Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you want a fun sci-fi action roadtrip anime in the vein of Trigun, or GunXSword, or anything similar, Cannon Busters on Netflix is a good fun watch :munch:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What is a fun action isekai? It seems the last few seasons Isekai popularity keeps growing but there is so many to choose from.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

What is a fun action isekai? It seems the last few seasons Isekai popularity keeps growing but there is so many to choose from.
it's not 'real' isekai since theyre jsut willingly playing an mmo but the gun gale online spinoff of sword art online is pretty good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

You know im actually somewhat at a loss for isekai that I'd recommend primarily off the strength of their action

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Knights and Magic had its mech fights.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I don't mind more comedic over action. Is the one from this season where the guy has a hot mom and they both get isekai'd, any good?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*in the voice of the beyblade: let it rip announcer*

Well,

do you wanna see a show about getting insanely horny for the mom a bunch

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ulio posted:

I don't mind more comedic over action. Is the one from this season where the guy has a hot mom and they both get isekai'd, any good?

Ha,ha,ha.

No.

Also I'm gonna throw you a curveball: Monster Rancher

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Monster rancher rules.

Monsters rule.

Monster rancher.

monsters rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSq_mHcmvyc&hd=1

Also you might enjoy that time I got reincarnated as a slime, that's the new hotness

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Konosuba is the standard comedy isekai option. It's very good if you're cool with it being raunchy

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ulio posted:

Tanya the Evil

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wait poo poo isn't overlord the fun action one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the action in what i watched of overlord was a lot of ugly lovely cg

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Ulio posted:

FFXIV:Shadowbringers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

It had moments of levity and fun little asides. The protagonist's largely flying by the seat of his pants and a lot of "uhh... sure. I MEANT to do that" or "Ah ha, you correctly guessed my cunning plan!" around his own minions.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It had moments of levity and fun little asides. The protagonist's largely flying by the seat of his pants and a lot of "uhh... sure. I MEANT to do that" or "Ah ha, you correctly guessed my cunning plan!" around his own minions.

Yeah there's a tiny little seed of a entertaining concept in Overlord that's buried under a mountain of "it is I, the perpetual underdog coming up with brilliant solutions to impossible problems with nothing except my wits, my vast army of fanatically loyal hyper-competent underlings, my god-like magical power, my armory with a lifetime's worth of supernatural WMDs, and my total lack of any kind of moral compunctions whatsoever."

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Rezero?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah there's a tiny little seed of a entertaining concept in Overlord that's buried under a mountain of "it is I, the perpetual underdog coming up with brilliant solutions to impossible problems with nothing except my wits, my vast army of fanatically loyal hyper-competent underlings, my god-like magical power, my armory with a lifetime's worth of supernatural WMDs, and my total lack of any kind of moral compunctions whatsoever."

Not really. He has resources et al, but he has to play cautiously because he has no idea what the world's like or if there are any other Yggdrasil players around. And while he has some basic plans early on, it's Demiurge that starts concocting the real schemes by guessing what he thinks Ainz intends... while Ainz is trying to keep looking like the top dog and one step ahead with a lot of "oh yes, very good, you guessed my plan! Now, uh, keep explaining it..." in case he might lose their loyalty.

When the high-level magic gets brought out, it's usually for a specific purpose rather than just to fawn over Ainz as a power fantasy (save maybe the fight at the end of season 1). Or to remind the audience that he's an EVIL LICH by doing something horrifying.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 20, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I think I saw one episode of Overlord but I didn't like it. Not sure maybe I am misrembering but it seemed serious?

Already saw that and I hate the harem aspect in most isekais which Rezero has. I don't mind a straight harem show like Nisekoi but I hate it when an action or comedy show slowly turns into a surprise harem. Maybe harem is just part of all isekais not sure. One thing I will give credit to Swort Art Online is that at least there it makes sense since the MC is a literal god at that game, many other isekai's the mc is a complete dunce like Subaru in rezero.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Does it? I had the impression that it was a more of a not-really triangle where Subaru has an unrequited crush on a character, and then another one has the same for him.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
subaru has like one character who falls in love with him because he risked his life to save her and everything she loved from being destroyed, and one character he loves who appreciated him as a friend but gets kind of disgusted with his behavior and him claiming that he deserves her unquestioning love and trust for everything he's done and leaves him until he pulls himself back together and acts like a reasonable person again

literally nobody else really cares about subaru in that way

MMania
May 7, 2008
Konosuba and Re:Zero are the only isekai I can think of that (currently) don't have anyone that falls in love with the main character. They're both deconstructions of the genre though, I can't think of a 'straight' isekai that doesn't do that. Maybe Dog Days since it's stuck to just head-petting? Not that I keep up with the half dozen dumpster fires that have been coming out every season, though.

It recently occurred to me that Rayearth and Escaflowne were both proto-isekai, yet they would be pretty refreshing coming out today since they're not "a Japanese dude goes to an elves-and-orcs fantasy land and gets limitless power" stories.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

MMania posted:

Konosuba and Re:Zero are the only isekai I can think of that (currently) don't have anyone that falls in love with the main character. They're both deconstructions of the genre though, I can't think of a 'straight' isekai that doesn't do that. Maybe Dog Days since it's stuck to just head-petting? Not that I keep up with the half dozen dumpster fires that have been coming out every season, though.

It recently occurred to me that Rayearth and Escaflowne were both proto-isekai, yet they would be pretty refreshing coming out today since they're not "a Japanese dude goes to an elves-and-orcs fantasy land and gets limitless power" stories.

Those Who Hunt Elves :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Re:zero has a lot of focus on many female side characters, including a set of maid twins, and while it's not actually a harem at all it's really easy for someone who's already expecting/dreading that that will happen to start seeing it where it isn't actually there.

Similarly, I've seen people complain that it's a furry show, and again while anthro characters are technically in it that's a massive stretch considering the actual content of the show

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'm looking for something grounded, with a bit of actual information/trivia. Shows like Koizumi Loves Ramen, How Heavy Are Your Dumbbells, Dagashi Kashi, and Food Wars. I think Galko-chan would fall under that too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fooley posted:

I'm looking for something grounded, with a bit of actual information/trivia. Shows like Koizumi Loves Ramen, How Heavy Are Your Dumbbells, Dagashi Kashi, and Food Wars. I think Galko-chan would fall under that too.

You want Moyashimon.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Fooley posted:

shirobako

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fooley posted:

Bartender.

Also Yurucamp on the off-chance you missed it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Fooley posted:

The ones above are all excellent (especially Shirobako). I would also add Silver Spoon to the list.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

planning on watching psycho-pass with a friend to catch up for s3, would you guys say the movies are noteworthy or canon enough to watch for that? Or do you guys think they can be ignored? Yes I am presenting this knowing full well that s2 itself was pretty forgettable and not as great as s1.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Futaba Anzu posted:

planning on watching psycho-pass with a friend to catch up for s3, would you guys say the movies are noteworthy or canon enough to watch for that? Or do you guys think they can be ignored? Yes I am presenting this knowing full well that s2 itself was pretty forgettable and not as great as s1.

They're just extended cuts of the first season mashed together, they're not remakes so you're golden there.

Edit: didn't realise there were new films out. Go watch season 1 as well.

Psycho Pass: The Movie is something you should absolutely watch as well, because they brought back the first season's writer for it and it largely ignores season 2's stupidity.

Also, wait, there's a third season coming? :stwoon:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 22, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Is the S2 guy involved in any way with S3 because I need to know if it's going to be real bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fooley posted:

A Place Further Than The Universe

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RabidWeasel posted:

Is the S2 guy involved in any way with S3 because I need to know if it's going to be real bad

Only the director seems to be known, they haven't stated who is writing it. Come onnnn Gen...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tow ubukata is pretty cool, he wrote le chevalier d'eon which is a good anime. id chalk the issues with s2 more up to A) season 2 being kind of unnecessary B) the production committee clearly wanting a season that allowed for more marketing of the surprisingly popular characters via individual character focus episodes rather than a more plot heavy season, and C) him being brought in to a series he didnt create and had no involvement in previously with only these directives in mind.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fooley posted:

Gonna strongly reiterate both Yurucamp and A Place Further Than The Universe.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
S2 of Psycho Pass was redeemed by Akane being a really badass character imo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fooley posted:

Hajime no Ippo. Shirobako. Joshiraku. March Comes in Like a Lion. Usagi Drop.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Does Usagi Drop's anime change the ending? If not it's pretty drat rude to recommend to people without giving a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yes cause it ends earlier