Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The Archie Americana series gives you a decade-by-decade "best of". I loved it when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I'm considering grabbing an Archie Unlimited account, what do people recommend outside of the Waid run and Afterlife with Archie?

I haven't read it, but I imagine Chip Zdarsky's Jughead is worth reading.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Most of the 'modern' Archie stuff is good. I can't speak for some of recent crossover series or that Adam Hughes series but I've read the main Archie book since Waid came on through now and all the Jughead stuff and recommend all that.

I also checked out The Married Life and it's actually pretty good as well. It's two stories happening in alternate universes at once. It was a fun read.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

seconding this, can't believe I forgot to recommend it before

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It is. Waid's Archie too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I honestly thought Jughead got better after Ryan North took over. (Though Chip's run was fun, too.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My Marvel Unlimited binge month continues! So far I have read:

Ann Nocenti and John Romita Jr's Daredevil run -- awesome. Nocenti was great at maintaining the tone and style of Miller's "Born Again." She also included lots of surreal and supernatural storylines, with Blackheart and Mephisto tormenting Matt, plus all the "Inferno" crossover stuff. It felt a lot like late '80s and early '90s Vertigo.
Uncanny X-Men #235-280 (plus the relevant New Mutants and X-Factor crossovers) -- many of which I never read before, since I jumped onto Uncanny with #272 when I was in middle school, back in 1990. Plus, this will prepare me for the final volume of Ed Piskor's X-Men: Grand Design at the end of the month. Say what you will about Chris Claremont, but he was a master of juggling a huge cast and setting up plot threads that would pay off years down the line.
Mystery Men -- semi-recent miniseries by David Liss (don't know him) and Patrick Zircher; a 1930s period piece about original pulp heroes set in the Marvel Universe. Pretty art, decent characters that I'm assuming were never used again.
Multiple Man -- recent Matthew Rosenberg miniseries that was kind of forgettable for me, even though I love the character.

I just started Dennis Hopeless' Spider-Woman from 2014, and after a shaky start right in the middle of a Spider-Verse crossover with some Greg Land art, the book rebooted at #5 and feels A LOT like Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye in the best possible way. I think I'm going to end up loving this run. What did others think of it?

When I get through that, I'd love to squeeze in the Michelinie/McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man run (since I only had one or two issues back in the day, having jumped on for McFarlane's Spider-Man #1), and if people recommend it enough, any post-Fraction Hawkeye series that had similar tone and style.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 15, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Spider-woman owns

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Hopeless knocked it out of the park on Spider Woman

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Spider-Woman was great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My Marvel Unlimited binge month continues! So far I have read:

Ann Nocenti and John Romita Jr's Daredevil run -- awesome. Nocenti was great at maintaining the tone and style of Miller's "Born Again." She also included lots of surreal and supernatural storylines, with Blackheart and Mephisto tormenting Matt, plus all the "Inferno" crossover stuff. It felt a lot like late '80s and early '90s Vertigo.
Uncanny X-Men #235-280 (plus the relevant New Mutants and X-Factor crossovers) -- many of which I never read before, since I jumped onto Uncanny with #272 when I was in middle school, back in 1990. Plus, this will prepare me for the final volume of Ed Piskor's X-Men: Grand Design at the end of the month. Say what you will about Chris Claremont, but he was a master of juggling a huge cast and setting up plot threads that would pay off years down the line.
Mystery Men -- semi-recent miniseries by David Liss (don't know him) and Patrick Zircher; a 1930s period piece about original pulp heroes set in the Marvel Universe. Pretty art, decent characters that I'm assuming were never used again.
Multiple Man -- recent Matthew Rosenberg miniseries that was kind of forgettable for me, even though I love the character.

I just started Dennis Hopeless' Spider-Woman from 2014, and after a shaky start right in the middle of a Spider-Verse crossover with some Greg Land art, the book rebooted at #5 and feels A LOT like Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye in the best possible way. I think I'm going to end up loving this run. What did others think of it?

When I get through that, I'd love to squeeze in the Michelinie/McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man run (since I only had one or two issues back in the day, having jumped on for McFarlane's Spider-Man #1), and if people recommend it enough, any post-Fraction Hawkeye series that had similar tone and style.

Both the Lemire Hawkeye series and the Kelly Thompson one focused on Kate are great. If you like the Kelly Thompson Hawkeye I would definitely recommend her West Coast Avengers too.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Both the Lemire Hawkeye series and the Kelly Thompson one focused on Kate are great. If you like the Kelly Thompson Hawkeye I would definitely recommend her West Coast Avengers too.

Rip to a good comic dead too soon. I really liked what she was doing with the WCA.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just finished Hopeless' Spider-Woman. It was drat DELIGHTFUL. Any fans of Fraction's Hawkeye, Soule's She-Hulk, and Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man (all books I adored) would love it. I didn't even know Ben Urich was going to be a major character in it, so that was a nice bonus for me. Plus, a D-list supervillain had one of the best redemption arcs ever, and I'm a real sucker for that every time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I've read basically everything people recommended on Archie Unlimited and it was all great. (I've not got through the Americana Digests, though).

My name is Yvonmukluk & I am an Archieholic.

Also Big Bad Voodoo Lou, if you liked Mystery Men you might also want to try out The Twelve by JMS, since that also has a bunch of old characters reused (although in that case thy're brought to the present day after getting tuck in cryogenic tubes).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also Big Bad Voodoo Lou, if you liked Mystery Men you might also want to try out The Twelve by JMS, since that also has a bunch of old characters reused (although in that case thy're brought to the present day after getting tuck in cryogenic tubes).

Thanks! I read the first volume a really long time ago, and I think there was an incredibly long delay before the conclusion, right? Maybe I'll squeeze that in. I'm a sucker for modern takes on Golden Age and pulp characters.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Thanks! I read the first volume a really long time ago, and I think there was an incredibly long delay before the conclusion, right? Maybe I'll squeeze that in. I'm a sucker for modern takes on Golden Age and pulp characters.

3 and a half loving years

No I'm not bitter

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Just finished The Twelve, and I loved it! Great recommendation. I even teared up more than once near the end. And it'll never get made, but now I really want a Marvel Legends Phantom Reporter action figure.

I'd recommend that series to anyone who liked James Robinson and Paul Smith's wonderful Golden Age miniseries.

Skwirl posted:

So far, Lemire's Hawkeye is excellent too. Thanks!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 18, 2019

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is Paper Girls any good? Also, I'm wondering about Black Science, but it seems vol. 2 is sold out for some weird reason.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Is Paper Girls any good?

I love Paper Girls. It starts out very Stranger Things/Spielberg-esque in tone, but quickly gets weirder. I have to catch up on the last one or two TPBs, but I always wholeheartedly recommend it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

obi_ant posted:

Is Paper Girls any good? Also, I'm wondering about Black Science, but it seems vol. 2 is sold out for some weird reason.

I like it. It's has time travel, alternate realities, and an 80's retro aesthetic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's probably my favorite Vaughan book.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

obi_ant posted:

Black Science is fantastic, but I love anything Remender does. Vol 2 is probably out because the series is about to end and they'll probably be putting out a new printing soon.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Has Lemire written any stinkers? I've enjoyed everything I've read of his, and have yet to hear anyone say anything bad about any of his books.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think many people were fans of his Hawkeye and X-Men/Inhumans stuff. Old Man Logan saved his Marvel tenure from being a complete wash.
Futures End sucked, but his part of the story (I'm guessing it was the Frankenstein stuff) was the best of it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 20, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think many people were fans of his Hawkeye and X-Men/Inhumans stuff. Old Man Logan saved his Marvel tenure from being a complete wash.

I just finished Lemire's Hawkeye. It was kind of heavy, following the Fraction/Aja run (which is pure, perfect joy) and preceding the light and fun Kelly Thompson run.

I read the first volume of Black Hammer last year, and I almost hate to admit that it didn't do much for me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I didn't mind All-New Hawkeye at all, but I know people who despise it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As a general rule, every great comic writer has some not so great stuff, whether due to editorial interference, being put on a book they really didn't want to do, or overworking themselves.

Or going nuts in their old age.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've never really been blown away by anything of his that I've read...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've consistently found his work to read *way* better in long chunks, so I never bother with anything until it's finished.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

I've never really been blown away by anything of his that I've read...

I dunno if he's really the blow you away type of writer.
Best superhero Lemire: Green Arrow, Best creator owned: Essex County.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I read Nextwave and liked elsa bloodstone and wanted to see other stuff she was in and liked about none of them except the 2018 Jessica Jones.

Is the Dr. Strange Damnation book good?

e: Monsters Unleashed I liked a bit but its definitely a simpler comic for a younger audience.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I read Nextwave and liked elsa bloodstone and wanted to see other stuff she was in and liked about none of them except the 2018 Jessica Jones.

Is the Dr. Strange Damnation book good?

e: Monsters Unleashed I liked a bit but its definitely a simpler comic for a younger audience.

I thought Damnation was okay, but I completely forgot Elsa Bloodstone was in it, so if that's why you're interested in it you'll probably be disappointed.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Re: Lemirechat

Black Hammer hooked me like no other but it's kind of fizzled after the first arc. I think it'll probably read better altogether as well so I'm not in a real hurry to stay caught up with it.

I always found Sweet Tooth pretty charming as well but I read it in a couple of sittings, I'm not sure if I would have stuck with it as a monthly.

The Underwater Welder always felt like the quintessential Lemire to me though since if you aren't vibing with the art and you need a more solid plot then Lemire's probably not your guy anyway.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

AD was really good but it's less a comic and more a book with some illustrations

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just picked up both HC copies of Paper Girls. I’m eyeing Sweet Tooth as well, since it’s complete and the art reminds me of Black Hammer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's his own art, so for more look at almost all of his indie stuff.

He's doing something weird for DC in a couple of weeks with Kieth Giffen (plus Lemire drawing backups.) Excited about that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 21, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Best Lemire: Essex County (which kind of puts everything else to shame), The Nobody, Underwater Wielder

Solid Lemire: Sweet Tooth, Green Arrow, Black Hammer (started in best category but kind of lost its way), Gideon Falls, Roughneck (which is way below Essex County)

Misfire Lemire: Justice League unlimited, Futures End.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I thought Damnation was okay, but I completely forgot Elsa Bloodstone was in it, so if that's why you're interested in it you'll probably be disappointed.

Damnation was a bit neat but yes, Elsas barely in it. I feel like most of the cast is hardly in it to be fair, it is mostly a strange vehicle and the midnight sons just punch things in a couple scenes. Give it about 2/4.

A comic i hadnt seen or heard of before but ended up surprised by with elsa in was Legion of Monsters 2011. Its a fun short monster mash mystery that mostly succeeded with what it set out for i think. The arts unique but im not sure it ould be everybody's bag, although i really did love all the toothy grinning background monsters.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I haven’t really kept up with DC comics in a long while but I found final crisis digging around in my garage and got sucked back in, only to find out that continuity was reset twice in the past ten years, smh

What’s the best DC stuff of the last decade? I tend to like Batman-as-detective, stories that focus on B and C listers like Question/Starman, more off beat stuff like Swamp Thing, and deconstruction takes like Animal Man, though I don’t expect Watchmen II to have been handled deftly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I haven’t really kept up with DC comics in a long while but I found final crisis digging around in my garage and got sucked back in, only to find out that continuity was reset twice in the past ten years, smh

What’s the best DC stuff of the last decade? I tend to like Batman-as-detective, stories that focus on B and C listers like Question/Starman, more off beat stuff like Swamp Thing, and deconstruction takes like Animal Man, though I don’t expect Watchmen II to have been handled deftly.

Speaking of Jeff Lemire, he'll be writing a Question mini sometime (it was just announced in July, so probably a few months out.