Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
bare concrete that looks good costs more than cheap laminate or carpet, so it's not necessarily a cost-saver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mustard_tiger posted:

I would rather have bare concrete than carpet imo.

Are you a caveman?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Polished, stained, and sealed concrete that’s made to look like marble with inlaid patterns can look really nice. You’d also need to have in floor heating installed in the concrete and liberal use of area rugs. Even then, I’d personally never want in my house except *maybe* for an entry way if it fit the house design.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Qwijib0 posted:

bare concrete that looks good costs more than cheap laminate or carpet, so it's not necessarily a cost-saver.

The "looks good" part tends to be ignored though.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Youth Decay posted:

The "looks good" part tends to be ignored though.

And you do have to be careful with it, my local university used it in their new Engineering department, and the hosed up the sealing.

20% slip-prof, 80% ice rink. Good times.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have a look at modern hybrid vinyl planks, they’re really nice and can be mistaken for tile or wood until you really study it

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I lived in an apartment with a concrete floor once. My roommate managed to gently caress it up by sliding his computer chair around aggressively enough. Like, I don't even know how. It was one thing when he hosed up the cheap wood flooring at our last place; I have no idea how he did that to concrete with a plastic rolling chair.

Thankfully I moved out long before he did and if they ever charged for damages, I wasn't on the hook.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Youth Decay posted:

The "trend" of apartments/houses with bare concrete floors is in the same category as the "trend" of open shelving/no upper cabinets, it's just a way for builders to save money.

Ugh, open cabinets can suck a dick.

I assume anyone with open cabinets just never Cooks, cause how else do you avoid grease and dust getting in every nook and cranny, all over your dishes?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Youth Decay posted:

The "trend" of apartments/houses with bare concrete floors is in the same category as the "trend" of open shelving/no upper cabinets, it's just a way for builders to save money.

See also: excessive "open concept".

Minimal and blocky trim work is another cost saver. Detailed wainscoting would require an actual carpenter/craftsman to build, not someone hired to do some basic framing.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Easy targets in this one.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/00-Met-Calfe-Rd-Mountain-Rest-SC-29664/2087177675_zpid/

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I assume anyone with open cabinets just never Cooks, cause how else do you avoid grease and dust getting in every nook and cranny, all over your dishes?

My parents bought a beach house a few years ago, and remodeling the kitchen was on the "to do", but waited two years. Removing the lovely open cabinet was on the list of the first five things. We even had to remove the extra lovely dividers. Dad made windowed doors to as a stop gap. Look at this. So gross. If you're thinking "hey, there's no way to clean the middle", you're right!

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Bees on Wheat posted:

I lived in an apartment with a concrete floor once. My roommate managed to gently caress it up by sliding his computer chair around aggressively enough. Like, I don't even know how. It was one thing when he hosed up the cheap wood flooring at our last place; I have no idea how he did that to concrete with a plastic rolling chair.

Thankfully I moved out long before he did and if they ever charged for damages, I wasn't on the hook.

Concrete can chip and scratch without a huge effort, especially if you have some small stones or other grit being ground into it by the castors of a computer chair holding a 150-250 lb human. Then the concrete that gets broken up turns into more grit, rinse and repeat.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nevets posted:

I wonder if in 50 years we'll have houses with tiny bathrooms with wireless signal jammers, floors covered with inch thick silicone, and every wall made from quadruple pane smartglass.

I told my wife that when someone buys our house 30 years down the line, they'll be saying, "Oh, poo poo, it's got those awful granite countertops everyone had to have in the 2010s. Those are gonna have to go."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That's now lol. Quartz is the new granite.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Granite's nice I guess but gently caress paying 100-200€/m2 for a countertop.

e: Especially considering granite is loving everywhere.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I like stainless, granite hides flours etc too well

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I personally hate most granite counter tops and have always thought they will date poorly. When redoing the kitchen however I ended up with some granite around the sink! I wanted solid wood for most of it, but wood always does poorly around a sink so wanted a small section of stone. Went to a local stone place and looked through their offcuts and spare bits and found a really nice piece of honed dark granite that is barely sparkly and has a nice matt texture to it, looks more like slate. Turns out not all granite is bad, but most of what I have seen looks pretty naff to me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wasabi the J posted:

That's now lol. Quartz is the new granite.

Quartz is nice to actually use though, unlike granite

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I like stainless, granite hides flours etc too well

Right? Ideally my kitchen would be like a commercial one. Stainless counters, maybe a center island that's a large butcher block, tile floor w/ floor drain, REAL hood that is strong and actually exhausts outside.

Though I'll admit the problem there is that in commercial kitchens they basically DO have open shelving, after a fashion. Generally the only things with doors are coolers, ovens, warming trays, etc...Since they need to access things quickly and, as needed, just remove everything and hose it all down periodically.

So since I don't think I'll ever have the money to go full commercial, I'll have to figure something else out. I'm pondering full butcher block everywhere, though Ebola Dog's mention of doing stone near the sink to protect the wood is a good idea.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My boomer folks finally achieved their dream of an all granite kitchen a couple years ago. I think it's ugly and looks worse than a lot of nicer laminate counters.

Personally I'd want to go with something smooth and white like a nice synthetic. My folks say granite is good because the sparkles and strong grain "hide dirt". Um, you don't want to hide dirt in a loving kitchen. Give me stark medical white so I always know my counters are clean and pure.

People seem to love to have overhanging granite too, which often leads to this.

Stone is not known for its high tensile strength.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 21, 2019

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

So what, now it's a live edge counter top.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Give me stark medical white so I always know my counters are clean and pure.

Bright white materials like that look too much like a bathroom countertop, to me.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

sleepy gary posted:

So what, now it's a live edge counter top.

can grate your cheese on it too

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

People seem to love to have overhanging granite too, which often leads to this.

Stone is not known for its high tensile strength.

The standard recommendation for 3cm granite is a max 8 inch overhang, up to 10 inches with certain stones. That picture looks cantilevered out way more than 8", and no supports underneath.

There's no way I'd go more than a few inches for an island, considering people and/or kids love to sit or pull on the edge.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I love living on constant fear of things staining my $50/sf counter tops.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

When I bought my new house the kitchen countertops were advertised as 'green marble' but I think they are actually a kind of serpentine. The quarry is less than 50 miles away, give or take, so I'm pretty certain I made a bologna sandwich this morning on a slab of gemstone :v:

Stock photo, but looks identical to mine.

http://www.vtverde.com/

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
my fave thing about granite countertops are that they often offgas radon and the granite industry absolutely refuses to acknowledge it or offer any sort of testing because there’s no legal requirement to do so and independent testing has found examples that are straight-up hazardous if not used in very well-ventilated spaces and there’s no way to verify that your granite countertops aren’t giving you lung cancer aside from testing after you’ve bought and installed the things

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nevets posted:

When I bought my new house the kitchen countertops were advertised as 'green marble' but I think they are actually a kind of serpentine. The quarry is less than 50 miles away, give or take, so I'm pretty certain I made a bologna sandwich this morning on a slab of gemstone :v:

Stock photo, but looks identical to mine.

http://www.vtverde.com/

Sounds like a win to me?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Yeah, according to the quarry's website they are better than granite in every respect.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Baronjutter posted:

Personally I'd want to go with something smooth and white like a nice synthetic. My folks say granite is good because the sparkles and strong grain "hide dirt". Um, you don't want to hide dirt in a loving kitchen. Give me stark medical white so I always know my counters are clean and pure.

Part of the problem with synthetics is that they often require careful cleaning and sometimes special cleaning chemicals, or various other treatments so they don't lose their lustre. A hard stone is less maintenance heavy and gives less of a gently caress about what you do to it.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Ambrose Burnside posted:

my fave thing about granite countertops are that they often offgas radon and the granite industry absolutely refuses to acknowledge it or offer any sort of testing because there’s no legal requirement to do so and independent testing has found examples that are straight-up hazardous if not used in very well-ventilated spaces and there’s no way to verify that your granite countertops aren’t giving you lung cancer aside from testing after you’ve bought and installed the things

Well that’s the most wildly paranoid thing I’ve read all day.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Good thing I smoke like 5 cigs a week to kill me a tiny bit faster then granite

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm honestly a little baffled by this refrain.

I've been living with a "temporary" kitchen for 18 months now and it has literally no cabinets, everything is open, because it's just counters sat on sawhorses. I have had zero problems with aerosolised grease.

Here's a pot with a fine layer of sawdust from some nearby carpentry I've been doing. I swiped a finger through it for you, no grease what so ever. The lid won't need more than a rinse or a wipe with a dry paper towel before use.

Note how close it's stored to my induction hob, where I cook burgers and sausages and eggs etc. There's some direct splatter you can see on the wall where a backsplash would be, and that same direct splatter is present on the *side* of the pot and would need wiping off before use, but no part of that same pot or any other pot, pan, utensil, or crockery in the kitchen has any grease on it outside of the direct line of fire.

Is it possible that the problem, such that it exists at all, is created by people having recirculating faux extractor fans pulling in drops of grease and blasting them through a spinning blade, before firing them back into the kitchen?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

framing looks pretty good. I'm not so sure about some of the structural elements, but if a PE signed off on them, I'd be fine with it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Is the disco ball to code?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Load bearing funk

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bees on Wheat posted:

I have no idea how he did that to concrete with a plastic rolling chair.

By being filthy. If the floor is clean this won't happen. If you keep picking up/dolling over dirt it's gonna destroy pretty much anything you are rolling around on.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

Load bearing funk

Mods? Change my name to this or the thread title. Either way please.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ambrose Burnside posted:

1st question:
Is this actually supported by anything citable?

2nd question:
Can I download an app to turn my phone into a geiger counter or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Basically all granite contains uranium and thorium, which produce radon. Does it matter? Depends on if you ask the producers of alternative materials or not.