Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Montreal was also where the titular Ecole du Ciel was lcoated, which made me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

No one cares about Vancouver.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yes, Edmonton deserves to be flattened by giant robots.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gundam 00 implies the Real IRA are still going in 2308; not quite as optimistic as Star Trek's 2024 Irish reunification.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Actually, the weirdest bit of the Origin by far is that time Char met an undiscovered Amazon jungle tribe.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Actually, the weirdest bit of the Origin by far is that time Char met an undiscovered Amazon jungle tribe.

I'm pretty sure they were part of a discovered tribe that really exists. :shrug:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Depending on where you get your info, Garma may or may not have died in Tacoma and that's truly a greater insult than being a Zabi.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jackhunter64 posted:

Gundam 00 implies the Real IRA are still going in 2308; not quite as optimistic as Star Trek's 2024 Irish reunification.

The funny thing about that is that when 00 Gundam was written around 2008ish, the IRA were basically defunct and hadn't seen much activity in coming up on a decade because of the Good Friday Agreement, so having them still be active 300 years later despite them having been quiet for nearly a decade just seemed odd; but now Brexit is throwing that all up in the air and they absolutely could see a resurgence. Yet at the same time, the provision for a border poll built in the Good Friday Agreement means that after Brexit it's absolutely possible that there could be an Irish Unification before 2024 if Britain ends up taking (or just falling in to) a "No Deal" Brexit, because Northern Ireland is already the most impoverished and ignored part of the UK and a hard Brexit of that kind would only exacerbate that trend; possibly even pushing some of the more moderate Unionists (the people who fight to stay in Britain) in to asking for or voting to become part of a united Ireland, just so that they'd become part of the EU again, since the EU is generally more attentive to the needs of periphery areas outside of major cities than the UK government and Northern Ireland already voted to remain during the referendum; even if only by a small margin.

So either could be right. Possibly even both, since the more hardcore Unionists might actually take up arms to protest the reunification (should it happen), and reverse the historical sides, fighting to split the island and rejoin the United Kingdom (if it even exists anymore, since Scotland and even Wales may end up leaving the UK in a "No Deal" scenario too). 300 years might seem far-fetched, but while the IRA itself was only formed after World War I, it's predecessor organization the IRB (Irish Republican Brotherhood) goes back another 70 odd years and fighting for Irish unity from England can actually be traced back about 800 years total in various forms and I've seen some sources talk about it as the longest continuous war in history because of that. Which is presumably why Gundam 00 picked that, and the Middle East as contemporary hot-spots that could conceivably be ongoing after 300 years, to ground the conflicts Celestial Being was intervening in in terms the audience would know. Even if the Northern Irish troubles were actually sorted for the foreseeable future at the time the show was being written.

The next few years are going to be interesting times for this area of the world, basically.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 18, 2019

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm pretty sure they were part of a discovered tribe that really exists. :shrug:

So it is. The Yanomami tribe.

Hilariously, the Gundam wiki gives their actual name and also calls them fictional. Mixed messages, y’all.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

tsob posted:

The funny thing about that is that when 00 Gundam was written around 2008ish, the IRA were basically defunct and hadn't seen much activity in coming up on a decade because of the Good Friday Agreement, so having them still be active 300 years later despite them having been quiet for nearly a decade just seemed odd;

00 specifically uses the Real IRA, the faction who split from the original IRA and rejected the Good Friday Agreement

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm rewatching Seed, and... well, I prefer the OG dub to the HG remake. The voice actors don't seem to "get" crying or emotion in general. And I really miss Mark Oliver.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I'm rewatching Seed, and... well, I prefer the OG dub to the HG remake. The voice actors don't seem to "get" crying or emotion in general. And I really miss Mark Oliver.

"I don't get crying" sounds pretty appropriate for SEED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rUxPco8P-A

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Salute to OG Dub Rau. Good night, sweet prince.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Which Gundam character is closest to Tidus in the FF10 laughing scene?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HitTheTargets posted:

Char, he came here to laugh at you!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

You know it took me a moment to recognize if this was the dub or og crying. They're both wonderful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

Hard to say, since Tidus laughed like an idiot on purpouse because he was faking it terribly. I can't think of anyone that did quite the same kind of terrible (great) attempt at acting.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

God drat Setsuna just makes it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hard to say, since Tidus laughed like an idiot on purpouse because he was faking it terribly. I can't think of anyone that did quite the same kind of terrible (great) attempt at acting.

Yeah, I'll take Tidus HA HA HA HA HA over Kira's... whatever that is. It's comically overdone, but at least that was the point. Whatever Kira is doing, it sounds like the voice actor has never actually experienced a mental breakdown.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kira cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAPA3YN6c2U
Amuro scream.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Jesus, that kid had it bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Jesus, that kid had it bad.

Yeah, Amuro's life kind of sucked even before it was torn to ribbons by the One Year War.

If it wasn't for the impromptu family he formed with the White Base crew, Amuro would probably have wound up in worse shape than Shinji.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, Amuro's life kind of sucked even before it was torn to ribbons by the One Year War.

If it wasn't for the impromptu family he formed with the White Base crew, Amuro would probably have wound up in worse shape than Shinji.

Would be fun if we got a SRW game that had both OYW era Gundam and Evangelion in it, be interesting to see how Amuro and Shinji would connect in a game where they're about the same age as each other

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I feel like Shinji wouldn't have much to say to Amuro but Amuro and Asuka could get into some absolutely nuclear fights.Especially while a mission is going sideways.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

chiasaur11 posted:

i know you don't mean this at all but i can't help imagine ribbons almark showing up as some kind of kaworu-esque troll in amuro's life during his OYW stint

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Randallteal posted:

I feel like Shinji wouldn't have much to say to Amuro but Amuro and Asuka could get into some absolutely nuclear fights.Especially while a mission is going sideways.

I dunno, I think they would have much to bond over in regards to having lovely dads*, also just realized the crossover gag they do with Amuro and Misato in the SRW franchise would become hilariously awkward in a game with OYW Amuro instead of the usual Zeta/CCA era Amuro that is normally around with her

*though Tem Ray is a lovely dad in a much different way than Gendo Ikari is

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is Tem Ray even a particularly lovely dad? The only real scene we get of him being in any way lovely in the original, at least before he's thrown out in to the vacuum of space and presumably suffers some kind of brain damage, is when he meets Amuro during an attack on the colony. At that point, the mobile suits haven't even directly threatened the specific place they're in either, and Tem is just trying to help get the technology he knows could massively affect the war protected. Amuro accuses him of caring more about the mobile suits than people, but the mobile suits are actually kind of important given the scale of the war; so Tem's reaction seems pretty reasonable. He wonders why Amuro isn't evacuating, then tells him to go to the White Base, before trying to protect the technology he's probably spent years working on that could drastically affect the war.

On the other hand, one of the first scenes in the show is Bright coming to Tem's room on the White Base to fetch him, with Tem commenting that he hopes the Gundam's mass production will finish the war quickly so that kids as young as Bright (who tells Tem he's 19) and his own kid (i.e. Amuro, 15 at the time) no longer have to be sent in to war; then lamenting the rumor that kids his own son's age are being used as guerrillas by both sides. We also know that he took Amuro with him to space when he went to work in space, even though he could have left Amuro with his wife and that Tem specifically stated he wanted Amuro to see the construction of the Sides for himself and expressed it in a hopeful, kindly voice rather than a cold or stern one.

It gives the impression Tem was a decent father figure who was consumed by the war effort and stressed about protecting something materially valuable to the war in that one scene when Amuro didn't appear to be in any direct harm, with his relationship being distant because he was involved in important work trying to protect his son's future and never much at home due to the pressure of the war; rather than that he was a lovely parent full stop. I don't really see what's so awful about that. Especially since he would presumably stop being so distant and distracted if/when the war was finished. It's not anything close to the scale of shittiness that Gendo Ikari is in. It's a low level, and pretty understandable and sympathetic shittiness that, yes, is going to impact his son, but is hard to entirely criticize either because the work is actually important and part of the reason he's doing it is directly tied to the fact he wants to protect his son.

Bright and Hathaway have much the same thing going on in later entries, where Bright is basically always away from home, whether with AEUG, the Federation or Londo Bell directly and Hathaway grows up without a strong father figure, but it's hard to criticize Bright too much, because there's a new conflict that directly threatens the entire planet every couple of years and someone does actually need to fight the good fight.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 21, 2019

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Randallteal posted:

Meanwhile Fraw and Shinji get along famously.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah Tem is way less if an rear end in a top hat than Gendo. He just got estranged from his son due to his obsessive compulsive need to finish Project V. Amuro's relationship with his father isn't a "gently caress you, dad' dynamic, it's another casualty of a war that is destroying everything it touches.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

chiasaur11 posted:

Based on what? How did his life suck before the OYW? And worse shape than Shinji? He has a friend that cares enough about him to make him food and visit him so from minute one of his debut in MSG that's a nope on that one.

tsob posted:

It gives the impression Tem was a decent father figure who was consumed by the war effort and stressed about protecting something materially valuable to the war in that one scene when Amuro didn't appear to be in any direct harm, with his relationship being distant because he was involved in important work trying to protect his son's future and never much at home due to the pressure of the war; rather than that he was a lovely parent full stop.

It's finally happened, a tsob post I agree with. Between being a 100% good dad and Stopping the Genocidal War he chose the latter. He definitely not forcing his son to get in a Meat Robot to be traumatised as part of a decade long conspiracy to reunite with his wife.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think "worse than Shinji" is hyperbole though Amuro is clearly a little off in the beginning of MSG.

Like, why does Amuro need a friend to make him food to begin with? Why isn't he doing that himself?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I've always read it as he's a teen nerd who gets engrossed in his hobbies, which is just a thing that happens. He doesn't need a friend to make him food, she just does because she mothers him, he'd probably at one point go "drat I'm hungry, I haven't eaten all day, time to eat a food" which is a thing that happens to people. The default shouldn't be to assume he requires a carer. It feels like seeing a scene where a character is running to school and their parent yells out that they forgot their bag again and leaping to "this person has brain damage" or something. It's a thing to show he gets engrossed in things and is a science nerd that focuses on stuff to the exclusion of putting on trousers and making lunch, not that he's a wreck of a human being that would die of starvation if Fraw wasn't there to put food in his mouth, he's not starving to death or anything despite not even eating the food she made him.

I've said it before but the worst I can see happening to Amuro if the OYW didn't happen was he'd grow up to be an excellent engineer who is a bit socially awkward and gets deep into his work. He's the scientifically gifted, absent-minded nerd which is an incredibly common trope.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Raxivace posted:

I think "worse than Shinji" is hyperbole though Amuro is clearly a little off in the beginning of MSG.

Like, why does Amuro need a friend to make him food to begin with? Why isn't he doing that himself?

Amuro strikes me as having a minor undiagnosed mental chillness

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

He's also a paranoid cosnpiracy guy, who just happens to be right.

Man, in that hypothetical OYW/Eva crossover, he wouldn't trust NERV and be looking into what's going on.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

Ever have a couple days off and spend them nerding out over something, like a new video game you were excited for or a Netflix session or something, long enough that you realize you forgot to eat for a while? That's pretty much Amuro all the time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't disagree with that characterization of Amuro, but being like that all the time is pretty blatantly unhealthy and that reflects more poorly on Tem than I think some are giving credit for.

That doesn't put Tem at Gendo levels of terrible but its not good.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonder if some of that isn't supposed to be foreshadowing for the Newtype stuff later on in the show. I forget the exact timeline on when the "Is/isn't Amuro a Newtyoe" talk really starts happening in relation the Amuro's paranoia though.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 21, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

HitTheTargets posted:

Off the top of my head, I think Garrod's "TIFA, I BELIEVE IN GOD" ranks up there.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, in that hypothetical OYW/Eva crossover, he wouldn't trust NERV and be looking into what's going on.

In the Origin manga, I always thought it was weird how Amuro never seems to suspect the tests the doctors at Jaburo were running on him. I figured he'd throw away the pills they were giving him without Sayla pointing it out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

I don't disagree with that characterization of Amuro, but being like that all the time is pretty blatantly unhealthy and that reflects more poorly on Tem than I think some are giving credit for.

That doesn't put Tem at Gendo levels of terrible but its not good.

Tem is passively neglectful like pretty much any overtime-heavy career-centric parent is, which isn't ideal but it's incredibly(and increasingly) common in the modern world to the point where it's almost normal now. He actually seems to care about Amuro, he's just wrapped up in his work and can't/won't set aside enough time to spend with his family - it's a failing, but it's a pretty fixable one had they had more time. It's entirely likely that if the V Project finished without Side 7 getting whacked then Tem would have devoted more time to Amuro.

Gendo is a malicious fucker and cares absolutely not a whit for the life, welfare, and desires of his son beyond Shinji's usefulness as a tool for his own plans. They're not even in the same universe, in my opinion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I didn't say (or at least I didn't mean to say) he would be worse than Shinji as a default. I just meant that, without the White Base as a support network, Amuro would be even more damaged by the one year war, reaching Shinji levels of full on emotional breakdown.

And yeah. Tem's a terrible dad (and Kamaria is a worse mom). The thing is, mech shows (including Gundam) have so many terrible dads that it can be easy to let him slip by on the curve.

Tem's neglectful and cares more about himself and his work than his son, letting his divorce leave Amuro a latchkey kid. But as bad as that might be by real world measures, he's competing against guys like Gendo (forces his son to nearly kill his best friend, then knocks Shinji unconscious and ignores him when he objects.) and Franklin Bidan (literally tries to murder Kamille to get in the good graces of the people who just murdered his wife.), Tem doesn't look as bad as he maybe should. Like, sure. He leaves Amuro an anti-social shut-in and seems to undervalue human life sometimes. He still shows some basic level of affection, doesn't abuse Amuro, and the job he's so obsessed with is trying to save humanity from the rule of a genocidal tyrant. Compared to a lot of guys in shonen anime, that's pretty good, even if it's objectively, you know. Bad.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

amigolupus posted:

Off the top of my head, I think Garrod's "TIFA, I BELIEVE IN GOD" ranks up there.

Except that scene was an amazing punchline that gets across Garrod's entire energy in a goofy and positive way, whereas the whole point of Tidus laughing is that it's meant to be incredibly cringeworthy, and become ever moreso once you learn what a summoner's pilgrimage entails.

Kanos posted:

Tem is passively neglectful like pretty much any overtime-heavy career-centric parent is, which isn't ideal but it's incredibly(and increasingly) common in the modern world to the point where it's almost normal now. He actually seems to care about Amuro, he's just wrapped up in his work and can't/won't set aside enough time to spend with his family - it's a failing, but it's a pretty fixable one had they had more time. It's entirely likely that if the V Project finished without Side 7 getting whacked then Tem would have devoted more time to Amuro.

Gendo is a malicious fucker and cares absolutely not a whit for the life, welfare, and desires of his son beyond Shinji's usefulness as a tool for his own plans. They're not even in the same universe, in my opinion.

Basically. Tem Ray is not a very good father, Gendo Ikari is a an abusive trainwreck of a human being. Neither are good parents, but there's a grand canyon between the two when it comes to how bad they actually are.

The later Tem Ray scene in Side 6 is more memorable, but it's also depicting Tem Ray after he's suffered brain damage and probably doesn't reflect who he used to be. The Tem Ray we see there is yet another casualty of war and shows that Amuro has now lost both his mother and father, and they aren't even dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raxivace posted:

I wonder if some of that isn't supposed to be foreshadowing for the Newtype stuff later on in the show. I forget the exact timeline on when the "Is/isn't Amuro a Newtyoe" talk really starts happening in relation the Amuro's paranoia though.

I don't think it's ever brought up in relation to his paranoia, at least in the animations (it might be in the novels or something). I'm pretty sure they only ever really refer to Newtype stuff in relation to his piloting skill, which actually starts getting foreshadowed pretty early in the show, because Matilda makes a mention of how Amuro is so good and improving so fast he could be an esper. It comes off like she's making an exaggerated comparison in order to show just how great his skill is, and that's probably all she intended at the time (that's around episode 9 or 10 I think), but it sets some seeds for the eventual reveal early on. The only time I recall it ever being brought up in relation to anything beyond piloting skill by the crew is when Bright asks if Amuro's assertion they can win just before the battle at A Baoa Qu is Newtype intution.

chiasaur11 posted:

And yeah. Tem's a terrible dad (and Kamaria is a worse mom). Tem's neglectful and cares more about himself and his work than his son, letting his divorce leave Amuro a latchkey kid.

I can't say as I got the impression Tem cared more about the Gundam than his son; at least, before he appears with brain damage in Side 6. Amuro certainly accuses him of caring more about the Gundam than about people when he spots him trying to move the Gundam rather than help evacuate citizens during the attack on Side 7, but the citizens all know about the shelters and have procedures in place to evacuate themselves, while people are required to move inanimate objects and the one he's concerned with could help end the war a lot quicker. It makes sense that he's concerned with one above the other. Then again, I don't think Kamaria is a horrible mother either, because while she condemns Amuro once she realizes he's a soldier, she immediately starts questioning that when he responds with confusion. The last time she saw Amuro he was probably only 8 or 9 and she still has that image in her head, so she's still treating him that way. She doesn't like the direction his life is taking him, but she tries to go along with it for the couple of minutes left that she sees him and says goodbye to him before he boards the White Base again. The actions of both Tem and Kamaria are pretty understandable in my opinion, and how both treat Amuro seem more like a furtherance of the show's theme that war consumes and fucks things up for everyone it touches. They seem like they were good parents with a happy family before the war, and that the war itself wrecked that happy life.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 21, 2019