Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DontMindMe posted:

Any tips for starting out in NGU? EXP priority and such? Things 1000% worth getting from sellout shop?

Currently pushing towards beating boss 37 to unlock more stuff (waiting on augmentations)

EDIT: I already fell for the mystery prize trap

If there's one thing from the AP shop I consider a must-buy it's the Improved Loot Filter

so worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

GrossMurpel posted:

If your goal is dying faster, why not go full DPS? :thunk:
Still would like for someone to properly try armor vs full HP tanking at this stage.

I just reached Prestige level 2, so I don't even have a 5th yet. But full armor tank has been more consistent in getting higher floors/more XP per run. If something is strong enough to break the armor and kill, it was going to kill anyway with HP tank. If I can get to a point where I'm able to hit level 1000 in reasonable time, I'm already planning to compare a couple variations of setups

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Slickdrac posted:

I just reached Prestige level 2, so I don't even have a 5th yet. But full armor tank has been more consistent in getting higher floors/more XP per run. If something is strong enough to break the armor and kill, it was going to kill anyway with HP tank. If I can get to a point where I'm able to hit level 1000 in reasonable time, I'm already planning to compare a couple variations of setups
Well, this is enough endorsement for me, I'll try it.

(also the reason I don't go full dps is beacuse you need some kind of tank, in case that wasn't really sarcasm)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well, this is enough endorsement for me, I'll try it.

(also the reason I don't go full dps is beacuse you need some kind of tank, in case that wasn't really sarcasm)

I'm not even sure you do need one, really.

Slickdrac posted:

Not sure that's true about the tank definitely dying either way, when I had equal armor and health upgrade levels, a full armor tank had like 1/10 as much defensive power as a full HP one. Plus, if the tank dies either way, why go armor? Without it, you can disregard another upgrade.

I've run into a new, way cooler problem though: The floor skip putting me at <my highest floor> - 1, which means I almost immediately die without getting any XP off that floor, and not getting any XP for the previous 2 floors either cause I skipped them.
Neat.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Boy the world collider is a real pain in the rear end to build. I want to get those sweet sweet fancy races though. I'm finally doing an antid run (the knowledge trait suuuuuuucks) and don't remember what I should be heading for for the next one. I guess I could do genetic disaster but I feel like I should get more phage + phage storage first.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm not even sure you do need one, really.

Not sure that's true about the tank definitely dying either way, when I had equal armor and health upgrade levels, a full armor tank had like 1/10 as much defensive power as a full HP one. Plus,if the tank dies either way, why go armor? Without it, you can disregard another upgrade.

I've run into a new, way cooler problem though: The floor skip putting me at <my highest floor> - 1, which means I almost immediately die without getting any XP off that floor, and not getting any XP for the previous 2 floors either cause I skipped them.
Neat.

You're facing the same damage output whether it's 1 enemy or 6. But with 6, unless you already have 5/6 units, you're definitely taking hits. Having armor means if you get a spawn of 5/6, you can mitigate most or all the damage and make it past a floor you wouldn't otherwise.

In the course of responding, a perfect example came up

This took 5 or 6 rounds to go through, and they got off about 20 attacks. That's over 60K damage in total. HP tank would have only about 30K. If they had been 3 enemies, The damage output would have been even more brutal, but Armor tank would still hold out. HP tank would have been dead before even 1 was killed. If it were 1 or 2 enemies, doesn't matter if it were HP or Armor, dead either way.

HP tank is absolutely viable, don't get me wrong. But just based on experimenting between full HP and full armor tank, the armor tank is maybe 10-20% better overall. Even being able to hold out for 1/2 extra kills at your reasonable peak is MASSIVE with the ludicrous scaling and range of enemy strength due to the RNG of quantities in this game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Slickdrac posted:

You're facing the same damage output whether it's 1 enemy or 6. But with 6, unless you already have 5/6 units, you're definitely taking hits. Having armor means if you get a spawn of 5/6, you can mitigate most or all the damage and make it past a floor you wouldn't otherwise.

In the course of responding, a perfect example came up

This took 5 or 6 rounds to go through, and they got off about 20 attacks. That's over 60K damage in total. HP tank would have only about 30K. If they had been 3 enemies, The damage output would have been even more brutal, but Armor tank would still hold out. HP tank would have been dead before even 1 was killed. If it were 1 or 2 enemies, doesn't matter if it were HP or Armor, dead either way.

HP tank is absolutely viable, don't get me wrong. But just based on experimenting between full HP and full armor tank, the armor tank is maybe 10-20% better overall. Even being able to hold out for 1/2 extra kills at your reasonable peak is MASSIVE with the ludicrous scaling in this game.

Later on, you shoot through floors so fast that 5 or 6 rounds trying to beat a floor is an incredible amount of wasted time. Also, that floor is so far away from your maximum floor it's barely worth the effort either way.
I still think armor is pointless because you have to put PP into it to keep it up to date, but you do you.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

NGU:

Need some advice on what my next goal/power spike is to be. I spent last week farming to kill UUG and get one of each ring. Now I've been doing Basic Challenge loops (13/25, I can knock one out in 3-3.5 hours). Besides my one 24 Hour Challenge, I have nothing else. Is there a one-off of a challenge I can do that will give me a decent boost (No Augs, 100 Level, No Equips, Troll, No RB, Blind, No TM)? I'm at 9 mil E and 2 mil M (about 30-40 mil E/ 4-6 mil M with equips at 100%, can't be arsed to do the math). Doing the Basic Challenge loops has been nice because I can drop like 1 mil energy into each NGU and 1 mil into NGU Magic Ygg and Magic and still have enough to knock off the challenge. I also wouldn't mind something less finicky (24 hour rebirths because work is about to get busy and drat me if I can touch the game every hour like I have been doing). What are my options after I finish all my Basic Challenges? I felt pretty far from being able to farm Beardverse/UUG considering it took me a 5 day RB just to get up to speed. Is it maybe because my NGUs are low?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Later on, you shoot through floors so fast that 5 or 6 rounds trying to beat a floor is an incredible amount of wasted time. Also, that floor is so far away from your maximum floor it's barely worth the effort either way.
I still think armor is pointless because you have to put PP into it to keep it up to date, but you do you.

The question was around early stage though, in which case, getting a couple extra kills can add on 20-30% more XP for the run before dying. Especially if you're about to leave it up for the night. Once you're getting more than a single PP per run, perhaps it changes, so I can't speak to that, but early on Armor seems better suited when XP and PP are harder to come by.

And that particular run was right after PP2 was reached and all the PP1 was reset, so for the lack of bonus, getting 2 kills on floor 18 for that run was pretty decent.

But for anyone looking for strategy, go with either HP or Armor, it's not enough of a difference to notice overall for semiactive playing/resetting, just put your points in XP, DMG, and tank choice

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 21, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

How do you get back in NGU I played it for a moth hardcore a year ago now I have no muscle memory and the tutorial is long gone.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hughlander posted:

How do you get back in NGU I played it for a moth hardcore a year ago now I have no muscle memory and the tutorial is long gone.

Join the Discord and bug people a lot. Worked for me

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

But for anyone looking for strategy, go with either HP or Armor, it's not enough of a difference to notice overall for semiactive playing/resetting, just put your points in XP, DMG, and tank choice

I'm just doing all DPS all day, now. Only spend PP on xp and dps.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Xtanstic posted:

Join the Discord and bug people a lot. Worked for me

Don't expect all of us to be helpful. I'm not

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

IA: I have spent....far too long spreadsheeting values to breakdown best approach.

-Armor tank: Better against 3-6 enemy waves
-HP Tank: Better against 1-3 enemy waves
-Heal Tank: Don't do this
-3 enemies is the roughly even point in performance with slight advantage to HP, so Armor is marginally better if you're ONLY buffing one or the other tankwise. However, HP boosting allows DPS more opportunity to survive to throw out just one more round of damage, so the difference is marginal at lower levels, but higher levels does shift the margin the other direction to HP tanks
-XP scaling increase per floor increases faster than HP and Damage scaling, which is...weird. Example: Floor 16 is ~19x more powerful than floor 10, but has ~21x the XP
-Every additional wave you beat basically adds 50% to your gained XP per run, this only increases the further floors you go
-DPS only means you end up consistently 1-2 floors below a tank spec for a 50-70% loss on XP per run, but this also negates out to a fair extent by runs being 20-25% faster without worthless tank hits, and 50% faster increases to XP and DMG PP boosting by not spending on tanks stats. It still looks to be double digits slower though and worse as you increase floor cap

I setup 3 copies of the same file with equal boosts to damage, armor, and HP and 4 fighters (1 PP2 point in each, and all the PP1 gameplay unlocks, no PP1 bonus points) so we'll see what happens in a few hours. 1 is armor spec, 1 is HP spec, 1 is all DPS. Armor won the race to 100 already, with DPS at 98, and HP at 96. This should at least answer early game/pre-PP3

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
Floor skip, auto-prestige and janky balance really throws everything out. Once you unlock PP3, it really seems that only DPS is the way at the moment.

Floor skip is the worst. I just barely beat floor 33 with 7 DPS? Better skip me to floor 37, where each does less than 1% of a mob's hp! In this scenario no tank can take 1 hit, btw.

It's a shame coz I was really enjoying the ride, up til now. The dev says a big release is due in a day or 2, he had to refactor 40% of the code to eliminate a crash due to numbers getting too big.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I think for now you want to not take the PP3 floor skip, and maybe not the PP2 one either, it's too easy for them to completely screw you.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

pelao posted:

The dev says a big release is due in a day or 2, he had to refactor 40% of the code to eliminate a crash due to numbers getting too big.

Well this just happened to me. Game instantly crashes on load now, RIP any progress for me.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Slickdrac posted:

The question was around early stage though, in which case, getting a couple extra kills can add on 20-30% more XP for the run before dying. Especially if you're about to leave it up for the night. Once you're getting more than a single PP per run, perhaps it changes, so I can't speak to that, but early on Armor seems better suited when XP and PP are harder to come by.

And that particular run was right after PP2 was reached and all the PP1 was reset, so for the lack of bonus, getting 2 kills on floor 18 for that run was pretty decent.

The problem here is the "more XP before dying" is a waste of time because it takes ages to get them. I mean, I was under the same assumption when I was running my two healer build, but the numbers simply showed that outlasting enemies to get to higher floors is not worth it. When I did that, I had all the one-off upgrades and was level 1 for every other PP2 upgrade IIRC.

Cinara posted:

Well this just happened to me. Game instantly crashes on load now, RIP any progress for me.

drat, when did that happen? I've seen people in the comments complain of that happening around 1e14 XP.

pelao posted:

Floor skip, auto-prestige and janky balance really throws everything out. Once you unlock PP3, it really seems that only DPS is the way at the moment.

Floor skip is the worst. I just barely beat floor 33 with 7 DPS? Better skip me to floor 37, where each does less than 1% of a mob's hp! In this scenario no tank can take 1 hit, btw.

It's a shame coz I was really enjoying the ride, up til now. The dev says a big release is due in a day or 2, he had to refactor 40% of the code to eliminate a crash due to numbers getting too big.

Yeah I'm pretty much waiting for the next update now, too. The floor skip loving you up can be alleviated most of the time by just doing a prestige, but I'm really getting tired of having to manually buy upgrades because the autobuyers will put 90% of your currency into XP otherwise.
Could be a good idea to completely ignore HP though, I'll have to give that a try.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

drat, when did that happen? I've seen people in the comments complain of that happening around 1e14 XP.

Yea right around that, was pushing up to reset for ~200 PP3 when it happened.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cinara posted:

Aw that sucks. And it's completely 100% unplayable now?
I'm just thinking what the game needs so I would at least continue to PP4:
- fix for that crashing bug obviously
- room skip that doesn't allow you to skip the last 4 or 5 floors before your max floor
- cheapest upgrade first for autobuyers
Anything else you guys found annoying?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Xtanstic posted:

NGU:

Need some advice on what my next goal/power spike is to be. I spent last week farming to kill UUG and get one of each ring. Now I've been doing Basic Challenge loops (13/25, I can knock one out in 3-3.5 hours). Besides my one 24 Hour Challenge, I have nothing else. Is there a one-off of a challenge I can do that will give me a decent boost (No Augs, 100 Level, No Equips, Troll, No RB, Blind, No TM)? I'm at 9 mil E and 2 mil M (about 30-40 mil E/ 4-6 mil M with equips at 100%, can't be arsed to do the math). Doing the Basic Challenge loops has been nice because I can drop like 1 mil energy into each NGU and 1 mil into NGU Magic Ygg and Magic and still have enough to knock off the challenge. I also wouldn't mind something less finicky (24 hour rebirths because work is about to get busy and drat me if I can touch the game every hour like I have been doing). What are my options after I finish all my Basic Challenges? I felt pretty far from being able to farm Beardverse/UUG considering it took me a 5 day RB just to get up to speed. Is it maybe because my NGUs are low?

So I'm at the exact same point and the advice in discord was to just do 24 hour rebirths and push on BEARd until you can do Beardverse. I suspect that I should probably be doing some more challenges myself.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Oh no, I just realized there’s a whole new set of challenges in Evil mode. Every time I think I’m out they pull me back in.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jester Mcgee posted:

Oh no, I just realized there’s a whole new set of challenges in Evil mode. Every time I think I’m out they pull me back in.

The good news is that unlike normal mode a lot of the evil challenges are just for XP/AP. There's some that give benefits you'll definitely want (No TM, No RB, Basic, NGU and Troll) but the rest are optional. And I was able to knock out just about all of those and the first few Troll challenges in an evening after getting the Nerd set completed.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

So I'm at the exact same point and the advice in discord was to just do 24 hour rebirths and push on BEARd until you can do Beardverse. I suspect that I should probably be doing some more challenges myself.

Appreciate it. Thanks.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
hey just fyi I applied for steam finally and got the paperwork stuff done so now i spend the next couple months figuring out how to hook up all the Steam SDK stuff woooooo

PS: decided that steam release will also be Sadistic difficulty update. Expect a couple zones, bunch of sadistic only perks/quirks/wishes, and maybe a new titan.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I bounced off of IA; it was getting too "set up your dudes then go take a nap and hope you wake up to enough prestige for a notable difference" for me.

NGU, however, still has my attention. Game is good, y'all.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
IA updated.

quote:

- Migrated the game to a proper numbers library, allowing the game to reach much higher numbers! (theoretically infinite). This was a big one (about 40% of the game was rewritten), but if I did well, only people that are very far should notice the difference.
- Fixed a bug in the logic behind skipping floors checking the incorrect floor to verify your team is strong enough.
- Rewrote the levelup logic from scratch. Increasing performance alot. This should prevent the freezes that users experienced later in the game from this point forward! Also, experience is gained a bit faster early game.
- AutoBuyers now prioritize cheaper upgrades
- Fixed a prestige point diminishing return bug which caused some players to progress faster than intended without prestiging

Let's see how it is now.
E: Cool it shot me up to 3000 PP2 and 14 PP3 from ~100 and 6, respectively.
E: For some hosed up reasons the first floors are as slow as the last ones now.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I bounced off of IA; it was getting too "set up your dudes then go take a nap and hope you wake up to enough prestige for a notable difference" for me.

NGU, however, still has my attention. Game is good, y'all.

It's really not that slow.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 21, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I thought it was a simple Idle game, the kind you play once and then move on as soon as you close the tab.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

E: For some hosed up reasons the first floors are as slow as the last ones now.
huh, not happening for me, although I'm at a whopping 2 PP3 so it's not exactly, uh, endgame for me

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

huh, not happening for me, although I'm at a whopping 2 PP3 so it's not exactly, uh, endgame for me

Hmmm maybe it's somehow related to the tier 3 floor skipping upgrade then. Also, I should be more clear: It's not that the early floors take as many rounds as my highest floor or something, I'm solely talking about how fast the "animation" of the bar filling up is.
It goes like
floor 1: near-instant (how it should be)
floor 5: as slow as top floor
floor 9: as slow as top floor
floor 13: way faster again (how it should be)
Very mysterious.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So what unlocks at prestige layer 3? I'm still plodding along at like 12 P2 points.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is it just me or does it look like there's always 6 enemies per floor now?

Kyrosiris posted:

So what unlocks at prestige layer 3? I'm still plodding along at like 12 P2 points.

3 looks pretty much exactly the same as 2 and has the same mechanics. I suspect that's true for all the however many layers he has implemented so far.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
how do you even get these pp2 or pp3 points? i'm very slowly trudging along getting regular prestige points and costs go up quadratically so its like level 2 max i can afford in something after a day.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

something posted:

how do you even get these pp2 or pp3 points? i'm very slowly trudging along getting regular prestige points and costs go up quadratically so its like level 2 max i can afford in something after a day.

By doing longer runs, pretty much. I don't know what the exact numbers are now but it was something like you get the first PP at level 100 then the next one at 170 then the next one at 230 and so on.
Also, you get the first PP2 by having gained 100 PP1 overall (i.e. including the ones you spent).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

something posted:

Around level 2000 you'll get your first pp2 point. Early on it's really not worth getting more than 3 or 4 upgrades in each stat before waiting for pp2.

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Hmmm maybe it's somehow related to the tier 3 floor skipping upgrade then. Also, I should be more clear: It's not that the early floors take as many rounds as my highest floor or something, I'm solely talking about how fast the "animation" of the bar filling up is.
It goes like
floor 1: near-instant (how it should be)
floor 5: as slow as top floor
floor 9: as slow as top floor
floor 13: way faster again (how it should be)
Very mysterious.

Same here. A few people have posted comments about it on kong.

Cinara posted:

What strategy are you using?

He fixed the big numbers thing, and auto-prestige prioritises lower numbers now instead of going left to right. Also level skip seems to be fixed. He seems to be quite responsive.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

When you first do pp3 you get 2x multipliers on all stats, which then increase by 2 when you spend pp3 on them.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

pelao posted:

Same here. A few people have posted comments about it on kong.

What strategy are you using?

He fixed the big numbers thing, and auto-prestige prioritises lower numbers now instead of going left to right. Also level skip seems to be fixed. He seems to be quite responsive.

Yeah as far as I can tell, level skip will now only skip to levels that you can actually beat, possibly based off exactly how much damage exactly you did on the floor before the skip. I like that it doesn't just not skip but skips, say, 3 instead of 4 floors ahead.
Holy poo poo PP2 (and therefore PP3) is gained so fast now, this is great.
Re: strategy, are you still running full DPS? I think I'm gonna stick with a HP tank now that I can keep all upgrade levels equal, I just don't like immediately having my DPS exposed to attacks.

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah I'm still running full DPS. I might go back to armour tank tho, since it seems you're right and there's always 6 enemies now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

dis astranagant posted:

When you first do pp3 you get 2x multipliers on all stats, which then increase by 2 when you spend pp3 on them.

Ah so it's not like PP2 the first time where it really feels like a step backward.