dude

anyway I'm going to take Urho Vaakanainen as my 7th defenseman and continue to lean into "hopefully some of these 1st round pick defensemen pan out" strategy

final roster, with $16.3M in cap space to spare

Ehlers-Dubois-Kucherov
Donato-Backstrom-Oshie
Tolvanen-Coyle-Joseph
Fabbri-Wennberg-Caufield
Extras: Denisenko, Suzuki

Nurse-Schultz
Martinez-Wilde
Grzelcyk-Merkley
Vaakanainen

Hellebuyck
Samsonov

Coach: Todd McLellan

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
that's extremely a faux pas on my bad brain and i swear to not do it again

i'll take Riley Sheahan and disappear in shame

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Next up:
rex rabidorum vires (until 6:48 PM EST)
T-Bone
Ginette Reno
HootTheOwl

Skipped:
Jordan7hm
eXXon

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
:godwin: aside...lets move on. Carolina would like to invite Darryl Sutter to coach our dumb bad hockey team.

Here's where we ended up:

Schwartz - Matthews - Zucker
Lehkonen - Backlund - Toffoli
Pirri - Gagner - Wagner
Copp - Cousins - Panik
Ladd

I think this is a forward corp with a lot of flexibility in it. The top end talent might not all be there, but this is a team that can grind you down with speed and puck possession. Pirri hasn't stuck so far, but Ladd provides some extra veteran presence there. Copp/cousins/Panik are all players that have faced hard zone starts in the past and done well in those situations.

Orlov-Doughty
Cernak-Nutivaara
Biega-Kukan
Ladue

The d core can kind of go either way. If Doughty is cooked he could move down and pair with Nutivaara and hopefully Cernak can step up. The 3rd pairing will have to be sheltered, but with offensive zone starts they will generate chances. Ladue can absolutely fit into that mold, and has shown to not suffer too much if he has to step into a #4 role. Kukan maybe be able to also slot into the 4 spot in a pinch.

Grubauer
Dell
Jarry

Grubauer has had starter like numbers, but not shown he's a starter yet. Dell had a great first season....a solid 2nd, and then a poo poo show of a 3rd. So long as he's more the 2nd season than last season goalie he will capable of backing up or maybe platoon. With Jarry it's hard to say. He's had a solid AHL career and is only 24. He showed flashes 2 years ago that he might be a competent backup. If Dell falters Jarry at least seems well placed to fill that gap.

With Sutter we have a coach that runs a fairly strict system that we think will suit this rosters needs. Defensive structure then a lot of suffocating neutral zone play with plenty of shot generation on the offensive end.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'll go with Bill Peters who seems reasonable

Connor-MacKinnon-Terry
Gusev-Hischier-Kovalchuk
McCann-Borgstrom-Kyrou
Jones-Andersson-Gurianov

The first line will be good, perhaps really good if Terry continues his trajectory. Second line is a bit of a crapshoot but I'm very high on Hischier and Gusev and I think they could get something out of Kovy. The third line is questionable -- Kyrou is going to be a good NHLer but it might not be this year -- same with Borgstrom. They both project as good top six players but it could be too soon. Jones/Andersson could be a disaster on the 4th line but I'm hoping both of them turn into solid third line quality NHLers. Gurianov is interesting because he took a big step last year but then Dallas went out and signed a bunch of vets so I'm not sure where he fits in this season for them. Actually looking at it again I kinda like my 3rd line and but I probably should have drafted some safer vets for the 4th.

Morrissey-Ekblad
Girard-Gudas
Brannstrom-Greene
Gudbranson

I actually like my top four a lot. None of them are quite top 20 d in the league but they would all fall soon after that, just a really solid playoff quality group. Greene/Gudbranson would be the likely 3rd veteran pair and that's fine enough, with the hope that Gudbranson looks more like his Pittsburgh self when paired with Andy.

Binnington
Lundqvist

If Binnington regresses hard then Lundqvist comes in and maybe doesn't suck too much. Definitely a 50/30 split though.

Prospects: K. Miller/Zegras

Brannstrom/Miller/Zegras gives this team something to look forward to if all else fails.

Head Coach: Bill Peters

Seems like a good New NHL coach who definitely does not have an ancient curse befallen on him that causes all of his goalies to suck big dick

e: oh and I've got a ton of cap space hooray

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 20, 2019

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

4 more picks!

Next up:
Ginette Reno (until 7:22 PM EST)
HootTheOwl

Skipped:
Jordan7hm
eXXon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Alright for my last pick I will take Philip Broberg to get a defenseman in the system. No idea if he even has a chance to make the Oilers but he'd be in my system if not.

Benn-McDavid-Garland
Fiala-Hayes-Grundstrom
Byron-Kerfoot-Blueger
Comtois-Faksa-Hawryluk

Dumoulin-Letang
Gostisbehere-Weber
Fleury-Sekera

Gibson
Talbot

Boldy
Broberg
Kupari

Head Coach: Mike Sullivan

Scratches: Well these guys wouldn't be scratches and would probably start in the system but I didn't want to draft scratches with any of my picks and figured I'd rather get some prospects instead. If my team needed they could find guys to be scratches easily enough.

Forward outlook: My center depth is pretty good. I'm sure there are some teams with better, but I feel very comfortable with this group of centers. Faksa is more of a 3c but on my team he'll get a lot of the heavy lifting with d-zone draws and pk assignments so should still get plenty of ice time even though he's my 4c. Hayes has a massive contract but is a good player, and so is Kerfoot. Mcdavid is Mcdavid. My wings have a lot of youth. Maybe too much. Benn, Fiala, and Byron should be reliable players, but there's no telling what a lot of the rest of my wingers would do. Still those three wingers plus my centers should be enough to be a competitive team, especially when you factor in my great defense and Gibson. I'm maybe a little soft up front but plenty of skill and speed. If my team were struggling badly on the wings I could probably move one of my defenseman to address that and still be ok.

Defense outlook: I'm quite pleased with this d. That top 4 would get rode a lot and the bottom pair has a young upside guy in Fleury and then a decent vet in Sekera. Weber is old and has that massive deal but is still productive and sould be fine in the 4d spot. Letang and Dumo are already one of the top pairs in the NHL so there would be some familiarity there for them. Weber and Letang provide an element of meanness too which I know you can't measure that by stats and what not but gently caress it if the old time hockey fan in me doesn't value having some physicality in the lineup. Oh god it's a slippery slope from there to Jim Benning.

Goalie outlook: Gibson is a top goalie in the league and probably gets forgotten about a bit since the Ducks are such a tire fire. Talbot is questionable as a starter but could hopefully get back to putting up solid numbers as a back up for me.

Coach Outlook: Well this roster should have plenty of speed both up front and on the back end so they should be able to play the high tempo game that Sully likes.

Overall I like my team. This feels like one of the better ones I've drafted. Helps to be in the #2 spot I suppose.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 20, 2019