Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Honky Dong Country posted:

I don't mind landing my sons with primo, I just make sure they're married first. Granted this doesn't always work because wives die, but it's something.

I once had a son that I married to a genius. He had that genius murdered and immediately married some stupid cousin that he was previously caught fuckin'. Whaddaya gonna do? :shrug:

That's actually kind of touching. True love. :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Honky Dong Country posted:

I don't mind landing my sons with primo, I just make sure they're married first. Granted this doesn't always work because wives die, but it's something.

I once had a son that I married to a genius. He had that genius murdered and immediately married some stupid cousin that he was previously caught fuckin'. Whaddaya gonna do? :shrug:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The guy had the right of it, in my last game my all around competent leader married a foreign non-related Genius girl and when I finally got an heir out of 'em, the kid turned out as an Imbecile.

He did somehow inherit Iceland while I wasn't looking though.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

My King of Aquitaine got hare-lip from somewhere and this dude was a serious philanderer. I think he had like fourteen illegitimate children (whom I of course recognised) and twelve of them were girls who were all married off to functionally every vaguely important dynasty in Europe.

Now pretty much every king+ noble in Europe is harelipped. Noble inbreeding at it's finest.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Genetic inheritance can really screw you over sometimes. My genius ruler and his "quick" wife managed to have a daughter who was an imbecile. Through some childhood events she somehow upgraded to "slow", but obviously was not heir material. The wife made some other, less terrible, daughters, but no male, so I legitimised one of my male bastards, who was a genius, and problem solved.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah my.Viking ruling clan is becoming inundated with club foots. Not 100% sure what that is and if it's even genetic

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah my.Viking ruling clan is becoming inundated with club foots. Not 100% sure what that is and if it's even genetic

Clubfoot is when the foot or feet are born twisted (due to shorter tendons and muscles in the feet than what's normal); it's not generally painful, but it will generally cause a limp if untreated.
It is genetic in that babies are twice as likely to be born with the condition if their parents and/or siblings had it (in-game it's a 15% chance to inherit), but it's also possible to treat through casts and braces while the baby is developing, or surgery if that's not enough.
It's been identified at least as far back as Hippocrates, and even treated similarly to the modern cast/brace reshaping, but invasive techniques didn't really come into successful use until the 1970s or so.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I stupidly empowered my council as a count and they won't pass any of my law changes. Do I need their permission to disempower them? I don't care if they get mad, but I don't want to press the button just for them to get mad while the council remains empowered.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I stupidly empowered my council as a count and they won't pass any of my law changes. Do I need their permission to disempower them? I don't care if they get mad, but I don't want to press the button just for them to get mad while the council remains empowered.

You do. Fire all your councilors and replace them with yes-men (people that like you a lot). Or buy favors from some unlanded characters for cheap, and then make them councilors. Call in your favors so that they will vote to disempower the council (takes two votes usually). Then you can put your powerful vassals on the council again.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Ways to fix this in ascending order of bothersomeness

1) Replace your council members with people who love you and have that little green "Loyalist" circle under their predicted attitude as council member

2) Ask nicely for your council to support you (once you ask an individual you have 3 years ingame time to use their support)

3) Buy favors from your council to force them to support you (this get extremely expensive once your council member is Duke rank or higher, triple expensive for merchant republic doges)

4) Wait many years to build up prestige and longtime ruler bonuses to opinion and for councilors that hate you to die.

At any time you can check by mousing over the change law buttons to see who would support or oppose a given law change. They will almost always oppose removing council power unless they absolutely love you and have no land of their own.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Hogama posted:

Clubfoot is when the foot or feet are born twisted (due to shorter tendons and muscles in the feet than what's normal); it's not generally painful, but it will generally cause a limp if untreated.
It is genetic in that babies are twice as likely to be born with the condition if their parents and/or siblings had it (in-game it's a 15% chance to inherit), but it's also possible to treat through casts and braces while the baby is developing, or surgery if that's not enough.
It's been identified at least as far back as Hippocrates, and even treated similarly to the modern cast/brace reshaping, but invasive techniques didn't really come into successful use until the 1970s or so.

I have a friend with this and was not treated when he was a baby and now has a pretty bad limp and cannot walk for long distances. It sucks.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

appropriatemetaphor posted:

There's a pregnancy event where you feed your wife various foods and they can lead to things like clubfoot and harelip.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how did this guy Ahma get one of my provinces

did he steal it from me with legal tricks and fraud

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

oddium posted:

how did this guy Ahma get one of my provinces

did he steal it from me with legal tricks and fraud

I'm afraid to say that ahma unable to assist (sorry not sorry), although could you tell me how/why Erkki has an 'Elder' prefix, like that? I'm not sure if I've ever seen that before, to be honest.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

reformed the reindeer pagan into ancestor worship, the elders vote on the next heir

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I haven't played in a long while, so I went and got the latest expansions and gave ironman a whirl. Never gotten anywhere with the christian tribals in Charlemagne, let's see if anything's changed.

*few hours later, as the most serene republic of Eire and Mercia*

Huh, turns out holy orders combined with 'request claim' and agnatic succession is a touch overpowered.

e: societies not orders, whichever

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 20, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

jerman999 posted:

There's a pregnancy event where you feed your wife various foods and they can lead to things like clubfoot and harelip.

Do you know which one? I'd like to avoid that.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

Do you know which one? I'd like to avoid that.

It's the one where your wife is demanding weird poo poo to eat. Your options are a hare's head, a quail's foot, or a fish's eye, which can give harelip, clubfoot, or ugly, respectively, to your future child; or you can just let her eat whatever she wants which gives her glutton. It's a pretty common pregnancy event.

e: it's kind of a bummer of an event because there isn't really a good outcome, but pound for pound letting your wife (or yourself) be a glutton is probably the most optimal choice under the circumstances. The rest give hereditary traits which are going to take forever to breed out, glutton you can get rid of via societies.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 20, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GHOST_BUTT posted:

It's the one where your wife is demanding weird poo poo to eat. Your options are a hare's head, a quail's foot, or a fish's eye, which can give harelip, clubfoot, or ugly, respectively, to your future child; or you can just let her eat whatever she wants which gives her glutton. It's a pretty common pregnancy event.

e: it's kind of a bummer of an event because there isn't really a good outcome, but pound for pound letting your wife (or yourself) be a glutton is probably the most optimal choice under the circumstances. The rest give hereditary traits which are going to take forever to breed out, glutton you can get rid of via societies.

I think the "give her whatever she wants" option can actually have POSITIVE results for the kid? Even if it makes your wife a glutton it's a net gain.

But yeah I'm not a huge fan of events giving people hereditary traits, especially really common events like that one.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It’s honestly up there with Chess With Death as one of the worst events in the game for me

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What triggers the chess with death event, anyway? I had it pop on like three rulers in a row a while back.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

GHOST_BUTT posted:

:psyduck: that's what's going on??

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Yes. If you open the character finder and look for those 3 genetic traits there will be way more characters with them than with others.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
If I convert to Hellenism, does my entire empire change over at once, or does it end up being a poo poo show? The pope is my vassal if that matters.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Armacham posted:

If I convert to Hellenism, does my entire empire change over at once, or does it end up being a poo poo show? The pope is my vassal if that matters.

If you do it via secret cult, everyone in the cult will openly convert. If you do it by reforming Rome, there will be a big civil war but some vassals will join you. If you just convert there will be no big surge of conversion. Once you do, don't demand conversion because you'll just have a secret Christian problem. Convert their kids via heritage focus or your priest.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the "give her whatever she wants" option can actually have POSITIVE results for the kid? Even if it makes your wife a glutton it's a net gain.

But yeah I'm not a huge fan of events giving people hereditary traits, especially really common events like that one.

There's an option that causes nothing to happen but you need a certain trait (greedy?) to see it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I think I'm basically done with my first campaign as Sweden. Was pretty fun just dunking on everyone, but kinda hit that tipping point where I can just win against whoever.

Thinking of doing someone in the UK area and going for the Unite the British Isles cheevo?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I haven't played this in a long time. Tried my first game as duke of Sicily, had a lunatic mystic Satanist Hellenist with the Necronomicon. He was highly prestigious and shortly after he died, his heir was unanimously elected emperor of Byzantium. Then all of the nobles in Byzantium were like "No, actually, gently caress you" and he was captured and died and all my titles went to someone not in my dynasty, RIP me.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

GHOST_BUTT posted:

:stare:

gently caress me that's where all the harelips are coming from.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SirPhoebos posted:

I fixed that, by the way. More or less.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1798778868

It takes the percentages from seventy loving percent to five since it is clearly an easter egg sort of thing.

I could do one with 0, but from a bunch of gameplay, the results from 5% are so negligible that it's not even worth noting.

The congenital trait additions also give you +2 in a skill, by the way. It is in no way worth it. But the one that gives gluttonous can also give her +1 health, so she's more likely to survive the pregnancy. I still tend to pick it anyway if I'm particularly attached to a wife or if she's ill.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I briefly felt like getting back to my CK2 game and almost first thing ghe pope declared a crusade against me and the buddhist faith

So I beat their crusade, and then invaded rome. And now rome is buddhist gently caress you pope.

Some how Catholicism still has 96.4 moral authority despite this. But it's fine.

I'm considering taking some more Italian land and then handing over a king level theocracy to a random Buddhist priest based out of rome, for ultimate gently caress you.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KittyEmpress posted:

So I briefly felt like getting back to my CK2 game and almost first thing ghe pope declared a crusade against me and the buddhist faith

So I beat their crusade, and then invaded rome. And now rome is buddhist gently caress you pope.

Some how Catholicism still has 96.4 moral authority despite this. But it's fine.

I'm considering taking some more Italian land and then handing over a king level theocracy to a random Buddhist priest based out of rome, for ultimate gently caress you.

KITTYEMPRESS BEWARE, I took Rome as the Hellenics and I could not loving get away from the requests from the Pope to reconquer the place in exchange for coronations. I was at about 40 total by the time I ended that game from both the HRE and a nomadic empire that went Catholic.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The good news is I was at 4600 grace with China, so with that warning and a bit more spite for the would be crusaders, I just sent china one of my kids as a eunuch and then requested they invade the HRE and shatter it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Midnight Voyager posted:

KITTYEMPRESS BEWARE, I took Rome as the Hellenics and I could not loving get away from the requests from the Pope to reconquer the place in exchange for coronations. I was at about 40 total by the time I ended that game from both the HRE and a nomadic empire that went Catholic.

Acting like it isn't your mission to suppress the followers of the dead god anyway.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Where does the "Kingdom of Crusader France" come from? It's a titular title, but in my game it exists alongside normal France, they're both ruled by Capets, and it just seems like a pretty normal feudal kingdom. The Muslims have creeped up into Aquitane, so I figure it must be some event generated thing caused by that, but I can't find anything about it

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

super fart shooter posted:

Where does the "Kingdom of Crusader France" come from? It's a titular title, but in my game it exists alongside normal France, they're both ruled by Capets, and it just seems like a pretty normal feudal kingdom. The Muslims have creeped up into Aquitane, so I figure it must be some event generated thing caused by that, but I can't find anything about it

Yeah it came from a crusade that would have been called to reconquer those lands from the Muslims. https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Crusades,_Jihads_and_Great_Holy_Wars#Crusader_States

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

KittyEmpress posted:

The good news is I was at 4600 grace with China, so with that warning and a bit more spite for the would be crusaders, I just sent china one of my kids as a eunuch and then requested they invade the HRE and shatter it.

Shattering big blobs via China is a pro move and one of my favorite things. In some situations it's a straight up necessity (basically anybody that needs to expand into blobbed Tibet/Abbasids or maybe deal with a monolithic nomad horde).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is there a way to view the direct vassals map mode but have everything not my realm be greyed out. i feel like probably not but it would be nice

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

oddium posted:

is there a way to view the direct vassals map mode but have everything not my realm be greyed out. i feel like probably not but it would be nice

Not that I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

The solution here is to so thoroughly eradicate Catholocism from the world that one of the heresies that doesn't require papal coronation ends up replacing it as the mainstream religion.