Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

marvel's ceo is a huge mouthbreather that is a mar a lago member and one of three unqualified dudes that advises trump on the VA.

Oh, he's that close to trump, huh.

I'm sure having all media controlled by like 2 companies is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grondoth posted:

Oh, he's that close to trump, huh.

I'm sure having all media controlled by like 2 companies is fine

https://youtu.be/nh6Hf5_ZYPI

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/johncornyn/status/1099704915956559872?lang=en

So yeah I guess we're not pretending anymore.

Though I hear those ideas tend to end with some uhhh hanging out

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://twitter.com/johncornyn/status/1099704915956559872?lang=en

So yeah I guess we're not pretending anymore.

Though I hear those ideas tend to end with some uhhh hanging out

eh, considering the quote is specifically about restricting ~~individual freedom~~ my guess is he's just pulling the ol' "the left are the real fascists" routine

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ah yes, the party of individual freedom: Modern Conservatives

:laugh:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There's absolutely nothing they love more than the opportunity to prove their dedication to personal freedom by bravely standing up for it even when it doesn't conform to a corporate profit motive and/or doesn't dovetail with their own ideological frame such as.....uhhh.......suuuuuch assssss....................um

can I get back to you?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
To be completely honest I think a hatred of individual freedoms they don't approve of is pretty much the defining aspect of conservatism in America right now. It's their favorite hobby, the moneyed interests love leaning on it to get what they want and it's maybe the only thing holding together all wings of the GOP.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's absolutely nothing they love more than the opportunity to prove their dedication to personal freedom by bravely standing up for it even when it doesn't conform to a corporate profit motive and/or doesn't dovetail with their own ideological frame such as.....uhhh.......suuuuuch assssss....................um

can I get back to you?
Yeah, you can pretty much guarantee that any time a conservative is talking about "personal freedom" they mean their right to own guns and/or be racist

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

pookel posted:

Yeah, you can pretty much guarantee that any time a conservative is talking about "personal freedom" they mean their right to own guns and/or be racist

Hey that's not true and deeply offensive!

Sometimes it's about being sexist or homophobic.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lets be honest, they're really into property rights too

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm guessing in this particular case Cornyn was talking about gun control. But it'd be a good tweet to save for quoting at chuds any time they talk about cops or prisons.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

Lets be honest, they're really into property rights too

yup, it's the very foundation of the rest of their insane bullshit

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

pookel posted:

I'm guessing in this particular case Cornyn was talking about gun control. But it'd be a good tweet to save for quoting at chuds any time they talk about cops or prisons.

Or voting registration

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

even ignoring how cons don't give a poo poo about individual liberty when it comes to gay people, abortion, etc. the fact that they consider themselves people who support individualism doesn't even make sense within their own framework. they support things like police, border patrol, military, and they also enforce people in their group to adhere to certain values.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

even ignoring how cons don't give a poo poo about individual liberty when it comes to gay people, abortion, etc. the fact that they consider themselves people who support individualism doesn't even make sense within their own framework. they support things like police, border patrol, military, and they also enforce people in their group to adhere to certain values.

they haven't pitched that as part of their platform since Dubbya, anybody who still associates an emphasis on individual liberty that isn't "let rich white Christians create a theocracy" with conservatism is totally out of touch and just making up fanfic to justify to themselves voting for mild gains at best for themselves even if it means millions die

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

a core conservative tenant is thinking of yourself as the noble underdog freedom fighter despite, yknow, licking boots whenever possible

it's why they are constantly under siege by imaginary threats, if the anger ever stops people might start thinking and we can't have that

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

To be completely honest I think a hatred of individual freedoms they don't approve of is pretty much the defining aspect of conservatism in America right now. It's their favorite hobby, the moneyed interests love leaning on it to get what they want and it's maybe the only thing holding together all wings of the GOP.

Yeah, but the weird thing is they feel like they need their hatred to be justified in a "turnabout is fair play" way. They need their enemies to be doing it first to make it okay, even if they have to dive into incredibly schizophrenic interpretations of reality to find their justifications.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sleeptalker posted:

Yeah, but the weird thing is they feel like they need their hatred to be justified in a "turnabout is fair play" way. They need their enemies to be doing it first to make it okay, even if they have to dive into incredibly schizophrenic interpretations of reality to find their justifications.

it's a result of learning historic lessons but not the meaning behind them

i.e they know "racism is bad" but not what racism actually is

so they learned "attacking in self-defense is fine" and proceeded to try to invent reasons to pre-emptively attack in self-defense

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Aug 20, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

they're basically the party of "might makes right", applied so selectively as to defy belief. It shouldn't come as any kind of surprise that the entire modern conservative project crystallized around a hodge podge of every single reason they could think of in the 70's to bring back segregation

whenever I pick somebody out as a hopeless idpol chud and I just want to make them mad before bailing, I usually bring up the native genocide, then they say might makes right, then I say that they should stop bitching about taxes and regulations then because the government is mightier and can impose its will on you by the grace of God and the natural order

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

sleeptalker posted:

When there is no coherent ideology to argue from (or you're afraid to reveal what that ideology is), whataboutism is all you have

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Yinlock posted:

a core conservative tenant is thinking of yourself as the noble underdog freedom fighter despite, yknow, licking boots whenever possible

it's why they are constantly under siege by imaginary threats, if the anger ever stops people might start thinking and we can't have that

:umberto:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/truthout/status/1163826182216982533

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
accurate journalism about what's going down in portland.........what the gently caress!?!?!??!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

accurate journalism about what's going down in portland.........what the gently caress!?!?!??!
yeah... pretty weird!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
cursed tweet
https://twitter.com/joerogan/status/1163864272285290496

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I remember seeing stuff like this after cville too, and it always amuses me that the anarchists are able to set up a broad front of "combined arms" working in concert and the fash are all undisciplined and disorderly

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Its like a three layered turd

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Remember when gulags were a thing

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lotta hot takes in those replies

https://twitter.com/kateinva/status/1163885083335565319?s=19

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
On the Andy Ngo episode of the Joe Rogan Podcast one of the first things he asks Andy is how's his brain injury thing, Andy tries talking his usual story about how bad it was and Joe, someone pretty familiar with head trauma via punches is like "That doesn't sound right, they let you out of the hospital in less than 24 hours?" then they both realize what they're walking into and quickly change the subject lmfaoooo

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

I remember seeing stuff like this after cville too, and it always amuses me that the anarchists are able to set up a broad front of "combined arms" working in concert and the fash are all undisciplined and disorderly

It's amusing but not all that surprising. The fash can be rowdy and unorganized because they're the bratty, favored child of the police who even get the benefit of the doubt from breadtube if their agent provocateurs catch a shiner, where-as antifa and anarchists have to run a very tight ship because they're going to be under a million media microscopes and in the sights of every itchy trigger-finger on the force whenever they so much as sneeze.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/kateinva/status/1163914037710770178

oh god it's one of the few "what trump ACTUALLY meant was" people left

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Epic High Five posted:

anybody who still associates an emphasis on individual liberty that isn't "let rich white Christians create a theocracy" with conservatism is totally out of touch

yea but it was a john cornyn tweet, so this concedes my point twice over

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Yinlock posted:

https://twitter.com/kateinva/status/1163914037710770178

oh god it's one of the few "what trump ACTUALLY meant was" people left

another scott adams sockpuppet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

despite what people for whom leftism is declaring yourself a communist and listening to podcasts as your primary political activity, anarchism does not mean "completely opposed to any kind of organization whatsoever"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
no I’m pretty sure it’s building a state but like pretending it’s something else while being insanely smug about it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i look forward to your podcast

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Intel&Sebastian posted:

On the Andy Ngo episode of the Joe Rogan Podcast one of the first things he asks Andy is how's his brain injury thing, Andy tries talking his usual story about how bad it was and Joe, someone pretty familiar with head trauma via punches is like "That doesn't sound right, they let you out of the hospital in less than 24 hours?" then they both realize what they're walking into and quickly change the subject lmfaoooo
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Al! posted:

i look forward to your podcast

it’s not a podcast it’s a webisode.

You would like podcasts.