Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cojawfee posted:

Sucks that the OG touch controllers are stuck in a dead tracking system.

My OG Oculus Rift is Eternal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fuzz posted:

Hot take: The Knuckles are kinda... Ehhhh? I'm coming from OG Touches, and the analog sticks are just... really imprecise and terrible.

I agree. The Knux's gimmick is really cool and there are cases where it really adds to the experience, but in most cases I'd much prefer to have the Touch controllers back, with their cozy fit and precise grip button. The Knux are just "off" enough in my hand that I am constantly aware of them being on my hands, whereas the Touch just slipped into my hands and I didn't really think about them being there, or feel like I had to adjust them, or worry that throwing motions would cause then to fly out of my hands. I haven't messed with Echo Arena since getting the Index because it feels like I either have to consciously slow down my throw motions, or snug up the controllers uncomfortably tight.

The Index headset itself is fantastic, but I really don't like the controllers.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I think Oculus did a really good job of making the OG touch fit naturally in a passive hand position. You really don't think about holding them. The balance of new touch isn't as good. I saw people trying mods to improve that but not sure if any of them work well.

I haven't had enough time with index controllers to really comment on them but In my short time with them I didn't find them as comfortable as touch. The finger mechanic is cool though.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Nothing about the Index controllers can justify their cost for me, it seems so absurd. If they'd release a model without the finger tracking and knock the price way down I'd be interested.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mischievous Mink posted:

Nothing about the Index controllers can justify their cost for me, it seems so absurd. If they'd release a model without the finger tracking and knock the price way down I'd be interested.

I mean. Its the same price as a pair of vive wands, and while I'm not "ok" with the price, its because they are trying to at least break even/turn a profit on hardware.

They aint facebook.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

I mean. Its the same price as a pair of vive wands, and while I'm not "ok" with the price, its because they are trying to at least break even/turn a profit on hardware.

They aint facebook.

Also part of its project specs is probably like the Index headset; a high-end reference SDK for other developers to build off. I'm curious to see how well the Pimax ones work.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm in the market for decent grips for playing beatsaber and am genuinely tempted to buy these dumbass things:

The nintendo loving wii has nothing on all the ephemeral doodads I want to buy and attach to my rift S it seems.

Also why is the Disposable Hygiene Batman mask for Virtual Reality apparently thing?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also part of its project specs is probably like the Index headset; a high-end reference SDK for other developers to build off. I'm curious to see how well the Pimax ones work.

Pimax is gonna be hot garbage that makes mad catz look good

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

It’s right in the description:

quote:

For more style and fun

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I think the index controllers are worse for pick up and play but way better for longer sessions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm in the market for decent grips for playing beatsaber and am genuinely tempted to buy these dumbass things:

The nintendo loving wii has nothing on all the ephemeral doodads I want to buy and attach to my rift S it seems.

Also why is the Disposable Hygiene Batman mask for Virtual Reality apparently thing?

If the only thing holding the controllers is in the friction of those cups, steer clear.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Supposedly they lock into the the wrist strap holder and are very time consuming to attach and remove.

They also sell a maul mode version.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I have a two-handed grip for zenblade, and it's great, very immersive. But what's the point of having two one-handed grips?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm using F-Grip when playing Beat Saber and I kinda dread having to change controllers eventually.
(Un)fortunately I can't afford buying new VR headsets all the time anyways so I'll be sticking with the Rift for a while longer.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Shine posted:

I agree. The Knux's gimmick is really cool and there are cases where it really adds to the experience, but in most cases I'd much prefer to have the Touch controllers back, with their cozy fit and precise grip button. The Knux are just "off" enough in my hand that I am constantly aware of them being on my hands, whereas the Touch just slipped into my hands and I didn't really think about them being there, or feel like I had to adjust them, or worry that throwing motions would cause then to fly out of my hands. I haven't messed with Echo Arena since getting the Index because it feels like I either have to consciously slow down my throw motions, or snug up the controllers uncomfortably tight.

The Index headset itself is fantastic, but I really don't like the controllers.

Index and knucks over all are great but the pricing and design choices are still baffling to me. Guess Valve couldnt get it made by anyone but themselves and also underestimated demand? It's still bizarre the controllers especially are that loving pricey, where is that coming from. I think really some aspects of the set are over engineered.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Index and knucks over all are great but the pricing and design choices are still baffling to me. Guess Valve couldnt get it made by anyone but themselves and also underestimated demand? It's still bizarre the controllers especially are that loving pricey, where is that coming from. I think really some aspects of the set are over engineered.

They wanted it made in-house, it wasn't a question of nobody else wanting to work with them. The Index headset is also deliberately over-engineered because part of their project mandate was to make it a reference SDK for new VR headsets. They haven't said as much about the knuckle controllers, but you can probably infer it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Man, the Quest is a great piece of hardware. From the moment you put it on until when you take it off and replace the controller batteries with the slick slide on slide off magnetic latches, A+ integration all around.

Red Matter is a piece of work. Definite Bioshock 1 feel to it, graphics are awesome. If you're paying close attention there's three levels of render detail, high detail in the middle third, to the left and right, and down is medium-low and then the top is very low which is pretty clever use of resources.

If Red Matter is what studios are capable of six months after release, I'm really looking forward to what games on the Quest 2 hardware will look like.

Definitely zero regrets on the Quest purchase, solid piece of kit at this price.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They wanted it made in-house, it wasn't a question of nobody else wanting to work with them. The Index headset is also deliberately over-engineered because part of their project mandate was to make it a reference SDK for new VR headsets. They haven't said as much about the knuckle controllers, but you can probably infer it.

Just a shame they only went so far visually. Maybe that's more about gpu limitations than development priorities though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone who works at an arcade in japan needs to make it their life’s goal to rip this game for the greater VR good

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/cso7g3/mario_kart_vr_looks_awesome/

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Just roleplay a paraplegic astronaut in a wheelchair.

thanks justin roiland

(Must finish Trover, its good but at the end of each section I've Had Enough For a While)

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Just a shame they only went so far visually. Maybe that's more about gpu limitations than development priorities though.

Why do you say it's a shame the index only went so far visually? It's the only HMD over 90 fps. I think the FOV and res are great. There are only 2 HMD with higher resolution but they have been shown to have some pretty significant problems (HP has really bad mura, Pimax has dead pixel issues).

I think Valve went with the best screen they could get that they could engineer into the platform. They got high res, high refresh with seemingly no issues.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

Why do you say it's a shame the index only went so far visually? It's the only HMD over 90 fps. I think the FOV and res are great. There are only 2 HMD with higher resolution but they have been shown to have some pretty significant problems (HP has really bad mura, Pimax has dead pixel issues).

I think Valve went with the best screen they could get that they could engineer into the platform. They got high res, high refresh with seemingly no issues.

High fov with no distortion and perfect clarity edge to edge counts for a LOT

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

BMan posted:

I have a two-handed grip for zenblade, and it's great, very immersive. But what's the point of having two one-handed grips?
To grip with?

The touch controllers are tiny and can slip out of your hands easily once you work up a sweat, not to mention the battery cover takes up half the grippable space and is only held in place by magnets.

Also the terrible secret of Beat Saber is the the PS Moves are the best feeling controllers to play the game with because they're actually shaped like lightsaber hilts.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Stick100 posted:

You don't reckon they could have pushed it a smidge further? I guess not if they were going spend time overdoing the audio and controllers. If I could get that 10 degrees or whatever binocular fov back in exchange for either of those I'd love it.

Seriously I don't know what it took to get those speakers into the mix but the Cv1 headphones were already so great it can't be that big of a difference for all the faff

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I set up my OG Rift to try NMS and the visual downgrade from the Quest was pretty jarring. Just felt blurry. I don’t think they get enough credit for the improvement they’ve made in that area with these new headsets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Seriously I don't know what it took to get those speakers into the mix but the Cv1 headphones were already so great it can't be that big of a difference for all the faff

Because they're placed a little ways off your head, aside from not always feeling them present on your ears for better immersion in of itself, the positional sound created is much more natural and has the benefit of not blocking out external noises from your actual surroundings. They're also just really good speakers.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mr Phillby posted:

Also the terrible secret of Beat Saber is the the PS Moves are the best feeling controllers to play the game with because they're actually shaped like lightsaber hilts.

Disagree so hard with this.

Vive Wands >= Index > Everything else. Fight me.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 21, 2019

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

EbolaIvory posted:

Disagree so hard with this.

Vive Wands >= Index > Everything else. Fight me.

what grip do you use for beat saber??

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Penpal posted:

what grip do you use for beat saber??

Wands I use a modified standard. Its kinda between Claw and standard.

Index I put my hands 1/2ish way into the straps and choke down a bit. Pinky is a balance point on the bottom side of the strap.

Best I can really do getting a pic of the index grip.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are you in a motion capture room? Why is your house green?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

chaosapiant posted:

Are you in a motion capture room? Why is your house green?

Full time content creator.

Office is green. Got tired of messing with green screens and just yolo painted.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because they're placed a little ways off your head, aside from not always feeling them present on your ears for better immersion in of itself, the positional sound created is much more natural and has the benefit of not blocking out external noises from your actual surroundings. They're also just really good speakers.

I guess it's just me then. The sound is better but I can also hear my blower 1080ti and everything else in the shared house in the city I inhabit. Dunno if my housemates hear me shooting VR mans, I'd rather they didn't anyway.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 21, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EbolaIvory posted:

Full time content creator.

Office is green. Got tired of messing with green screens and just yolo painted.

It doesn't mess with your brain?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Cojawfee posted:

How would green walls mess with your brain more than VR?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

also, what's the best way to record footage, I guess offscreen footage, of VR gameplay? For example, Pavlov is in a window on the desktop that doesn't go full screen, so even if I have the taskbar disappear at the bottom I still have the title bar visible. This seems like an easily fixable problem in post, but recording the application directly would be easier.

No Man's Sky outputs binocular video to the desktop, so I have two perspectives on the offscreen display instead of something like Pavlov, which at least gives me the mono perspective. The other issue with NMS is that the offscreen view can't go full screen or have it's dimensions changed.

Some games have offscreen view settings, fairly certain NMS does so I'll double check that, but I couldn't find a setting perusing last night that would give me a mono perspective

I'm using GeForce experience to record btw.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

rage-saq posted:

How would green walls mess with your brain more than VR?

Some people find greenscreens unpleasant to spend time around on filmsets because of the the light coming off of them. Bluescreens are much more chill.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Penpal posted:

also, what's the best way to record footage, I guess offscreen footage, of VR gameplay? For example, Pavlov is in a window on the desktop that doesn't go full screen, so even if I have the taskbar disappear at the bottom I still have the title bar visible. This seems like an easily fixable problem in post, but recording the application directly would be easier.

No Man's Sky outputs binocular video to the desktop, so I have two perspectives on the offscreen display instead of something like Pavlov, which at least gives me the mono perspective. The other issue with NMS is that the offscreen view can't go full screen or have it's dimensions changed.

Some games have offscreen view settings, fairly certain NMS does so I'll double check that, but I couldn't find a setting perusing last night that would give me a mono perspective

I'm using GeForce experience to record btw.

OBS has an OpenVR plugin, however there’s no binocular capture available in the offscreen capture texture so you have to pick right or left eye, or pick both and overlay them yourself (gives odd artifacts in the overlap). That might change when the OpenVR 1.7 API drops assuming it exposes the combined render surfaces via API.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mashed_penguin posted:

Some people find greenscreens unpleasant to spend time around on filmsets because of the the light coming off of them. Bluescreens are much more chill.

Blue sucks. gently caress Blue. People who use Blue are dumb. Its stupid to key and even more dumb LIVE. rant rant rant rant.

*YES THERE ARE APPLICATIONS FOR BLUE SHUT UP*

Blue keying clearly did something to me. I don't wanna talk about it ok?

Cojawfee posted:

Not at all. You get used to it. In fact I don't have my lights on right now and it feels dark. I kinda really like it anymore to be totally honest.

ragzilla posted:

OBS has an OpenVR plugin, however there’s no binocular capture available in the offscreen capture texture so you have to pick right or left eye, or pick both and overlay them yourself (gives odd artifacts in the overlap). That might change when the OpenVR 1.7 API drops assuming it exposes the combined render surfaces via API.

Theres some methods to blend 2 inputs and blend them together to get a proper desktop FPS style view. Saq could go into detail but long and short its some work but totally doable.

Single eye works fantastic though if you actually set it up right. Aint perfect, But if you use dominate eye its just fine for most applications that don't have mixed reality or something.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 21, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Quote Not Edit.... gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Mind literally broken by a bluescreen. The EbolaIvory story.