Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think Tusk is more comparible to Stone Free or Sticky Fingers in that it's a fun, powerful stand but not obviously totally busted like some other protagonist stands. I'd honestly lump Crazy Diamond in this category too, it's powerful but the Hand, Echoes Act 2 and Heavens Door are all pretty loving busted too.

Progressing in my read, I forgot just how memorable all these early enemy of the week type stand battles are to me. They all have a gimmick or visuals that I immediately remembered getting back to it. It's nice to see more of Johnny's character. I really like the one moment where he is so reluctant to give up the corpse arm but does so to save Gyro's life. Also interesting that without the arm, Johnny loses his Stand. The other people we've seen develop an ability by entering the Devil's Palm don't seem to have a corpse part, so Johnny's power is clearly different.

We've also met the President of the United States, so this conflict is already pretty wild less than 30 chapters in.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't think we are supposed to know who's arm it is yet. Don't forget we got first timers here too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't think we are supposed to know who's arm it is yet. Don't forget we got first timers here too.
To be fair Araki pretty much tells the audience who it is from the narration in these recent chapters what with all the backstory with Joseph of Arimathea, its only ever really a mystery to the characters and even then Johnny suspects who it is rather early on

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 20, 2019

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The map being made by Joseph of Arimathea and the arm literally having a hole in it's palm is a pretty large giveaway. Certainly not subtle.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
All the differently shaped Presidents are a trip to look at now. I remember being curious about his (their?) ability when they first show up on the scene. Why are there so many? Why are they different, but clearly the same? Does he have an army of body doubles? WHO HAS THE ANSWERS?!???

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in the case of the president's posse i think it's literally just 'i'm the boss so y'all are gonna dress like i do' and instead of it just being powdered wigs it's like a whole ensemble because this is jojo

also some of y'all need to cool it on whipping out stuff that hasn't been said yet unless it's something inconsequential like a stand name that doesn't get directly said anyways. also don't mention anything from part 6.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Just gonna post this here because the coloring here in stunning.

Love these. :allears:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Johnny Joestar posted:

in the case of the president's posse i think it's literally just 'i'm the boss so y'all are gonna dress like i do' and instead of it just being powdered wigs it's like a whole ensemble because this is jojo

also some of y'all need to cool it on whipping out stuff that hasn't been said yet unless it's something inconsequential like a stand name that doesn't get directly said anyways. also don't mention anything from part 6.

Big time lol if the president just had everyone dress the same as him. I hadn’t even thought of that.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Crusader posted:

is Gyro helping Johnny aim his legs here?

Gyro is the best.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
My bad. I never realised the corpse's identity was really supposed to be that mysterious.

The President drinking that beer is top tier Jojo weirdness for me.

Scary Monsters is a fun little adventure too. Deigo is treated like poo poo by Johnny but I think at this point he's done basically nothing to indicate he's an antagonist. I mean he is trying to kill them as a dinosaur, but is that really his own will?

Deigo's back story has straight copied a big chunk straight from Dororo with his mother and the burning soup, which I didn't appreciate back when I first read SBR.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Scary Monsters is a fun little adventure too. Deigo is treated like poo poo by Johnny but I think at this point he's done basically nothing to indicate he's an antagonist. I mean he is trying to kill them as a dinosaur, but is that really his own will?

I mean, he is one of the top candidates to beat them in the race and has a reputation of being a shady shithead. Sure they dont have a reason to expect him to murder them, but theyve got all the reason in the world to think he might poison thier horses.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One of my favorite character dynamics is one character just deciding they can't stand the other for no particular reason so I support Johnny being a petty bitch.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they definitely don't have a specific reason to hate diego other than him being their competitor and diego doesn't really have a reason to be an rear end in a top hat to everyone other than just being an rear end in a top hat so at the end of the day it's all decidedly human, which is nice and a decent change of pace

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Diego is very much "what if DIO was a normal person" and it shows.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Laughing at the President shotgunning a beer just to demonstrate how the corpse's arm works.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The president invented beer cans just so he could shotgun them.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Stroheim showing up for all of, like, half a chapter and getting unceremoniously destroyed and basically never acknowledged again is the best thing about Stroheim in all of Jojo's.

Also,

Two miracles after death, right? Like, say, continuing to move after you die, and getting a mystic beetle arrow into the hands of Jesus someone who deserves it? I'm so glad Araki decided to confirm my Part 5 theory. :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I love that the followup to that was "Hey, doesn't that make me a saint?" and Gyro's response is "Sure why not go ask the pope".

I think it's less "sure, you're a saint" and more "yeah you can get the pope to tell you that arm in your arm is from a saint"

Johnny ain't dead yet

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 22, 2019

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I love that the followup to that was "Hey, doesn't that make me a saint?" and Gyro's response is "Sure why not go ask the pope".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the way johnny and gyro talk to each other is probably one of the best aspects of the part

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

the way johnny and gyro talk to each other is probably one of the best aspects of the part

If they're so big...why do you need opera glasses to see them?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Waffleman_ posted:

If they're so big...why do you need opera glasses to see them?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Is it too late to throw down an intro video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5irgveHy7U

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

God, I forgot just how batshit crazy Scary Monsters is. :allears:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Diego is British and they're all assholes over there so Johnny has the right idea

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

YF-23 posted:

God, I forgot just how batshit crazy Scary Monsters is. :allears:
I have always liked how weirdly Diego is acting before the "reveal".

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It is really freaky, the slow reveal itself is really freaky, Johnny noticing the mouth beyond the bandage is one of the creepiest things.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Catching up today, man the Oyecomova fight is kinda dumb!! I think the visual image of the clock pins is pretty weak andd the solution is kinda unsatisfying

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
He's really powerful, like his powers are stronger than Killer Queen's, and the heroes currently just have trick projectiles and horse riding.

Forgot just how disappointed Johnny was that the zombie horse would not fix his legs.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

YF-23 posted:

It is really freaky, the slow reveal itself is really freaky, Johnny noticing the mouth beyond the bandage is one of the creepiest things.

Yeah, I forgot just how hard it leans on "Okay, there is something clearly NOT RIGHT about that man", and how well it's executed.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Although the DIO reveal in Scary Monsters is still somehow more Jojo than expected from the leadup, I dunno, I don't think it's all THAT subtle with what's happening. But I was still greatly amused by Diego walking towards the coffee with his hands held chest level.

Kind of a shame Mountain Tim just gets left behind there after the few group shot teases, but unless someone explicitly dies I'm going to assume the door's wide open to them dropping back in at a later stretch of the race. ...And even then. We did just get through an anime part where one of the main characters is dead for like half the show.

I very much like how Johnny and Gyro's friendship is developing on both sides. The opera glasses conversation is like them really... connecting? For the first time, where it's not "I gotta know the mystery behind this guy/I admire his fighting spirit/still kinda giving each other poo poo because we're rivals" sort of thing. It's just been this natural building of building a rapport. They're in it together until the end now, and then of course Johnny immediately seizes upon the opening by distracting Gyro to get ahead of him in the race -- and completely brushes off that he JUST DID THAT when he finds Diego. What a pair. :allears:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just finished Volume 5 and man you can tell the shift to a monthly schedule is where things really start to sing. Gyro's backstory, the history of Joseph, the power of Saints and Johnny's desperation to hold onto the things he cares about make for a really powerful arc. Even Pork Pie Hat Kid and his Stand Wired are a pretty cool fight. Plus, we get to see Johnny's little baby Stand Tusk!

and The "Mister President" reveal is so good, coming at such a good time and giving us a greater scope of the world

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oh, and Oyecomova's Stand is named Listen To My Rhythm, or in Spanish, oye como va mi ritmo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh, and Oyecomova's Stand is named Listen To My Rhythm, or in Spanish, oye como va mi ritmo.
Both his and his stand's names are references to Tito Puente as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFpCALtVUcE

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 25, 2019

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

whoops this isnt c-spam!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tell c-spam to read steel ball run

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Finally finishing up this round and I always enjoyed how pre-Scary Monsters, you're waiting for the other shoe to drop with Diego but it turns out he's about as much of a gremlin man as Johnny or Gyro. Like he's not purposefully trying to trick anyone, he's just the type of person to go, "Actually, I'm totally fine. What's with the rocks? Why Johnny, you silly goose, it's a health fad. It's for digestion, you see. I'm normal." Like he'd rather die than admit he needs help or that something's wrong, which is totally Dio, if Dio were just an rear end in a top hat and not completely evil.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's definitely the thing to keep in mind with diego. he's like a revisit of dio except basically just not cartoonishly evil and it rules because of it. his backstory gives him sort of a reason to be the way he is towards others (to some minute degree, at least) and the rest is just him being a pedantic dickhead who would rather bleed out after getting hit by a car than let his perceived enemy call 911.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Diego's characterization in Scary Monsters 1 is great from beginning to end and it's one of the reasons why he is my favorite Dio.

The other reason is that I never grew out of thinking dinosaurs are the raddest poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Everyone has said it, but Diego is so refreshing and funny. This cast is so good, and can switch from serious conspiracy and mystery to absolute stupid comedy