Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Gunder posted:

Do you guys think the Shield Dome (18pts) on the Impulsor is going to be worth taking? Would a transport benefit from a 4+ invuln. save?

If you are already taking one, tremendously. At T7 with 11W killing it with small arms fire is going to be miserable, and blunting the anti-tank fire that is the current bane of most Marine vehicles is Very Good. It's a big fat tough vehicle that can jam up fire and assault lanes, and also get your mans from point A to point B very effectively. It's not gonna kill anything, but if you want that take a Repulsor and pony up the extra points.

edit: top of page, have a sergeant from last week

nite_moogle fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cage Kicker posted:

Seriously, if you're about to play and your opponent won't let you run your marines as Dark Angels because they're painted like Salamanders, that's not a person worth Hamming with.

I don’t really care what rules people use for their home brew successor, but unless you’re just trying out the Dark Angels rules, you should play your Salamanders as Salamanders. Otherwise why did you paint them that way?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Endman posted:

I don’t really care what rules people use for their home brew successor, but unless you’re just trying out the Dark Angels rules, you should play your Salamanders as Salamanders. Otherwise why did you paint them that way?

Excuse me sir these necrons are counts as tau and you need to respect that.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Endman posted:

Because you thought Salamanders were cool in the lore and painstaking painted a whole rear end army before you played the game only to find out their rules are not fun but you actually like how Dark Angels play. I'm not gonna make that dude strip and repaint his whole army just so he can have fun playing.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

painstaking painted a whole rear end army before you played the game

This has never happened

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
"Because you liked bright green more than dark green, you should be forced to spend an extra thousand dollars and 100 hours of painting to play 'marines that like plasma' against me."

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

tallkidwithglasses posted:

This has never happened

I beg to differ!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

dexefiend posted:

I beg to differ!

How many points did you paint before ever playing a game.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

mango sentinel posted:

Because you thought Salamanders were cool in the lore and painstaking painted a whole rear end army before you played the game only to find out their rules are not fun but you actually like how Dark Angels play. I'm not gonna make that dude strip and repaint his whole army just so he can have fun playing.

Presumably the character of the rules are based on the lore, so this argument makes no sense. If you cared about Salamanders in the lore so much you’d probably want to use their unique stratagems and not the ones designed to make you feel like you’re playing Dark Angels?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think the only unpainted thing I had back when I bothered playing was an IG Commander. And even that was a stand in because I hadn't found or built a cool enough one to use. Army size was like 1200 to 1500 points in this case.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Floppychop posted:

I've never been one to do my own special chapters.

Nothing against people that do, it's just not my jam.

I like the idea of doing it as a community type event, like the Chapter challenge

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

I think the only unpainted thing I had back when I bothered playing was an IG Commander. And even that was a stand in because I hadn't found or built a cool enough one to use.

Did you paint a full 2000 points before ever playing a game.

Edit: lmao good job editing your post dude, I think you just made my point.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 20, 2019

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

mango sentinel posted:

painstaking painted a whole rear end army before you played the game

This is my standard operating procedure :unsmigghh:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ghazk posted:

This is my standard operating procedure :unsmigghh:

Yeah but it takes you like an afternoon, so

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Endman posted:

Presumably the character of the rules are based on the lore, so this argument makes no sense. If you cared about Salamanders in the lore so much you’d probably want to use their unique stratagems and not the ones designed to make you feel like you’re playing Dark Angels?

Just because you think flamers sound really cool in a book doesn't actually mean you are actually gonna enjoy playing an army where like have the dudes have an 8 inch threat range.

Just because you like how a character looks in a fighting game doesn't mean you're gonna like how they play.

I'm not saying you should let his Salamanders count as Drukhari, but theres a whole bullshit rainbow of Space Marines and I don't think people should be locked in just because they painted their army a canon color. Your attitude is just encouraging people to play unpainted grey plastic so you can't fault them for deciding to change armies.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Did you paint a full 2000 points before ever playing a game.

I did with my Admech army painted in the Mars scheme. If I decided to play them as Stygies instead of Mars, and someone gave me poo poo about a non-cannon paint scheme, you best bet I'd walk right out of that game.

IMO, as long as you have the right models, who cares what colors they are painted. Your opponent painted their models for themselves, not for you.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Just because you think flamers sound really cool in a book doesn't actually mean you are actually gonna enjoy playing an army where like have the dudes have an 8 inch threat range.

Just because you like how a character looks in a fighting game doesn't mean you're gonna like how they play.

I'm not saying you should let his Salamanders count as Drukhari, but theres a whole bullshit rainbow of Space Marines and I don't think people should be locked in just because they painted their army a canon color. Your attitude is just encouraging people to play unpainted grey plastic so you can't fault them for deciding to change armies.

Do you really think people wait until they have full sized, fully painted armies before they begin playing games.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
why should army color affect how i must play a game?

I am approaching 6235 points of painted Howling Griffons, and I haven't played a game of 40k since 2003.

I have never played a game as a Space Marine player.

Edit: I intend to play. I will play games at Adepticon. The majority of this painting spree has really just been over the past couple months.
Image link: https://i.imgur.com/zvyV5F1.jpg

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 20, 2019

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

dexefiend posted:

why should army color affect how i must play a game?

I am approaching 6235 points of painted Howling Griffons, and I haven't played a game of 40k since 2003.

I have never played a game as a Space Marine player.

Why does it matter to you if you don’t actually play?

Endman
May 18, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Look, if this incredibly specific and extremely not fake example is true, that person deserves to be forever punished for painting a whole army of Salamanders when they don’t like how flamers work.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

what kind of WAACer takes the field with unpainted miniatures

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
This seems to be a fundamental viewpoint to both our groups.

One group thinks you should only be able to play Ultramarines if you have blue space marine models.

The other group believes that you should be able to play your space marine army how you like.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
If your relics aren't modelled I'm out

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

dexefiend posted:

This seems to be a fundamental viewpoint to both our groups.

One group thinks you should only be able to play Ultramarines if you have blue space marine models.

The other group believes that you should be able to play your space marine army how you like.

I’m actually 100% fine with counts as whatever as long as you explain it ahead of time, it’s just that “this person has absolutely no inkling of how this army might possibly play and managed to paint an entire loving army before rolling a die” is the smoothest brained take I’ve heard in a while.

Just cop to the fact you want to use the good rules in order to win, it’s fine, everyone does it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This will all make sense once y'all realize that tkwg plays Salamanders AND Dark Angels. :ssh:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

This will all make sense once y'all realize that tkwg plays Salamanders AND Dark Angels. :ssh:

They’re all counts as 1k sons, Vulkan is Magnus.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Flamers have never been good, right? I haven't played since 4.5 and even I can tell they just look like bad bolters from the statline that came in a box of mans i picked up for parts.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

loving rumbled

Endman
May 18, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Flamers have never been good, right? I haven't played since 4.5 and even I can tell they just look like bad bolters from the statline that came in a box of mans i picked up for parts.

Flamers were great when we had templates. :colbert:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am smooth brained as gently caress.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

dexefiend posted:

I am smooth brained as gently caress.

Cool, you can run them as Blood Angels and Imperial Fists.

(Nice work Fred Reed would be proud)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I suddenly need to a pot of Mordant Earth.
And then figure out which models I should use the Frozen Methane one for.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
My opinion on the colour scheme thing is that I would never refuse to play a game for that alone, i would mildly judge them for it but as long it is clear what they are doing who cares.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I can’t remember the current rule: if a unit is in the index and in the codex, are you required to use the codex entry or can you choose which one you want to use?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have terrible unfinished model syndrome so I don't play much because I'm ashamed. I'm working on it though. Played more 40k this year than in my entire life I think. Often with primed or three colour models.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If they’re not good, add more until they become ‘ridiculous’

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

I can’t remember the current rule: if a unit is in the index and in the codex, are you required to use the codex entry or can you choose which one you want to use?

If it's in the codex you have to use that, but if the Index has a wargear option for that unit that isn't in the codex, you can use that option from the Index.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OhDearGodNo posted:

Edit: Welp

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks for the answer and flowchart, definitely helps when I have 3 books to work with.

e: still not sure if a bike counts as war gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OhDearGodNo posted:

e: still not sure if a bike counts as war gear.

Edit: If the unit entry is 'Dude on Bike' then no

if the entry is 'Dude' and has "May take a Bike for X" then yes

Yeast fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 20, 2019