Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

scary ghost dog posted:

its weird to say but rick and morty really is the only show with a protagonist that approaches david in his omnipotence

man, i just did a re-watch of rick and morty season 1-3 and it really is a fuckin shame about the fanbase. It's such a good show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

rewatching the final episodes of season one and man these characters were a lot more sympathetic, and positive, something that's really sad to have disappeared later on.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

That's next to impossible to suggest for, all things considered, but out of everything I suggested I'll say Magicians was the only one to make me emotional so that's my highest rec.

Thinking about it you're right since what connects with me emotionally won't necessarily resonate with others and what I find thought provoking someone else might find cliche or banal. I knew it was a tall order when I asked but thanks for trying, I'll definitely check out Magicians.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Accidental double post :(

night slime
May 14, 2014

double nine posted:

rewatching the final episodes of season one and man these characters were a lot more sympathetic, and positive, something that's really sad to have disappeared later on.

That's true, I posted before that I felt like I was watching something different later on in seasons and I think it's because there's mostly plot happenings or random dialogue in S2, like Melanie's rants that sound like something Hawley wrote and wanted to shoehorn in. One of the few really good character scenes was Kerry and Cary talking at the diner.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

bring back old gbs posted:

man, i just did a re-watch of rick and morty season 1-3 and it really is a fuckin shame about the fanbase. It's such a good show

here's a secret: I actually like johnny the homicidal maniac and invader zim. I think jhonen vasquez is talented and funny.

i can never admit that in public because i'll get some absolute waste screaming "TACOS" within five seconds.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

here's a secret: I actually like johnny the homicidal maniac and invader zim. I think jhonen vasquez is talented and funny.

i can never admit that in public because i'll get some absolute waste screaming "TACOS" within five seconds.

not da tuNNAAAAA??????? >.<

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Whenever I think of Invader Zim, I think of the Doom Song.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Corte posted:

Thinking about it you're right since what connects with me emotionally won't necessarily resonate with others and what I find thought provoking someone else might find cliche or banal. I knew it was a tall order when I asked but thanks for trying, I'll definitely check out Magicians.
Did anybody suggest Maniac on Netflix? It has a similar kind of style, especially how they mix together technology props from a lot of different eras and treat them all like it's the most advanced poo poo on the planet. There's also some similar subject matter because a lot of it's about a mentally ill character.

It does have a little more style than substance, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

AtraMorS posted:

Did anybody suggest Maniac on Netflix? It has a similar kind of style, especially how they mix together technology props from a lot of different eras and treat them all like it's the most advanced poo poo on the planet. There's also some similar subject matter because a lot of it's about a mentally ill character.

It does have a little more style than substance, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

That's a great suggestion! Too bad I've already seen it but I definitely can see the parallels and think it's the closest to the mark so far. I'm not saying it was perfect but it definitely hit some of the same notes for me as Legion

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Hahaha I totally get what you mean. I'm excited for the new Netflix movie!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Corte posted:

Totally forgot but someone else's suggestion reminded me: Fargo Season 2 also made me very emotional via one of the B-plots. Season 1 is also just extremely good television, though, and you should watch it prior to S2.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Totally forgot but someone else's suggestion reminded me: Fargo Season 2 also made me very emotional via one of the B-plots. Season 1 is also just extremely good television, though, and you should watch it prior to S2.

Fargo has been solid. There was a subplot with a robot who could’ve only say “I can help” that just left me so depressed.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Von_Doom posted:

Fargo has been solid. There was a subplot with a robot who could’ve only say “I can help” that just left me so depressed.
Oh my God I forgot all about that. Season 3 had some good poo poo but felt less cohesive or thematic to me than the rest. Sorta felt like it ended on a bland note, too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kindof hosed up for Switch to say that everyone in that room mattered, and not say Kari/Carrie's name.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fargo season 2 and to a slightly lesser extent season 1 are basically the only reasons I gave Legion a try.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

IUG posted:

Kindof hosed up for Switch to say that everyone in that room mattered, and not say Kerry/Carrie's name.

Yeah, I thought that was an odd slight as well. They were pretty clearly quite vital to that plan actually being able to go off, and it's not like they didn't have the time to say "And Kerry/Carrie"

But I suppose they were about to be un-existed anyway, and it wouldn't really matter

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I liked the ending, but I’m always a sucker for extended timeskip epilogues, so I was hoping that at the very end we would jump to a future where we pan across from the Xavier School for Mutants sign to a class with teenage David. Then a new girl is introduced to the class and she greets him as Syd, implying that they eventually meet in better circumstances (and that her mother would have had a place to send her to learn her powers).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

IUG posted:

Kindof hosed up for Switch to say that everyone in that room mattered, and not say Kari/Carrie's name.

I thought that was due to the temporal fuckery of them sharing a body. They did it to confuse the time demons, maybe switch couldn’t see them or something

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I liked the ending, but I’m always a sucker for extended timeskip epilogues, so I was hoping that at the very end we would jump to a future where we pan across from the Xavier School for Mutants sign to a class with teenage David. Then a new girl is introduced to the class and she greets him as Syd, implying that they eventually meet in better circumstances (and that her mother would have had a place to send her to learn her powers).

They kinda had to leave it open-ended. Hawley and co did a really nice job of giving us a hopeful, cathartic ending while at the same time leaving enough hints that things could still potentially end up poorly for David. The "Mother" cover as the emotional peak of the show perfectly encapsulated this weird coexistence of comfort and chaos: things may feel warm and gooey but is this feeling to be trusted?

night slime
May 14, 2014

IUG posted:

I thought it was cause they hadn't suffered and mostly were happy about their lives. They're not time traveling to fix their own poo poo, it was the others.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Vernacular posted:

The "Mother" cover as the emotional peak of the show perfectly encapsulated this weird coexistence of comfort and chaos: things may feel warm and gooey but is this feeling to be trusted?
About that. That was definitely the musical peak of the episode, but the central conflict still hadn't been resolved at that point, and I think the show was suggesting that David would need both parents around if he was going to turn out okay and in control of himself. At the "Mother" point in the episode, Gabrielle had been convinced to love and nurture David, but Charles' would still be out of the picture, so we're getting hints of what it might be like if Gabrielle tried to raise David alone. Also, Gabrielle tells Charles at the end that "things don't make sense when you're not around" and "I can't do this without you."

It's kind of a yucky message for single parents.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Well, she had pretty serious PTSD. I don’t think the show was trying to make any statements about single moms.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

beanieson posted:

Well, she had pretty serious PTSD. I don’t think the show was trying to make any statements about single moms.
Yeah, very true. David's mental illnesses might also be hereditary, so even with Farouk removed from his mind, he still might have a difficult childhood/adulthood; having a parent around who has some superhuman expertise in that kind of thing would definitely be helpful.

It's just that they made the point in a vague way that doesn't really call attention to those things. You have to look back a couple of episodes or more for that context, and in the moment, it kinda came off as "Two parents good, one parent bad."

I don't mean it as a condemnation or anything, just that the finale maybe didn't make its case as strongly as it could've.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

AtraMorS posted:

About that. That was definitely the musical peak of the episode, but the central conflict still hadn't been resolved at that point, and I think the show was suggesting that David would need both parents around if he was going to turn out okay and in control of himself. At the "Mother" point in the episode, Gabrielle had been convinced to love and nurture David, but Charles' would still be out of the picture, so we're getting hints of what it might be like if Gabrielle tried to raise David alone. Also, Gabrielle tells Charles at the end that "things don't make sense when you're not around" and "I can't do this without you."

It's kind of a yucky message for single parents.

I think you're maybe being a bit too literal and missing the broader point within the context of the show intended by the musical number, which, it seems to me, is that well-intended conditioning -could- still inadvertently enable lovely behavior by/outcomes for David. That probably applies to Charles' parenting in addition to Gabrielle's. I don't think the final act of this show is meant to hinge on an evaluative stance taken toward single parent households or whatever.

Key word "could". I'm all for the Good Feelingz of a happy Legion ending, but at the same time it would be weird if that wasn't packaged alongside an at least lukewarm chance that all these ostensibly good things are really just belying the sad, near inevitability of David's reality (shown amongst other ways by S02E06, as well as the fact that the series opens and closes with the same shot).

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 18, 2019

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Wow that ending. Totally agree that Switch should have acknowledged Cary/Kerry. It was a jerk move not to.
So Farouk is like ‘oh I have empathy now....? Does that go anywhere?
Would have liked just a glimpse of the new reality. Maybe Xavier meeting Lenny at the institute.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I think the main point was that a child who grows up in a healthy environment with proper support is likely to turn out different than one who does not. Something that sortof bothered me was the belief that certain people were beyond redemption or saving like Syd's sister in her second childhood or David, I think it's a fair stance to take and might be true but I can't accept that personally.

I'm with those that would have enjoyed seeing a glimpse of the new timeline but am fine with them ending it the way they did. I also agree that it felt like an oversight for Switch to not mention the Loudermilks. One justification I came up with is that they had led fulfilling lives and were content.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Did anybody else get the impression that David's mom had some kind of latent banshee-esque psychic power of her own? There was one time she yelled STOP and everything got all red and poo poo.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Corte posted:

Something that sortof bothered me was the belief that certain people were beyond redemption or saving like Syd's sister in her second childhood or David, I think it's a fair stance to take and might be true but I can't accept that personally.

It wasn't that they were beyond redemption, but rather didn't want to be saved. That could change in the future but it's impossible to save someone who doesn't want it.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

HardKase posted:

It wasn't that they were beyond redemption, but rather didn't want to be saved. That could change in the future but it's impossible to save someone who doesn't want it.

I appreciate your perspective and that's definitely a better way to look at it but I'm pretty sure they specifically state at some point that David can't be saved.

I'm going back through season one now and I have to admit it does feel tonally different, you can argue that of course the tone will change over the course of a show but it's a pretty stark contrast. I had almost forgotten how sweet and endearing it could be at times, really enjoying watching the romance between Syd and David unfold again.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Sorry if I've missed something obvious: How is Syd so sure she'll do so well if time reverts to her pre-2nd childhood? She's still likely to be messed up by her early life, although I'll guess having Melanie and Oliver together at Summerland would be great.

(Are they still gonna be traumatised by The Eye and the rest of the Section goons)

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Chubby Henparty posted:

Sorry if I've missed something obvious: How is Syd so sure she'll do so well if time reverts to her pre-2nd childhood? She's still likely to be messed up by her early life, although I'll guess having Melanie and Oliver together at Summerland would be great.

(Are they still gonna be traumatised by The Eye and the rest of the Section goons)

Switch told her

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Fair enough.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Corte posted:

I appreciate your perspective and that's definitely a better way to look at it but I'm pretty sure they specifically state at some point that David can't be saved.

It is a kind of odd perspective Syd takes that David is going to end the world and needs to turn himself in, since by the end of the show it's shown that he is the one that gets rid of himself, far from ending the world. I guess the "us and them" Melanie comment shows her he's a victim too or something.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
[quote="Corte" post="497604364"]
I think the main point was that a child who grows up in a healthy environment with proper support is likely to turn out different than one who does not.

Nothing about "Mother" implies this is going to be a healthy environment though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Norwegian Rudo posted:

[quote="Corte" post="497604364"]
I think the main point was that a child who grows up in a healthy environment with proper support is likely to turn out different than one who does not.

Nothing about "Mother" implies this is going to be a healthy environment though.

Mother implies the kind of environment David would grow up in if his mother was the only one around. That is why it is important that Xavier also sticks around.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

night slime posted:

since by the end of the show it's shown that he is the one that gets rid of himself, far from ending the world

But that's exactly what he does by changing time - he ends the world.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so was david huffing his own blue/red fumes as a drug from the very beginning

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

so was david huffing his own blue/red fumes as a drug from the very beginning

Yeah. I was going to be snarky about this but it actually kind of works -- he was buying into his own delusions from the start.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah. I was going to be snarky about this but it actually kind of works -- he was buying into his own delusions from the start.

Yeah the power of delusions is prob the biggest thematic point and ties all 3 seasons together more than anything else.

Btw, just caught up with the last four episodes. gently caress that took me thru a journey. I'm worn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Finally caught up and finished. What a good loving season and the time eaters were great. Farouk becoming a cool dude was a nice moment and it made me happy cause the actor hit it out of the loving park and he made you feel it.