Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1163827025066496002
Doesn't Peston get tired of being wrong all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

Peston will believe anything if it means the UK stays in all of the current international organisations that its currently in.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

OwlFancier posted:

:agreed:

If we could all separate the bourgeoisie from their capital by calling them worthless little spunk nuggets we could do so much good.

... The weirdest communist utopia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey look the science of dialectical materialism is always adapting to changes in the material conditions of the time and I'm afraid that the synthesis is horny capitalists throwing money at women to get insulted sorry that's just what the revolution looks like.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

WhatEvil posted:

The crisp enjoyer has logged on.
Happy birthday mate, thanks for the info & enjoy the crisps :)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jabby posted:

"I don't think the EU will get rid of the backstop and the EU says they won't get rid of the backstop, but the government says that actually they will get rid of it after all"

like how incredibly dumb do you have to be to write that down and then still decide to tweet it out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's amazing what a mess Western intervention can create, isn't it?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm reasonably certain Peston didn't write that.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Borrovan posted:

Happy birthday mate, thanks for the info & enjoy the crisps :)

Thanks bud, will do!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

"I don't think the EU will get rid of the backstop and the EU says they won't get rid of the backstop, but the government says that actually they will get rid of it after all"

like how incredibly dumb do you have to be to write that down and then still decide to tweet it out

Peston has certainly been the most credulous and outright loving wrong major journalist I've seen recently.

I mean it's only a few days since he was saying Corbyn was on the ropes over Brexit and his latest offer of a unity government would horribly backfire.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Is it only recently Peston's gone nuts? I seem to remember thinking he was mostly smart/sensible only a few months ago.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

He used to write about the economy rather than politics didn't he?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Borrovan posted:

Cool, no more interest payments on loans!

<reminiscence>
Just 'expected profit/return on investment' instead. In Egypt almost everyone with any money in the bank is getting mega interest. Never mind sharia law!

And during the Egyptian revolution, before the fall of Mubarak, Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State could be seen on tv literally screaming in a near-hysterical voice: "The Egyptian Government is Strong and Stable". Erm... it wasn't.

https://www.reuters.com/article/ozatp-egypt-protest-clinton-idAFJOE70O0KF20110125

</reminiscence>

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dead Goon posted:

Farmers, a bunch of cunts.

I used to work with a farmer - he needed the second job because farming makes you gently caress all money. Apparently, tractors appearing on the roads at rush hour to piss everyone off is deliberate and again, farmers are cunts.

I used to work (I used to work a lot), with the daughter of a fisherman, who told her to vote Leave, which she did unquestionably. Fishermen hosed, oh no how did that happen?

gently caress off.

Sri Lanka and India constantly - CONSTANTLY - arrest each other's fishermen and basically engage in prisoner exchanges.

I look forward to hundreds of Englishmen rotting in Dutch prisons, playing xbox and eating the first decent food in their lives.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Weird how all these nerds want strong and stable government but nationalizing poo poo to end constant price increases is terrible.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

It's amazing what a mess Western intervention can create, isn't it?

Especially when it's preceded by a Soviet-backed coup establishing a totalitarian regime.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 20, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

feedmegin posted:

He used to write about the economy rather than politics didn't he?

Yeah he was specifically an economics reporter for a long time before deciding he wanted to be wrong about politics in general.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ah OK that must be it then. Yeah I'm sure he was alright on economics.

In other news, lol:

https://twitter.com/Asim08535742/status/1163799967884075010?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
James, Cleverly making statements on camera then backtracking.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aumanor posted:

Especially when it's preceded by a Soviet-backed coup establishing a totalitarian regime.

I would argue that Soviet-backed Afghanistan was both much less totalitarian and more socially liberal than the Taliban, tbh.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Anyone who wants some different crisp flavours should wander to their local Polski Sklep - baffling array!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

WhatEvil posted:

In other news, lol:

Maybe this will be the thing that kills the Tory majority

Lol no of course it won't they only fire Labour MPs for traffic violations.

E: I know she was fired for lying in court but I'd be stunned if it even gets far enough for that.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 20, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

njsykora posted:

Yeah he was specifically an economics reporter for a long time before deciding he wanted to be wrong about politics in general.

The 2008 crash broke him out of blinkered liberalism so he floated around asking why people were unhappy with the world which made him start asking the right questions even if he wasn't getting to the right answers and so he was one of the few mainstream journalists to view Corbyn as a good bet for leader and for the right reasons when the election happened.

Unfortunately the referendum did then break his brain and he's just spouting out all kinds of nonsense and fantasy about the EU and NATO as absolutely essential components of British society and so he's steadily gotten wronger and wronger again.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

I would argue that Soviet-backed Afghanistan was both much less totalitarian and more socially liberal than the Taliban, tbh.

Yeah talking to some of the soviet-era refugees (who, along with Vietnamese, Greek and Yugoslavian ones, were reasonably common growing up in a formerly iron curtain country) it sounds like it was a relatively decent time compared to later.

e: Of course these days my former classmate is getting hate mail calling her a wahhabi terrorist, despite her father having to leave afghanistan due to not being a strict enough muslim. Though to be fair she's an occassional columnist for the biggest national newspaper, so it's not entirely unexpected.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 20, 2019

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Is it only recently Peston's gone nuts? I seem to remember thinking he was mostly smart/sensible only a few months ago.

I feel like he just has really poo poo sources that constantly tell him how great things are going, and he always believes them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

quote != edit

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 20, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

WhatEvil posted:

In other news, lol:

What a stupid stupid STUPID loving place for the oval office to stand too. You can see the car on the inside lane having to veer over as a result, so loving stupid.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So I've possibly got a job as a contractor meaning I either need to setup my own company or use an umbrella company. What involved in the stuff I'd need to handle myself like NI contributions if buy a company for it? I'd quite like a costco card

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jose posted:

So I've possibly got a job as a contractor meaning I either need to setup my own company or use an umbrella company. What involved in the stuff I'd need to handle myself like NI contributions if buy a company for it? I'd quite like a costco card

I'm working independently atm, not much is involved when its just you, you need to inform HMRC you're self employed, check self-assessments and VAT requirements. Make sure you keep a record of every expense.

HMRC were really helpful.

We're in different fields, but its probably similar to some degree.

Make sure you are truely self-employed as well, so its not just the company fobbing off your employment rights. The two questions are; do you choose where and when you work? and do you choose how you are paid for work?

As for setting up a business, I can't help other than saying that https://www.pegme.co.uk seems to be available.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Can't you just be a sole trader? That's what I use for my self-publishing stuff. I just registered on the HMRC website as a sole trader under my own name, and that was it really. I paid an accountant to file my taxes for me, but I could have probably done it myself because my expenses were really simple.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ratjaculation posted:

What a stupid stupid STUPID loving place for the oval office to stand too. You can see the car on the inside lane having to veer over as a result, so loving stupid.

I think you'll find that he actually can't be "loving stupid" because his name is Cleverly which means he's very wise.

Jose posted:

Is it one of those total loving scams? They suck.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

forkboy84 posted:

I mean in the end it's selling labour to capital so yeah

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I think you'll find that he actually can't be "loving stupid" because his name is Cleverly which means he's very wise.

i will ultimately be working for a fairly major company and it pays way more than call centre work would so i'm not going to complain but i will keep applying to jobs i actually wnat to do

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Oh, the joy of IR35! If you are private sector you don't have to worry about that until april next year, but if you are doing government work you do jave to worry.

You can setup your own company (call it ukmt ltd), then have the company employing you pay that like they were paying Dell or bnp.

Once you have the money you can either be a dodgy oval office and not pay your taxes, or you get an accountant and pay them to sort it all for you, or you can do it yourself if you're feeling brave.

Using an umbrella company is sort of like using an accountant as they should do all your taxes for you but at a cost.

And you are totes a hidden employee but there is gently caress all you can do until next year as it's still too easy just to pay you double and not have to worry about paying your pension.

Don't forget to pay into a pension!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

HMRC's Basic Tools should be fine for doing PAYE and NIC for a single person if you go down the limited company route, but you have to file poo poo with Companies House.

Or you could just be an unlimited company, you still have to register and pay taxes but you don't have to file annual accounts.

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean in the end it's selling labour to capital so yeah
:respek:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well I'd like a costco card and the umbrella companies take a pretty loving huge cut that i can't imagine an accountant would get anywhere near. Idk how much stuff i need to keep to hand but if I can get my driving to/from work covered as an expense that is also another thing worth making a limited company for

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jose posted:

well I'd like a costco card

Marry someone who works in an eligible field (education works) and get a non-business one is my advice. Great for stocking up for Brexit!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Here's my guide to short term bogus self employment:

Step 1: cash the cheques, don't make a fuss
Step 2: find a job you actually want
Step 3: sue the gently caress out of them for every single penny of holiday pay & statutory sick pay from the whole time you were there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Jihadi chat:

Margaret Thatcher tells Mujahideen that the hearts of the free world are with them in 1981 (while bunging them £2m)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arPP37g1Rmo