Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Yotsuba!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is cramming being full of snacks? Tune in next week to find out!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

D. Ebdrup posted:

Is cramming being full of snacks? Tune in next week to find out!
In a way! :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Fuuka is so brave

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://mangadex.org/title/38878/little-ken-and-a-cat-sometimes-a-duck

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Dagashi Kashi ended, with a basically status quo ending.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Coward.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll pretend the ending of dagashi kashi is the doujin where hotaru and saya make out a bunch and then the author says "i forgot there were characters other than hotaru and saya" at the end

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
office lady part-timer can be there too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope the author is able to start up a new series soon, I like their art style.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I do wonder why, when the author had a whole year and a half to not do that, and that kind of ending is typically reserved for anime when it's an adaptation?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Colonel posted:

i'll pretend the ending of dagashi kashi is the doujin where hotaru and saya make out a bunch and then the author says "i forgot there were characters other than hotaru and saya" at the end

Gonna need a link to this, and I'm too scared to google "Dagashi kashi doujinshi", for I think obvious reasons.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

DrSunshine posted:

Gonna need a link to this, and I'm too scared to google "Dagashi kashi doujinshi", for I think obvious reasons.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't bully Dr. Sunshine. Many goons have a terminal case of the "goddamn, when is Mousou Telepathy coming back? :(". Doc just has it worse than most.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It is truly a terrible burden to bear.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

"Double-posting" to point out that Hidamari Sketch has a chronological order, and since I'm in need of a good iyashikei and it's been a while since I've watched this series, I figure I'll rewatch it to get a bit of a different perspective on it.
Not that I expect the perspective to be earth-shattering, or anything - given what it is - but there is at least a little bit of character development that I think might stand out better if it's watched chronologically?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
boy, that last panel of the latest Watamote could mean a whole bunch of things. Many of them...suspicious.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Going full love triangle I see

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Can anyone recommend some nice and funny and cool manga or anime with the best reaction faces?

SCHOOL RUMBLE

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Can anyone recommend some nice and funny and cool manga or anime with the best reaction faces?

I just finished Hitoribocchi and Futari Monologue and am hungry for more in the same vein.
Jitsu wa Watashi wa / My Monster Secret is also pretty good for reaction faces

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my monster secret is in my top 3 favorite romcoms, it's extremely good and ends very well

shame about the author's next series though

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'll slap in my two cents as someone who worked on Jitsu, it's amazing and everyone should read it. DO NOT WATCH THE ANIME THOUGH. Maybe I'm biased.

For some new blood in this thread, here's something I discovered recently - Sleepy Barmaid. If you're lucky you can find the master bartender, Yuki, and her travelling bar on the streets of Tokyo at night.

Sidebar, I really want a pushcart bar now.

The manga goes through her daily customers and the lengths she'll go through to meddle in their affairs - with a well-timed drink. Beware though, as with all bartenders you have to take her stories of where or when some drink got its name or other tidbits of lore they like to give out with a massive grain of salt. (All bartenders are taught different bits of lore and names and the like, and the vast majority of it is absolute bullshit. Makes good stories though, and that's what keeps people coming back to the bar.)

I really like this one, not only does it have a lot of good drinks in it, it has well-placed feels gut-punches, good humor, and neat art reminiscent of Yoshida Motoi (of Natsu no Zenjitsu and Kannou-sensei.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Yotsuba and Cramming, Part 2, wherein very little cramming is accomplished.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'll slap in my two cents as someone who worked on Jitsu, it's amazing and everyone should read it. DO NOT WATCH THE ANIME THOUGH. Maybe I'm biased.

I’d say you aren’t biased in the slightest. I had the misfortune of watching it first and almost passed up the manga entirely. Not sure what pushed me to give it a chance but I’m really glad I did.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Maybe it was divine intervention?

StandardVC10 posted:

Lookit that girl, she's a ninja.
Ate all the chocolates without anyone seeing!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

For some new blood in this thread, here's something I discovered recently - Sleepy Barmaid. If you're lucky you can find the master bartender, Yuki, and her travelling bar on the streets of Tokyo at night.

This is excellent, thanks!

Also the scanlator put in a steamed hams reference in the arc where the MC goes to rural (upstate) japan and I love it: https://mangadex.org/chapter/703727/8

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

Girl knows her dolphins.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's school trip time for Bocchi!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Bocchi is good and all of the her friends are simultaneously the best :3:

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Watamote 165

That photo at the end. :3:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
big fan of these diamond-tier scans

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

a kitten posted:

Girl knows her dolphins.

Yotsuba - young Jolyne Kujo crossover when.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

The Colonel posted:

big fan of these diamond-tier scans

Yea it sucks. But beggars can't be choosers. World three hasn't updated in a while.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Some of you may remember the Joshiraku anime (and OVA) that was broadcast quite a few years ago now.
Well, in case anyone else like me wasn't paying attention, the manga scanlation finished over a year ago.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I had never heard of this, but will read it now.

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I tried watching the Joshiraku anime after seeing this clip, but I lost interest because half the jokes are specific Japanese culture references that I didn't get at all. I like the ending theme about how great japanese jokes and puns are though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh yeah, Joshiraku is absolutely filled to the brim with references to Japanese culture, history, and language which requires almost dangerous levels of weeb to understand - in that way it's sort of like Lucky Star combined with a bit of Genshiken for a new generation of weebs.
It also contains puns galore, although that's very central to Japanese humor and especially rakugo. And since I'm a paronomasiac, it suits me just fine.

Now I made myself feel old because I remember both of those shows and reading both manga very very early on. orz

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
joshiraku isn't written for western cultural understanding of japan, it's literally a comedy show written to be filled with humor that only people born and raised in japan would get, as opposed to lucky star just having a lot of references to other shows and manga and otherwise functioning fine as a goofy sol comedy

like you can still read/watch and have fun with it but it's not really building on that same kind of base, it's just, an extremely specific japanese comedy

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Since you don't absorb culture, language, and history by osmosis, requiring you to actually be present in Japan is a bit of a stretch - but we definitely agree that a lot of knowledge is required.