Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I appreciate the nicknames that take two or three jumps to explain where they come from like Margaret == Peggy or Richard == Dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Endless Mike posted:

I appreciate the nicknames that take two or three jumps to explain where they come from like Margaret == Peggy or Richard == Dick

I'm not sure how many jumps it takes to get from Elizabeth to Tilly, but it does somehow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John == Jack is also a favorite since it doesn't shorten the name, just makes a different one. I don't think this is commonly used much anymore, though.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"St. John" is great, both because it's so unwieldy as a given name, and that it shortens to "Sinjin"

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Asia is full of this as well. I knew a guy in the Philippines named Amadoro bit everyone called him bing-boy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Apparently students in Taiwan (and most likely elsewhere but this is just my experience) will choose an English name to use in their English classes, and several Taiwanese I know just use these as their common names now (this is in Japan, so not even in the English sphere). There's some fairly standard names like Julia or Rachel, but also like Theodora and some stripper-esque names like Sprite and Glamor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rochallor posted:

Apparently students in Taiwan (and most likely elsewhere but this is just my experience) will choose an English name to use in their English classes, and several Taiwanese I know just use these as their common names now (this is in Japan, so not even in the English sphere). There's some fairly standard names like Julia or Rachel, but also like Theodora and some stripper-esque names like Sprite and Glamor.

In both French and Spanish classes I took (in America) we chose French and Spanish names for the class.

If you have Taiwanese, Japanese and Americans (or Brits or wherever you're from) all interacting I'm betting English will be the most common language spoken.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Far out nicknames are pretty common everywhere because knowledge of your true name gives wizards power over you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Stewart_(politician)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rhyno posted:

Nobody in the UK goes by Bob.

NO ONE.

There was that one Monitor in Final Crisis

No, really, his name was Bob.

quote:

However, New Earth's monitor, Bob, believes a much more peaceful approach should be taken, and establishes the Challengers of the Unknown, a group made of anomalies to help him track down Ray Palmer who he believes is the only man capable of averting the upcoming Great Disaster.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My middle name is Jay. My parents told me that it was a shorten form of Isaac, a relative I was supposed to be named after. I think they just said this because they liked the name Jay, hated the name Isaac, and did some mental gymnastics to justify the name.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Oasx posted:

I never said that other countries don't have nicknames, but it is odd how systematic it is in the US. You plan for your child to be called A, therefore you name him/her B.
If you think that is crazy the Romans added a Name C

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

My middle name is Jay. My parents told me that it was a shorten form of Isaac, a relative I was supposed to be named after. I think they just said this because they liked the name Jay, hated the name Isaac, and did some mental gymnastics to justify the name.

I think the Romans didn't have the letter J, so I was used to represent it, like in Latin versions of the bible, so Joseph would start with an I, but unless Issac is supposed to be pronounced "Jizzak" that sounds like bullshit.

Polly is a nickname for Mary.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

I think the Romans didn't have the letter J, so I was used to represent it, like in Latin versions of the bible, so Joseph would start with an I, but unless Issac is supposed to be pronounced "Jizzak" that sounds like bullshit.

Polly is a nickname for Mary.

Hebrew for Isaac is Yitzchak. The J makes a Y sound. As far as I know though, Hebrew doesn't shorten the name Yitzchak. Joseph would become Yosef as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brie Larson posted a picture of her holding the Mjolnir prop. There are 18K+ comments. I can already feel the videos titled 'NOT WORTHY' bubbling to the surface.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
It's fun to see Comicsgate spurge out that DC killed EVS' creation, Jessica Cruz, after railing on Jane Foster becoming Thor. What is irony?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

Brie Larson posted a picture of her holding the Mjolnir prop. There are 18K+ comments. I can already feel the videos titled 'NOT WORTHY' bubbling to the surface.

Posted where

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

Posted where

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1biFn3DDyh

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I liked this comment:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
told you the 3 way poly relationship was happening

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

I liked this comment:

"Careful you are not Thor yet. Mmm kay. Mmm kay." Wow.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1164372202411700224?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The whole thing is bad but uhh i cant figure out whats going on with those fingers

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

site posted:

The whole thing is bad but uhh i cant figure out whats going on with those fingers

That's one awkwardly long broken pinky finger. The guy is clearly in pain :ohdear:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow! A whole panel! That means it's due any day, right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mmm, nothing says topical like a twenty year old Grammy reference.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

site posted:

Overexposure to healing crystals.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
okay, but I really like the coloring?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

site posted:

i cant figure out whats going on with those fingers

Neither can EVS.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That art is just disappointingly forgettable. Like, not even noteworthy for how bad it is, like those Batman panels from Injustice. Just thoroughly, blandly unremarkable.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Chad Soy Boy vs the Virgin Solar Nebula

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dawgstar posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/scottlynch78/status/1164338450994278402

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Grifters gonna grift

https://twitter.com/Qlippot/status/1164596435796582409

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
https://twitter.com/goslngs/status/1165059641044156417?s=20

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Assuming those aren't trolls, it really spotlights those who are just in comics gate to be anti-women when they don't know who the She-hulk is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anora posted:

Assuming those aren't trolls, it really spotlights those who are just in comics gate to be anti-women when they don't know who the She-hulk is.

That's all of them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anora posted:

We are talking about people who think X-Men was apolitical until Laura became Wolverine.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Anora posted:

loving fake geek boys. :argh:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Quick someone check to see if David Goyer tweeted something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1165972562356199426

It's a nice thought, but does count on more self-awareness than I've come to expect from CG.