Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1163753873351356417?s=20

Hmm what's the over/under this is a secfuck or just an IT outage.

three weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
My bank just magnanimously informed me via email that my contactless credit card that I never wanted nor asked for is now on the way since I'm such a good customer.

How currently hosed is this technology and do I have to wrap my card in tinfoil now?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
can't you just ask them to disable contactless on the card? both my bank card and credit card have it, but it's not active on my bank card because lol if anything that can directly debit money from my accounts is going to have pinless access.

also, i have a small metal case for my cards, but ymmv.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Volmarias posted:

My bank just magnanimously informed me via email that my contactless credit card that I never wanted nor asked for is now on the way since I'm such a good customer.

How currently hosed is this technology and do I have to wrap my card in tinfoil now?

Tap is better than chip because you’re not having liability shifted to you.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

Tap is better than chip because you’re not having liability shifted to you.
you're bringing up dangerous derails here, and that advice is NA-centric

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
chip liability is UK/euro only.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Volmarias posted:

it’s fine
no

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a bunch of wallets advertise NFC protection but I have no idea if any of it is legit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

a bunch of wallets advertise NFC protection but I have no idea if any of it is legit.

my wallet breaks my building's security badge (gf gifted it without checking first) so it works that much. no idea if it would stop an intentional attack with a stronger antenna

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use a Secrid and it's very needs suiting and totally blocks rfid/nfc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

my wallet breaks my building's security badge (gf gifted it without checking first) so it works that much. no idea if it would stop an intentional attack with a stronger antenna

mine claimed to be NFC blocking but I hit it against the badge reader and it works. I wonder if the leather is just thick enough to block normal credit card nfc stuff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaggar posted:

it sucks rear end and the mesh breaks rapidly at the bend points. “rf shielding” wallets are every bit the security theater the tsa is. the big bags are better by virtue of heavier construction, double folds, and overall fewer flex cycles.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Screenshot for when they delete the tweet

I used to work for a company that was hired by an intermediary to pentest Virgin's sites, and sent this to a pal who still does.

Based on how they described the past few days it seems that advertising how bad your security practices are on social media is open season to hackers, ethical or otherwise. Who knew?

It's been a few years since I did any work for them, but at the time anything that couldn't be mitigated by updating to a newer product version was marked as 'won't fix'. That includes the passwords in plain text and low-entropy passwords that they've been aware of for a long long time.

IIRC the 10-character password limit was enforced, because at the time their lovely home routers also had a 10-char limit on the admin login, so they encouraged people to use the same password for both their router and their online services. Naturally, connecting to the router over wifi was HTTP-only and the password was sent as plaintext in a GET request.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 20, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BMX Ninja posted:

I used to work for a company that was hired by an intermediary to pentest Virgin's sites, and sent this to a pal who still does.

Based on how they described the past few days it seems that advertising how bad your security practices are on social media is open season to hackers, ethical or otherwise. Who knew?

It's been a few years since I did any work for them, but at the time anything that couldn't be mitigated by updating to a newer product version was marked as 'won't fix'. That includes the passwords in plain text and low-entropy passwords that they've been aware of for a long long time.

IIRC the 10-character password limit was enforced, because at the time their lovely home routers also had a 10-char limit on the admin login, so they encouraged people to use the same password for both their router and their online services. Naturally, connecting to the router over wifi was HTTP-only and the password was sent as plaintext in a GET request.
ya i mentioned the frankenmodem a few threads back and it shows their approach to everything:
real good read

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i've found that a metal credit card will block an nfc card

sample size n=1, but multiple times tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it probably doesn't so much "block" it as create a bunch of noise and reflections that make the signal unusable

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

it probably doesn't so much "block" it as create a bunch of noise and reflections that make the signal unusable

near field stuff generally doesn't work the same as normal radio stuff, basically the card and the reader couple together like a transformer and the card "signals" the reader by adding and removing a load to its side of the transformer, so putting a conductive thing in between them really does "block" that coupling to an extent

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
my wallet was stacked

[out]
train pass
metal CC
plastic debit card
[inside of wallet]

and the turnstile was like "lol nope", moved the IC card to the other side of the wallet and it was fine

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ya i mentioned the frankenmodem a few threads back and it shows their approach to everything:

the frankenmodem has some issues: https://www.nccgroup.trust/uk/about...for-a-backdoor/

real good read

Much appreciated.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

yeah, contactless seems to get pretty easily blocked by other cards for me too.

also i'm not sure there's much point being paranoid about contactless skimming. it's been in common use for a long time now and i'm not sure i've ever heard of it happening

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

near field stuff generally doesn't work the same as normal radio stuff, basically the card and the reader couple together like a transformer and the card "signals" the reader by adding and removing a load to its side of the transformer, so putting a conductive thing in between them really does "block" that coupling to an extent

nfc is inductive? neat

Chalks posted:

also i'm not sure there's much point being paranoid about contactless skimming. it's been in common use for a long time now and i'm not sure i've ever heard of even a poc attack

the smart ones use a challenge/response protocol instead of transmitting credentials (I know for sure this is how apple pay works and I'm sure all the other good ones also do it)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chalks posted:

yeah, contactless seems to get pretty easily blocked by other cards for me too.

also i'm not sure there's much point being paranoid about contactless skimming. it's been in common use for a long time now and i'm not sure i've ever heard of it happening

every once in a while some local affiliate does a really stupid card skimming expose that involves holding a reader to someone's rear end to show that the card can be exposed through your wallet/pants

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Yeah, not sure I've ever heard of a real world case, just local news station features bringing on a local 'hacker' to demonstrate. Anecdotal, of course.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raere posted:

Yeah, not sure I've ever heard of a real world case, just local news station features bringing on a local 'hacker' to demonstrate. Anecdotal, of course.

yeah agreed. if someone can show a good nfc at range poc i'd love to see it, seriously. too much of my life revolves around nfc read range.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

haveblue posted:

hell, the nfc is my phone is enough to gently caress up the badge readers if I'm trying to swipe in through my bag and they're sitting on top of each other. it's a very weak signal

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a link to some email client (Outlook?) pre-fetching all the links in an email upthread?

I can't find anything about it for the life of me.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hed posted:

Wasn't there a link to some email client (Outlook?) pre-fetching all the links in an email upthread?

Might have been Microsoft thread, I read it as "MSFT-hosted OWA" when I saw it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Hed posted:

James Baud posted:

Might have been Microsoft thread, I read it as "MSFT-hosted OWA" when I saw it.
ya it was:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

nfc is inductive? neat

yeah, inductive coupling is the "near field" part of nfc, as in the transmitter and receiver are close enough together (within like, half a wavelength or something like that iirc) that they directly couple and affect each other, rather than the "far field" of normal radio where the transmitter just radiates out some energy that the receiver picks up far enough away that the transmitter doesn't really "care"

e: it's within 1/2pi wavelength actually, which is even shorter than I thought!

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 20, 2019

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks friends! :tipshat:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1163465745877147650

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

the long form Epstein black book

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

*nervously clicks link, reads article, sees name of site, sighs in relief*

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

ymgve posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ymgve posted:

hahah who would have that kind of problem, you guys sure are weird!!!

oh thank god

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
one of our customers, who is heavy on the "can you provide us with 'best practices'?" (aka "we have no confidence in what we're doing and hope our vendor will do free tech consulting for poo poo that isn't their product") train would like to add authentication to their APIs

we have several means of adding authentication, but for brevity, it probably makes most sense for them to use OIDC: their identity provider supports it, our implementation is generally robust and feature-complete, if a mass of inscrutable spaghetti code.

the customer security architect is adamantly against this, arguing that OIDC's (typical) use of plaintext ID tokens is anathema, and also the vague "it's not industry standard to use OIDC to secure APIs" with no supporting rationale whatsoever.

their solution to the unspeakable horror of plaintext ID tokens is to essentially roll their own protocol from bits of other poo poo, banking on their identity provider being able to issue encrypted JWT access tokens that contain identifying information. they will copy the encryption keys to the gateway proxies handling authentication and write their own custom code to handle JWE decryption using them to extract the identifying info. this is lovely in so many ways:
* rolling your own crypto libs (in a language i doubt they have much expertise in): always a good idea!
* living in a magical world where somehow decrypting a TLS stream to get plaintext is somehow less meaningfully secure than decrypting a TLS stream to get an encrypted token and then decrypting the token
* there's a decent chance the key used to do JWE is the same key the IDP uses for JWS, since it's fine for access tokens to be opaque and impossible to decrypt normally. nothing like increasing your attack surface for stealing a key that can then be used to mint valid ID/access tokens.
* the OIDC spec literally already provides for ID token encryption in a less stupid way (the client has its own key pair and registers the public key with the identity provider). granted, our client doesn't implement this (because everyone else is fine with TLS), but the customer sure as hell didn't bring it up

bonus tangentially related content: i am quite amused that the Azure OIDC implementation has taken the good step of providing client-specific and global unique identifiers that require different permissions (to prevent correlation of accounts across multiple OIDC users), but also mysteriously using plaintext access tokens that apparently include ALL available claims (including, but not limited to, the client-specific identifier, global identifier, and user email address) regardless of what was requested or authorized by the user. the ID tokens only containing authorized claims.

their github comments indicate that they intend to encrypt the access tokens sometime in the future.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ymgve posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

florida lan posted:

one of our customers, who is heavy on the "can you provide us with 'best practices'?" (aka "we have no confidence in what we're doing and hope our vendor will do free tech consulting for poo poo that isn't their product") train would like to add authentication to their APIs

we have several means of adding authentication, but for brevity, it probably makes most sense for them to use OIDC: their identity provider supports it, our implementation is generally robust and feature-complete, if a mass of inscrutable spaghetti code.

the customer security architect is adamantly against this, arguing that OIDC's (typical) use of plaintext ID tokens is anathema, and also the vague "it's not industry standard to use OIDC to secure APIs" with no supporting rationale whatsoever.

their solution to the unspeakable horror of plaintext ID tokens is to essentially roll their own protocol from bits of other poo poo, banking on their identity provider being able to issue encrypted JWT access tokens that contain identifying information. they will copy the encryption keys to the gateway proxies handling authentication and write their own custom code to handle JWE decryption using them to extract the identifying info. this is lovely in so many ways:
* rolling your own crypto libs (in a language i doubt they have much expertise in): always a good idea!
* living in a magical world where somehow decrypting a TLS stream to get plaintext is somehow less meaningfully secure than decrypting a TLS stream to get an encrypted token and then decrypting the token
* there's a decent chance the key used to do JWE is the same key the IDP uses for JWS, since it's fine for access tokens to be opaque and impossible to decrypt normally. nothing like increasing your attack surface for stealing a key that can then be used to mint valid ID/access tokens.
* the OIDC spec literally already provides for ID token encryption in a less stupid way (the client has its own key pair and registers the public key with the identity provider). granted, our client doesn't implement this (because everyone else is fine with TLS), but the customer sure as hell didn't bring it up

bonus tangentially related content: i am quite amused that the Azure OIDC implementation has taken the good step of providing client-specific and global unique identifiers that require different permissions (to prevent correlation of accounts across multiple OIDC users), but also mysteriously using plaintext access tokens that apparently include ALL available claims (including, but not limited to, the client-specific identifier, global identifier, and user email address) regardless of what was requested or authorized by the user. the ID tokens only containing authorized claims.

their github comments indicate that they intend to encrypt the access tokens sometime in the future.

they should definitely roll their own crypto op, I lust for secfucks

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

should be mandatory on all logins like black box warnings on cigarettes