Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Baxta posted:

Crytek put up the cash. Guess they must think they have a shot. Should be interesting at least.

I do not think they have a good shot at all. But I do think they are going for "transparency" blood, and for as much discovery as it can be made public.

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

citcon predictions go!

I uhhh just want to REMIND everybody that they ARE estimations heh heh heh heh.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
CITIZENCON'ed Raffle.

Prize : [Redacted] x 1

(It'll be good, promise)

Guess the amount of funds on the Tracker at the end of the Citizencon Sale.

GO!

(p/s: Please quote this post, I like them internet points.)

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

btw, I think CIG made a fantastic move by announcing the 890 jump ship thing to Evocati. It has managed to completely divert the attention from the recent roadmap woes and request for CR to explain.

Shitizens are so easily fooled.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This thread moves a lot faster than Star Citizen, but I saw this

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/crwxq1/backer_request_an_update_from_chris_regarding_the/exd2m56/

on a thread someone posted. Why do people think this? Elite Dangerous sold 2.75 million copies. No Man's Sky has <2 million sales. But star Citizen is going to have 10 million players? Halo 3 had 10 Million sales, and Star Citizen is no Halo.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

MedicineHut posted:

btw, I think CIG made a fantastic move by announcing the 890 jump ship thing to Evocati. It has managed to completely divert the attention from the recent roadmap woes and request for CR to explain.

Shitizens are so easily fooled.

its basically stage 3. show em shiny thing to make it appear that progress has been made outside the roadmap

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

no_recall posted:

We're moving on to discovery.

2 Weeks.

hell yes

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Aramoro posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/crwxq1/backer_request_an_update_from_chris_regarding_the/exd2m56/

on a thread someone posted. Why do people think this? Elite Dangerous sold 2.75 million copies. No Man's Sky has <2 million sales. But star Citizen is going to have 10 million players? Halo 3 had 10 Million sales, and Star Citizen is no Halo.

Because the best marketing since she was a little girl said Star Citizen will sell about 5 million post release.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aramoro posted:

> There are 2 million backers or so, right?

He's wrong already, there are 2M accounts, out of which 1M bought anything, out of which many are probably dupe accounts for referrals.

> Halo 3 had 10 Million sales, and Star Citizen is no Halo.

But SQ42 will be HALO-GTA-Skyrim-combined-and-multiplied-and-exponentionalized-like fidelity and quality and Crobber's writing will save it and make all the population talk about it and everyone will just buy top-grade PCs, because all their friends (with good PCs) will tell them how godly it is, the first (singleplayer part of) the first AAAA game ever and that basically makes the target population 7 why the heck are people multiplying so quickly someone call a dehumanizator 7.5 billions of people, checkmate, goons!

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Bootcha posted:

I want you to find one walking around, look him (And I assume it's a "him", because this is the games industry and we have long way to go to making our employee base more diverse) in the face, ask him "Do you work for CIG?"

Then ask him,

"What sound does Gary Oldman make?"

If he doesn't know the answer, inform him. With feeling.

lmao sure

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

what does this mean?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

what does this mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI&t=77s

(An actual video of Citizen reacting to the latest hype vid, colourized.)

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Star Citizen 2025: I'm still working on it

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

All of this is why I believe with 100% confidence that if we see anything on the citcon screen this year, it will not be by the company. And I really don't think they have many contractors willing to do work for them at this point.

So I'm just unsure what it is they're gonna bring if anything.

I don't know. CR must be frustrated by the slow progress of actually making a game compared to making cinematic demos. plus you get the hyped up fan response at the con. I really wouldn't be surprised if he has excused himself to work on another faked demo. yeah the bridges might be burnt with good studios but there are so many off shore contractors he will find somebody.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stinch posted:

I don't know. CR must be frustrated by the slow progress of actually making a game compared to making cinematic demos. plus you get the hyped up fan response at the con. I really wouldn't be surprised if he has excused himself to work on another faked demo. yeah the bridges might be burnt with good studios but there are so many off shore contractors he will find somebody.

Star Citizen 2019+: Chris Roberts must be frustrated

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Krycek posted:

con prediction: Chris will wear black
Sorry, it had to be said

Counter prediction : gold llame ensemble,full elvis televangelist look.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

reverend crabhands posted:

I uhhh just want to REMIND everybody that they ARE estimations heh heh heh heh.

“Oops heh uhhm sandi might APPEAR to be strangling me whilst singing deutschland deutschland uber alles but don’t forget this is LIVE and these things do happen”

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:lol: Mount & Blade 2 Bannerlord will arrive before Squadron 42 and Star Citizen :laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCk6Jk7DvrA

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Commenting about Crytek's case:
:reddit: "Sunk cost fallacy. Ego and arrogance got them involved now they're death marching forward regardless of cost."

:ironicat:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Counter prediction : gold llame ensemble,full elvis televangelist look.

I was honestly surprised how little I had to edit, this basically edited itself.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Also I like that in the roadmap released three days ago this ship was listed as being like 75% complete.

Good to know they managed that last 25% and definitely aren't just gonna kick that poo poo out the door, unfinished!

The other part of that patch was supposed to be ship rentals. It is nowhere to be seen.

It's aaaaaalmost like this is a release of a sketchy half-finished asset because they saw how bad the subreddit rage was getting and panicked. But that couldn't be the case, right?

Of coarse Chris doesn't release anything half assed, the last 25% is only QA/QC, testing and polish.

So put it out to for testing tick off 💯% done! then just throw all the test results into the issue council

ticket 1. It's completely broken dosent do anything that was promised when sold, none of its game play features are even on the road map wtf?

You can see that's completely different from making GBS threads half finished assets.

I'm also amazed that would calm the masses.. look progress is 5% everywhere Panic!! here have 1 x 50% done task that's miles overdue. Calm ...

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now the Citizens are arguing that a single half refill of $890 ship should cost the equivalent of $100 (full refill 250k UEC). Good times, good times. Let the cash flow.

"Your ship is useless, lol what did you expect."

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Now the Citizens are arguing that a single half refill of $890 ship should cost the equivalent of $100 (full refill 250k UEC). Good times, good times. Let the cash flow.

I know right !!!! Spend 1k on a jpeg and be charged 100 dollars to use it....

Also it dosent work hahahahaha

This was there solution to Reddit rage ???

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Anyone want to register https://www.itoldyouso.com to harvest some tears from backers? I bet they can hatefuck eachother hard enough that they make all the salty

Ok, how the gently caress does anyone write like that more than once? Anyways, just toss up a star citizen logo and a laugh track for the domain and you're set.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It's already partially implemented.

A. When you are stuck somewhere without transport, which happens in this game FREQUENTLY, you can pay someone for a ride to a new destination. People with luxury vehicles can use them to do this for the fun of it.

B. When ever there is a new location in the game, a given server will have dozens of people who want to see it, many of whom own small slow individual ships which will take a long time to get there. Players with existing large luxury ships will frequently offer to transport groups over to the new location to check it out. In the transport on the way over there is a party-like atmosphere. It's great.

C. People who own a luxury ships often invite other players in, just to give them a tour of the vehicle and show it off. This doesn't sound like a good purpose for such an expense, but I posit that many a yacht irl is purchased simply for this function.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Idiot, Billionaires buy $250M yachts then immediately proceed to lease them out to Millionaires. There is a reason you are always seeing movie stars and their friends/families on these mega yachts, it's the Airbnb for richies who aren't quite rich enough but want to look it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monkeytek posted:

Idiot, Billionaires buy $250M yachts then immediately proceed to lease them out to Millionaires. There is a reason you are always seeing movie stars and their friends/families on these mega yachts, it's the Airbnb for richies who aren't quite rich enough but want to look it.

Yep.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sandi will praise the community and fake cry again

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I was honestly surprised how little I had to edit, this basically edited itself.

a trunk a trunk o' burnin' cash

teddy crobear

my stranglin' hands around your neck

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 20, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

:awesomelon:

This is an awesome strategy by Crobo. He's already got a group of self-selected marks (i.e. the ones who paid $900 for a JPEG in a game that might never be released), now he can get them to pay a fixed amount for every refueling. IMO, it will have to be less than $100 per tank; there might be psychological issues with using $100. But Crobo could easily make it say $30-$40 and keep milking the whales.

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 20, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

DigitalPenny posted:

I know right !!!! Spend 1k on a jpeg and be charged 100 dollars to use it....

Also it dosent work hahahahaha

This was there solution to Reddit rage ???

In in-game terms this would take about 3 hours of current quests to earn, assuming they didn't fail

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

890J looking real good
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7gtaao

Clearly very ready for a rollout

Those are speed holes

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

which is more delicious?
- CIG has to release what they have and declares victory with no need for improvement patches. Chris and project get ridiculed across the entire net for unfinished boring tech demo with bugs so aggressive they make colonial marines look highly polished. Citizens split into into three camps. "It's not that bad, good even", "even though they said no patches I think there is a secret one in the works", and "we were so wrong how did this happen"
- CIG goes dark. Employees show up to locked doors and all the furniture gets auctioned off. Backers camp outside with signs. Servers shutter without a trace and the exe no longer launches. Full length documentaries air on hulu and netflix. Derek publishes his own 10 hour documentary and promises a sequel in July.

Not asking which is more likely. Just working on my hate boner for today

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MedicineHut posted:

I do not think they have a good shot at all. But I do think they are going for "transparency" blood, and for as much discovery as it can be made public.

It's a really expensive way to flame out, and they appear to have faith to the tune of half a million. Again, it's a jury trial, so there will be arguments, experts and opinions oh my.

I'd say that they have a really good shot, mainly because they're using CiGs own words, it remains to be seem whether they can navigate the course of 'when we said this, we actually meant this' and it's not like CiG hasn't been pulling out the stops to make this go away; hell the application for bond was originally intended to chill the whole thing, and it kinda failed because the court spotted it.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 20, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Virtual Captain posted:

which is more delicious?
- CIG has to release what they have and declares victory with no need for improvement patches. Chris and project get ridiculed across the entire net for unfinished boring tech demo with bugs so aggressive they make colonial marines look highly polished. Citizens split into into three camps. "It's not that bad, good even", "even though they said no patches I think there is a secret one in the works", and "we were so wrong how did this happen"
- CIG goes dark. Employees show up to locked doors and all the furniture gets auctioned off. Backers camp outside with signs. Servers shutter without a trace and the exe no longer launches. Full length documentaries air on hulu and netflix. Derek publishes his own 10 hour documentary and promises a sequel in July.

Not asking which is more likely. Just working on my hate boner for today

More delicious? Definitely CIG going dark. There's nothing like sudden death to put a shock into people in chronic denial. That will also add the aspect of "how long have they been lying to us." There's also more brutal finality to that kind of failure. And last but not least, it puts the final nail in the coffin of CIG's pretenses of being a game studio. If nothing ever releases, they go down in history as having zero shipped titles.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

In in-game terms this would take about 3 hours of current quests to earn, assuming they didn't fail

Wait wait, why are they saying this is equivalent to $100? Does real cash-bought currency in SC cost that much?!

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Saw this in the Bannerlord 2 Reddit announcement.

Everybody is making GBS threads on Star Citizen LOL!

Also. Bannerlord 2 is still more of a complete game than SC will EVER hope to be.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 20, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

890J looking real good
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7gtaao

Clearly very ready for a rollout

Those are speed holes

All these dense Citizens running into the sub thread like "No actually it's not for solo use."

Motherfuckers! There's no group content in the entire game! You can't even trade currency between players! There is not one single mechanical provision that would allow a group to support this loving whaleship. But because it flatters their assumptions about what might someday exist, it must be very cool and well designed. Aaaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010