Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

drrockso20 posted:

Eh at least it's not the comic version of Wanted, that one is probably the biggest middle finger a comic has ever given to it's readership

I mean, the last page was literally the main character giving a middle finger to the reader :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I mean, they are certainly setting the stage of that with the last few episodes of the first season with Butcher refusing to go rescue the team, wanting instead to go after Homelander through Stillwell. Hughie steps up to devise a plan to save everyone else himself.

Plus he shoots Starlight (basically the co-protagonist) with a loving huge gun that I'm sure was meant to kill her

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

PostNouveau posted:

Plus he shoots Starlight (basically the co-protagonist) with a loving huge gun that I'm sure was meant to kill her

yo easy on the spoilers this isn’t the boys thread

e: nm i probably tapped it on accident

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MizPiz posted:

I mean, the last page was literally the main character giving a middle finger to the reader :v:

Well I meant metaphorically, not just on a literal level

Also on the topic of edgy comics getting adapted for other media, hopefully this eventually leads to us getting an adaptation of Transmetropolitan(though I'm not too sure who they could get to play Spider Jerusalem), and also hopefully the announced movie adaptation of Body Bags actually goes somewhere as well(cause Batista is probably the best pick they could ever find for Clownface)

Unmature
May 9, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

(though I'm not too sure who they could get to play Spider Jerusalem)

James Urbaniak

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

For a long time Patrick Stewart was trying to get Transmetropolitan made with himself as Spider.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Splint Chesthair posted:

For a long time Patrick Stewart was trying to get Transmetropolitan made with himself as Spider.

Too unrealistic a decade ago. Too realistic now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Splint Chesthair posted:

As much as I love Patrick Stewart, I don't think he could have pulled it off quite right

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

drrockso20 posted:

As much as I love Patrick Stewart, I don't think he could have pulled it off quite right

I think it's possible if he can get Vinnie Jones as an acting partner/coach

Edit: Granted, it wouldn't be the exact same character as the comic, but I think Patrick channeling Vinnie would make someone who's recognizably Spider Jerusalem.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 21, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Transmetropolitan hasn't aged well in some ways, it's VERY 'end of history'.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno I thought it aged well all things considered EXCEPT when it came to the "Transients" part of the setting, that part aged like milk(indeed I wouldn't be surprised if that part gets dropped entirely if it ever gets adapted)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I reread it all during the 2016 election and was very upset by how barely exaggerated it is anymore

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Unmature posted:

I reread it all during the 2016 election and was very upset by how barely exaggerated it is anymore

It really makes me wonder how Hunter would have felt about that election, one of many reasons I'm sad he's gone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

It really makes me wonder how Hunter would have felt about that election, one of many reasons I'm sad he's gone

I'm just going to assume incoherent profane rage and/or laughter on the level of a Dark Souls NPC.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's been a while since I read it but the part that ages the worst in my memory was every plot point where getting his articles out hinged on convincing/bribing/threatening an established news outlet into publishing them, instead of just going on Twitter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

wizzardstaff posted:

It's been a while since I read it but the part that ages the worst in my memory was every plot point where getting his articles out hinged on convincing/bribing/threatening an established news outlet into publishing them, instead of just going on Twitter.

He actually goes on the equivalent of a no-name blog eventually after being forced off the newspapers. They kinda got the internet better than most but clearly underestimated how big it'd get.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He actually goes on the equivalent of a no-name blog eventually after being forced off the newspapers. They kinda got the internet better than most but clearly underestimated how big it'd get.

Yeah, but even then didn't he have to, like, join the writing staff rather than just self-publishing? Like I said it's been a while but I remember there being a lot of tension because he would write something important but was powerless to distribute it by himself.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

wizzardstaff posted:

Yeah, but even then didn't he have to, like, join the writing staff rather than just self-publishing? Like I said it's been a while but I remember there being a lot of tension because he would write something important but was powerless to distribute it by himself.

it's a lot more difficult to self-publish without institutional support, and have anyone actually see your poo poo and take it seriously, than it was even ten years ago

like I can't think of a recent complete nobody with meager resources who broke through by just having a blog

if it were re-written with a Twitter analog in mind, Spider would be raging about not being able to get a blue checkmark

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

drrockso20 posted:

I frequently wonder similar, and also what Bill Hicks would be saying, if he made it past Bush 2.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

just read his articles about mcgovern v nixon

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
not to say hillary was like mcgovern but his coverage of the 72 dem primary was very amusing to read in 2017

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hunter was very much the original C-SPAMer.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Great news!

Rusty Venture's Illinois driver's license number would be V536-8176-0123. Seriously. There's a formula, and if you know the person's first and last name, middle initial, and birthdate, you can figure it out.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

Great news!

Rusty Venture's Illinois driver's license number would be V536-8176-0123. Seriously. There's a formula, and if you know the person's first and last name, middle initial, and birthdate, you can figure it out.

Somewhere in a Meatpacking District utility closet, quietly and without any fuss, a red light starts to blink.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wait'll you hear about this time period we're living in!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Here I thought the Beast was currently in office.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kesper North posted:

Here I thought the Beast was currently in office.

They have a whole issue specifically about how the Beast actually does know what he's doing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Transmetroplitan has aged better than basically every other comic discussed in the thread because he was basically spot on about everything.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Transmetroplitan has aged better than basically every other comic discussed in the thread because he was basically spot on about everything.

Except when it came to the Transients(and that one other minority that I can't remember what they were called), that part of the comic was basically a festering sore pretty much every time it came up past the first arc or so

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The people who splice their DNA with aliens? Who get beaten by cops and no one gives a poo poo about them because of the way they look?

What’s the problem with that exactly? I have the comics on my shelf, I might as well dove back in.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I just starts reading transmetropolitan and I feel pretty confident that it's a reference to trans people.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just by the description I've gotten on this page, it's pretty spot on.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

The people who splice their DNA with aliens? Who get beaten by cops and no one gives a poo poo about them because of the way they look?

What’s the problem with that exactly? I have the comics on my shelf, I might as well dove back in.

It mostly comes down to the fact that they pretty much only exist in the comic to get shat upon by the universe at every possible moment, which yeah is unfortunately kinda realistic but it's also depressing in a way that detracts from the quality of the comic basically every time they show up after that first arc(not to mention they stick out like a rather sore thumb once the comic dials down the more fantastical elements in the later parts of the comic, and even before that they always felt kinda out of place)

Not to mention Warren Ellis can't really seem to make up his mind over the comic's run over either how seriously he wants to treat the Transients and their plight, or exactly what they are supposed to be a metaphor for, it's basically the only major flaw I feel the comic has

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

37 new posts. I wonder what Venture Brothers news there is?

Oh :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's The Venture Brothers, never expect news within a year of the most recent season.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's The Venture Brothers thread, never expect anything other than pop-culture tangents.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Mega64 posted:

It's The Venture Brothers, never expect news within a year of the most recent season.

Yeah, I know this. I'm just making dumb jokes about the derail while I kill time waiting for actual news.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Its kinda expected but hey anything to keep this thread going is fine with me

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t wanna derail further so I’ll just say that they’re never painted as something to be hated or feared, they’re painted as “others who want to live their lives but who make people uncomfortable by existing” and I don’t feel like that’s a bad read for a minority suffering from violence and police brutality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

THAT'S MY DAISY!