Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

Depends on what you want them for. Personally I just need a shoe that has no cushioning and good stability. But I like to splurge on my gym gear and bought nike metcons.

Metcons are more comfortable than chucks and you can occasionally find them on clearance

bomb fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

how do i balance leg days with regularly playing basketball now?

gently caress, 1/3 of my body is either pushed/pulled/definitely not sprinting legs

This is why I do kettlebells

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

I need some good ab exercises besides cable crunches, situps, and ab-wheel. I tried doing situps on a decline with weight but that poo poo starts to stress my lower back after the first few sets.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jove Tone posted:

I need some good ab exercises besides cable crunches, situps, and ab-wheel. I tried doing situps on a decline with weight but that poo poo starts to stress my lower back after the first few sets.

Surely that's enough.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Im not going to add more stuff on to all that. I want to replace them with new stuff.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Landmine twists will rock the obliques.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

hanging windshield wipers

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
V-up and candlestick are what I've been doing

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Thanks, I had to google all of those cause I thought you guys were just making up wacky sounding poo poo.
They all look good, gonna try them out after work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jove Tone posted:

Weighted carries.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

this hotel gym is the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Jove Tone posted:

Thanks, I had to google all of those cause I thought you guys were just making up wacky sounding poo poo.

reverse dustbin sweep is my fave

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

that's a mirror

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

its not really bad unless it has a smith machine that nobody has ever used

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Walks in to hotel gym. Is just a tiny carpeted room with one dusty exercise bike and a janky cable machine with a single attachment like a velcro leg cuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in Israel once and lol I should have taken a picture of this “gym”.

Might have been one of the worst ones I’ve seen.

I didn’t look like it had ever been used.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm on vacation the week of Labor Day and our hotel gym has the standard treadmill/elliptical and a single universal tower/machine thing. Thankfully there's a full fledged gym right across the street that offers day passes so if I feel the need to lift I'm covered

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

UnfurledSails posted:

its not really bad unless it has a smith machine that nobody has ever used

my dude there was one machine and I legit thought that's what it was but I went back down and it was actually an okay cable cross. didn't have anything but basic handles which sucks but still better than nothing. there were 2 treadmills, a single 7 kg dumbbell, and an absolutely pristine C2 rower.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Jove Tone posted:

Dead Bugs, done correctly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg7cbsVP7cc

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Ran 5 in the am, gonna run 8 in the pm and do 50 pushups and some planks.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

At first I was astonished you would offer this lame rear end dead grandma senior center exercise thursday bullshit.

And then I got home and actually tried it out and its really really hard.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm guessing you don't know Calgary Barbell, or you'd have known it was legit from the start. Great channel.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
He's an equipped powerlifter lol he sucks

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
but enough about what your mom said about him

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I don't like making GBS threads on equipped powerlifters or anything, but I just don't...get it

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Apparently it's a lot more technique driven or whatever. So I understand it I guess. I mean, there's more technique to sperg out over, more equipment, etc. Basically just think of it as a nerd thing for meatheads. Plus equipped was like the default to begin with.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Apparently it's a lot more technique driven or whatever. So I understand it I guess. I mean, there's more technique to sperg out over, more equipment, etc. Basically just think of it as a nerd thing for meatheads. Plus equipped was like the default to begin with.

I really don't think that the first group of people to agree on a set of rules and see who could bench and/or deadlift and/or squat the most did so using specialized supportive equipment.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

I stay "equipped" at the gym if you know what I mean.

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

feelix posted:

He's an equipped powerlifter lol he sucks

He had the IPF unequipped world record for deadlift like three years ago so this makes me laugh

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

As a runner, this is a great exercise.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
gross ears

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Those gauges probably going to lead to some tats down the line then hes never gonne find a job

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm not taking advice from a guy who looks like that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That's a mirror haha

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Zzulu posted:

gross ears

Is this another core exercise?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I tweaked my knee (a tendon I think ) during squat on my 3rd and 4th sessions of starting strength. I can deadlift still but even bodyweight squats hurt it. It's better with some ice and ibuprofen but not healed. What leg exercises can I do in the meantime to make sure it doesn't happen again?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

redreader posted:

I tweaked my knee (a tendon I think ) during squat on my 3rd and 4th sessions of starting strength. I can deadlift still but even bodyweight squats hurt it. It's better with some ice and ibuprofen but not healed. What leg exercises can I do in the meantime to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Let it heal up and start at a lower squat weight and get your form down? 🤷🏻‍♂️

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Does it hurt it you sit in a chair and extend your leg out in front of you? If not maybe do some light leg extensions. Honestly if it’s injured and you cannot perform some movement then just don’t do that movement until you are healed. poo poo happens. Don’t injure yourself further.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

So I've been back into barbell and dumbbell training since the littles showed up a couple months ago and my elbow is healed up from the 10k swing challenge so I'm looking to wrap kettlebells into my barbell/dumbbell routines. I want to get back into heavy snatches and shoot for double 32kg clean+press and snatch. I'd also like to hit 48kg on my getups.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Warmup
3x10 Prying Goblet Squats
3x20 Kettlebell Halos
3x15 Weighted Glute Bridge
2x3 Turkish Getups

1) Barbell OHP - 5/3/1
* Barbell Rows
* Kettlebell Clean and Press
* Kettlebell Swings
* Dumbbell Curls

2) Barbell Deadlift - 5/3/1
* Chinups
* Kettlebell Renegade Rows
* Kettlebell Windmills
* Extra Getups

3) Barbell Bench Press - 5/3/1
* Dumbbell Bench Press
* Dips
* Tricep Pulldowns
* Kettlebell Snatches

4) Kettlebell Swings
* Barbell Squat - 5/3/1
* Leg Press
* Loaded Carry

I feel with the kettlebells I can do a higher volume than with dumbbell stuff as it's more fun to swing things around. I'm definitely open to suggestions if there is anything glaring missing.

bomb fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Pulled a personal best 345 lbs for 5 reps today on the deadlift. Hoping to hit 4 plates by the end of the year. Love deadlifting.