Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

"Max Wilco" posted:

My thought was to try going through 4-7. With 4 and 7, I thought the best option would be to use the xu4 and Exult source ports to make things easier.

Based on what I read umpteen pages back, though, it sounds like Ultima 7 is a chore because of the combat. I originally meant to drop in and ask if Ultima 8 was worth playing since, it and a bunch of other games are on sale on GOG right now.

If you want my 2 cents, unless you're the CRPG Addict, Ultimas 4-6 aged badly and will definitely be a chore to play. You will get burned out. Start with 7 instead and if you like it, go back and play the older ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
U7 serpent isle is really good imo

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

:psyduck:

YouTube gaming criticism can be *so bad*, it boggles the mind.
I started telling YouTube I was not interested in a channel every time a painfully uneducated opinion came out of the mouth of a dude who mispronounced basic words in his videos, and before long I was no longer recommended any regular gaming review channels at all. Seemed inevitable in hindsight.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

U7 serpent isle is really good imo

When I replayed SI and U7 maybe 6 or 7 years after they came out I enjoyed both but slightly preferred SI's tighter focus. The combat is less awkward when the game is less sprawling.

I do wonder how cringey the renfair dialogue is now. I loved that poo poo as a teen but I could imagine it being unbearable.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FuzzySlippers posted:

I do wonder how cringey the renfair dialogue is now. I loved that poo poo as a teen but I could imagine it being unbearable.

Extremely bad imo

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It has extra comedy value in the intro of SI when Lord British does a super terrible job voicing Lord British.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

atholbrose posted:

Ultima 7 was amazing, back in the day. So many colors, so much dialog, so much detail! I rode a bus for an hour and twenty minutes to pick up a copy at Egghead Software. But man, it has not aged well, and is way too frustrating to try and play nowadays.

Ultima 8 never was worth playing.

It's too bad they never rounded out the Guardian trilogy with an Ultima 9. I was looking forward to seeing it all resolved.

But wait, there was a...

...Oh, uh...never mind.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ultima 4 - 6 are the good ones imo. Still need to play Underworld

Joe Chill posted:

If you want my 2 cents, unless you're the CRPG Addict, Ultimas 4-6 aged badly and will definitely be a chore to play. You will get burned out. Start with 7 instead and if you like it, go back and play the older ones.

Well, I have Ultima 4-7 on GOG, so I guess I could just install them all and try them all in order and see how I fare with each.

Not to sound insulting, but what classic CRPGs are there that are worth playing nowadays?

Like, I've thought about playing through the Ultima games before now (in fact, I think I might have asked about it in the thread before some time back). However, I never got to the point of actually installing them to play, probably out of reluctance to deal with Apple II era game design and controls. Ultima 7 seems like only game in the series that's relatively modern, while also not being terrible like Ultima 8 and Ult...uh...like Ultima 8.

Today, I re-read this article series on the Wizardry series for the umpteenth time, and Wizardy is another set of games that I stupidly bought on impulse from GOG that I've thought about playing through, but I've struggled to bring myself to do so. Ultima is interesting to me because of the writing and story, but the Wizardry games don't really seem to put as strong of a focus on that, so I ask myself why I want to play it. I dunno; it's a weird ambivalence I have. Like it seems fun and challenging, but at the same time annoying and tedious.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It feels like the only thing I post in this thread but might and magic 3-5 are pretty playable still imo. Built in automapping is a big help.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
The Savage Empire is good. Martian Dreams probably too but I only played it way later in life and kinda forgot about it.

Already highly recommended Underworld 1 & 2.

There's a shitload of excellent old RPGs, it's impossible to list them all:

Albion
Avernum/Geneforge series
Betrayal At Krondor
Dragon Wars
Lands of Lore series
Might & Magic/Xeen series
Quest For Glory series
(Later) Wizardry series

There's more but that should last you about 20yrs.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Chev posted:

It has extra comedy value in the intro of SI when Lord British does a super terrible job voicing Lord British.
"INDEED; PUT IT ON THE TABLE" -Dr. Quarex, out loud, once every few months since 1993

Chev posted:

Not to sound insulting, but what classic CRPGs are there that are worth playing nowadays?
Good answers already, but yeah, lots of 1990s CRPGs that did not get sucked into bullshit 3D are worth potentially investigating. Though I definitely agree that the early-middle three Might & Magic games are among the most instantly accessible, due to both being very much peak pixel art and not requiring too serious a mindset to play. Also if you want to appreciate the modern state of gaming more, just try playing something like Knights of Legend for 5 minutes (great fun though I did have with it).

Also, let us not forget, Baldur's Gate probably fully counts as Old School by this point.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Might & Magic 1 and 2 are actually quite playable if you can get the Mac versions to run. Those have pleasant visuals and full mouse support. MM1 is actually in black and white, but it still looks better than any of the other versions.

I will agree that 3, 4, 5 and Swords are all very approachable even to this day.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Shame there aren't more source ports/remakes/whatever for 90s rpgs. I recently got my nephew into Doom and it was a lot easier without having to deal with dosbox or super old UI stuff.

One of the few 90s rpgs with a port is Star Control 2 and that's a must play. Its rpg elements are light but it has a fantastic story and good gameplay.

Otherwise, I agree that Might and Magic 3-5 are the most playable. I'd probably just jump to Clouds of Xeen though.

I haven't revisited Dark Sun but I think it'd probably be easy to get into. The character creation is fairly simple compared to Wizardry and it has a nice mouse driven interface. It has a pretty decent story and its set in my favorite D&D setting.

If story is important Quest For Glory is a good recommendation. The QFG1 remake is still a good looking game and has a solid interface. There's a QFG2 remake now which makes for a seamless movement from QFG1 through 4 and you can even import your character.

I have not revisited Betrayal At Krondor but I recall it having fun fights and a good story. I dunno if the developers in goofy costumes for character art is fun bad or bad bad now.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 21, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Joe Man posted:

Already highly recommended Underworld 1 & 2.

There's a shitload of excellent old RPGs, it's impossible to list them all:

Albion
Avernum/Geneforge series
Betrayal At Krondor
Dragon Wars
Lands of Lore series
Might & Magic/Xeen series
Quest For Glory series
(Later) Wizardry series

There's more but that should last you about 20yrs.

I actually have picked up all of those, save for Dragon Wars and the Spiderweb Software stuff. Dragon Wars I'm not familiar with. With Avernum/Geneforge, the issue I've had is that there's so many of them, I don't know where to start, especially now that there's remakes of the Avernum games.

JustJeff88 posted:

Might & Magic 1 and 2 are actually quite playable if you can get the Mac versions to run. Those have pleasant visuals and full mouse support. MM1 is actually in black and white, but it still looks better than any of the other versions.

I will agree that 3, 4, 5 and Swords are all very approachable even to this day.

I'm not familiar with Swords. I looked it up, and apparently it's a mod that add a new campaign based off Might and Magic 5?

As to Might and Magic as a whole, I have thought about trying to play though those as well, though mainly the World of Xeen games and the later 3D ones (6,7, and 8, specifically; M&M9, not so much).

FuzzySlippers posted:

Shame there aren't more source ports/remakes/whatever for 90s rpgs. I recently got my nephew into Doom and it was a lot easier without having to deal with dosbox or super old UI stuff.

One of the few 90s rpgs with a port is Star Control 2 and that's a must play. Its rpg elements are light but it has a fantastic story and good gameplay.

Otherwise, I agree that Might and Magic 3-5 are the most playable. I'd probably just jump to Clouds of Xeen though.

I haven't revisited Dark Sun but I think it'd probably be easy to get into. The character creation is fairly simple compared to Wizardry and it has a nice mouse driven interface. It has a pretty decent story and its set in my favorite D&D setting.

If story is important Quest For Glory is a good recommendation. The QFG1 remake is still a good looking game and has a solid interface. There's a QFG2 remake now which makes for a seamless movement from QFG1 through 4 and you can even import your character.

I have not revisited Betrayal At Krondor but I recall it having fun fights and a good story. I dunno if the developers in goofy costumes for character art is fun bad or bad bad now.

Playing through Quest for Glory 1-5 while importing the same character all the way through is something that I've meant to do for many years. I have actually played the QFG2 remake, though it was quite a long time ago.

I did download Star Control II The Ur-Quan Masters at one point, and the little I played was fun, but when it came to the time to start exploring outside of Earth, I wasn't sure where to go and dropped it.

I don't have Dark Sun, but I did get Al-Qadim, and the Forgotten Realms Archive that includes Menzoberrazen and Dungeon Hack (more interested in Menzo than Dungeon Hack). Ravenloft looks interesting.

With Betrayal in Krondor, I've felt like I should read some of Raymond E Feist Krondor books to have a grasp of the setting, though that's probably not necessary. There's also the sequel Return to Krondor, and the unrelated spin-off Betrayal in Antara; both of which I'm sure aren't that good, but I'm still interested in playing. I dunno what it is, but lately I've had this weird inclination to buy or play games that I know aren't that great, but are still sort of passable. For example, I've thought about playing King's Quest VIII. :downsgun:

There are some other miscellaneous RPGs I'm curious about, but I'll save asking about those for another post.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I had a lot of fun playing star control with a full resource map handy. That makes the game a lot easier and more enjoyable. then you can basically progress the plot by buying tips from the melnorme traders without too much resource stress.

And regarding Albion, it kinda blew my mind how it's so similar to Avatar in so many ways but a lot more creative. The old-school fps view looks sorta good too. Combat is a bit punishing, but maybe I wasn't too good at it the first time around. I remember being thrown in a point of no return without enough preparation (a very long cave of some sort after getting arrested) and that kinda made me drop it, though. so if you plan on playing it make sure to save in a few separate slots and be aware of the genre trappings.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Play Stonekeep.

Don't actually play Stonekeep

But totally play Stonekeep

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
The only old school RPG anyone should play is Darklands. I haven't played it in a few years and I never really felt like I knew what the gently caress was going on but it sure was cool. I'd kill for a good modern version.

Actually now that I think about it Battle Brothers kind of is: low fantasy Germanic-lore inspired game about a group of mercenaries wandering around the map loving poo poo up until your band plays a pivotal role in dealing with a realm shaking conflict.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Max Wilco posted:

Wizardry 8 is one of the greatest RPGs ever and everyone should play it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Might and Magic 3 - 5 and Dark Sun were the games that really got me into pre-Fallout RPGs, they've aged well and are super accessible. A lot of people skip straight to MM4 but 3 is a bit smaller in scope and less overwhelming imo, plus with World of Xeen you run the risk of stumbling into the dwarf mines straight out the gate, which is the worst dungeon ever made and will turn you into an anti-video games campaigner

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Haha seems everyone has responded what I wanted to: Might and Magic 3-5 all the way. Brilliant games that held up SO well. Really fun, with awesome charm and character.

Also Fallout and Baldur's Gate are over 20 years old so is that old school yet? 🧐

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I feel like there's an interesting cut off point for what's considered "old school". Like, to me, Daggerfall was old school long before it hit 10 years old and was released for free; on the other hand, Morrowind is nearly 20, hasn't been released for free and I wouldn't really call it old school. I guess a lot of it is based on your own relative age, I'm sure some of the young folk these days think Mass Effect is old school, but there definitely seems to be a cultural... tipping point somewhere around the late 90s. The advent of 3D is probably a big part, but again, a lot of people say Baldurs Gate doesn't really count and it's, er, not 3D. The demise of DOS based games maybe?

All a bit arbitrary obviously, just interesting to think about.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

You know, maybe the cut off is the late 90s, DOS or earlier Windows 95 stuff I reckon. Old old school to me is 1985-1988 Pool of Radiance, Bard's Tale era.

Crazy old school is pre-1985. I played some but not a hell of a lot of RPGs from this time.

Old school is 1989-1996, so Eye of the Beholder, Ultimas 6-7.2, Might and Magic, Star Control 2 etc. AKA the greatest era in gaming history.

New old school is 1997-2001. Fallout series and the Infinity Engine games.

But I'm a few months away from 40 years old so who knows.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Its been mentioned but reinforcing that Might & Magic 3-5 distills first-person dungeon crawling to a simplistic and accessible core and is extremely playable. It doesn't take itself seriously at all which adds to the charm. If they were released on a handheld like the Switch they would blend in fine with contemporary indie-budget games.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Wizardry 8 is one of the greatest RPGs ever and everyone should play it

:hmmyes:

In my own mind Wiz 8 and Morrowind, which came out a few months apart and you could mod resources across, are the division between old and new.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 21, 2019

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Chubby Henparty posted:

:hmmyes:

In my own mind Wiz 8 and Morrowind, which came out a few months apart and you could mod resources across, are the division between old and new.

And Wizardry 8 is better in every way :colbert:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Max Wilco posted:

I'm not familiar with Swords. I looked it up, and apparently it's a mod that add a new campaign based off Might and Magic 5?

It's basically this. Wizardry 8, as others have said, is excellent to this day. I still very much enjoy the Eye of the Beholder trilogy too. Also, while they are rarely talked about, the Ravenloft/Menzoberranzan/Ravenloft trilogy is still very fun and accessible in my opinion. The graphics don't look too bad, the interface is easy to grasp, Baldur's Gate has kept 2e D&D relevant... they are very much worth a try so far as I see it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

And Wizardry 8 is better in every way :colbert:

They're not really comparable beyond both being RPGs, and both rule in their own ways. One is an open-world RPG about plundering a huge wilderness and bizarre factions on a quest for powerful treasure so you can fulfill some weird prophecy, and the other is about exponentially stacking potion-boosting potions and ascending to godhood.

Also Morrowind has the advantage that you don't need mods to make the combat bearable because the combat can't be made bearable lol.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Does Might and Magic 3 have an auto map, how about 4+5? I think I bought them all on GOG during a sale.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So speaking of old school, I'm playing through System Shock 1 Enhanced currently. This game is absolutely amazing in every sense of the word. It's easy to make the controls super smooth and "modern", it works flawlessly on an Ultrawide resolution and if it plays this well now I can't imagine how mind bending it must have been in 1994. I figure it counts more as an RPG than an old school shooter.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Skwirl posted:

Does Might and Magic 3 have an auto map, how about 4+5? I think I bought them all on GOG during a sale.

I believe that there is a mapping spell that's trivial to cast, but it's been a while for me.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

M&M 4+5 definitely has an automap and I strongly recommend those two. They are excellent old school first person gridcrawlers. 5 gets a little silly when the game balance just kinda jettisons out the window as stats and such balloon out of control but it's still a ton of fun.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Big Mad Drongo posted:

They're not really comparable beyond both being RPGs, and both rule in their own ways. One is an open-world RPG about plundering a huge wilderness and bizarre factions on a quest for powerful treasure so you can fulfill some weird prophecy, and the other is about exponentially stacking potion-boosting potions and ascending to godhood.

Also Morrowind has the advantage that you don't need mods to make the combat bearable because the combat can't be made bearable lol.

Wait which one of these descriptions doesn't apply to morrowind

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skwirl posted:

In 2-3-4-5, automapping is available through the cartographer skill, which you'll have to learn (usually pretty close to your starting point) if none of your party members have it from the get go (Sorcerers do in 3-4-5). Conversely, if all of your cartographers are KO, your automap won't update. There's also the wizard eye spell that offers you a top down view of the surrounding squares but doesn't actually add them to the map.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Wait which one of these descriptions doesn't apply to morrowind

It can be played like a sprawling epic adventure of dungeons and looting, but in your heart you know the true game is giving yourself permanent 100% chameleon and robbing every shopkeeper blind.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really want to play U7 one day, but I've heard nothing but bad things regarding the combat. I mean, Planescape torment has universally panned combat but I love that game and the combat is fine. Is it true that U7's combat is a fast, non-pausable, chaotic mess?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's real-time, but I don't remember it being particularily hectic or hard. Just give your party decent gear and make sure they're trained up.

Sentri in Britannia and Menion in Serpent's Hold are the best trainers for Dex and Str respectively. Play it with Exult.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I really want to play U7 one day, but I've heard nothing but bad things regarding the combat. I mean, Planescape torment has universally panned combat but I love that game and the combat is fine. Is it true that U7's combat is a fast, non-pausable, chaotic mess?

It's so bad that Ultima 7 would be a significantly better if monsters and combat were just removed from the game entirely.

Combat is not hard--for the most part it's actually pretty easy--but it serves as, at best, a distraction. Because so much of it is controlled by (very stupid) AI, it's not even interactive for a lot of the game. Most of the time, monsters show up, your party rushes in and kills them all (sometimes before you can even see them), and that's it. Maybe you'll get a click or two in yourself if you're lucky.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

chaosapiant posted:

Best to thing of U7 as being a hybrid open world graphic adventure. It's not a game you play for the combat anyways.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The best thing about U7 combat is all the gibs laying around after that look like a bloodpocalypse. Everything up to that point is like throwing a bunch of action figures into a bucket and shaking it all around and whichever ones are left inside are the winners

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

chaosapiant posted:

So speaking of old school, I'm playing through System Shock 1 Enhanced currently. This game is absolutely amazing in every sense of the word. It's easy to make the controls super smooth and "modern", it works flawlessly on an Ultrawide resolution and if it plays this well now I can't imagine how mind bending it must have been in 1994. I figure it counts more as an RPG than an old school shooter.

System Shock is absolutely amazing. I have no idea why it wasn’t a mega hit back in the mid-nineties. There’s a reason SHODAN is one of the most fondly remembered video(PC) villains in history.

Okay, admittedly, that reason is mostly System Shock 2, thanks to its amazing sound design, but the first part laid the foundations for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

System Shock is absolutely amazing. I have no idea why it wasn’t a mega hit back in the mid-nineties.

It wasn't Doom.

(See also: Half-Life - Deus Ex)