Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I was looking into this because it ticks a lot of boxes I’m looking for: emphasis on exploration, crafting and home decorating. I’m just worried because I’d like to just play it for free but everywhere I look people are saying it’s vital to get these monthly value packs and pets. Considering the cost I could just fire back up FF14 which defeats the whole point of getting into a free game.

I’m planning to play this maybe 30-40 minutes a night on weeknights and maybe an hour or two on Sat/Sun. Considering that, will I be able to enjoy my time without paying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Getsuya posted:

I was looking into this because it ticks a lot of boxes I’m looking for: emphasis on exploration, crafting and home decorating. I’m just worried because I’d like to just play it for free but everywhere I look people are saying it’s vital to get these monthly value packs and pets. Considering the cost I could just fire back up FF14 which defeats the whole point of getting into a free game.

I’m planning to play this maybe 30-40 minutes a night on weeknights and maybe an hour or two on Sat/Sun. Considering that, will I be able to enjoy my time without paying?

Wouldn't say is pay to win. Its pay to grind to win. If you dont want to wear a grey outfit than you have to pay around 25€ per outfit. And every outfits gives you bonuses. Like +10% more fight exp and stuff like that. Just try the game for free for 7 days and see if it is the right game for you. (And check the ingame shop! [F3])

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

outfits are reliably easy to get off the marketplace for 220 million grind dollars, just spam server/world chat with the outfit you want and someone will prob list it up.

the real big 'pay to play' thing is pets; you really need at the least 5 pets so not counting any free handouts that's $40-50 right there. then you're also obliged to get at least a couple of tier 3 pets because nearly the entire early to mid game of grinding involves high density high loot count spots and the more time you spend standing around pressing r to manually loot is less time you're spending making more loot appear. on top of that, there's a nominal amount of weight and inventory you want to pick up for your main grinder in order to at least hit an hour of grind comfortably without having to cut it short to manage your inventory.
you used to be able to coast for like 2~ months without having to buy a value pack but they recently changed it to 'provide more value' to the player and reduced that time to 14 days and a coupon for a value pack that you can't conserve for when you want to use it (lmao). You can get a 30 day one for 88m but it's a real crapshot since they've been doing costume discounts constantly for the last month or so so no one has been listing value packs.

also on the topic of when people say 'yeah this is a great game to play for an hour a day or so' i sort of disagree, namely because of the whole immersive no fast travel thing. i'm sure a lot of people who love the game enjoy that aspect but i have always and still think the travel time is poo poo and all it does for me personally is just elongate game chores i need to do just to get to a spot. it's this and the daily inventory managing from events and scrolls and just other assorted hourly stuff that really nickel and dime your time so that '1 hour' of playtime you wanted to capitalize on would usually take about 1.5 hours if you wanted to clear and organize everything out of the way before and after. it gets easier when you get to higher end spots (aakman/hystria, sycraia) since those spots you're encouraged and given the resources to stay there for much longer without having to go back.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Welp that answers my question. I’ll check out something else or maybe just get back into FF14 if I’m gonna spend money.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Getsuya posted:

I was looking into this because it ticks a lot of boxes I’m looking for: emphasis on exploration, crafting and home decorating.
Same. I sincerely wish there was a subscription only BDO without all the cash shop bullshit. You just hate to see it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The character creator and combat are the things that hook you for sure. Too bad about pretty much everything else.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

I guess it was a datamine rather than an actual teaser. Some shai class with boomerang + lantern as a weapons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L5VcxxzA2A

Finally I can be the little girl

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Another free pet to claim, can log into the BDO website and claim it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
So how is everyone enjoying being a little girl?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

LastGoodBoy posted:

So how is everyone enjoying being a little girl?

I made one just for the rewards (named 'Rewardz'), logged her in, got the rewards, then learned most of the rewards I wanted was locked specifically to that character and thus useless, and then deleted it.

Got all the enjoyment I could.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

That's too bad. The class has some clunk, but I'm having fun with it.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
It's got solid mob clearing and the healing is super strong. Can face tank a lot of mobs with ease.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Did they improve the goku class? I played that and had a lot of fun, but grinding forever isn't really my bag.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I think punchman had some buffs a couple patches ago? I've never played it so I don't know what the buffs meant/feel like, but they happened.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They apparently were huge in pve especially if you have good gear.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Welp that answers my question. I’ll check out something else or maybe just get back into FF14 if I’m gonna spend money.
FF14 is really good right now just FYI

Luxily
Aug 11, 2012

Chalkece posted:

Sad. I really hoped to play with like 200 goons BDO - But thanks for the infos

It was fun while it lasted. At Least the guild wars were fun.

Camping outside of safe zone.
https://i.imgur.com/WAOoLGM.jpg

The enemy:
https://i.imgur.com/BxU5kq1.jpg

Fighting
https://i.imgur.com/u8ZwrDw.jpg

Kill/Death count

https://i.imgur.com/T2y4tvv.jpg

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Anyone else feel like node wars kind of ruined PvP in this game? I miss when it was just guild wars and sudden open world PvP.

High on the hog, 90's style.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what about node wars do you think ruined pvp? because i'm currently in a siege guild and there's a healthy amount of the latter that happens weekly as well.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Futaba Anzu posted:

what about node wars do you think ruined pvp? because i'm currently in a siege guild and there's a healthy amount of the latter that happens weekly as well.

It's just too organized and static. Before node wars, random PvP happened a LOT more.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I think it's because the gear curve is infinite now, whereas early on once you hit level 55 and had +15 gear there was nothing to do but pvp

J
Jun 10, 2001

Also the bigger game world with more spots to grind makes it less necessary to fight people, unlike back in the vanilla/mediah era where there were 1 or 2 clear best spots that everyone dog piled into. Sausans was a short run from the towns most people based out of, making it easy for people to call in their buddies. Now you have multiple grind spots for every AP range that are all the way across the world from each other. By the time anyone could show up to join a fight you probably could have switched channels twice and likely found an empty spot anyway.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

But spontaneous PvP and spontaneous guild wars were fun. Nowadays 99% of PvP is just node wars.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

just start karma bombing a big guild and you'll be getting some spontaneous pvp real soon

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

just start karma bombing a big guild and you'll be getting some spontaneous pvp real soon

can confirm

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ZionestLord posted:

can confirm

Assuming this is zio I can back this up

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Karma bombing isn't real. You're thinking karma suicide.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

LastGoodBoy posted:

Karma bombing isn't real. You're thinking karma suicide.

Columba, is that you?

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Is there a goon presence in this game still?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Parks and Rec (link on OP still works) still probably has a dozen dudes in varying states of AFK

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

lurksion posted:

Parks and Rec (link on OP still works) still probably has a dozen dudes in varying states of AFK

Something like that. If you're talking about actual node wars or whatever, people who want to do that tend to flock to other guilds because the # of goons who actually stick to the grind long enough to have gear can be counted on like one hand.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Lifeskill update: September 4th!*

*Tbd

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Raioner posted:

Is there a goon presence in this game still?

gwrtheyrn posted:

There are maybe like 5-10 people that actually log in regularly and basically everyone does their own thing, and of those maybe 3 of us have the gear that would be needed for node warring except two of us can't due to schedules and you need like 30 minimum.

As for whether you want to play EU/NA, I can't answer that for you. I personally wouldn't just for the guild, but there are other reasons to go either way. I know nothing about any goon presence in EU. The only goon i know played on EU was ineptitude and i'm pretty sure he quit a long time ago

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

I realized today that the black desert ps4 version is out... Anyone playing it?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Chalkece posted:

I realized today that the black desert ps4 version is out... Anyone playing it?

Someone came into the discord and asked if there was a guild on ps4. I don't know if anyone else is playing it from here

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?

gwrtheyrn posted:

Someone came into the discord and asked if there was a guild on ps4. I don't know if anyone else is playing it from here

I think I am the only goon playing on PS4. Created a guild with a friend. Feel free to join!

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

I saw the life skill update stuff. No idea what my brain is trying to understand so I closed out of the tab and decided to just keep doing what I'm doing.

However, I'm currently torn between my zerker and maybe picking up striker. None of my gear is fantastic, ~180 or so AP ~220 DP. Do I stay the course with berserker and give into the sunk cost fallacy? All I ever see is "hit 260+ AP and the class is fun and good!" and I don't see anything about striker. Thing that really keeps me from just jumping ship is the amount of dosh I dropped on my zerker over the years. Just feels weird and wrong to not play him anymore outside of some life skilling if that makes sense.

:negative:
I'll gladly take any advice.

Though grabbing someone by the face as a striker and dragging them across the ground is maximum fun. Clones are kinda weird I guess. Not sure what their potential is. I know as a zerker I fire up Titan Syndrome and I feel like a monster every 3 minutes and that's kinda :flaccid:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Zeg posted:

I saw the life skill update stuff. No idea what my brain is trying to understand so I closed out of the tab and decided to just keep doing what I'm doing.

However, I'm currently torn between my zerker and maybe picking up striker. None of my gear is fantastic, ~180 or so AP ~220 DP. Do I stay the course with berserker and give into the sunk cost fallacy? All I ever see is "hit 260+ AP and the class is fun and good!" and I don't see anything about striker. Thing that really keeps me from just jumping ship is the amount of dosh I dropped on my zerker over the years. Just feels weird and wrong to not play him anymore outside of some life skilling if that makes sense.

:negative:
I'll gladly take any advice.

Though grabbing someone by the face as a striker and dragging them across the ground is maximum fun. Clones are kinda weird I guess. Not sure what their potential is. I know as a zerker I fire up Titan Syndrome and I feel like a monster every 3 minutes and that's kinda :flaccid:

Keep in mind anytime you see commentary about classes in this game, most of the community seems to be speaking about it from a pvp perspective. Because you know, this is a "pvp game" where everybody spends 95% of their playtime doing things other than pvp :v:

You can pass armor/accessories back and forth between characters, and just buy a set of cheap weapons to try out other classes. You don't have to fully commit to the reroll, some rando +15 green poo poo is enough to get your feet wet with a new character. Having alts is extremely useful in this game no matter what you end up doing.

Berserker and striker are both good classes. Berserker is the better pve grinder of the two, is better in node wars albeit as a titan syndrome bot, but is more difficult to play in 1v1 encounters effectively. Berserker has a lot of complicated animation cancels and movement techs to get the most out of the class. All of his abilities with super armor do lovely damage, most of his damaging abilities are completely unprotected. He often has to be played in a grab fishing manner where if you don't land a CC or a grab you just run away until your cooldowns are up again and then try again. Striker's got some more generous super armors and is more forgiving to play.

I've tried both classes and find them both fun. Ultimately it's up to you - I recommend playing whatever you find the most fun, because if you don't have fun you're not going to end up putting in enough hours to get to the point where you have gear relevant for pvp anyways. You're still a really long ways off.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

one of the more decent things yo ucan do as berserker is spin around like a top which is fun.
they're both also ult machines so either class will be fed bsr constantly in wars. berserkers commit explode on their engage location to delete people from existence and then swooce out of there, whereas strikers can leg clap a group 50 seconds into the future and then bring in The Boys to do the same to big blobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I got real excited when I noticed the tooltip for magical seeds says they can be exchanged for a fence. Imagine my surprise when I remembered this is BDO and that was just a lie.

High on the hog, 90's style.