Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Use windows for gaming like a normal dude lmao cmon man

Only until Windows 7 end of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

real men play morrowind on os/2

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
BeOS is what you use when you have achieved CHIM.

I ARE ALL BE

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

real men play morrowind on os/2

TribunalTempleOS

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
https://twitter.com/mjkarpinski/status/1160196028596989952?s=19

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hooboy someone gotta figure out the back path pretty soon I think

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I asked this before, but is there a mod that lets you use the alchemy table from Uvirith's Legacy without being a Telvanni, I wanna check out Hlaalu for once and it's with a sneaky assassin character who doesn't use a lot of magic, but I still want to abuse potions without having to prioritize strength to carry all the ingredients around.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Humanity has seen this message thousands of times by now, I don't think we're gonna be reloading that save guys

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I hosed up on the character creation screen so I’m all in on restarting this worlds game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hm, if only there was some kind of back door route to victory by, say, invading the palaces of our rulers and turning their weapons against them through our own labour

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Don't kill fatsos in basements.

It's our only hope.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

hm, if only there was some kind of back door route to victory by, say, invading the palaces of our rulers and turning their weapons against them through our own labour

Vavrek posted:

Don't kill fatsos in basements.

It's our only hope.

lmao

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Skwirl posted:

I asked this before, but is there a mod that lets you use the alchemy table from Uvirith's Legacy without being a Telvanni, I wanna check out Hlaalu for once and it's with a sneaky assassin character who doesn't use a lot of magic, but I still want to abuse potions without having to prioritize strength to carry all the ingredients around.

There's about a billion sorters out there, but "alchemy storage helper" lets you carry all the ingredients you could ever want and is what I use. YMMV though, it is a bit cheaty feeling and can cause problems with a few food mods (on account of food being ingredients).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Crossposting from the Elder Scrolls discussion thread:

Cantorsdust posted:

Help me thread: I have always wanted to explain Morrowind to my wife, but she wouldn't have the patience to sit down and play the game for herself. I'm looking for a Let's Play of Morrowind that would ideally be:
1) Video, not screenshot, ideally HD if possible
2) Complete--at least the main quest plus some of the faction questlines
3) Ideally would include some discussion of the weird lore

Does anyone have suggestions on an LP that covers this?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

there's almost no way experiencing morrowind secondhand would be interesting

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

there's almost no way experiencing morrowind secondhand would be interesting

There was a blog I used to read like a thousand years ago at work, something Arwen. A blog from a first time player of almost any rpg at all. It was a very cool and good read and went all the way through Morrowind, Oblivion, and into Skyrim and later Fallout. Good stuff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I remember that blog, don't remember exactly was it was called either tho lol

agree, for the first experience Morrowind definitely has to be played, imo as blind as possible.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Cantorsdust posted:

If you absolutely need a Let's Play, I did a video one years ago which goes through the main quest. Some others (including a few posters here) went through parts of the other questlines. I think there's a few things I don't get 100% lore-wise, but it does cover some of the different narratives behind the Morrowind backstory.

https://lparchive.org/Morrowind/

I do agree with the above posters that a main quest LP is not the most representative Morrowind experience. Heck, most of that is ignoring the main quest entirely and going off exploring on your own.

Edit: Oh yeah I should probably warn you, that LP is extremely 2011. You'll see what I mean if you watch it.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 20, 2019

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

chaosapiant posted:

There was a blog I used to read like a thousand years ago at work, something Arwen. A blog from a first time player of almost any rpg at all. It was a very cool and good read and went all the way through Morrowind, Oblivion, and into Skyrim and later Fallout. Good stuff.

Babe Magnet posted:

I remember that blog, don't remember exactly was it was called either tho lol

agree, for the first experience Morrowind definitely has to be played, imo as blind as possible.

http://arweneve.50webs.com/

Is this it?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ullillillia LP

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That's it! I wonder if I re-read it now if I'd cringe. I was only in my late 20s the first time I read it, but it seemed fine. It was fun because it's from the viewpoint of her character being clueless in Vvardenfell, but also a player clueless about Morrowind/RPGs in general.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

ullillillia LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qdcA3zrD6w

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've picked this game up again for the first time in at least 7 years. I used to be pretty heavily into making mods back in 2007-2009ish and was involved in Tamriel Rebuilt. Mostly I made Daedric and Dwemer ruins, with my two best being Yashazmus near Port Telvannis and Nchazdrumn between Tel Mothrivra and Llothanis. Before I joined TR I also made a couple of quest mods, but I'm at work so I'll look them up and link them later.

I've always told people I think Morrowind was the best Elder Scrolls game and that has only been reaffirmed over the past week. The depth of the storylines and the amount of content available blows away Oblivion and even Skyrim isn't on the same level. Obviously those games look a lot better (especially Skyrim) but even with a fairly limited selection of graphical mods Morrowind is still eminently playable in 2019 with the biggest problem being the combat system.

I never really had the opportunity to play through Tamriel Rebuilt back when I was working on it as even the Telvanni Isles weren't properly populated with quests at that point. I've just finished playing through the Old Ebonheart thieves guild quest line and it's fantastic. TR may never be finished but what has been made achieves the goal of feeling like an expansion of the original game, not a mod.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ah, the wonders of early oughties websites, when the content was spread over a dozen different free hosts because they all had a quota of like 50 mb.

Oblivion journal: unsecured page warning
Morrowind journal: domain name not found
My avatar: 404
White mountains: Geocities
etc.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One small thing that did a lot to make Morrowind feel more real was how, aside from guards and a few other exceptions, almost every character had an actual name even completely hostile criminals in a cave somewhere.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

One small thing that did a lot to make Morrowind feel more real was how, aside from guards and a few other exceptions, almost every character had an actual name even completely hostile criminals in a cave somewhere.

Yeah that definitely helps. I remember being disappointed when that wasn't the case in Oblivion.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah that definitely helps. I remember being disappointed when that wasn't the case in Oblivion.
Yeah, it's weird that they stopped doing that honestly. It's not like running a themed name generator would be that much work, and it adds so much.

I guess maybe it's because people expect named characters to be plot important? But since they made everyone who's even vaguely notable immortal in Oblivion that seems like a poor reason.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Cantorsdust posted:

i stumbled across this one some years back and may be what youre looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0wxy7mFos

takes a couple episodes to get started but the guy does it mostly in character, no reaction cam, and edits out most downtime while sticking (mostly) with just main quest stuff and dabbling with house redoran on the side and no heated gamer moments during it

there's also follow up series for tribunal and blood moon

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think part of it is that the difference in names of generic guys indicates level differences. Bandit Outlaw is lower level than Bandit Maurader, which is important information for whether or not certain spells work. Of course there are plenty of ways to get around that, you could have bracketed numbers or a color coding system.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I would watch a 100% completion LP of Morrowind, but I've not been able find one. There's one for Oblivion, but the player is slightly annoying and doesn't seem to be very good at the game (made worse by playing it at max difficulty). It's also, as of this post, unfinished.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ofecks posted:

I would watch a 100% completion LP of Morrowind, but I've not been able find one. There's one for Oblivion, but the player is slightly annoying and doesn't seem to be very good at the game (made worse by playing it at max difficulty). It's also, as of this post, unfinished.

You'd need to do multiple characters or something for a 100% Morrowind LP, there's a poo poo ton of mutually exclusive quests. Like, you can only join one of the houses, the different guilds don't have the friendliest relationships, etc.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Skwirl posted:

You'd need to do multiple characters or something for a 100% Morrowind LP, there's a poo poo ton of mutually exclusive quests. Like, you can only join one of the houses, the different guilds don't have the friendliest relationships, etc.

i've given thought to doing a 100% video let's play of morrowind. my process for doing things that clash would be to make a separate save before starting a given quest line that clashes with something else, and then reverting to that save after completing said line to do whatever it clashes with, with the second line being my main one. so for example when it came to great houses, i'd make a save, join hlaalu, complete it, revert the save, do redoran, revert, do telvanni and stick with that. same thing goes for individual quests that clash, like trebonius' absurd final quest, or much of the fighter's guild stuff, etc.

if i ever do this, it won't be until my current let's play of kerbal space program is done, and i haven't even started editing that let alone post it so it'd be...a while.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

In vanilla Morrowind (without the unofficial patch), you can join two houses through a small glitch. Start with Redoran or Telvanni, kill Orvas Dren as part of the Thieves Guild questline, and then talk to Vedam Dren (IIRC) and you get promoted in House Hlaalu, which gives you membership in it.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

like trebonius' absurd final quest, or much of the fighter's guild stuff, etc.
You can generally avoid having to do this kind of things.

Most of the quests that requires you murdering people can be completed without murders, or prevented from being given.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cat Mattress posted:

In vanilla Morrowind (without the unofficial patch), you can join two houses through a small glitch. Start with Redoran or Telvanni, kill Orvas Dren as part of the Thieves Guild questline, and then talk to Vedam Dren (IIRC) and you get promoted in House Hlaalu, which gives you membership in it.

you cannot actually complete hlaalu if you do this though.

Cat Mattress posted:

You can generally avoid having to do this kind of things.

Most of the quests that requires you murdering people can be completed without murders, or prevented from being given.

yes but if you're doing a 100% let's play, ie showing off all the quests in the game, you'd have to do them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yes but if you're doing a 100% let's play, ie showing off all the quests in the game, you'd have to do them.

Take a quest like the one to silence Tongue-Toad. Why would the path where you just kill him would be more of a 100% run than the one where you go see Percy Mercy in Ald'ruhn and then pretend your target fled?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I just saw this Skywind gameplay video, I think it’s new: https://youtu.be/O85xF9lzgTg Looks pretty slick.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i've given thought to doing a 100% video let's play of morrowind. my process for doing things that clash would be to make a separate save before starting a given quest line that clashes with something else, and then reverting to that save after completing said line to do whatever it clashes with, with the second line being my main one. so for example when it came to great houses, i'd make a save, join hlaalu, complete it, revert the save, do redoran, revert, do telvanni and stick with that. same thing goes for individual quests that clash, like trebonius' absurd final quest, or much of the fighter's guild stuff, etc.

if i ever do this, it won't be until my current let's play of kerbal space program is done, and i haven't even started editing that let alone post it so it'd be...a while.

Make it a narrative LP where the different outcomes are dragon breaks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

raminasi posted:

I just saw this Skywind gameplay video, I think it’s new: https://youtu.be/O85xF9lzgTg Looks pretty slick.

One of the few finished areas being run on a supercomputer because framerate is near zero otherwise

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

thank god it would be trivial to remove all of the voice acting. Especially that voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao