Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wdarkk posted:

Were the horses ok?

My company broadcasts a lot of horse races.

Typically horses do not respond well to being invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Dat hoof where he mouf supposed to be.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I equate horse racing with greyhounds, I used to love going and betting, now I find it pretty repulsive.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Same but I need a paycheck and lost my job after I left once.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Typically horses do not respond well to being invented.

I assume this is a typo but lol very true

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don’t the legs of racehorses snap if they attempt a maneuver even slightly more complicated than running around a track?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Is that how you get foot and mouth disease?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Bloop posted:

I assume this is a typo but lol very true

On the fifth day God created all of the animals that roamed the Earth.

Horses were not amused.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The seventh day was actually spent apologising to the horses

"Yes, I know that's a lot of weight to put on a single fingertip, but on the plus side I gave you a really thick, weird nail. By the way, if you ever get a hangnail you'll die.

Yes, I know that's what I said about the last ten things we talked about"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
glue glue glue?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The number 5 horse was quoted as saying I'M GLAD MY LEGS AREN'T BROKEN BUT I'LL PROBABLY NEVER RACE AGAIN

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

withak posted:

Don’t the legs of racehorses snap if they attempt a maneuver even slightly more complicated than running around a track?

Yes, also if they attempt to run around a track

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Lincoln posted:

I work in the horse racing industry. So this happened yesterday...

Lotta OSHA at the track, believe me.

poor freckles. thought of orthodontia and died

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
for real though ban horse racing

california has seen something like 30+ euthanasias this year so far

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

poor horse owners, thought of profits and their horses died.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

withak posted:

That’s a horrible thing to call NASCAR drivers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

Yes, also if they attempt to run around a track

Also if they don't run around the track at all

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry* to interrupt horse chat, but I was just driving one of our 4wd utes to fill up with diesel, and drove past the gatehouse at the same time a delivery truck was pulling up. Driver gets out to go to the breathalyzer machine (a condition of site entry) and as the speed limit there is 20km/h, I get a good look at what he's hauling.

Cabover prime mover, two 40' trailers, 16 big bulka bags on each of them, "AMMONIUM NITRATE" printed on the side. We're ramping up blasting soon for an open pit extension, and I guess all that boom's gotta come from somewhere!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I always knew that they did their job by feel in the dark, but with the advent of VR/AR, you think they could mount something inside their helmet to at least let them access photos of what they're working on. Or quick little animations of exploded views of entire assemblies. They wouldn't even need any control of it either, just radio the guys on the surface to "switch to Slide 6" or "show me that animation again of the motor housing assembly steps". Or hell, give them control, possible with eye-tracking now.

I worked in water treatment, industrial rather than municipal granted, but it was decidedly not a field where anyone was trying to innovate. I'd imagine the poo-divers themselves are happy to spend extra time feeling around in the dark so they can extract some extra contract bucks. Don't wanna make immersing yourself in a cauldron of nightmarish filth sound too appealing!

BMan posted:

I did not need to know about "the dirty bird"

Yea... but it's kinda impressive that they've been able to pinpoint yardbird vs. whatever else. Technical diving is fuckin cool.

bij fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 21, 2019

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

lol if you posted:

I used to work EMS at horse racing and generally when the horse had a fall they'd throw some water on it, give it 5mins and if it didn't get back up or had an obvious broken leg they'd shoot it and throw it in the back of a truck.

Horse people are the worst too. Coked up multi millionaire snob poo poo heads everywhere.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the Musk thread - Tesla's being sued by Walmart for setting their stores on fire.

loving hilarious. Who even hears of solar panels catching fire?*

Walmost sues Teslas over allegedly faulty panels.

* Bazinga: Wow, Musk made solar panels so effecient, they can absorb too much energy! Nuke Mars!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Musk is just doing his part to tear down that capitalist machine/

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Megillah Gorilla posted:

From the Musk thread - Tesla's being sued by Walmart for setting their stores on fire.

loving hilarious. Who even hears of solar panels catching fire?*

Walmost sues Teslas over allegedly faulty panels.

* Bazinga: Wow, Musk made solar panels so effecient, they can absorb too much energy! Nuke Mars!

The fun thing for fire fighters is that, the closest switch to the actual PV power source might be on a wall panel in the utility room, or up in the attic, or integrated into sub panels. So, the sun could conceivably keep driving the full rated power of the array into an electrical fire somewhere between the house's primary breaker and the panels, in the event of an otherwise controllable fire.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

coke posted:

lmao this is like chernobyl before chernobyl

quote:

The test area was left for six weeks to give highly radioactive fission products time to decay. A grader with a rubber squeegee on its plow was used to pile up contaminated dirt so it could be scooped up. When this did not work, a 150 kW (200 hp) vacuum cleaner was used to pick up the dirt. Fragments on the test pad were initially collected by a robot, but this was too slow, and men in protective suits were used, picking up pieces with tongs and dropping then into paint cans surrounded by lead and mounted on small-wheeled dollies. That took care of the main contamination; the rest was chipped, swept, scrubbed, washed or painted away. The whole decontamination effort took four hundred people two months to complete, and cost $50,000.

Weren't those the same paint cans that were "found" recently, and by recently I mean in the past 5 or so years just sitting there in a museum or ranger station or something?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Mistle posted:

Weren't those the same paint cans that were "found" recently, and by recently I mean in the past 5 or so years just sitting there in a museum or ranger station or something?

You might be thinking of this.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mistle posted:

No that was just some museum that had some buckets full of uranium ore sitting around.

Story from 1913 about some hillbillies getting sick after finding a spooky cave:
https://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radoz.html

quote:

"A little way from the mouth of the cave 'Bill' Henry, John Dempsey, and I found what looked to us like rich silver ore. It was growing dusk and we decided to go back to camp, get a good nights rest, and return the next day to make a more careful examination. In the morning we lit our pitch-pine torches and started in. About two hundred feet from the mouth, the cave was partially blocked by what looked like a big tree trunk of solid silver. It was a light peacock blue in color and glittered like diamonds in the glare of our torches. We filled a small box with bits chipped off this pillar of ore, but it was so heavy we could hardly lift it. Finally we went on further into the cave. Nearly five hundred feet from the entrance we entered a big arched room, the walls of which shone like polished silver. Its roof was supported by three transparent, crystal pillars, each about the diameter of a salt-barrel. The floor and part of the walls were a light blue, shimmering mineral. We thought we had found our eternal fortunes. Presently we noticed that when we got on the other side of the crystal pillars, our torches died down and almost went out. We got scared and hurries back to the mouth of the cave. When we reached the open air I fell down in a heap and was not able to move my legs. Henry kneeled over in a sort of faint and Dempsey commenced to talk wild and raving. The boy we had left to wait for us at the cave"s mouth ran for help and finally we were all carried back to the camp."

Henry's condition grew so serious that he was taken to a hospital at Carthage, Mo., where he lay for weeks before recovery. Henry collapsed and sores like burns broke out all over his body. Paralysis finally ended in his death. Henry went back, when he got well, to work his "silver mine" but a quarrel over the title to the land drove him away, after he had blocked up and hidden the mouth of the cave. The story of the strange adventures of the three hunters spread by word of mouth among the Arkansas and Missouri hills and finally became one of the grim traditions of the Ozarks.

When Professor and Madame Curie discovered, in Paris, the wonder-working element, radium, word of its marvels finally penetrated the wilds of the mountains and came to the ears of James L. Leib, a prospector and self-taught geologist who has grown up in the hills about Bentonville and Rogers. He had heard of the death-dealing cave and, at once, associated it with the terrible powers of the new element.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I took my cat to the vet this morning for a checkup (he was attacked by 3 coyotes a few weeks ago but is ok!). When I was parking, a lady in a white SUV came behind me and went to park on the other side of a few cars from me.
I was getting my cat out of my car when I heard tire screeching then a thud.

About 10 seconds later I would have been walking into that door. Shortly after the fire department showed up and were doing checks on the building. Thankfully no one was hurt and she hit that pillar after mixing up her pedals instead of going into the building where people were in the lobby. I hope the surveillance footage shows up in some compilation some day.

In 2012 a woman was killed by this same thing around the corner from where I was working. I heard all the sirens and what not.
https://patch.com/washington/renton/woman-killed-when-car-crashes-into-renton-business

I've seen plenty of videos of this but am kind of surprised at how frequently it happens if I've had it occur twice near me in my boring life.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

wdarkk posted:

Were the horses ok?

Both horses are fine. The jockey, obviously, has a broken jaw.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AzureSkys posted:

mixing up her pedals

It shouldn't be, but it's truly insane to me how often this happens.

"Ahhh the car's going too fast/into a wall/through a building, I need to hit the brake but it's just making the car go faster! Ahhhhhh!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

lol if you posted:

Well, most of those fatal injuries came from one track.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Horse racing and in particular the steeple chase are garbage entertainment for moronic sadists

Also Greyhound racing and coursing

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
If people want to race stuff they should buy bikes or cars instead of abusing animals

But like with so many things for rich dudes, the abuse is the point

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If we could eat the horses I'd be ok with it but Americans are so prude

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
do those kids on the horses even get paid?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

If we could eat the horses I'd be ok with it but Americans are so prude
You don't want to eat those horses.

Horse racing, but the horses are edible and you eat the dead ones later that day, now we're tracking toward some sustainable horse racing.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'll be honest, I am kinda intrigued by horse sashimi.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

I'll be honest, I am kinda intrigued by horse sashimi.

It’s nothing special. They do it occasionally in restaurants in Japan. I strongly prefer salmon or mackerel.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Race horses can't be legally sold for meat, anyway. All pumped up with antibiotics and possibly anabolics, can't meet the food standards.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Grundulum posted:

It’s nothing special. They do it occasionally in restaurants in Japan. I strongly prefer salmon or mackerel.

Whale is another meat that I don't understand all the drama about. It's kinda lovely tasting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Default Settings posted:

Race horses can't be legally sold for meat, anyway. All pumped up with antibiotics and possibly anabolics, can't meet the food standards.

"Possibly" anabolics.