Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bardeh posted:

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1163480488696328194

I just can't deal with the utter shitfuckery of the Lib Dems

IF THE LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION CAN'T GET THE SUPPORT, NO OTHER FUCKER IS GOING TO BE ABLE TO YOU DISINGENUOUS MORON, gently caress

like, even if they were entirely certain corbyn couldn't get a parliamentary mandate, the best policy would still be "we'd support any alternative to brexit", and talking up alternatives only after corbyn's failed. cripes

e:

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Well, if you think about it, having a Corbyn-led caretaker government for a few months while we get an extension and GE going is far worse than crashing out without a deal, with terrible planning, and all under a completely berserk Tory government.

:libdemsay:

On the plus side, with Johnson planning straight-up evil things like changing the State Pension age to 75 and the Lib Dems using basically all of their media coverage to tell people that they won't back the most realistic chance of stopping a No Deal Brexit, it's good news for Labour's vote share at the next GE.

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

I feel like this is probably a really stupid question, but so much of the ridiculousness around Brexit almost has me questioning my sanity at this point...

Is there actually any reasonable expectation at all that the backstop can be removed? Because the govt seem to be acting like it is, but short of having a border in the middle of the Irish sea or remaining in the customs union, there isn't really any other solution, is there?

As far as I can see the whole thing about removing the backstop from any deal just seems like making an absurd request knowing that it can only result in no deal, but it just seems insane that they'd be that blatant about it.

Is this just hellworld being hellworld?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, the only options are revoke, backstop, customs union, sea border or hellworld.

The tories, of course, are going for hellworld.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Ojo posted:

I feel like this is probably a really stupid question, but so much of the ridiculousness around Brexit almost has me questioning my sanity at this point...

Is there actually any reasonable expectation at all that the backstop can be removed? Because the govt seem to be acting like it is, but short of having a border in the middle of the Irish sea or remaining in the customs union, there isn't really any other solution, is there?

As far as I can see the whole thing about removing the backstop from any deal just seems like making an absurd request knowing that it can only result in no deal, but it just seems insane that they'd be that blatant about it.

Is this just hellworld being hellworld?

No.

It's been spun as a strong armed negotiating position by the right wing, but it's essentially a "if you can't find another solution before you leave, we have to fall back to this legally - or a hard border".

We're also the ones who agreed and signed for it, Boris and could are just pretending like we didn't do that bit. I am sure if we go back to the people we've been calling nazis for two years, headed by the guy who lied about them for twenty years, and tell them to drop the bit we already agreed to it will DEFINITELY happen.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nah, it's either a deal with the backstop or no deal at all; Not only is the EU invested in protecting a member state over that of us wankers who are bailing out in the most irritating way possible, but Dublin has spent the time since the referendum working very hard to make their case to the rest of the EU, deployed cogent legal and economic arguments, and sent their best negotiators to get Brussels and the other member states on board with their agenda.

Anything that threatens free movement on Ireland threatens the GFA, and is never going to be agreed to by the EU, so the only way to not have a deal including that is to not have a deal at all.

Well technically there's also the option of have a proper trade deal in place that obviates the backstop, but just for starters you'd have wanted a period of at least five years of intensive and detailed negotiation and work before even triggering A50 and :lol:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ms Adequate posted:

Dublin has spent the time since the referendum working very hard to make their case to the rest of the EU, deployed cogent legal and economic arguments, and sent their best negotiators to get Brussels and the other member states on board with their agenda.

Huh.

Why didn't we think of that.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Huh.

EU bad

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I saw this and thought of UKMT:

Music printed on the butt of one of the tortured souls in the 15th Century Hieronymus Bosch painting "The Garden of Earthly Delights" , Played on (What else?) Lute, Harp, and Hurdy-Gurdy by James Spalink. The melody is based on the transcription by Amelia Hamrick. The intro and outro employ the "Devil's Interval", and the last couple of measures are conjecture on my part. You could say that I just "pulled them out of my"-well, you know.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrICy3Bc2U

This is the relevant image:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 20, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Eine Kleine Arschmusik.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Guavanaut posted:

Eine Kleine Arschmusik.

The Boris Johnson biography.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

Nah, it's either a deal with the backstop or no deal at all; Not only is the EU invested in protecting a member state over that of us wankers who are bailing out in the most irritating way possible, but Dublin has spent the time since the referendum working very hard to make their case to the rest of the EU, deployed cogent legal and economic arguments, and sent their best negotiators to get Brussels and the other member states on board with their agenda.

Anything that threatens free movement on Ireland threatens the GFA, and is never going to be agreed to by the EU, so the only way to not have a deal including that is to not have a deal at all.

Well technically there's also the option of have a proper trade deal in place that obviates the backstop, but just for starters you'd have wanted a period of at least five years of intensive and detailed negotiation and work before even triggering A50 and :lol:

You've fallen for the Tory/DUP narrative (along with most of the country, because it suits their agenda from different directions). The actual sensible solution, from the very start, has been a border down the Irish Sea. This would actually be economically good for NI (beyond the obvious benefits of not loving up the border) but of course the DUP would rather burn the entire province to the ground rather than admit it wasn't 110% British.

It's yet another part of May's fractal fuckup - if she hadn't called that election in 2019 the Tories wouldn't be reliant on the DUP and nobody outside of a rounders game would have ever heard the word "backstop".

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Well yes that is theoretically an option, and as a Unionist I think it's a good one, but given that the balance of power does rest with Arlene it's an extremely moot point atm. Though that said I don't know what would result if a sea border was forced on them without them having any meaningful aay either, but I assume it begins with Big Ian rising from his grave and declaring NIVVUR!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Huh.

Because the UK is still the most important country in the world and those bloody frogs and jerries will recognize that and give us what we want because they need us more than we need them!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Twowwin them twowws

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Twowwin them twowws

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM SOME MILK ONTO THE COUNTER, ITS SEMI-SKIMMED AND

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
THEn i mix

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Hello my name is Mike Gapes and I'm a Member of Parliament.

My real job? Online jokes. Heh.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Quis trolliet ipsos trollodes?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at how badly the lib dems have hosed this

https://twitter.com/ejburns1/status/1163688184967884800?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao at how my twitter timeline just lined up

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

THEn i mix

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM SOME MILK ONTO THE COUNTER ITS SEMI SKIMMED AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START HAVING THE MILK ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, TIM FARRON. I DRINK EVERY GLASS AND I DRINK EVERY GLASS HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME FULL FAT OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP POURING. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE NORTH AND SOUTH’S MOST DANGEROUS FACTORY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN PARLIAMENT AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN PARLIAMENT CAN STILL BE HARD LEFT JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE FLAVOURS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY CONSTITUENCY MEETINGS LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THen i mix

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Would it really be so awful if one of these Glastonbury rap people sang a song that was POSITIVE about Brexit? I know it's not COOL to want a country free from under the yoke of oppression and I know it's not COOL to be a free thinker but think of the good people like Stormy or the Killers could do if they rapped about the opportunity of a free trade deal instead of knife crime or drugs. This is why the youth of today are basically sheep and don't care about patriotism. Now it's all about loving the EU and doing their bit for the greater glory of a lovely nation like ours. That's why I see bands like The Killers in this. They sing about their love of their country but when things go wrong the lyrics could just be about the way in which they got paid for being part of the system. As a Brit I'm sorry if we don't get the best out of our people but its better that we keep making sure they are well fed and educated than keep them out of it all on their own. The UK is so much better for that. So is a country like ours.

P.S. if u want to know why Brits get angry at Germans why they won't allow you to take your car to Germany to do you thing like this: https://www.youtube.com/

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Sanitary Naptime posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM SOME MILK ONTO THE COUNTER ITS SEMI SKIMMED AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START HAVING THE MILK ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, TIM FARRON. I DRINK EVERY GLASS AND I DRINK EVERY GLASS HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME FULL FAT OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP POURING. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE NORTH AND SOUTH’S MOST DANGEROUS FACTORY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN PARLIAMENT AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN PARLIAMENT CAN STILL BE HARD LEFT JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE FLAVOURS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY CONSTITUENCY MEETINGS LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THen i mix

:eyepop:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

UnCO3 posted:

I know it's not COOL to be a free thinker but think of the good people like Stormy or the Killers could do if they rapped about the opportunity of a free trade deal

*laughs in Ludwig Von Mises*

Pelican Street
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/markhayo/status/1163697260212961282

You just know this gently caress prides himself on being a sensible, reasonable, rational, common-sense centrist too.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Tarnop posted:

40% of voters chose a Corbyn-led Labour party at the last GE, making him the leader of the opposition. They want to act directly in opposition to the government,

Yeah, by opposing brexit. Which he hasn't done.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's also the smug idiocy of thinking that killing Boris would (a) also make brexit go away and (b) do anything except turn him into a martyr.

I mean I want Boris to die horribly but it's unrelated to Brexit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why won't the IRA stop Britain killing itself? :qq:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Superterranean posted:

Lmao what the gently caress is this

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Superterranean posted:

Alright. Go.

Do tell us.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Pelican Street posted:

https://twitter.com/markhayo/status/1163697260212961282

You just know this gently caress prides himself on being a sensible, reasonable, rational, common-sense centrist too.

What's his username?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is incredibly lame

https://twitter.com/Lafargue/status/1163713749535952897?s=20

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Superterranean posted:

Don't think we don't know who you are, Mike Gapes, we see through your feeble disguise.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Somehow by sheer guesswork I got 23/24, https://twitter.com/NigelHall11/status/1163076362615361536

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Who agitated for triggering a50 immediately after the vote? Who absolutely loving failed to campaign for remain because of a triangulation strategy that even now is only paying off with the most ukmt coloured glasses possible? What the gently caress does 'damaging tory brexit' mean besides 'we can do brexit better'?

I get you guys want fully automated luxury communism, who doesn't. Just that Labour has a leader who seems to think that the EU is incompatible with that goal.

E: never mind, this is place for this argument. I shouldn't have walked into your chat thread, sorry to disturb.

Superterranean fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 20, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Graun had a similar article attacking Dianne Abbott for calling him Boris, too. Saying that by always caveating mentions of Tommy Robinson with " - real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon - " it 'humiliates' him, and the same should be done about Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson. I mean I do like to explicitly call him Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson because it's a fundamentally unserious name for a fundamentally unserious person.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

these tests have always required obscure knowledge nobody born here knows

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Superterranean posted:

Bold of you to try this particular troll after the last few days of Corbyn explicitly opposing Brexit and wanting to personally soften it while giving the country a chance to change its mind entirely.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Superterranean posted:

Who agitated for triggering a50 immediately after the vote? Who absolutely loving failed to campaign for remain because of a triangulation strategy that even now is only paying off with the most ukmt coloured glasses possible? What the gently caress does 'damaging tory brexit' mean besides 'we can do brexit better'?

I get you guys want fully automated luxury communism, who doesn't. Just that Labour has a leader who seems to think that the EU is incompatible with that goal.

Hello, emergency services? This guy has brain spiders piling out of his ears I think he may be in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Superterranean posted:

It is. hth.