Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Oh phew, I just found a gold volcano. I was going to be really pissed if the "lots of volcanoes" trait just gave me a dozen giant rock volcanoes and no metal volcanoes! Now I need to figure out if there's anything actually useful I can do with it.

On an unrelated note, do mechanized airlocks still consume power all the time? I remember hearing warnings a year ago not to ever plug them in, because they used so much power, but I don't know if that's been changed in 2019 or not.

e: It's funny living without a slime biome. I had to tame a PO2 geyser not for oxygen, but just to get clay out of deodorizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

nrook posted:

Oh phew, I just found a gold volcano. I was going to be really pissed if the "lots of volcanoes" trait just gave me a dozen giant rock volcanoes and no metal volcanoes! Now I need to figure out if there's anything actually useful I can do with it.

On an unrelated note, do mechanized airlocks still consume power all the time? I remember hearing warnings a year ago not to ever plug them in, because they used so much power, but I don't know if that's been changed in 2019 or not.

e: It's funny living without a slime biome. I had to tame a PO2 geyser not for oxygen, but just to get clay out of deodorizers.

Only when they open and close. If you click on a building there is a power tab in the tooltip area, it will show the power draw of everything connected to that curcuit in real time. Also if you mouse over a wire in the electric overlay it will show current/total power draw for that line.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 20, 2019

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mazz posted:

A tiny layer of clean water on top of polluted water actually stops the polluted water from offgassing so depending on application it can actually be a good thing.

No level of utility could possibly compensate for the abomination of mixed fluids!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'd been trying to figure out just the basics of critter ranching and I found a bunch of horribly complicated guides on how to set up a drecko stable room, but all that poo poo is very out of date since it depends on countering behavior the critters no longer do (sneaking out of doors), so this was actually not a big deal to set up at all:

pump some hydrogen into cans, set up a canister emptier in their room, good enough :shrug:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mazz posted:

A tiny layer of clean water on top of polluted water actually stops the polluted water from offgassing so depending on application it can actually be a good thing.

Just pump that poo poo into a container. No reason to have polluted water hanging around at all like that, unless you really want or need it to. Gas and liquid containers are my favorite buildings now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

but it's pretty :(

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Flesh Forge posted:

I'd been trying to figure out just the basics of critter ranching and I found a bunch of horribly complicated guides on how to set up a drecko stable room, but all that poo poo is very out of date since it depends on countering behavior the critters no longer do (sneaking out of doors), so this was actually not a big deal to set up at all:

pump some hydrogen into cans, set up a canister emptier in their room, good enough :shrug:

Just in case you aren't aware, all those regular batteries are wasting nearly 50 watts a second. Should swap over to smart batteries entirely and just have a few of them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

durr thanks, I'd say oh yeah I meant to do that but I'd be lying

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ambaire posted:

Just in case you aren't aware, all those regular batteries are wasting nearly 50 watts a second. Should swap over to smart batteries entirely and just have a few of them.

Specifically, you only actually need one smart battery, hooked up to disable your power generators when it gets full. If you have multiple different types of generators then you'll want one battery per type so you can set different thresholds to specify which type of power gets used first, eg natural gas turns on first, with petroleum only kicking in if that's not meeting capacity.

This only changes when you start building solar panels and you need to store a bunch of excess power during the day/when there's not a meteor shower, then use it up while the panels are unavailable.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
It turns out my colony doesn't produce enough filth and garbage to feed a Pokeshell. I don't know whether to feel cheered or saddened by this.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Run an ethanol distiller, apparently.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Triarii posted:

Specifically, you only actually need one smart battery, hooked up to disable your power generators when it gets full. If you have multiple different types of generators then you'll want one battery per type so you can set different thresholds to specify which type of power gets used first, eg natural gas turns on first, with petroleum only kicking in if that's not meeting capacity.

Depends how much power usage you have. I think a good rule is 1 smart battery per 2kw of usage, since it gives a bit of leeway for automation to turn the generators on. If you're using 1 smart battery with 20kw of usage, you're gonna have constant brownouts.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Do seeds selfplant still or is it pips all the way? It's been changed a few times and I have no idea why my seeds aren't sprouting unless it's disabled again.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Synnr posted:

Do seeds selfplant still or is it pips all the way? It's been changed a few times and I have no idea why my seeds aren't sprouting unless it's disabled again.

Pips all the way for putting plants in regular dirt blocks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

NB pips can plant on basically any surface except I think abyssalite and neutronium, I'm almost positive I've seen them plant on obsidian

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Well gently caress, rip my rime base then.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've been using one smart battery per transformer to turn off the transformer for a long time out of habit formed when heat production was a massive base-killer and heat deletion was not as robust (or I was stupider). Is that still a smart thing to be doing?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

bird food bathtub posted:

I've been using one smart battery per transformer to turn off the transformer for a long time out of habit formed when heat production was a massive base-killer and heat deletion was not as robust (or I was stupider). Is that still a smart thing to be doing?

Once you convert over to refined-metal wire that puts you at one battery per 2kw circuit, so seems legit to me.

e: also I still automate deactivating transformers like you so put me in for "smart"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do transformers emit heat? They don't have any power loss afaik so it'd be weird if they did.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

Once you convert over to refined-metal wire that puts you at one battery per 2kw circuit, so seems legit to me.

e: also I still automate deactivating transformers like you so put me in for "smart"

I also still do this. I didn't know that it might not matter anymore. Or I'm smart. But probably not.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Hey President Ark, I ran across a curious seed for an easy legacy game.

930768309 (Rime)

(If someone wants to use it for a very good seed to start with, try not to spoil it for others, and top right is the direction to explore at the beginning. It has everything necessary for building anything in the game except an AETN setup.)

The way the biomes interact is pretty nifty and makes for a base where it's difficult to figure out the best way to proceed. Probably not that exact seed for a future legacy game, but something with the same kind of weird biomes.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hamelekim posted:

Just pump that poo poo into a container. No reason to have polluted water hanging around at all like that, unless you really want or need it to. Gas and liquid containers are my favorite buildings now.

Any big tanks of water in my case are mostly dictated by 2 things:

1 Geysers; I have 6 liquid and 2 gas geysers within the bounds of my outer walls on this map. Without making a pool around the geyser to force it into overpressure, it will run forever. There are two salt water and one polluted water geysers dictating the location of these tanks, and the rest just fit (all 10 tiles wide! hooray!) in the same area for sorting/storage. Theres another cool slush and leaky oil directly above I'm opening up now.

2. I collect and store nearly all the water on the map as I terraform. Building liquid storage to support that vs a big insulated shell wouldn't be worth it.

The tiny layer of water is barely visible there in the screenshot; if you dump one auto-bottle its 200kg exactly, and doesn't really even show up. Water will sit on top of polluted water when added after the fact 99% of the time.

Also I agree with

Flesh Forge posted:

but it's pretty :(

One of the few reasons I prefer the water-over-vent storage systems vs lots of containers:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 21, 2019

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

endlessmonotony posted:

930768309 (Rime)

(If someone wants to use it for a very good seed to start with, try not to spoil it for others, and top right is the direction to explore at the beginning. It has everything necessary for building anything in the game except an AETN setup.)

The way the biomes interact is pretty nifty and makes for a base where it's difficult to figure out the best way to proceed. Probably not that exact seed for a future legacy game, but something with the same kind of weird biomes.

I had wanted to share this Volcanea seed for the same reason. I can't vouch for anything else, but things do have the potential to get very interesting very fast.

292458579 (Volcanea)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's a legacy game? Does ONI that has a specific game mode or is it just a community term?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Mazz posted:

Can you screenshot this?

Here you go. Let me just get my screenshot folder out...

Oh... You weren't supposed to see that.

Moving on!

Here is the main view of the machine. Above this is just the electrolyzer setup and the hydrogen generators.

This is the water pipe diagram.

I added some poorly colored arrows (I tried) to indicate flow direction. Blue is water. Red is polluted water.

Here's the air vent diagram.

Here's the automation view. The bottom pipe thermo sensor is set to "Above 99C". The top pipe thermo sensor is set to "Below 15C". The regular thermo sensor is set to "Above 100C"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a legacy game? Does ONI that has a specific game mode or is it just a community term?

Succession / legacy / dynasty are terms for a game in builders and turn-based strategy for a save that's passed on to the next player after a set period of time.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

endlessmonotony posted:

930768309 (Rime)

quoting this so i can find it later

(i am in absolutely no position to run one for at least the next month)

e: also interesting seeds for any of the first 4 non-terra maps (rime, oceania, arboria, verdante) would be appreciated

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

An interesting Arboria seed:

wouldn't say it's easy but you have some useful vents almost on top of the printer, there's at least 5 within a short distance of your start point.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm mad that I imported a seed from TNI but didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it on the site.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

CainFortea posted:

I'm mad that I imported a seed from TNI but didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it on the site.

Pull the seed number from the esc menu and enter it into the site. It will match up with yours, and the extremely unlikely chance another asteroid type that generated the same world seed was uploaded as well (not sure this is even possible).

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It doesn't find anything. Hence my saltyness.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CainFortea posted:

It's 1.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I decided to try something a bit different with my oxygen generation this run, but so far it's been working quite well.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Faldoncow posted:

I decided to try something a bit different with my oxygen generation this run, but so far it's been working quite well.

I’ve never thought to build a sphere and that looks cool as gently caress.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

"BRB Bubbles, i'm going down to the OXYGEN SPHERE"

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

CainFortea posted:

It doesn't find anything. Hence my saltyness.

What's the number in the esc menu?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

endlessmonotony posted:

Succession / legacy / dynasty are terms for a game in builders and turn-based strategy for a save that's passed on to the next player after a set period of time.
Alright, thanks. I'm familiar with succession games, but I've seen a number games that offer a "legacy mode" where you can hand down and endgame item or a strong character as a boost to your next run as a sort of limited New Game+, so I figured I might have missed something.

Although I must admit, I have no idea how that would work in a game like Oxygen Not Included.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright, thanks. I'm familiar with succession games, but I've seen a number games that offer a "legacy mode" where you can hand down and endgame item or a strong character as a boost to your next run as a sort of limited New Game+, so I figured I might have missed something.

Although I must admit, I have no idea how that would work in a game like Oxygen Not Included.

Save edit the game with Duplicity

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ooh, thanks. Looks like Legacy Game is go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mazz posted:

What's the number in the esc menu?

Edit: It's possible I copied the start seed wrong, except the geysers I can see look about where they should be if I remember right.