Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Maybe consider just making and painting the models you enjoy making and painting, and then maybe playing them in a game.

Or whatever, paint 5000 points of howling griffons and never roll a die, I’m not your dad.

Um, excuse you? I'm not the howling griffon guy. Do you need to see my cred? Under the Blood Angels section of the OP is my army but here's a more recent pic.

Here's some of my eldar.

I be rolling dice dawg, you need to have your glasses checked foo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DiHK posted:

Um, excuse you? I'm not the howling griffon guy. Do you need to see my cred? Under the Blood Angels section of the OP is my army but here's a more recent pic.

And it’s impossible to play them using their actual rules why? Because a swarm of Assault Marines isn’t a win-all-games button?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Here's some of my eldar.

That looks like an entirely functional army, what's the problem here?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

They are just different colored space barbies, dude. Let them play how they want.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

Btw there's a one use 1CP stratagem that lets a UM successor chapter take a single UM relic and replaces all the Ultramarines keywords of the relic with your dudes.

E: this one:

White Scars get one too:

To me this says it's even more clearly intended the actual rules are to play with what you have them painted as.

If you could just paint your guys as whatever and use White Scars rules instead of White Scars Successor Chapter rules, then why would you even have a function in the game for spending an extra command point to transfer some of the White Scars benefit?

I think that's a weird rule but it's obviously a rule.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

To me this says it's even more clearly intended the actual rules are to play with what you have them painted as.

If you could just paint your guys as whatever and use White Scars rules instead of White Scars Successor Chapter rules, then why would you even have a function in the game for spending an extra command point to transfer some of the White Scars benefit?

I think that's a weird rule but it's obviously a rule.

It actually makes sense regardless of painting, since you can use the main codex to make a custom chapter, then call them white scars successors to get certain benefits while having a different set of chapter tactics.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Paint for coolness, not for rules.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

Here's some of my eldar.

Cool dark eldar army brah

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

Mostly done with my Dyonysius pattern attack bikes. Still need to get the twin bolters painted and attached, as well as paint the multi-melta options.

Size comparison:

These are so cool.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Endman posted:

And it’s impossible to play them using their actual rules why? Because a swarm of Assault Marines isn’t a win-all-games button?

Why can't I play them as red codex marines and expirement with the bolter doctrine? You're implying that because I picked BA so many years ago I should be stuck using jump boys just as the Salamander guy is stuck with his flamers.

@Bools it's a fine army I just like to play more aggressively than marines are built to play right now.

Edit:

Cool dark eldar army brah

I like the cut of your jib.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 21, 2019

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

Why can't I play them as red codex marines and expirement with the bolter doctrine? You're implying that because I picked BA so many years ago I should be stuck using jump boys just as the Salamander guy is stuck with his flamers.

@Bools it's a fine army I just like to play more aggressively than marines are built to play right now.

I thought we all agreed that the salamander army was a figment of that white noise posters imagination. No one actually plays salamanders.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I thought Endman called them fake news after declaring that they could only use template flamers now and were therefore heretical.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DiHK posted:

I thought Endman called them fake news after declaring that they could only use template flamers now and were therefore heretical.

Man imagine playing Salamanders and using templates.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Edit:

I like the cut of your jib.

Blood angels are the more aggressive army compared to codex marines.

The way I see it is that in a tournament you should feel free to have your color scheme not match your army, as long as you're using the right models and you're not confusing people. Running blood angels (or dark angels, or grey knights, or space wolves) as something else teeters right on the edge. If you're just using generic units its fine, but once you start using any models specific to that codex (be they sanguinary guard, thunderwolf cav, whatever) it can get confusing.

In a casual game, play your army how it's painted.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

DiHK posted:

Here's some of my eldar.

Your Howling Griffons aren’t done until you base them properly.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Floppychop posted:

So what's my best option for adding some melee marines to my Black Templars?

I'm half tempted to do Vanguard Vets with dual chainswords for the funny factor.

I go either big group (14+) of character-buffed choppy crusaders or a five man Sword Brethren detachment with storm shields and power swords. The detachment can do freaking work when you use the attached stratagems. Pretty cheap too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Two Beans posted:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ghazk posted:

Damnit, this shouldn't have made me laugh

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

DiHK posted:

Here's some of my eldar.

Do you have a tutorial somewhere explaining how you did your Chris Foss paint scheme there? I've got Harlequin vehicles to paint on the horizon and was considering going this route.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DiHK posted:

My brain is far too smooth to parse this post.

Booley posted:

Blood angels are the more aggressive army compared to codex marines.

The way I see it is that in a tournament you should feel free to have your color scheme not match your army, as long as you're using the right models and you're not confusing people. Running blood angels (or dark angels, or grey knights, or space wolves) as something else teeters right on the edge. If you're just using generic units its fine, but once you start using any models specific to that codex (be they sanguinary guard, thunderwolf cav, whatever) it can get confusing.

I agree with this.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
A combination of browsing this thread and the new custom Chapter rules has inspired (read: shamed) me to come up with my own paint scheme for my Primaris force rather than just doing a bare bones Blood Angel's thing.

Here is a shot of my painted Primaris before they are stripped:

Yes, I converted a Primaris Captain out of a Custodes and some Primaris bits.

"After" pictures to follow

Two Beans posted:

I really wish you'd said "Paint for coolness, not for ruleness."

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ghazk posted:

If I base howling griffins on my dark eldar bodies will this be acceptable.

Booley posted:

A casual game is the only place I would expirement with codex marine rules. I'd never do red ultras in an event. BA is absolutely more aggressive than the codex marines but it doesnt translate out of the book and to the battlefield very well. Many of the big BA tennents have been watered down in 8th. Assault Marines are not good, Death co and Sanguinary Guard can be effective but are expensive. Box-naughts are not great. The dred librarian is often a suicide mission and the Slam captain is a more effective and efficient. Mephiston is fine, sanguinary priests are fine.Overcharged engines are a joke.

Overall they're not what they used to be. It's fine but I like a more reckless playstyle.

Karl Rove posted:

Do you have a tutorial somewhere explaining how you did your Chris Foss paint scheme there?

I can make one, I've got all the necessary pics. You got an airbrush? It's pretty easy.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I don't even get the whole "red ultras" thing. If you're mono codex and there's no confusion, what's the big deal? I understand if you're mixing detachments and it can cause confusion, but all the space marine models are now the same (except characters) so why does color matter? If you had a red army and painted a red Guilliman, why couldn't they be all Ultramarines? Who's it hurting?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

EvilBeard posted:

I don't even get the whole "red ultras" thing. If you're mono codex and there's no confusion, what's the big deal? I understand if you're mixing detachments and it can cause confusion, but all the space marine models are now the same (except characters) so why does color matter? If you had a red army and painted a red Guilliman, why couldn't they be all Ultramarines? Who's it hurting?

Picking the good rules because you want to win a game is fine, just don’t pretend you’re doing it for fluff reasons or whatever. Just be open that you’re doing counts-as because you want a 3+ instead of a 4+.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EvilBeard posted:

all the space marine models are now the same
:thunk:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't mind getting confused with a friend while trying poo poo out, but if you're hitting the point of proxy characters and poo poo that isn't basically 1:1 with stat changes or stuff I'll probably get bored and feel like you've wasted my time on a Saturday.

If you put down dudes on bikes painted orange, say they're White Scars and I can tell what units you're using then whatever.

Also I soaked my airbrush all day and have a jam. I can't work it out and I wanted to paint my Hellblasters :(

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 21, 2019

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JBP posted:

I don't mind getting confused with a friend while trying poo poo out, but if you're hitting the point of proxy characters and poo poo that isn't basically 1:1 with stat changes or stuff I'll probably get bored and feel like you've wasted my time on a Saturday.

But what if they really really really want to win though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

But what if they really really really want to win though.

I'll concede and go home a couple of hours earlier to do something else I guess.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JBP posted:

I'll concede and go home a couple of hours earlier to do something else I guess.

Wow I painted these originally generic primaris and then a variety of chapters and then eventually deathwatch for very specific fluff reasons, how dare you disrespect my army.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wow I painted these originally generic primaris and then a variety of chapters and then eventually deathwatch for very specific fluff reasons, how dare you disrespect my army.

Tell it to my agates, kid.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I thought we all agreed that the salamander army was a figment of that white noise posters imagination. No one actually plays salamanders.

"I just plain don't like Salamanders people."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Idk what the deal was with my airbrush, but I put it on full power and it must have blown out whatever poo poo was in there. These are going to look cool even though I'm going to have a poo poo time with some of the hands because I used a brainless subassembly.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Did the rest of the Slaanork Dreads. Limited photos of the Keeper and bagpipe dread here 'cause I already posted them.

Those arms from the Keeper of Secrets didn't go to waste

EDIT: The image hosting site hosed over the resolution, I'll repost them in a sec'.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 21, 2019

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I kind of regret starting this derail but yeah you should paint your models in whatever way looks cool and no TO should ever come close to encouraging anything otherwise.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Thanqol posted:

Did the rest of the Slaanork Dreads. Limited photos of the Keeper and bagpipe dread here 'cause I already posted them.

Those arms from the Keeper of Secrets didn't go to waste

EDIT: The image hosting site hosed over the resolution, I'll repost them in a sec'.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 21, 2019

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
excuse me sir you can't use these as bad moons when they are clearly painted as goffs

these are :krad:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

excuse me sir you can't use these as bad moons when they are clearly painted as goffs

these are :krad:

Aw man I'm already going to conversion jail and now this? :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MinistryofLard posted:

I kind of regret starting this derail but yeah you should paint your models in whatever way looks cool and no TO should ever come close to encouraging anything otherwise.

Are there any tournaments that actually require you to use a specific army book depending on how your army is painted?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Possibly a big ask but is there anyone else in the thread that’s a wheelchair user?
How do you transport your models around, especially if you go to games alone?
I currently have one of the Citadel skirmish cases but it’s already getting kind of full, I’m thinking that I might have to get a bigger case and just attach it to the handle of my backpack with a carabiner or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are there any tournaments that actually require you to use a specific army book depending on how your army is painted?

I think official Games Workshop ones require you to use an army's rules if they're painted in that army's paint scheme? But I've never heard of non-GW tournaments demanding it.