Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

whydirt posted:

“Justice never sleeps. Almsivi watch over you.”

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tbh forget about Jodorowsky’s Dune, let’s get Jodorowsky’s Morrowind

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

skasion posted:

Tbh forget about Jodorowsky’s Dune, let’s get Jodorowsky’s Morrowind

:catstare:

Morrowind has its own brand of strange that is perfectly fine on its own you monster.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Edit: Looking over the info about Harkonnen castle, I wonder if Giger would have been involved for just the Harkonnen part, and Jorodowsky would have had a different designer for Caladan and Arrakis.

Correct, Jodo wanted different designers for different groups.

Watch Jodorowsky's Dune to learn that and more.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
How you cannot understand what I offer you -- the shance to make de greatest picture in the history! We will shange de world! And you - you are eating Big Macs!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AFewBricksShy posted:

Edit: Looking over the info about Harkonnen castle, I wonder if Giger would have been involved for just the Harkonnen part, and Jorodowsky would have had a different designer for Caladan and Arrakis.

That was the intent, yeah

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

phasmid posted:

How you cannot understand what I offer you -- the shance to make de greatest picture in the history! We will shange de world! And you - you are eating Big Macs!

we are all eating from the trash can of shinema

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What isth de goal of de life? Isth to create for yourself a cheeseboorger. Isth as ethential to de life asth, asth cheeken nogget, asth pizza pie, asth taco. Mooviesth are dat, for me

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Duncan praying to "Dur" that Murbella survives the spice agony feels strange when you consider how many times Duncan tried to kill the tyrant.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Enkmar posted:

Duncan praying to "Dur" that Murbella survives the spice agony feels strange when you consider how many times Duncan tried to kill the tyrant.
Would the imprinting done by Murbella make it so that Duncan would've died had she died? I don't think we know very much about how the imprinting works.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Enkmar posted:

They were bonded to eachother right? so it follows from that, that Duncan's bond to her just flatly overrides his decision making processes to that point

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Honky Dong Country posted:

:catstare:

Morrowind has its own brand of strange that is perfectly fine on its own you monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-K2rUP86M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RtIsy9AHYE&t=81s

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Riot Bimbo posted:

They were bonded to eachother right? so it follows from that, that Duncan's bond to her just flatly overrides his decision making processes to that point
chapterhouse dune spoilers

Yeah I think he says something like 'I'd pray to the worm if I knew it'd save her life' (paraphrasing)

Which is funny to me because he actively remembers the worm squishing and killing him hundreds of times

That sexual addiction stuff is potent

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 18, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I had a terrible nightmare last night that I went to see Villeneuve's DUNE and it was bad

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dune... Deserted theatre...

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Speaker posted:

I had a terrible nightmare last night that I went to see Villeneuve's DUNE and it was bad

after seeing bladerunner 2049 i have nothing but optimism for the new dune movie

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im playing homeworld: deserts of kharak today and man, it really makes me want a modern dune rts

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Dune 2000 and Emperor Battle for dune are both great and worth it for the fmv's especially the rubber crown

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kanine posted:

after seeing bladerunner 2049 i have nothing but optimism for the new dune movie

Did you actually try to watch it as a film though or did you just use it as visual lsd

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Horsebanger posted:

Dune 2000 and Emperor Battle for dune are both great and worth it for the fmv's especially the rubber crown

So good a prop they used it four times, wobble and all.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Dune . . . desert bus . . .

You must ride a worm from your sietch to Arrakeen, an eight hour journey.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Kanine posted:

im playing homeworld: deserts of kharak today and man, it really makes me want a modern dune rts

It definitely scratched an itch for me! I haven't been able to get my install of Emperor to work on modern hardware though, sadly.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

lmao

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I tried getting into Dune again,started listening to the audible audio book. It made click. I love how evocative it is. At work I closed my eyes and could smell the Baron...but it was just my boss.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Vlex posted:

It definitely scratched an itch for me! I haven't been able to get my install of Emperor to work on modern hardware though, sadly.

I got it to install, let me figure out what I had to do.

Edit: I'm pretty sure everything I did was on this:
https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=65254

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 20, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

alexandriao posted:

Did you actually try to watch it as a film though or did you just use it as visual lsd

what do you mean? i enjoyed it on pretty much every level

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Kanine posted:

what do you mean? i enjoyed it on pretty much every level

Really? Cause I never hear anyone talking about the characters, story, acting, etc. or anything besides the production and effects.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Probably because the design, visuals, and effects are some of the best this decade, and the rest is merely passable to good.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

DebonaireD posted:

Really? Cause I never hear anyone talking about the characters, story, acting, etc. or anything besides the production and effects.

wow i loving hate it now! thank you so much somethingawfuldotcom forums user DebonaireD!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

DebonaireD posted:

The story in BR doesn't really draw attention to itself, but it's there? It has a point, the main character is a manufactured humanoid grappling with its relationship to humanity, hunting for evidence of humanity within himself. The main characters are almost all replicants so it would follow they don't fully behave as humans do, and human roles in the movie are mostly short enough you don't really get to know them . It's not um, a typical drama in the tradition of theatre or a novel but it is very much a story that plays to the strengths of film, and is a demonstration that Villeneuve knows what film is good for, and I mean God willing he took Dune and made a good film first, and not a faithful adaptation first.

I mean, i'd love to see the novel lovingly brought to life with a big ol budget and lovingly rendered down to the last word, but if that's possible with Dune, I don't think anyone has the time or money to do it justice. Best case we get more poo poo like the dumb little miniseries with a HBO budget but hbo doesn't even have that great of a track record with adaptations lol and they're the best in town for it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
BR2049’s plot is kind of a mess and overreaches hugely but the subplot about K’s relationship with Joi is no-poo poo good sci-fi.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

just started reading Dune for the first time, i'm like 5% in and I'm hooked. I thought it was funny how the super fat bad guy isn't that fat by today's standards at 200kg. I mean thats fat but people get so much fatter, the writer didn't know how fat we would become.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 21, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caesar Saladin posted:

just started reading Dune for the first time, i'm like 5% in and I'm hooked. I thought it was funny how the super fat bad guy isn't that fat by today's standards at 200kg. I mean thats fat but people get so much fatter, the writer didn't know how fat we would become.

200kg is insanely fat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, are you misreading that as pounds? 200kg is about 441lb. That said, we have a show called My 600lb Life...

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I know its insanely fat but its not even nearly the fatness that we are capable nowadays. Its fat as gently caress but people get fatter than the author could have thought possible. Lots of americans are walking around at 450lbs without any gravity devices lifting their fat flaps.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/HomeworldGame/status/1163496294566047745

i know its only tangentially related but holy poo poo BBI is teasing a new homeworld project to be announced soon and i am so excited

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
No idea if the OP misread lb for kg, but I don’t think that’s the point. Herbert wrote that a 440 pound man was the upper limit for what a corpulent human could achieve from his 1965 perspective. The baron was so fat he required repulsor lifts to move and so on. And now we have tv shows where people weigh 600 - 800 pounds. 440 pounds sounds almost fit compared to an 800 pound person who can’t even get out of bed. I’m with the OP. Herbert grossly miscalculated how loving fat people could become if given enough chance.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Forget about the fat part, welcome to the Dune universe. It's insanely complex and detailed and there is so much we can talk about, politics, religion, cultural anthropology, ecology, planetology.

But instead, consider the poop. In fact consider the poop within poop.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he's so fat he has to wear anti gravity devices to be mobile. he chunky boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i don't know that the baron was supposed to be as fat as he possibly could be