Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
LOL @ not reinstalling your OS every week.

Is there even a Reinstall that could possibly EVEN TOUCH a Weekly Reinstall? Let alone defeat him.

And I’m not talking about Edo Tensei Reinstall. No, I’m not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Reinstall. Hell, I’m not talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Reinstall either. I’m talking about Kono Yo no Kyuseishu Futarime no Rikudo Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Reinstall with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan (which is capable of Enton Amaterasu, Izanagi, Izanami and the Tsyukuyomi Genjutsu), his two original Rinnegan (which grant him Chikushodo, Shurado, Tendo, Ningendo, Jigokudo, Gakido, Gedo, Bansho Ten'in, Chibaku Tensei, Shinra Tensei, Tengai Shinsei and Banbutsu Sozo) and a third Tomoe Rinnegan on his forehead, capable of using Katon, Futon, Raiton, Doton, Suiton, Mokuton, Ranton, Inton, Yoton and even Onmyoton Jutsu, equipped with his Gunbai (capable of using Uchihagaeshi) and a Shakujo because he is a master in kenjutsu and taijutsu, a perfect Susano'o (that can use Yasaka no Magatama ), control of both the Juubi and the Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA and face implanted on his chest, his four Rinbo Hengoku Clones guarding him and nine Gudodama floating behind him AFTER he absorbed Senjutsu from the First Hokage, entered Rikudo Senjutsu Mode, cast Mugen Tsukuyomi on everybody and used Shin: Jukai Kotan so he can use their Chakra while they are under Genjutsu. Fresh Reinstall. Every Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Im_Special posted:

Is there even a Reinstall that could possibly EVEN TOUCH a Weekly Reinstall? Let alone defeat him.

And I’m not talking about Edo Tensei Reinstall. No, I’m not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Reinstall. Hell, I’m not talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Reinstall either. I’m talking about Kono Yo no Kyuseishu Futarime no Rikudo Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Reinstall with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan (which is capable of Enton Amaterasu, Izanagi, Izanami and the Tsyukuyomi Genjutsu), his two original Rinnegan (which grant him Chikushodo, Shurado, Tendo, Ningendo, Jigokudo, Gakido, Gedo, Bansho Ten'in, Chibaku Tensei, Shinra Tensei, Tengai Shinsei and Banbutsu Sozo) and a third Tomoe Rinnegan on his forehead, capable of using Katon, Futon, Raiton, Doton, Suiton, Mokuton, Ranton, Inton, Yoton and even Onmyoton Jutsu, equipped with his Gunbai (capable of using Uchihagaeshi) and a Shakujo because he is a master in kenjutsu and taijutsu, a perfect Susano'o (that can use Yasaka no Magatama ), control of both the Juubi and the Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA and face implanted on his chest, his four Rinbo Hengoku Clones guarding him and nine Gudodama floating behind him AFTER he absorbed Senjutsu from the First Hokage, entered Rikudo Senjutsu Mode, cast Mugen Tsukuyomi on everybody and used Shin: Jukai Kotan so he can use their Chakra while they are under Genjutsu. Fresh Reinstall. Every Time.

Somewhere along the way through that I started reading that in the voice of that fast talking salesman character that Johnny Carson used to do.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Im_Special posted:

I don’t understand most of the words in this post, yet I’m strangely entertained by it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DVD INTO THE TRAY. ITS WINDOWS 10 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START REINSTALLING ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORTANA. I DO EVERY STEP AND I DO EVERY STEP HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN ON THE NEXT BUTTON OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP PARTITIONS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY READ THE GALAXYS LONGEST EULA. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE CLAUSES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING DRIVERS EVERY MORNIng

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 14, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don’t stop, I’m almost done.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Every time I update my AMD video card drivers, the colour depth defaults to 10bpc and I have to squint through a synthwave hell to change it back to 8. Is there any way to get it to correctly auto-detect my monitor?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

repiv posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DVD INTO THE TRAY. ITS WINDOWS 10 AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START REINSTALLING ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORTANA. I DO EVERY STEP AND I DO EVERY STEP HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN ON THE NEXT BUTTON OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP PARTITIONS. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY READ THE GALAXYS LONGEST EULA. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE CLAUSES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING DRIVERS EVERY MORNIng

gently caress yes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

All your DVDs are exactly where you left them.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

repiv posted:

Only 2 hours? You're not even trying man. Clearly, your haphazardly updating the installer disk every 6 months when a new feature update comes out, a real computer cleanse takes hours for Windows to carefully calculate each and every update your system needs. True reinstallians know that the cleansing and refreshment ritual must be performed using only the most pure, original RTM build. And unless you have a tin foil condom for your wifi antenna you better get that back stabbing spy Cortana off of your PC.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I wonder how long it would take the average person to read the average number of EULAs they use in a given year.

We need the equivalent of a GNU standard EULA.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

i was slippin into the office had on my jeans and my sweatshirt had a little general tsos sauce on it i didnt give a gently caress. i walked up to a fine rear end coworker. her loving computer was barely running beneath all of her apps. i could see the loving shortcuts caked across every inch of her desktop. her god drat backup image was overloaded and she didnt even care. i walked up, slapped the loving image stick out of her hand. the office manager came up to me. i reinstalled it. i clean reinstalled right then and there. they were all watching me reinstall the os but my eyes never left the progress bar. i finished a local account then just left. i moonwalked backwards and said your files are just where you left them.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

more please

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I wonder how long it would take the average person to read the average number of EULAs they use in a given year.

We need the equivalent of a GNU standard EULA.

I mean the whole reason the GNU standard EULA is so repeatable is because it's primarily about protecting the rights of the users. The purpose of the majority of EULAs is to protect the power of the corporation. The two are fundamentally opposed considerations so any attempt at standardising would invariably be "The Standard Corporate EULA*

* changes for paragraphs 3,4,9,17subsection3" etc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I could live with a standard corporate EULA at this point. It would be one less piece of discovery if nothing else.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I could live with a standard corporate EULA at this point. It would be one less piece of discovery if nothing else.

You have somehow interpreted the literal opposite of what I actually said.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Man, just piss off with the cargo cult bullshit. It and its counter arguments poo poo up this thread like every three pages.

Start your own friggin' thread, please. This horse is hosting maggots, it's so dead.

PSA my rear end...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

You have somehow interpreted the literal opposite of what I actually said.

I don't think I did. I understand that the open source's proposed EULA is geared more to protect users than the service provider, and that most corporate EULAs are the opposite. My slightly tongue-in-cheek conjecture is that I would prefer to have only one protect-the-corporation EULA to understand, rather than dozens or hundreds of them.

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
This is a Flash question, but I need something that runs on Win10, so it could kinda be a Windows software question I guess,,, and I couldn't find a Flash thread ;>) . How do you view Flash websites in 2019?

My usual Edge/Firefox/Chrome browsers are all up to date. I remember reading some time ago about how Chrome & then the other browsers said they'd no longer support the Flash plugin. I specifically remember a Firefox update telling me that Flash was going bye-bye.

Occasionally I run across a China product manufacturer's website that is still 100% flash however. I get the website address off of the printed boxes of stuff I buy online.
In the past 2-3 years I've seen at least a half-dozen Chinese company websites that were still heavily using Flash....
WTH do those people use to look at it?

I could install an older version of Firefox that still had a plugin and then get the plugin, but I'm wondering if there is any other way.... Like some online site that can mirror a Flash page to HTML5 maybe?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Chrome > site settings > flash > ask first
That'll enable a prompt to run the flash content.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chaturbate can't move to HTML5 quick enough.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Just lol that it isn't already. That's kinda unbelievable.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I had a gaming laptop die on me and I'm trying to strip it for parts for my older laptop that's probably on its last legs. I want swap its larger HDD into the older laptop's and reinstall Windows onto it. I plugged it in under the expectation that Windows wouldn't boot and I could mess around with the boot order in the BIOS, and to my surprise, it just loaded Windows as if it was the original gaming laptop. This wasn't exactly what I had in mind, because I definitely want a clean install.

The first thing I tried was using the refresh tool and wiping all the data. Is the "Getting a few things ready" phase supposed to take hours? I decided to kill the process because it was getting pretty loving hot and I don't want to test the aging hardware. Would reinstalling Windows 10 from boot media give me different results?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Is it, perhaps, a 5200rpm HDD?
Updates and resets can indeed take forever on one of those.
Windows 10 just moves too many files these days in either operation, making an SSD an almost necessity.
A straight install will be quicker, but a couple of updates down the road and each will take ages again.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

Is it, perhaps, a 5200rpm HDD?
Updates and resets can indeed take forever on one of those.
Windows 10 just moves too many files these days in either operation, making an SSD an almost necessity.
A straight install will be quicker, but a couple of updates down the road and each will take ages again.

My current thinking is to hook the drive up as an external to my desktop, format it, and then use the install media.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Did you know you can now change your cursor color if you go into mouse settings? Yes, yes, I know you could add custom cursor themes forever. But this is a nice baked in feature.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

codo27 posted:

Did you know you can now change your cursor color if you go into mouse settings? Yes, yes, I know you could add custom cursor themes forever. But this is a nice baked in feature.

Mine still just gives me white, black, inverted.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Inverted you say 😘

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I love inverted; maximum visibility no matter where it is on the screen. What could possibly make more sense?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

AnimalChin posted:

Mine still just gives me white, black, inverted.

Are you on 1903? Search mouse, go into mouse settings, click additional mouse settings under related on the right. You should have white/black/inverted and then a color wheel.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I love inverted; maximum visibility no matter where it is on the screen. What could possibly make more sense?

I like my mouse pointer small and black and having to move the mouse around quickly to catch the motion out of the corner of my eye to see where it is across two HD screens. :colbert:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey is there a good program(s) anyone can recommend to sort the poo poo out of all of my old mp3s?

I stream a lot of things these days, but I also have an old collection of songs that at one time or another iTunes or something else has messed up the naming of them and I've ended up with:
  • duplicates in the same folder
  • misnamed duplicates in different folders
  • incorrectly tagged songs
  • incorrectly tagged songs from compilations that are now split over a dozen different folders
and I'd like to put them in order before I migrate them to my NAS.

I think I've used musicbrains picard a few years back, I liked what it could do for some of the less obscure tracks, but I have a feeling it hosed up some of the others when I got impatient and just pointed it at the whole music folder.

Even something to just identify the duplicates and deal with them by following some set rules. Some of the few bits of software I've tried over the last few years still made me manually review each 'suggested dupe'.

Any ideas of what else I could try?

hambeet fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 21, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mediamonkey was one.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hmm, I'm positive I've tried that in the past, but I don't think it was for very long. I can't remember why exactly, so I'll fire it up and give it another shot. Thanks for the reminder.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Is it possible to use two dropbox accounts on a single machine? I have my corporate account on my work PC, but I'd like to have my personal account on there as well. Reading around it seems this is possible, but it's not 100% clear to me that the accounts stay truly separate (I do not want them to sync in any way).

I realize this isn't specifically a Windows question, but I'm working in Windows and it seemed like the best match.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yes, it’s completely separate. I do it at work and it’s separate folders and the whole nine yards.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Because it's not super obvious, the method is to log into dropbox.com on the business account, then select Connect > Connect your personal Dropbox

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

hambeet posted:

I think I've used musicbrains picard a few years back, I liked what it could do for some of the less obscure tracks, but I have a feeling it hosed up some of the others when I got impatient and just pointed it at the whole music folder.

FWIW you might want to try musicbrainz Picard again. I used it a long time ago too and I though it worked great with the sole exception that it seemed to favor compilations instead of albums by the artist... like it would put a song in “Jock Jams” rather than keep it in the full “ace of bass” album I had or whatever.

I checked it out more recently and that issue was specifically noted as an improvement or fix on there site.

Aside from that wrinkle, it worked really well and I was amazed given how crappy my mp3 collection was.

Only other thing I can think of is give it enough time because it takes foooooorever due to the throttling it does to not hit the free song ID database it uses.

If anyone else has used it recently I’d like to hear their experience. I’ve wanted to run it again but haven’t found the time yet

Good luck!

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

What's the goon recommended software for doing a partition recovery on a drive (preferably free)? I have a drive where the main NTFS boot partition is reading as raw now but I'd like to recovery this if possible.

Edit: I used testdisk and it seems the partition table is fine, and so is the boot sector. It appears to be the MFT that is corrupted which testdisk can't fix and I can't run the Windows chkdsk because it doesn't work on RAW type.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 27, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Testdisk was a godsend for me like ten years ago, and it's still in active development. There is a GUI version now, which they did not have when I used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I just made a USB flash Windows 10 install drive. I want my SSD in my soon-to-be desktop build to be my boot drive, but I'll also have an HDD for back-up storage.

I'm guessing that I should wait to actually hook up the HDD until _after_ I've booted the computer for the first time and installed Windows 10 on the SSD, right?

A couple of related questions:

- If I do that, turn off the computer, hook up the HDD, and then turn it back on, do I need to do anything special for Windows to recognize the HDD (assuming there's not a drivers issue or whatever)? Or will it just pop up as another drive?

- Will I need to do anything to prevent Windows 10 from trying to treat the HDD as the boot drive?