Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I do wonder if it's possible to mod districts into Civ 5, and if someone's tried it. You could make a district a special improvement and have buildings confer bonuses to that improvement instead (e.g. Library grants +1 science to each Campus improvement). Limiting each city to one of each district would be the second hardest part though (the hardest being getting the AI to not be completely poo poo at using it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

I went back to Civ V, and it's so much better after a few years of VI.

Trade routes benefit the target civ.
No micromanaging religious combat.
Spy managment isn't a constant concern.
World Council isn't some nightmare made up by a child.

I want that game with districts.

districts + civ 6 city states imo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Human Crouton posted:

I went back to Civ V, and it's so much better after a few years of VI.

Trade routes benefit the target civ.
No micromanaging religious combat.
Spy managment isn't a constant concern.
World Council isn't some nightmare made up by a child.

I want that game with districts.

I want Civ4 with hexes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
fwiw I'm back on my Caveman 2 Cosmos bullshit because the input lag in late-game is gone (somehow they got actual programmers working now, the current SVN update is top notch)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Every 5 years I return to Caveman 2 Cosmos and every time I have to stop because it's really too much for me to handle. It's a like a trap I keep stepping into. Then I always return to the nicer RevDCM.

I just really like the options C2C gives you, but the game itself becomes a slog.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
C2C is the definition of feature creep and poor design. There is no need for like 90% of the buildings to exist. The rest of the game is just civ4 but with 500 units that are nearly identical.

Hero units are cool I guess, but Fall From Heaven: Rise of Erebus does it better.

E:Basically just play FfH2:rise of Erebus, ashes of Erebus for the modded civ4 experience.

Alternatively, just play civ4 it’s still the best civ game.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 16, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The most baffling thing about the culture victory, to me, is that there is zero benefit to tourism beside the eventual game win. Science and conquest have a constant return on investment, and even religion will pay you back somewhat if you insist on it. In 5 you'd get a bunch of little bonuses and the ability to force world leaders to see the light of communism or lose their cities to you, but it does nothing in 6, despite the latter having a dedicated city flipping mechanism.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That's an interesting point about tourism. My two biggest disappointments with 6 so far are the dire World Congress, and the total absence of the grand clash of ideologies that gave such an interesting shape to civ 5. I'm otherwise really enjoying the game, but those two problems really stick out.
On that note- any advice on how to handle the WC? Am I meant to hoard votes to ram through stuff I really need, or am I supposed to guess what the AI wants to vote for (lol) or is it a sort of roll-of-the-dice arrangement.......??

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
only trust your composite bowmen, world congress will never help you

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

On that note- any advice on how to handle the WC? Am I meant to hoard votes to ram through stuff I really need, or am I supposed to guess what the AI wants to vote for (lol) or is it a sort of roll-of-the-dice arrangement.......??

All of the above.

You get diplomatic VPs if you vote for a winner, and the AI does have somewhat predictable preferences, so if a vote isn't important to you or you don't think you have the muscle to make sure you win you may as well just try to pile onto something that's likely to pass.

zbig
Aug 5, 2019
I keep wanting to play this game again now that you can cloud save between Switch and PC for maximum comfy but it's taking forever for the DLC to come out on Switch so it's pointless.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

That's an interesting point about tourism. My two biggest disappointments with 6 so far are the dire World Congress, and the total absence of the grand clash of ideologies that gave such an interesting shape to civ 5. I'm otherwise really enjoying the game, but those two problems really stick out.

Honestly, unless you are going for a diplomatic win, its almost entirely better to completely ignore the world congress and sell your diplomatic favor for gold per turn.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Straight White Shark posted:

So you want the AI to be better so it can actually put up a fight... but you want the AI to sit on its hands and let you win instead of putting up a fight?

see though it doesn't put up a fight, it just gets pissy at you. it just pesters you with horrible one-sided deals and denounces you every few turns until the game at long last ends

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The White Dragon posted:

see though it doesn't put up a fight, it just gets pissy at you. it just pesters you with horrible one-sided deals and denounces you every few turns until the game at long last ends

Yeah, is very annoying, their constant bitching with no consequence

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, is very annoying, their constant bitching with no consequence
A trick I use to avoid this is to launch a multiplayer game with no one but me and the AI in it. Password protected, no turn timer.

In MP the diplomacy aspect / AI Complaints don't intrude on the game, they sit there as notifications you have the option to either click on or ignore. So if every nation had denounced you for example, you can safely ignore diplomacy entirely and just carry on with your game (because you won't be getting any decent trade offers).

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Sega announced a turn based historical 4X game that is definitely taking a shot at Civilization

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/19/20809087/humankind-sega-amplitude-windows-pc-release-date-preview-civilization

Having your civ evolve by picking a new historical civ during each era that adds on to your previous choices is a neat idea and I’m looking forward to some competition.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The most baffling thing about the culture victory, to me, is that there is zero benefit to tourism beside the eventual game win. Science and conquest have a constant return on investment, and even religion will pay you back somewhat if you insist on it. In 5 you'd get a bunch of little bonuses and the ability to force world leaders to see the light of communism or lose their cities to you, but it does nothing in 6, despite the latter having a dedicated city flipping mechanism.

Culture has return on investment though and you probably need a lot of great works to get there.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ixnay posted:

Sega announced a turn based historical 4X game that is definitely taking a shot at Civilization

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/19/20809087/humankind-sega-amplitude-windows-pc-release-date-preview-civilization

Having your civ evolve by picking a new historical civ during each era that adds on to your previous choices is a neat idea and I’m looking forward to some competition.

Yeah, I'll be keeping an eye on this. Amplitude are certainly not problem-less but I'll be interested to see Civilisation with at the very least different problems.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I mean the AI in the Endless games is really bad so that problem will likely remain, but looks interesting.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I just want to say that playing as the Zulu was a pretty funny/easy game. As soon as I got access to Impi and Corps I just facerolled across the world. I have a tenancy to always play extremely passively, so it was a very different experience. I've been trying to be a little more aggressive now when I spot some good openings and doing an ultra-aggressive gimmick game kinda helped.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

ixnay posted:

Finally a challenger has entered the arena! Very interesting stuff, including tactical combat :

"In the main map, each army moves about as a single icon, but when enemy armies engage, the icon unspools upon a secondary battlefield map."

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

John F Bennett posted:

Finally a challenger has entered the arena! Very interesting stuff, including tactical combat :

"In the main map, each army moves about as a single icon, but when enemy armies engage, the icon unspools upon a secondary battlefield map."

That’ll be Endless Legend’s system.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Ooooh I'm intrigued, very intrigued. That image on webpage is really rather pretty

John F Bennett posted:

Finally a challenger has entered the arena!

Yeah about time. It still surprises me how little competition Civilization actually has. The only other games that even come close - to my knowledge - are either fantasy (Endless Legend, Age of Wonders), sci-fi (Pandora First Contact), or they cover a specific period of history (Rome Total War, Knights of Honor).

They also tend to have a focus on the RTS combat rather than the grand strategy... speaking of which:

John F Bennett posted:

Very interesting stuff, including tactical combat :

The quote continues... "This reveals the unitary make-up of each army. Terrain is also modeled in a more detailed, nuanced way than on the main map. This takes us to a turn-based battle that looks to be influenced by X-Com."

Sounds more like Endless Legend combat to me. Awesome if true - I would have loved for the guys behind Endless Legend to take a stab at a Civ-a-like, especially their combat system but with knights and tanks and poo poo. (EDIT: it is being made by the same guys, commence jizzing :gizz:) I'm a bit wary that it'll make combat a bit tedious, but I guess it's no more tedious than in Civ 5.

Here's the other image on the article:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 20, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i could never get into endless legend's combat but there's enough going on here that i'm willing to give it another chance for something this interesting looking

what i'm curious about is how it'll deal with like, multiple players wanting the same civ. is it a first come first serve kind of thing or can there be more than one france or what

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Sounds more like Endless Legend combat to me. Awesome if true - I would have loved for the guys behind Endless Legend to take a stab at a Civ-a-like, especially their combat system but with knights and tanks and poo poo. (EDIT: it is being made by the same guys, commence jizzing :gizz:) I'm a bit wary that it'll make combat a bit tedious, but I guess it's no more tedious than in Civ 5.

dammit

well it could be ok. if they don't bother with the rpg bullshit and just make everything sensible and predictable, rather than making even turn order into an rng shitshow, then EL style combat might actually work.

you'll still be auto resolving after the second tech era anyway though

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh the announcement trailer is out and everything, and it's coming 2020 :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl7YKppgaiY

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

The quote continues... "This reveals the unitary make-up of each army. Terrain is also modeled in a more detailed, nuanced way than on the main map. This takes us to a turn-based battle that looks to be influenced by X-Com."

Sounds more like Endless Legend combat to me. Awesome if true - I would have loved for the guys behind Endless Legend to take a stab at a Civ-a-like, especially their combat system but with knights and tanks and poo poo. I'm a bit wary that it'll make combat a bit tedious, but I guess it's no more tedious than in Civ 5.

Pretty sure most people hated Endless Legend's combat because there really was almost nothing to it but damage and hitpoints, nothing you could tactically mastermind to improve much on autoresolve result, so why even bother.

Age of Wonders 3/Planetfall did a bit more involved xcom-ish system, that was received better, so we'll see how it pans out for Humankind.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

on the bright side no matter how many balance problems it has you can bet that it's UI is gonna blow civ 6's out of the water

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
EL combat is not bad but, like AoW combat, it gets boring fast to me and then I turn to autoresolve for the rest of the game

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah I think I'd be the same. I'm glad auto-resolve exists.

Is there much complexity to auto-resolve in how it works, in Endless Legend?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Yeah I think I'd be the same. I'm glad auto-resolve exists.

Is there much complexity to auto-resolve in how it works, in Endless Legend?

i think it simulates the entire encounter as it would have been played by the AI, so ranged units will almost invariably trample over a melee comp, and while there's some small room for rng differences the strategic AI is far less arbitrary and more fixed/reactive than civ 5 and beyond, so reloaded encounters will typically end with the same resolution, give or take 10%

this is why overwhelmingly huge armies ramming into each other, maybe with reinforcements from a nearby city, will take maybe 10-15s to calculate, while early game armies will finish up in <1s

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Game looks fuckin gorgeous. I am not psyched about Endless Legend combat (though I love AoW combat, so who knows?) and am not entirely sold on the mix-and-match civilization theme, but I'll likely end up getting it for that reason alone.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh wow! I didn't know it simulated the whole thing with AIs, i just thought it used a simplified shortcut to thin the numbers across both armies until only one army was left

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
AoW even has a replay option so you can watch it play out the entire combat if you want to.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea the only recent title that I can think of that autoresolves combat with 'a quickie via numbers' is the Total War series, which by some strange co-incidence also has a reputation for bizzare/broken/cheezey autoresolves. Funny that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I like the elevation. Notice how it gets colder up in the mountains.

Elevation is another gripe I have with Civ VI. They never should have had global warming flood coastal tiles if they didn't have a proper way to show it. Looking at that lens is stupid.

If they'd done aesthetics like this, that mechanic would have made a lot more sense since you can see which tiles will be affected at a glance by actual elevation and proximity to the ocean.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 20, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The elevation really makes rivers look so much more natural too. The screens they've put out so far are absolutely gorgeous.

Who's going to make the thread? I'm happy to do it but it might be better for someone who actually has a lot of experience with the Endless Legend series (I've only played it once)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Just look at this awesome waterfall and bitchin' mammoth.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

That is a very large mammoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

John F Bennett posted:

That is a very large mammoth.

Yeah my first reaction was "I knew they weren't kidding with their name but SIZE OF A CITY?!"