Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kikkoman posted:

I just beat Kiwami 1! Ending credits spoiler: I burst out laughing when Amazing Grace started playing, what the hell

christmas game, christmas song, do you laugh when let it snow starts playing in die hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The White Dragon posted:

christmas song

what

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

it's japan, any well known song that is vaguely tangentially related to christianity qualifies as a christmas song

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I think my favorite bit of character development Kiryu has is by 6 he completely hates Kamurocho and the Tojo Clan and wants nothing to do with these morons but he has a rep and ends up getting dragged back in on some bullshit. I guess 20 years of pulling Daigo's rear end out of the fire takes its toll.

As bad as Y5's overall plot was, Kiryu's anxiety when Morinaga and Aizawa show up was great, and the trap that Shibusawa set for Kiryu was beautifully laid. Kiryu thinking that the clan had gone to poo poo so badly that Majima was killed made his return inevitable.

...then again, this is Kiryu we're talking about, he would've been fooled by a scarecrow with an eyepatch on.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love that Judgment's biggest connection to the main series is an Ono Michio sidequest :allears:

also, chapter 10 spoilers
cleaning up sidequests and friendships while we got Homura tied up in a Kyorei clan hideout feels ver, very rewarding.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I love the Poker AI in Judgment. If people actually played like this at high-stakes tables I'd be retired by now.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

corn on the cop posted:

I love the Poker AI in Judgment. If people actually played like this at high-stakes tables I'd be retired by now.

Yeah, I don't actually know how to play poker, but several sidequests required it, and I managed to win by just always raising. The AI will eventually just fold.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I'm not a poker wizard by any means but they are just hilariously transparent. They will raise when they have nothing and go all-in on one pair.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Chapter 11
Here is... The Mole. Slow and calculating. A show of how cold and terrifying a gun truly is. Anyway next miniboss is Bayonetta.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

gyrobot posted:

5 is pretty depressing when you look at just how low Kiryu had fallen. Park was right in a sense that he tried as much he liked he never could get away from the Yakuza life as everytime he got involved. Ultimately someone gets hurt

To be fair to Kiryu, he probably would have gotten away from it all leading up to Y5, and even would have found a good (hopefully life) companion if it weren't for Daigo being the loving worst at running a giant Yakuza clan.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

The White Dragon posted:

christmas game, christmas song, do you laugh when let it snow starts playing in die hard

No because culturally speaking I recognize one as a Christmas song and the other as just a general church song.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
For people better than me at Mahjong - what is the strategy behind declaring Open Riichi? It feels like an incredible gamble considering the CPU can work around it and I haven't a clue when it's an optimal play.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

To be honest I just did it and crossed my fingers. If you're gonna do it just make sure to take a quick look at the board and get an idea of how many tiles of the tile you need are already discarded. So if youre going to Open Riichi with like a six pin make sure there aren't already a bunch of six pins on the table.

Maybe someone else can do it better but I just treated it the same as getting a tsumo.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Treating open riichi as something you will tsumo is pretty much right. Try to have as many waits as you can and check how many of your waiting tiles are already discarded.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

For people better than me at Mahjong - what is the strategy behind declaring Open Riichi? It feels like an incredible gamble considering the CPU can work around it and I haven't a clue when it's an optimal play.

If you have a multiple side wait (with many tiles left, not just one each) or you are in Furiten with a potentially high scoring hand(like you dropped a 9 manzu but then drew 7-8 and it's at least a mangan), you can take the plunge.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
For the CP just do it everytime at the applicable table. Sure they won't discard it if they have a choice, but if they Riichi they don't have one either.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

- You have a whole lot of waits, or
- Two people have declared riichi and you're feeling confident about your chances, or
- You're really far behind on the last round so gently caress it, or
- You're in furiten and there's no easy way out so you've got to get a tsumo anyway so gently caress it

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Thanks for the tips fellas. Consensus seems to be 1) play the odds 2) gently caress it

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

https://twitter.com/Greguisition/status/1163129610793553920?s=20

NANI??

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

please

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
:thatsrad:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

MechaX posted:

To be fair to Kiryu, he probably would have gotten away from it all leading up to Y5, and even would have found a good (hopefully life) companion if it weren't for Daigo being the loving worst at running a giant Yakuza clan.

He did a good job in 5 and narrowly avoided a bloody coup attempt that happened in 2 because Kiryu got involved and Shindo saw it as a way to kill two birds with one stone by staging a coup that got 8 Lieutenants killed vs the 2 Omi plants that he planned to quietly get rid of. The whole incident involving the Kurowa clan was uncovered right from the start and he would have ended Kurosawa's attempt to merge the clan to give to Aizawa if Katsuya didn't goad Kanai into siding with the chairman with his threats.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
It's hard to say Daigo is the worst when Kiryu gets to be leader for one day after killing virtually all the leadership in the organisation then gives it away to a triple? agent

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Question, I just beat Judgment and I can't really recall any moment where cat food was ever used for. Is there any point to it being sold everywhere? I see there's the cat café but you can't interact with them. I wanna pet some eCats :(

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ignis posted:

Question, I just beat Judgment and I can't really recall any moment where cat food was ever used for. Is there any point to it being sold everywhere? I see there's the cat café but you can't interact with them. I wanna pet some eCats :(

There's a substory where you find a few cats, but I don't think you need food for them. IIRC some of the cat food is traded towards the unlimited VR Pass.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Ignis posted:

I think some of the extract recipes need cat food

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Grundma posted:

I think some of the extract recipes need cat food

Yeah, most of the good ones require at least a few cans.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

How does the Mahjong Girl's friendship work? Her place is open and i got a ninetails tile in my pocket. I just wanna max her out without learning mahjong please.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

YES

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

How does the Mahjong Girl's friendship work? Her place is open and i got a ninetails tile in my pocket. I just wanna max her out without learning mahjong please.

I think you just need to play a game (win or lose) first. Then save the game and play your tile. You need to have the Wareme marker when you win, load if you don't.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Bah, that's boring. I was hoping to serenade cats with food to pet them or something more wholesome. I haven't set foot on Paradise VR ever since that mandated mission :\

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ignis posted:

I haven't set foot on Paradise VR ever since that mandated mission :\

You should consider dipping back into it, it's bar none the easiest and fastest way to make money in the entire game. I played a Long Game and got lucky with the bonus rounds and walked out with an extra million yen in exchange for about five minutes of playtime.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You just have to play a game at her place. Her requests aren't part of the friendship, they just get you bonus gambling items.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

eh I'm not looking into doing the plat for this right now tbh (maybe some other year). My wallet has stayed over 700k yen during and after the endgame so I'm not exactly hurting for cash. I will look into it if I dip under 200k at some point tho

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Stelas posted:

You just have to play a game at her place. Her requests aren't part of the friendship, they just get you bonus gambling items.

You need to win the hand (but not the whole game thankfully) when you have the wareme status too to actually finish her friendship, so the first request at least is required.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Please don't give me Yakuza 3 quite yet, I'm still exploring and dicking around for hours on end in Kiwami 2

(Please give me Yakuza 3 immediately)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I got all the friends :shepface: gonna finish the story on my next day off.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a PS3 to beat Yakuza 3-5 with my wife after Kiwami 1 and now she's very mad at me that the new Yakuza news today is a remaster of 3

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"baka mitai" - taintrunner, yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Taintrunner posted:

I bought a PS3 to beat Yakuza 3-5 with my wife after Kiwami 1 and now she's very mad at me that the new Yakuza news today is a remaster of 3

Thank you for being the sacrifice.