Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GigaFuzz posted:

If it's in the codex you have to use that, but if the Index has a wargear option for that unit that isn't in the codex, you can use that option from the Index.

They should expand that for things like Intercessors getting new Datasheets in boxes and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Endman posted:

Look, if this incredibly specific and extremely not fake example is true, that person deserves to be forever punished for painting a whole army of Salamanders when they don’t like how flamers work.

So you're saying that it's my fault for sticking with Blood Angels despite the thing I liked about them has gone away? Or that I should field Assault Marines despite the fact that they're terrible?

gently caress off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DiHK posted:

So you're saying that it's my fault for sticking with Blood Angels despite the thing I liked about them has gone away? Or that I should field Assault Marines despite the fact that they're terrible?

gently caress off.

What did you like that has gone away just out of interest?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I don’t mind people playing with red ultramarines or yellow dark angels

But I really struggle when people point at box dreads and say ‘actually that’s a leviathan, and the vindicate is an eversor, and anywhere you can see a heavy flamer is actually a heavy bolter’

Like the game is fast, complex and visual aids are very helpful, having to constantly ask what something actually is so you don’t mess up is poo poo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeast posted:

But I really struggle when people point at box dreads and say ‘actually that’s a leviathan, and the vindicate is an eversor, and anywhere you can see a heavy flamer is actually a heavy bolter’

Like the game is fast, complex and visual aids are very helpful, having to constantly ask what something actually is so you don’t mess up is poo poo.

I've done that when experimenting with things. I would never do it with someone unless they were a good friend and the context of us meeting up was "hey I wanted to try and proxy something is that okay?"

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Cooked Auto posted:

I suddenly need to a pot of Mordant Earth.
And then figure out which models I should use the Frozen Methane one for.

Does anyone know if this is just Mordant Earth, wash, drybrush? Is primer involved at all? Frozen Methane looks like a good, quick-and-dirty base for Blackstone Fortress.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Does anyone know if this is just Mordant Earth, wash, drybrush? Is primer involved at all? Frozen Methane looks like a good, quick-and-dirty base for Blackstone Fortress.

It's color directly on the base, Mordant on top, then drybrush. No wash.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

mango sentinel posted:

It's color directly on the base, Mordant on top, then drybrush. No wash.

That’s awesome and simple.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Is Mordant Earth new? I don't remember ever seeing it before, and those are some great looking bases.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My opinion on other peoples armies is I don't have one. It's your army, play whatever the gently caress you want. As long as it's easy to discern during a game, I could care less.

Yeast posted:

This guy gets it.

Razor Jacksuit posted:

To me, it looks like they painted the base underneath then put Mordant Earth down on top. When it dries it cracks, showing the color underneath. I'm curious to try this myself. I might swing by the shop later this week to pick some up and experiment.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Duct Tape posted:

Is Mordant Earth new? I don't remember ever seeing it before, and those are some great looking bases.

It's new, you would have to paint other stuff black previously.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Duct Tape posted:

Yeah I think it showed up with the batch of non-contrast paints that came out at the same time. It's just a darker Agrellan Earth.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

It's new, you would have to paint other stuff black previously.

You should see how much of a pain in the rear end this part was. There's a video of Duncan doing it with a hairdryer because painting the surface black is very time-sensitive. It's looked really awkward. It's so much better now that they've made a black version.

Here's the tutorial for the old lovely method.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

What did you like that has gone away just out of interest?

ASSAULT MARINE TROOPS

the TL:DR is that some marine flavors were very good at melee combat. From 3rd to 5th editions and I could count on a core of choppy jumpy boys to be my work horses. When I came back at the tail end of 7th Space Wolves were now the CC marines and I got wiped by White Scars just driving up terrain like it wasn't there.

Then 8th happened and I keep waiting for some kind of troop level melee focused Primaris boys but it's all shoot shoot shoot. I doubt it will ever happen so I've branched out.

So yeah I'm but hurt about my glorious beautiful space vampire boys being reduced to having a single leadership level beatstick, and then Endman comes up in here like Ben loving Shapiro telling me its my loving fault GW changes their poo poo all the time? gently caress that.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DiHK posted:

So yeah I'm but hurt about my glorious beautiful space vampire boys being reduced to having a single leadership level beatstick, and then Endman comes up in here like Ben loving Shapiro telling me its my loving fault GW changes their poo poo all the time? gently caress that.

Jesus loving christ lmao

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

OhDearGodNo posted:

Thanks for the answer and flowchart, definitely helps when I have 3 books to work with.

drat 8th is real good, y'all.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DiHK posted:

:eyepop:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah man I'm the same with my wolves a bit. They're pretty good if you can get them into combat and the shock assault will be good, but I wish there was a squad of primaris grey slayers or equivalent to play with. Blood Angels I imagine would love something similar with the +1 to wounds.

Also lmao Endman the Ben Shapiro of traditional games

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

ASSAULT MARINE TROOPS

the TL:DR is that some marine flavors were very good at melee combat. From 3rd to 5th editions and I could count on a core of choppy jumpy boys to be my work horses. When I came back at the tail end of 7th Space Wolves were now the CC marines and I got wiped by White Scars just driving up terrain like it wasn't there.

Then 8th happened and I keep waiting for some kind of troop level melee focused Primaris boys but it's all shoot shoot shoot. I doubt it will ever happen so I've branched out.

The Black Rage consumes another battle brother.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

ASSAULT MARINE TROOPS

Blood angels assault marines as troops was like a 1 edition thing. I wouldn't call losing that GW changing their poo poo all the time - oh and in 8th you can actually use appropriate detachments to run an army with all jump troops if that's what you want.

And blood angels fluff isn't all assault all the time, they emphasize a normal combined arms approach.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

Ah man I'm the same with my wolves a bit. They're pretty good if you can get them into combat and the shock assault will be good

They keep getting closer and closer to making it where I can work with it but even veterans are still lacking. Death Company with a Chaplin and a Sanguinary Preist and Shock Assault might just make it but that's a point heavy platform.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

They keep getting closer and closer to making it where I can work with it but even veterans are still lacking. Death Company with a Chaplin and a Sanguinary Preist and Shock Assault might just make it but that's a point heavy platform.

Hey man just run them as dark eldar, those guys seem pretty good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

How long until you toss all your small boys in the trash and just embrace the primaris future?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Yeast posted:

Edit: If the unit entry is 'Dude on Bike' then no

if the entry is 'Dude' and has "May take a Bike for X" then yes

Ok so that kinda sucks, My White Scars techmarine now has to be mounted, and I only have primaris transports.

My apothecary on bike will now need to be converted to something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Um if you run stealthy for cover and an imperial fists warlord trait your castle is getting +2 saves within 6" all the time (from shooting of course) :captainpop:

E: I've hosed this up it's only -1 ap weapons but still pretty great! Just not ludicrous.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 21, 2019

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Booley posted:

Blood angels assault marines as troops was like a 1 edition thing.

Was it really only 1st? Maybe thats why the other half of the army was always 3 rhinos and 15 to 30 tactical marines.

Also, shh, let me have my rage.

Also also if you're not running a battalion you are handicapping yourself on CP pretty severely.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

How long until you toss all your small boys in the trash and just embrace the primaris future?

I've got like 15 Battle for Maccragge boys and some assorted heavy weapons guys. Everybody else took the black.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Um if you run stealthy for cover and an imperial fists warlord trait your castle is getting +2 saves within 6" all the time (from shooting of course) :captainpop:

To hell with this once I get my tanks I'm running the army as fists to give this a whirl. Two repulsors rolling 4+ saves against lascannons lol.

You can only select the fists warlord trait if you're actually fists, and it's only +2 instead of +1 if you're being shot at by ap-1 weapons (so not lascannons)

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

dexefiend posted:

I am smooth brained as gently caress.

These rule, you rule

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Booley posted:

You can only select the fists warlord trait if you're actually fists, and it's only +2 instead of +1 if you're being shot at by ap-1 weapons (so not lascannons)

Ah yeah I just caught this and went and changed my post. Ah well. I wonder what the successor traits will be like in the coming books. I'm just excited about the custom chapters you can make.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

I am smooth brained as gently caress.

This army is mindblowing in that you assembled (and painted as Howling Griffons) that many Inceptors

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Hey man just run them as dark eldar, those guys seem pretty good.

What's funny about this is that I'm considering running a minimalist battalion of kabal warriors with my wraithhost for the cp

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

DiHK posted:

Somebody had reasonable success with an army built around a massive unit of death company with all the setup using forlorn fury and a massive unit of sanguinary guard with all the buff characters a few months back so its definitely got some legs.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mostly done with my Dyonysius pattern attack bikes. Still need to get the twin bolters painted and attached, as well as paint the multi-melta options.

Size comparison:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I think with the new book, Marneus Calgar in artificer armor and Marneus Calgar Primaris are both legal options but I’m not sure about terminator Marneus.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Does anyone have a source for white decals that are the alpha legion hydras disguised as the Ultra symbol?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

PantsOptional posted:

The supplement says that as long as you say your dudes are Successors of a First Founding Chapter, they count as that Chapter for Warlord Traits, Special Issue Wargear, Stratagems, Psychic Powers, and Tactical Objectives. Doesn’t matter if you took Inheritors or the pick two option, though it does mention that if you’re playing a Chapter known to be Successors of a different First Founding Chapter in established lore, you have to declare it as a Successor of that Chapter. In friendly games this just means that suddenly your blue and white dudes aren’t Novamarines but are some other Chapter as long as everyone is okay with it, and as has been stated anyone giving poo poo for that is someone not to be played.

This is pretty much it, but given that anyone not awful will basically ignore it (along with the rule that only Ultramarines can use their Special Relics, which RAW excludes a successor using Scions of Guilliman), why put it in the rules?

I don't want to be the guy harping on about GW rules bloat coming to 8th but it feels like the kind of awkward rules bloat you get when you try to give a rules basis to things that should be fun and fluffy.

I play 1K sons so ultimately I'm not affected by it but I'm just really into elegant rules design.

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 21, 2019

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MinistryofLard posted:

This is pretty much it, but given that anyone not awful will basically ignore it (along with the rule that only Ultramarines can use their Special Relics, which RAW excludes a successor using Scions of Guilliman), why put it in the rules?

I don't want to be the guy harping on about GW rules bloat coming to 8th but it feels like the kind of awkward rules bloat you get when you try to give a rules basis to things that should be fun and fluffy.

I play 1K sons so ultimately I'm not affected by it but I'm just really into elegant rules design.

Because you can use the chapter creation rules to make an ultramarines successor chapter and still get access to the ultramarines warlord traits, special issue wargear, strategems, psychic powers, and tactical objectives. But if you do that you don't get the chapter specific relics or characters, which is just fine and makes sense as those are balanced around the ultramarines tactics.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

What's funny about this is that I'm considering running a minimalist battalion of kabal warriors with my wraithhost for the cp

Maybe consider just making and painting the models you enjoy making and painting, and then maybe playing them in a game.

Or whatever, paint 5000 points of howling griffons and never roll a die, I’m not your dad.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So what's my best option for adding some melee marines to my Black Templars?

I'm half tempted to do Vanguard Vets with dual chainswords for the funny factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

MinistryofLard posted:

Btw there's a one use 1CP stratagem that lets a UM successor chapter take a single UM relic and replaces all the Ultramarines keywords of the relic with your dudes.

E: this one:

White Scars get one too:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 21, 2019