Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

WarpedNaba posted:

Dude's used to the city, presumably.

Mostly it's because the game's supposed to be chill - go to a place, see the scenery, think of something to do once you've finished at place, repeat until sundown.

I get that but it’s still really annoying though. Having to walk all the way to the mines to work and then having to walk all the way home at night before it’s too late and hoping you don’t pass out along the way. … it’s like someone said “what if video game was real life.”

E: last question for now: the op says I can play forever but people in the game have birthdays so how is that handled?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get that but it’s still really annoying though. Having to walk all the way to the mines to work and then having to walk all the way home at night before it’s too late and hoping you don’t pass out along the way. … it’s like someone said “what if video game was real life.”

There is a QOL upgrade for that, fairly easy to get. Once you unlock the community centre you'll have one of two ways to get it, takes a lot of walking to town/the mines out of the game.

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: last question for now: the op says I can play forever but people in the game have birthdays so how is that handled?

It doesn't. You get married, have kids/adopt, Vincent and Jas will remain in Calvin and Hobbes time, none of the other bachelor/ettes will get together with their counterparts. Next content patch might have something for that, but probably not.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So those kids will have a birth certificate saying they’re like 400 years old at some point?

E: I’m playing on iOS, so I hope content patches are rolled out for that too.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

Pepper poppers only speed me to the toilet. Had a few and my bum was a Japanese flag for about a week.

well at least the coffee will help get you there quick smart

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boris Galerkin posted:

here you go, this speeds up base movement speed and the charge speed of the watering can and hoe.

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2736

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Eventually you’ll also unlock mine carts and a horse.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Boris Galerkin posted:

1. Is there any repercussion for chopping down trees that aren’t in my farm space? I picked the forest farm, and if I go south one map there’s the farm with the animals and that map has a ton of trees just laying around. The game lets me chop them down but doesn’t seem to let me re-plant them.

They're an extra source of wood, really, that's all. They'll regrow on their own eventually; if they're chopped down that's also presumably an extra square for general foraging stuff to spawn. There are certainly no downsides (beyond having to expend energy I guess)

quote:

2. This last page suggests I can only get some recipes by dating people. So… can I date multiple people at the same time and does the game or the characters care if my guy is bi? Like does that change anything dialogue or choice related?

There are no recipes locked behind dating, only friendship. 7 hearts is generally the level at which you get the last recipe from people, and dating unlocks going past 8 hearts, so don't feel obliged. That said, afaik, being bi has no impact on gameplay... I've certainly never seen anything, but maybe I missed it :shrug: the only gameplay change in this sorta area is if you try and date all the bachelors or all the bachelorettes -- if you get all of them from either sex to 10 hearts then they meet you in the bar to break up with you en masse or something? I've never done it so I forget specifics

quote:

3. I’m walking into town and talking to people every day but I never seem to get new dialogue. Pam is still complaining about not being able to afford to buy me a beer and that lady with the kids is still telling me she’s doing her best educating them.

Dialogue changes roughly every 2 heart levels iirc? If you're just talking to them, not giving them gifts, to bridge that gap then yeah, things are gonna stay pretty static

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Even with the walking speed increases in the game I was annoyed with it so honestly I installed a speed mod. It's the only mod I ever used and it increased my enjoyment by a lot so maybe try that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

My issue is that I ran out of things to do by the end of the second year. Nothing to pop but getting that hidden achievement.

Still, once the next content patch hits I can just jump back into it. I'll be playing Two Point Hospital and The Long Dark until then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the hidden achievement is bullshit and you'll never get it legitimately you have to beat Journey of the Prairie King without dying

it's basically impossible, don't bother

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I used a mod that adds invincibility to that game, just so I could play it all the way through and see it all.

Also because I wanted to get every achievement except the Joja one

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I just started a Sell Out to Joja run

I'd like to have the Greenhouse before winter, but it's looking a little slim since I died in the mines and lost my Obsidian Edge :argh:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Boris Galerkin posted:

So those kids will have a birth certificate saying they’re like 400 years old at some point?

E: I’m playing on iOS, so I hope content patches are rolled out for that too.

You won't play more than a few years.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also no one's age is ever stated or tracked. So you're not going to see anything saying "Maru is 19, but it said she was 19 two years ago!" or saying "well, it says here Jas is 37 (now in year 30)".

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m on iOS so no mods.

And god drat this inventory system is the worse.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
So what are the cool mods that make this game pretty much unrecognizable? No QoL stuff, but "Why did they make this" stuff. Nothing too pervy, though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the hidden achievement is bullshit and you'll never get it legitimately you have to beat Journey of the Prairie King without dying

it's basically impossible, don't bother

Nonono, the other one. The money one.

I already modded invincibility for the arcade game achievement a while back.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

1. Is there any repercussion for chopping down trees that aren’t in my farm space? I picked the forest farm, and if I go south one map there’s the farm with the animals and that map has a ton of trees just laying around. The game lets me chop them down but doesn’t seem to let me re-plant them.

This is a key way to get enough wood to buy buildings for your house, make sure you cut down the tree and remove the stump, this will make the tree respawn in a few days.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

UltraRed posted:

So what are the cool mods that make this game pretty much unrecognizable? No QoL stuff, but "Why did they make this" stuff. Nothing too pervy, though.

This is a good compilation that gets inevitably more weird: https://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-valley-mods/1/

Has anyone tried Stardew Valley Expanded?

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/3753

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

WarpedNaba posted:

How much money do you have? How much do you need? If what you have is more than you need just go to Pierre's buy as many saplings as you can, sell them back, repeat until you get the achievement.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

It's decent but not really that game changing. The new maps and content are nice if you've already beaten the game and it works fine with all the normal mods you'd expect.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

WarpedNaba posted:

That's easy if you have fertilizer and Ancient Fruit

Vast acres of Ancient Fruit, planted on the first day of Spring, or whenever if you have the Greenhouse.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I think the complaint is that by the time you've made a full greenhouse of Ancient Fruit and done everything else there is to do in the game, you have like $3m, and most people just stop playing the game then instead of waiting for $10m to get the achievement. It's not that it's actually difficult.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So is this next big patch gonna be a big overhaul? I was waiting for it to start playing again, but I kind of just want to play.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tars Tarkas posted:

This is a good compilation that gets inevitably more weird: https://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-valley-mods/1/

Has anyone tried Stardew Valley Expanded?

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/3753

It's good, they're still adding to it and adding new npcs and stuff. Some of the dialogue is pretty awkward because the person who wrote it is overly verbose or was way too mechanical in making them, but some of the new cutscenes are cute. It seems like they might be adding new towns connected to the original too eventually, and there's an extra plot of land for expanded farming they added. There's some real neat stuff in it honestly, yeah. Might want to get a time mod to slightly slow down the time ticks by like 5 seconds each so you can actually accomplish a bit more each day because you'll get overwhelmed super quickly, there is way too much to do otherwise. But yeah, it's a pretty great mod.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ToastyPotato posted:

So is this next big patch gonna be a big overhaul? I was waiting for it to start playing again, but I kind of just want to play.

I think it's supposed to be fairly sizable. I'm in the same boat, trying to hold strong by desperately wanting to start again.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Poque posted:

I think it's supposed to be fairly sizable. I'm in the same boat, trying to hold strong by desperately wanting to start again.

:same:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

I think the complaint is that by the time you've made a full greenhouse of Ancient Fruit and done everything else there is to do in the game, you have like $3m, and most people just stop playing the game then instead of waiting for $10m to get the achievement. It's not that it's actually difficult.

Pretty much this. At this point it's pure grinding. Graveyard keeper was much the same.

So when a content patch comes up, I can pop back into the game and check it out during the morning tend.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Discendo Vox posted:

We hate Clint because we ARE Clint.
Sometimes we hate Clint because we're Emily.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Poque posted:

Start again anyways, clawing your way up to Supreme Oligarch of Pelican town from your humble dirt farming origins is the fun part

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ultima66 posted:

at about 1.5m earned people are close to 1m liquid and the game's functionally over at that point. in most situations folks will hit that without any of the 'end game' stuff like ancient fruit at all, and if you get off to a really fast start in spring y1 and focus on hops in summer you'll probably get most of the way there by fall y1. we all know blueberries are powerful but my dudes have you tried slingshotting to farming 10 and sandbagging pale ale? :discourse:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Coolguye posted:

at about 1.5m earned people are close to 1m liquid and the game's functionally over at that point. in most situations folks will hit that without any of the 'end game' stuff like ancient fruit at all, and if you get off to a really fast start in spring y1 and focus on hops in summer you'll probably get most of the way there by fall y1. we all know blueberries are powerful but my dudes have you tried slingshotting to farming 10 and sandbagging pale ale? :discourse:

Too much working harvesting hops that frequently. Hops are one of the yucky plants you can't walk through.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Pain in the rear end to set up sprinklers for trellis crops too, unless you're willing to waste a lot of space.

Jumino huts solve the problem of course but by the time you have those you've already reached the end state of having more money than Joba and nothing meaningful to spend it on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the trellis planning portion hasn't been too bad in the game i'm running with a buddy currently, we are using this setup: https://stardew.info/planner/21-tidy-platypuses-played-jovially/

on summer 1 y1 only the first field just south of the farmhouse was set up, and we put trellises in as noted. it amounts to 96 hops a day once things are all up and running, with lots of stuff still around for blueberries and other crops. spring was a hard drive to make sure everything was cleared out and we had sufficient capital to get everything we needed (we ended with about 15k and took two entire days to clear the farm at the end of the season) but now the only question is how fast we can get oak resin and sufficient farming XP (we already have 15 oak resin on summer 4, and if i'm right i'll hit 10 farming around summer 20).

we eschewed the fence to start with because obviously it'll make the trellises more of a pain. also since it's summer 1 y1 we're using a couple of quality sprinklers in place of the 4 iridium ones i would otherwise use in the field. those compromises are noted in the active field in the design but the ideal is shown in the other two fields. anyway, realistically we're going to end up with ~1700 hops, which after processing all of it to pale ale will be 725k all by itself, to say nothing of the blueberries and other crops we are raising. we'll enter fall with the better part of a million earned and probably at least that second field cleared out, but we'll see; currently there's a fistful of oak trees in that second field that we're reluctant to touch until the wild trees on the far right are grown and who the gently caress knows how long that'll take, that poo poo can be so random

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 20, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LLSix posted:

Too much working harvesting hops that frequently. Hops are one of the yucky plants you can't walk through.

lmao if you don't use a Scythe Everything mod

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Just wanna say getting Abigail’s scenes out of order was really weird. First she asked me to come over at night and she runs out embarrassed. I take one step out the door and now I’m in a graveyard and her dad’s here and she asks me to run off with her. Next morning she’s apologizing for the night before.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ephemeron posted:

Sometimes we hate Clint because we're Emily.

Good point, I stand corrected!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Hot Take: Penny* is Clint without the creepiness

E: *I originally wrote "Jodi" instead of "Penny," this was incorrect

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is the player Emily in this scenario?

Yes

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 21, 2019

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is the player Emily in this scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

Hot Take: Penny* is Clint without the creepiness

This doesn't track because rather than hiding in the bushes, Penny actually has the stones to put herself out there and risk getting shot down.