Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer posted:

I've been running a high fever the last few days and don't remember making that Gangrel post. I am delighted that fever-me is indistinguishable from regular me in this thread.

Being honest, I was actually hoping you'd get out the gematria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What happens to the nosferatu during the embrace that makes them so ugly?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
While I'm sick I'm chewing through a couple of the novels I never got around to incorporating into the database. Here's a line from one that highlights why having a fever is a benefit when trying to suffer through them:
"With a sly, enigmatic smile, she had intrigued more than a few men in the short span of her adult years."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

I've been running a high fever the last few days and don't remember making that Gangrel post. I am delighted that fever-me is indistinguishable from regular me in this thread.

Never change, Loomer.

V5 chat: One of my buddies is playing it and having a blast, they didn't follow the online drama, so had nothing biasing them against it going in. I'll probably check it out one day, but I have no real reason to stop using Requiem any time soon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Metapod posted:

God has cursed them.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Playing a Cleopatra Nos who was in denial about their affliction was some of the most fun I had playing vampire.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Metapod posted:

It's their clan weakness, lmfao. Try reading the drat book. Vampire is a good game

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

It's their clan weakness, lmfao. Try reading the drat book. Vampire is a good game

Sorry just trying to fit in by being purposely ignorant to the game

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
what happened to your posting more like

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

New Night Horrors preview brings to mind our soulchat from awhile back

quote:

Vedmak do not place themselves within their own attached souls, since this produces a paradox: a Tremere inside a soul, inside a Tremere, inside a soul…. The Storyteller is free to invent a strange consequence for characters who do it anyway.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Who has a good, newbie friendly, online die roller? I used to use http://rpgroller.com/nwod/ but it's been down for a bit now. The base domain brings up a directory, but the roller doesn't work. I've found some nice CoD rollers, but none that keep logs you can link to. For my werewolf game, it's no big deal, the players can just post screen shots of the onyx path app, but I'm gonna be running a play by post for one of my lefty facebook groups for halloween and I need an online roller that will do the work for the players and keep a log for me to view.

Also: Pumped for that new Night Horror book.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Weirdly enough I've found roll20 pretty good for that and very little else.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Don't you need to make an account and physically enter a character sheet? I've used it in some D&D games, but this is going to have pregenerated characters with custom abilities. It's designed to be super easy and no speed bumps to start play for the new folks

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No good for that then, yeah. I just go in and /roll 3d10 etc to be honest.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

Sorry just trying to fit in by being purposely ignorant to the game

Wait Nosferatu in which game

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
http://orokos.com/ requires an account but doesn't require a character sheet.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Loomer posted:

Weirdly enough I've found roll20 pretty good for that and very little else.

Yeah, my group mainly uses roll 20 for the dice roller and depending on the game character sheet. Though just as often we just use our physical sheets and don't worry with it.

All our voice chat is done on Discord. The built in stuff is very bad if you have a larger play group.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If you have Discord, you can invite the Sidekick bot and it rolls dice pretty well, but you have to interpret the results because it doesn't have like WoD dice or anything, just d10s.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

If you have Discord, you can invite the Sidekick bot and it rolls dice pretty well, but you have to interpret the results because it doesn't have like WoD dice or anything, just d10s.

Oh cool, that is really helpful. Needing to roll dice comes up in so many situations, even outside sessions.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

http://orokos.com/ requires an account but doesn't require a character sheet.

Will probably use this for my real games, but I wish it was a world of darkness mode instead of just adding everything together. No problem for my experienced players, but I'll have to make sure that the noobs reroll their 10s and then link to that second or third set of rolls.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Will probably use this for my real games, but I wish it was a world of darkness mode instead of just adding everything together. No problem for my experienced players, but I'll have to make sure that the noobs reroll their 10s and then link to that second or third set of rolls.

Orikos CoD Dice Syntax: 10d10o10h8

Change the first 10d10 to the character's pool, 8d10, 6d10, etc.
Remove the o10 to get rid of 10 agains, change it to o9 or o8 for 9- and 8-again.
Change the h8 if for some reason you need different target number for Mummy or whatever.

edit: Chance Die: 1d10o10h10

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Barbed Tongues posted:

Remove the o10 to get rid of 10 agains, change it to o9 or o8 for 9- and 8-again.
Change the h8 if for some reason you need different target number for Mummy or whatever.

This is wonderful, having a template like this is the next best thing to my old roller!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Barbed Tongues posted:

Both this, and you, rock. Thanks!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
I more or less finished up my reading of Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition. This came after WtF 2e, meaning that the only 2e games I have left to read is Changeling the Lost and Demon the Descent.

I also already read Vtr and WtF 2e, as well as Mortal Remains which is Hunter's pseudo-2e update. But after Promethean what line should I read next, 1e or 2e? I've been a big fan of Mage the Awakening, but it's kind of familiar ground I already tread so I'm considering getting my feet wet with a new line entirely. I heard that Demon is one of the best "extra" lines as of late, which may be worth looking into. Changeling seems cool but I heard that the 2e upgrade changes things up thematically. I heard good things about Geist, although it apparently had some errata and update problems. Mummy sounds rather quirky. I'll report the post of anyone who suggests Beast.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 22, 2019

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Libertad! posted:

I more or less finished up my reading of Promethean: the Created 2nd Edition. This came after WtF 2e, meaning that the only 2e games I have left to read is Changeling the Lost and Demon the Descent.

I also already read Vtr and WtF 2e, as well as Mortal Remains which is Hunter's pseudo-2e update. But after Promethean what line should I read next, 1e or 2e? I've been a big fan of Mage the Awakening, but it's kind of familiar ground I already tread so I'm considering getting my feet wet with a new line entirely. I heard that Demon is one of the best "extra" lines as of late, which may be worth looking into. Changeling seems cool but I heard that the 2e upgrade changes things up thematically. I heard good things about Geist, although it apparently had some errata and update problems. Mummy sounds rather quirky. I'll report the post of anyone who suggests Beast.

Changeling 2e doesn't change things thematically nearly as much as Promethean 2e does, I would say. It does change a lot around mechanically, but the themes are largely intact and good. (I think the thematic changes in Promethean are indirect: the narration and fluff text is fine and hits the same traditional notes, but the mechanical introduction of Roles has a big impact on how the Pilgrimage plays out.)

Demon: the Descent is the best CofD gameline. Period.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Geist 2e's also a huge step up from the 1e, in terms of playability and also having stuff to do, but so far the 2e gameline consists of the corebook, which I don't think is even out in final PDF yet?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I love both Changeling and Geist, but the correct answer is Demon. Even if it's a weird pseudo nWoD1.0/2.0 mashup, it is amazing

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Soonmot posted:

I love both Changeling and Geist, but the correct answer is Demon. Even if it's a weird pseudo nWoD1.0/2.0 mashup, it is amazing

There's no 1e mashup in Demon except in terms of layout. It's laid out like a 1e corebook (including needing the 1e Rulebook or another full CofD rulebook), but mechanically it's all normal 2e rules.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought there was some weirdness with it? It's been a long time since I've read it, maybe I'm thinking of a different game? Was it Blood & Smoke before it became Requiem 2.0 officially?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Soonmot posted:

I thought there was some weirdness with it? It's been a long time since I've read it, maybe I'm thinking of a different game? Was it Blood & Smoke before it became Requiem 2.0 officially?

Demon came out shortly after the "God-Machine Chronicle" rules update that would eventually simply become the 2E of the game, and it's one of the first nWoD games to use the 2E rules, but it's fully 2E compatible.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I don't know what I was misremembering then.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey. what kind of representation of haunted houses show up in WoD? I know levels of Dementation can make a house seem haunted, and there's Thaumaturgy/Necromancy paths that do the same, and wraiths/demons can occupy vessels of which (presumably) a house would be one, but I was toying around with the idea of a Changeling adversary which is basically a patch of Thorns which can manifest in the real world as a haunted house.
Primarily it works by producing counterfiet Icons which lead the beguiled into believing that their childhood home is nearby, and that the denizens inside are their still living mortal family.

THEN THEY GET EATEN BY A PIANO. or a Death Bed, which is a bed that eats. Maybe the "family" are transmogrified Hobgoblins, living inside the haunted house like those frogs that live in pitcher plants.

Just curious how often it's been done before.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ooooo, what if a house got Claimed. I think I have a new one off werewolf antagonist.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Here's my extremely cursory notes. I had the vague idea that the dice pool for each attack would be contingent on the number of victims the house had succeeded in eating before, but that's complicated and nobody at my table cared enough to do the math. I also just. . . Never got to use this, so. . .

Here's the first half, which I WAS able to use, which the players IMMEDIATELY saw through and abandoned.

The Honey Trap posted:

In your runs through the Hedge, you notice a recurring patch of Thorns decorated with an unusually high number of Icons. While passing past on unrelated business, you hear the voice of a young girl, and freeze in place.
Something within you is screaming, that voice strikes a chord so familiar you’d swear it was Wonderwall. You remember an offwhite living room, your father’s mustache, sitting in a high chair at the Boulevard Diner.
A silver and black film camera dangles from an especially violent thorn. It’s far too familiar to be something unrelated to you, so you risk the ire of the goblins that farm these icons for the Markets and snatch it, running off before anyone notices.
On your next free moment, you sit down and glance through the viewfinder of the camera. A familiar living room fills your view, behaving more like a virtual reality than a camera. By moving the camera in real space, the viewfinder moves about your old house.
Mustard colored carpets, a wood-paneled television with shiny silver knobs, you can see a bit of the kitchen linoleum, which is covered in a pattern of pale green squares and rectangles laid out like haphazard city blocks. (note: i based this off my childhood home, feel free to subsitute descriptions of the house from King Of The Hill if your players would appreciate it.)
You see a man and a woman, though they are facing away from the camera no matter your point of view. Opposite the kitchen, across the living room, is a short hallway. Standing in the furthest door, framed by a backlit curtain, stands a small girl. She is looking at you, though you cannot discern specifics of her face.

The idea was they'd go to this house which still looks exactly as described, have a few social interactions with the people in the house which start fine then get increasingly creepy, realize the mustard carpeting is trying to eat them, and peace out violently. When the house returns, it returns in this secondary form since the house knows it won't be able to fool the players a second time.

The House That Lies posted:

The hallway spirals out before you, a single row of warped planks through a cloying darkness. A quiet hostility pervades the space. You see a trio of lights marking off places where the path branches, two to the left and one to the right. Thin dusty carpets suggest that the paths continue, though you cannot see where from your position. After the, the planks trail off into darkness you cannot pierce.

FAR END- Stomach. Grapple attacks, contested dice pool vs 7 or something. can cut through to escape, ends up in basement.
L1: Spooky Parent Conversation. Clarity attacks, asks: DID YOU DO WELL IN SCHOOL, DID YOU DO YOUR CHORES, DID YOU SAY YOUR PRAYERS. To escape, players must deny the form of the question (i have no homework, there is no one to pray to) if they lie and say yes, they risk clarity damage as the Parents ask them to describe their lie, then play out the visuals they describe on a TV. If they say no, they are Punished. 1) Forced to memorize nonsense statements from books (drains willpower), forced to carry weights up a series of spikes (physical damage), 3) if they complete the prayer, it opens a gate to Arcadia. (Consider using this as the ironic response to questions like "who do you pray to" or "pray to what?")

L2: Bully Dodge (incapacitate by locking in closet or pulling furniture down upon, if active will hedgespin against escaping target.) A minotaur taunts characters who succeed in dodging his attacks. Eventually becomes a chase scene as the room goes on ad infinitum, Flintstones style. Threat of physical damage, but primary motivation should be the cruel minotaur trying to goad the players into a physical altercation.
(Idea: Use a variant on the Social Manipulation system for making people mad, Doors represent areas of emotional vulnerability. Or, make players write down things their characters would be vulnerable about, and as your roleplay the interaction, have them flip the cards over when the Minotaur strikes a nerve. When all cards are flipped over, the character is driven to violence.)
The twist here is that the Minotaur will not directly attack anyone who fails to run from it. Instead, it will stand close and verbally abuse the subject to their face until the subject experiences a breakdown or instigates a fight. Subdued characters are carried into the basement and fed to the Boiler.
Minotaur is defeated by turning your back to it and refusing to acknowledge or respond to its abuse. If it's giving chase, it can be tripped up with the furniture in the room, locked in a wardrobe, shunted into a closet, that kind of thing. As the characters get far enough from it, they find a door to the Basement.

R: The Eulogy Of You: Find yourself standing at a podium before a casket. You lie inside, fully human. The people in the crowd stare at you with blank faces. What will you say? (if the eulogy is lacking, character gains Condition: Dark Fate, as they become convinced they saw the moment of their own burial.) If the speech is acceptable, the subject is buried peacefully. (This should be roleplayed but a successful Expression check earns the player some assistance. Maybe let them prepare a notecard to read ahead of time.)
If it is rejected, the character witnesses a Huntsman shoot them through the heart with a crossbow bolt made of sharpened rebar, then they flash back to the room as the crowd is rioting and desecrating the corpse.

Basement: Either by stepping off the planks or tearing at the walls, the players end up in the basement.
The ceiling is low and full of twisting, multicolored conduits, all leading to the immense black boiler, squat in the far corner. An elaborate stained glass front on the boiler fills the room with swirling colors. The room is so warm you feel yourself grow sleepy. . .
(Some kind of mezmer attack, characters are lulled to sleep then cooked alive. Not as a "one roll and everyone's roasted" type deal, give wakeful players the ability to un-mezmer the rest of the party. Maybe we witness a web of fire burst from the boiler and drag sleepers back inside.)
WIN: if the players bypass these challenges, the Hearth Spider grants them a favor.
"The stained glass gate on the front of the boiler burst forth, and an enormous spider crawled out, it's wide flat abdomen roughly shaped like an angry skull.
"I am Trapdoor, and once again you have stumbled into my web! You have bested my challenges and are due your just rewards, under ONE CONDITION! You leave without harming me or my home and never enter again uninvited." (If pressed, Trapdoor will pledge not to harm them or any of their mortal kin.)
Grants a total of 2x boons per success, split between players.

Unused Room: The Death Bedroom. "You step into the master bedroom in a well-apointed chalet, it smells of bourbon and pipe tobacco. A four-poster bed dominates the room, adjacent to a bearskin rug before a roaring fireplace. A small bookshelf full of large, leatherbound books completes the room.
Trying to sleep in the room ends with characters trying to swim out of its stomach-bed or resist a mawling by the bearskin rug. Extinguishing the fire reveals a ladder to the basement.

Cursory Dice Math: House rolls 3+Wyrd Pool, where Pool is equivalent to the sum of all Wyrd of everything the house has digested. +1 bonus Wyrd for active contracts/touchstones/any mystical connections which draw more prey to the house. (EG a 3-Wyrd changeling with 3 Touchstones, 2 of which feel themselves drawn into the hedge in pursuit of their friend counts as 5, because the house feeds on the Wyrd's connections.)
House metabolizes 1 Wyrd per week to maintain the Honey Trap, and 1 Wyrd per week of actively maintained Attack Room. Creating new Icons costs double the Wyrd of it's dot value, the more dots the more convincing the Icon is. Modifying existing Icons cuts the cost in half. (EG, a 4-dot Icon rolls 4~ dice to resist focused skeptical investigation. Is that too few?)
Bringing a new room online costs 1+current weekly metabolism.
For example, a 2-room house burns through 3 Wyrd per week, to expand into a 3rd room would be a one-time cost of 4 Wyrd.
Trapdoor Stats: lol prolly not great. Generally the idea is Trapdoor lets its house incapacitate foes before it feeds, which puts it at a low personal risk but means it has to feed more frequently than it would on its own. If cornered, it relies on webbing to keep foes away and fire to do most of the harm. It prolly has a paralyzing bite or something but is much more likely to negotiate a peaceful surrender. (Idea: Loyalists cooperate with the House to dispose of captured Changelings they don't want to sell to a Keeper.)

TO PERMANENTLY DESTROY: The real-world side of the house is prone to burn down then spring up again, totally unchanged, in a different location. Destroying the boiler slows the regeneration, but the only way to prevent ressurection forever is to destroy the Thornpatch on the other side of the hedge, the one with the decoy Icons that lure the unwitting into the house in the first place.

I wanted a threat with limited direct "NOW U DIE" powers, while exploring what traumas a house might emulate.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 23, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That is legit great, and now I think I might use this for the newbie halloween game instead of hookhand serial killer monster and his scarecrow minions

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I wanted a threat with limited direct "NOW U DIE" powers, while exploring what traumas a house might emulate.

A mortgage.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

so we have an IC facebook group...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Convince the Caitiff to become an IC twitch streamer, then notify the ST that you’d like to have him Swatted. See if you can frame the ventrue!

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
if you aren't playing the Ventrue as a rapacious capitalist blueblood then what the hell is the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

yeah the Ventrue Primogen being like 'actually Ventrue are not republicans' is loving hilariously dumb