Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Motronic posted:

Swapping $40 worth of plastics on a $400 laptop does not cost $300.

It does if you're a computer repairman.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm guessing the $300 is the insurance deductible and they pay that regardless of actual repair costs. I only say that because my younger sister stepped on her laptop screen when she had one issued by her high school forever ago, and the insurance deductible was $300.

Yep, but the school should still have documentation of paying someone $300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

It does if you're a computer repairman.

Yep, but the school should still have documentation of paying someone $300.

They probably do, and the principal is being a dick. The goon probably signed something acknowledging the $300 charge when he enrolled his daughter in school and forgot.

These documents are being produced at the speed of government and our goon friend isn’t getting special attention because there are a bunch of other students’ that don’t have their laptops for the same reason. Bunch of kids broke their laptops and a bunch of parents don’t wanna pay is what this sounds like.

I have no doubt that the actual repairs cost less than $300, but if that’s just the insurance deductible he’s SOL and is just gonna have to pay it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
If the repairs were less than the deductable, wouldn't the liability still only be the repair cost, as that was the only actual damage? The school wouldn't have claimed it anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The school isn’t repairing them. They likely have a contract with a supplier that handles it all.

That’s at least the setup i’ve seen in the past.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 20, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

They probably do, and the principal is being a dick. The goon probably signed something acknowledging the $300 charge when he enrolled his daughter in school and forgot.

Noooooo. I've spent over 20 years in the military. I sign nothing that I do not understand first.

Mr. Nice! posted:

These documents are being produced at the speed of government

I'm really suspecting that they don't actually have anything documented. But if they do, I just want to see it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have no doubt that the actual repairs cost less than $300, but if that’s just the insurance deductible he’s SOL and is just gonna have to pay it.

That's always a possibility.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The school isn’t repairing them. They likely have a contract with a supplier that handles it all.

That’s at least the setup i’ve seen in the past.

I don't know what they do with these chromebooks. But they put iPads, enough for every kid to have one, in the elementary schools and didn't contract repairs. So now instead of every kid having and iPad, it's only a few per classroom that get passed around.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It’s not that I think you didn’t understand. It’s just that you (or your spouse) likely signed it when the kid was first enrolled years ago and it was a part of a large stack of paperwork involving shot records and class schedules.

If they didn’t have parents sign something before giving kids laptops then it’s probably in some handbook or something they gave you.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s not that I think you didn’t understand. It’s just that you (or your spouse) likely signed it when the kid was first enrolled years ago and it was a part of a large stack of paperwork involving shot records and class schedules.

If they didn’t have parents sign something before giving kids laptops then it’s probably in some handbook or something they gave you.

Right, I've got that.

It just says the school may require you to pay for damage where appropriate. It doesn't get any more specific than that.

Which is why I just want to see where the 300 dollars comes from.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My law school laid it on pretty heavy that the whole reason the contra preferendum rule exists is really that Judges absolutely loathe lawyers who aren't nearly as smart as they think they are using legalisms that are really just gibberish when plain English would work just fine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

spacetoaster posted:

Right, I've got that.

It just says the school may require you to pay for damage where appropriate. It doesn't get any more specific than that.

Which is why I just want to see where the 300 dollars comes from.

Gotcha. I’m just speculating here.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Alchenar posted:

My law school laid it on pretty heavy that the whole reason the contra preferendum rule exists is really that Judges absolutely loathe lawyers who aren't nearly as smart as they think they are using legalisms that are really just gibberish when plain English would work just fine.

...and yet they used the Latin name for the term

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Motronic posted:

Swapping $40 worth of plastics on a $400 laptop does not cost $300.

Every laptop I've opened up in aaaaages has specific screws in the bottom to let you pop out the explicitly replaceable keyboard unit with no other bullshit aside from maybe removing the battery to get at one of them. If they paid $300 for that, either they got fleeced or the computer repair guy is the principal's brother or some poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Heners_UK posted:

...and yet they used the Latin name for the term

Lingua Anglica peius linguam Latinam

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Lingua Anglica peius peior (quam) linguam Latinam

A lot of humanities and social sciences academic writing is about trying to sound as educated as possible at all times to impress/intimidate your reader, even at the expense of obscuring your point. My limited experience with legal academic writing is that this same urge is funneled into Latin.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

homullus posted:

My limited experience with legal academic writing is that this same urge is funneled into Latin.

Nonne erras.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

Every laptop I've opened up in aaaaages has specific screws in the bottom to let you pop out the explicitly replaceable keyboard unit with no other bullshit aside from maybe removing the battery to get at one of them. If they paid $300 for that, either they got fleeced or the computer repair guy is the principal's brother or some poo poo.
My roommate spilled soda on his Acer a couple of weeks ago. 37 screws, the keyboard was a solid piece with the top of the laptop. It actually worked really well for preventing liquid from getting onto the motherboard, but I had to pull the motherboard off from the back to tell.

Laptop manufacturers love to pull weird bullshit. But yeah, $300 for a couple of scratches is loving ridiculous. Especially on a Chromebook. Not a lawyer, just a longtime computer toucher.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So I wrote the letter, and my daughter was given her computer this morning.

Thank you lawyer thread.

(The principal is still adamant that I must pay 300 dollars, but I told her we could discuss it further once she provides some documentation)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

So I wrote the letter, and my daughter was given her computer this morning.

Thank you lawyer thread.

(The principal is still adamant that I must pay 300 dollars, but I told her we could discuss it further once she provides some documentation)

Fantastic news.

Since it was in your letter, simply wait for that documentation. Honestly if it never materializes along with a written claim for payment, I'd consider simply leave the matter alone and never mention it again.

If however this $300 is a balence owing on an account or something at the school (and you know this from a more credible source than a principle furiously spitting it at you as a single sentence in a heated meeting) then I'd follow up once they've had their chance.

Set a reasonable time limit to resolve this matter (31 days, 63 days... something that looks calculated). Once this reasonable time has passed without documentation, write another letter stating that you've received nothing and that the matter is closed, with any pending invoices/similar cancelled. Keep in mind that the time limit is just a number for your sake, it's not a real limit that applies to them, so use something reasonable.

That letter should read something like "It has been 63 days since I received any communication from you in regards to this matter. As you know, I have requested supporting documentation for your claim. Since this has not been received, I consider this matter closed. If there are any pending invoices or account charges related to this matter, please cancel them for the same reason."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You could also write them a check for $15 with “daughters computer 2018-2019: accord and satisfaction” in the memo line and see if they cash it

(This is a joke it is not legal advice m)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Plot twist: she was given a scratched computer

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Lingua Anglica peius linguam Latinam

With that username you should really have better Latin :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

You could also write them a check for $15 with “daughters computer 2018-2019: accord and satisfaction” in the memo line and see if they cash it

Ha ha.

I looked up the actual cost of the computer. It's $218 new.

I'm going to have to see if this principal is selling used computers out of her car trunk.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

spacetoaster posted:

Ha ha.

I looked up the actual cost of the computer. It's $218 new.

I'm going to have to see if this principal is selling used computers out of her car trunk.

Offer to buy the school a new one. Then deduct it on your taxes.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

It's $218 new.

If you ever get to the point of discussing costs with them, after documentation provided, you have a new maximum amount to pay.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
There's good reason to have latin terms for specific things in legal practice where it's referring to a concrete thing without a simple alternate name. That's...not how most people use it.

feedmegin posted:

With that username you should really have better Latin :colbert:

Legalis Latium nones verdid justicam.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Heners_UK posted:

If you ever get to the point of discussing costs with them, after documentation provided, you have a new maximum amount to pay.

Absolutely.

And less than that because the computer is fine (and being used by another kid).

If it comes to it, it's going to be some notional amount. Because I don't see how they can say the computer was ruined (I have one of our initial emails where the principal lies and says that the computer was ruined) when it was re-issued with no repair being done.

I work for the federal government, and write regulation/policy, so I'm really kinda surprised that a large school system doesn't have a more robust system for dealing with school issued electronics (considering every kid has one).

Of course, I substitute teach for this school system, and have been doing it for 2 years and have yet to obtain any sort of handbook. Every few months I contact HR and ask for one and am told "We'll get you one when we get one". :stonk:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Latium's laws 3pm equitable springtime? And that's reaching because I don't think 'verdid' is even Latin.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Javid posted:

Depends on the laptop, I worked in computer repair ages ago in undergrad, and some brands and series (off the top of my head, Dell Inspirons, ASUS, Lenovo) were super easy to replace the keyboard -- you unscrewed 2 screws on the bottom, popped the keyboard tabs out, unplugged the data ribbon, and replace. Took 20 minutes.

On the other hand, Acers, HP, Dell Latitude, and a bunch of others requires 30+ screws from both the top of the housing and the bottom, and some (apple) required the entire motherboard and hard drive to be removed and it took 2-3 hours.

Bottom line, like any industry, charge for the worst case scenario. Some laptops were also comically fragile (Apple, again) and if you bent a ribbon or port or screw ever so slightly, you'd break something very expensive, and of course, the customer shouldn't be expected to pay for that fuckup.

That said, glad the situation was resolved amicably though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Lorax ipsem color sit amet; constipatur adipiscing L337?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

euphronius posted:

It is a joke unless you include a peppercorn.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

What you do is

first, you get a sheep

then you *shear* the above text and bank routing numbers into the side of the sheep

then you sign the sheep with the shears (may need to take a calligraphy lesson first

Dare them to deposit it

if they do, demand the return of the cancelled sheep

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The principal didn’t have very strong principles when it came to money demands.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

The principal didn’t have very strong principles when it came to money demands.

The principal claim was $300

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
They would do well to realise it wasn't a principality

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Ghostnuke posted:

:siren::siren:UPDATES:siren::siren:

After talking with my realtor, it's looking like she might not have ever had us sign the the page that would have had the attachments to the title :lol:

She said that the title company definitely sent it to her, but that she has no record of sending it to us. I checked, and I have no record of receiving it. I'm quite surprised that she's admitting this to me because wouldn't that open her up to all kinds of liability? She's definitely scrambling because she's trying to get the title company to represent us anyway "in the interests of saving their business relationship" or something like that. None of this will change the possible suit from the neighbor but it looks like I might have 1) some help from a lawyer for free OR 2) someone to blame this all on.

I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop in Chicken Battle. Their lawyer keeps trying to send me a certified letter, but I'm never home to sign for it, so :shrug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He showed Robin his dick

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop in Chicken Battle. Their lawyer keeps trying to send me a certified letter, but I'm never home to sign for it, so :shrug:

I'm actually super invested in the chicken battle and I hope you can keep us updated but will understand if for legal reasons you need to stop posting about it on the internet.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol glad spacetoaster got his kid’s computer before posting his support for dubious sex tourists

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol glad spacetoaster got his kid’s computer before posting his support for dubious sex tourists

I've only briefly look at that thread but the actual post linked to his probation appears to be one where he's trying to explain the precise language he used. My efforts to teach letter writing by forum posts must have not stuck beyond the laptop topic.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Has anyone here argued the Crumbling Skull Rule in a brief

And is there a more hardcore legal doctrine than that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Devor posted:

And is there a more hardcore legal doctrine than that one

I've always been a fan of the dead hand poison pill.