Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

she seems to be getting pretty profoundly dragged on twitter and insta, and for that i am glad.

having had a wreck of the severity that she claims to have had, it is anything but a serene intimate photogenic experience. of course every accident is different but in my experience, it is bystanders freaking out and a bartender running out with some (clean) bar rags to stop the blood and people like, spontaneously crying and poo poo from the stress, and a motorcyclist quickly getting up and picking the gravel out of their elbows and yelling GOD drat IT MY BIKE while the ambulance sirens doppler in

she says she had a low-speed lay-down in a turn. i lowsided in a turn at about 25mph and i was wearing a leather jacket, gauntlet gloves, racing boots, full face helmet, knee pads under jeans and i ended up with my entire left side black and blue and some gnarly scabs on my left knee and elbow just from friction with the inside of my clothes. no skin actually touched the pavement.

no loving way did she crash wearing overalls with bare arms without breaking a single bit of skin. if she landed on her shoulder there would be blood oozing from it everywhere if it wasn't just outright broken

e: i realize this is a victim-blaming believing-women-on-the-internet thing but just cmon ffs

e2: it looks like she's got one of those helmets that changes from silver flake when you're at the gas station to gloss off-white when you crash a few hours later. cool cool

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I lowsided my old cruiser at about 25 MPH, it was pretty serene, went up on a peg in a turn, and gently slid to a stop in the grass off the shoulder, picked my bike up off the ground, noted no damage, inspected my gear, light burnishing on the leather, huge hole in my cargo pants where my empty water bottle had acted as a slider, cranked my bike over and took off.

Cured cow leather slides easy across pavement though, I later found out how badly uncured human leather slides, when the pavement finds any and all gaps in your gear and cheese-graters them.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Nice sunny day so I decide I'll bust out the bandit and do some riding and tuning. All goes well for an hour, then I go to start the bike and the starter clutch is somehow completely blown now despite the bike having low mileage and there never even being a hint of a problem with it. Normally they play up and deteriorate over time, not just decide to completely stop working out of the blue.

And it's a genuine only part that costs $700 I don't have :suicide:

This comes right after my little Honda decided it didn't need it's spark plug thread anymore and my car decided it doesn't need to keep the oil and water separate anymore. gently caress my life I'm sorely tempted to yard sale all my vehicles at a massive loss and just buy an SV.

You should buy something reliable like a ktm

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

You should buy something reliable like a ktm

Hah! In a twist, nothing was wrong with the starter clutch, however the PO thought not putting any loctite on the retaining bolt was a good idea. It had come loose enough to let the little cam dowels fall right off the race on the starter gear. Put it together as per manual, 150nm and some blue stuff, not going anywhere. Starts fine now, back to loving around with tables.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

just buy an SV.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Buy my Wee!

(he said, on the internet)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Phy posted:

Buy my Wee!

(he said, on the internet)

Shipping to NZ gonna be a real problem. Sorry, the only option is to buy a 701sm.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Shipping to NZ gonna be a real problem. Sorry, the only option is to buy a 701sm.

wisdom

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I recently found out I've been without bike insurance for the past two months, oops. I moved over two years ago but had serious issues getting my insurance company to update my address correctly, and my bike policy is separate but from the same company. Turns out my wife paid for a whole year at once last June, and the renewal notice must have gone to our old place but got forwarded on to our new address, which is why she knew to pay it. Meanwhile I've been getting auto pay notices every month for an amount that seemed correct, so I assumed the bike policy was just on a monthly auto pay setup.

I then got a notice from the DMV in the mail saying I needed to show proof of insurance or they would cancel my registration. I look into it, see that my insurance card expired in June, and eventually determine that they sent the renewal notice to my old address, which no longer has mail forwarding. Not receiving payment, my insurance company canceled my policy without calling or emailing me, which is awesome. I have auto, renter's, and an umbrella policy with them, so you'd hope there would be some communication before they cancel, but nope. Those monthly auto pay notices I had been getting? For another guy with my same name, who doesn't know his email address. Seriously, I get poo poo meant for him all the time, and when I ended up talking to his agent about this, this guy thinks his gmail address is mine, but without the period between his first and last name (gmail ignores periods, so first.last is the same as firstlast to gmail).

The best part? His auto insurance policy is within dollars of what my bike policy was, so I assumed that had to be my bike policy. My recent emails for that didn't list a vehicle, and I never read them anyway, but I went back around 8 months and found one that listed a car I don't own.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I recently found out I've been without bike insurance for the past two months, oops. I moved over two years ago but had serious issues getting my insurance company to update my address correctly, and my bike policy is separate but from the same company. Turns out my wife paid for a whole year at once last June, and the renewal notice must have gone to our old place but got forwarded on to our new address, which is why she knew to pay it. Meanwhile I've been getting auto pay notices every month for an amount that seemed correct, so I assumed the bike policy was just on a monthly auto pay setup.

I then got a notice from the DMV in the mail saying I needed to show proof of insurance or they would cancel my registration. I look into it, see that my insurance card expired in June, and eventually determine that they sent the renewal notice to my old address, which no longer has mail forwarding. Not receiving payment, my insurance company canceled my policy without calling or emailing me, which is awesome. I have auto, renter's, and an umbrella policy with them, so you'd hope there would be some communication before they cancel, but nope. Those monthly auto pay notices I had been getting? For another guy with my same name, who doesn't know his email address. Seriously, I get poo poo meant for him all the time, and when I ended up talking to his agent about this, this guy thinks his gmail address is mine, but without the period between his first and last name (gmail ignores periods, so first.last is the same as firstlast to gmail).

The best part? His auto insurance policy is within dollars of what my bike policy was, so I assumed that had to be my bike policy. My recent emails for that didn't list a vehicle, and I never read them anyway, but I went back around 8 months and found one that listed a car I don't own.

I get those emails too, luckily nothing important, mainly just car dealership and dentist emails reminding some guy with my last name to have his oil changed/teeth cleaned. I haven't got a common last name either.
But now that you've got a cancellation for non payment on record, good luck getting insurance a mere mortal can afford now! Hope your current insurer doesn't raise your rates astronomically, you're pretty much stuck with them as no other company will touch you with a barge pole with that on your record.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo, I didn't know that was a thing. My rates stayed pretty much the same, maybe it just counts as the policy lapsing? Is there even a difference?

Fun fact about someone using your email address for things like AT&T, direct tv, etc - for some of these services, it's almost impossible to get them to stop sending you these emails. I tried forever on one service, I think it was direct tv, and they couldn't make any changes to the account because they couldn't verify I was the account holder, but they also wouldn't send a "click here to remove your email address" either.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

poo poo, I didn't know that was a thing. My rates stayed pretty much the same, maybe it just counts as the policy lapsing? Is there even a difference?

Fun fact about someone using your email address for things like AT&T, direct tv, etc - for some of these services, it's almost impossible to get them to stop sending you these emails. I tried forever on one service, I think it was direct tv, and they couldn't make any changes to the account because they couldn't verify I was the account holder, but they also wouldn't send a "click here to remove your email address" either.

Maybe it's specific to certain regions. I guess with a genuine enough sob story, a broker would probably overlook it. I just remember it being an important question on any insurance application. Probably since you've got other coverage with them it doesn't count against you, but it might if you have to say yes to "Did you have an insurance policy cancelled in the past x years" on a form for signing up with another company. I've had insurance woes in the past, so I'm always wary of that stuff.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Progressive likes to forget to auto bill me every loving year, then sends me renewal notifications while I'm out to sea, so what happened to Momjeans has happened to me August of like the last 5 years in a row, it's not the same as non-payment on a monthly bill and it's never affected my credit or rates.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Auto insurance in Massachusetts can only be canceled if you turn in your license plate and cancel the vehicle registration. I once sold a car but wanted to keep the plates, so I couldn't get the registration canceled, so I couldn't get the insurance canceled, so I just stopped paying it.

I've also let my progressive policy lapse several times for the reasons others posted above.

I've never filled out a form or submitted an application for insurance. I just call progressive and they write me a policy every time. My history of lapses and cancellations never comes up and never seems to be an issue.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I know it feels like you shouldn't have to, because you're not the idiot, but have yalls not considered changing your email to something other than firstnamelastname?

Mine's some dumb poo poo I have to spell out every time someone asks, but a) nobody cares (suck it guidance counsellor!) and b) I'm not getting stacks of email for some old man's prescription of dick pills.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

. gently caress my life I'm sorely tempted to yard sale all my vehicles at a massive loss and just buy an SV.

If you could wait until I move back to NZ that’d be great.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I know it feels like you shouldn't have to, because you're not the idiot, but have yalls not considered changing your email to something other than firstnamelastname?

Mine's some dumb poo poo I have to spell out every time someone asks, but a) nobody cares (suck it guidance counsellor!) and b) I'm not getting stacks of email for some old man's prescription of dick pills.

Just lol if you didn't buy your own hilarious domain name in 1998 that, like a band tattoo, you're having to explain two decades later.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
goddamnedtwisto@bargainnippleclamps.com

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just lol if you didn't buy your own hilarious domain name in 1998 that, like a band tattoo, you're having to explain two decades later.

I actually had to offer myname@hereforthegangbang.com for work-related use when an after hours emergency came up and we needed to get our hands on some important docs, and yeah...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Back when Gmail was something you had to get an invite to join, it didn't occur to anyone to use something other than first initial last name as your official email address. I was here first dammit, now gimme my dick pills back you little poo poo!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah I figure it's tech street cred, I got my gmail address back when it was invite only, so none of that numbers after my name or middle initial bullshit. But it turns out no one cares

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My last name is in my email, but it's so absurdly improbable, long and filled with consonants that you'd think it's a spelling mistake. Never get spam, got no numbers in my gmail address, have to spell it out for people every time without fail.

Horse Clocks posted:

If you could wait until I move back to NZ that’d be great.

Buddy I've got a Chinese e-scooter with your name on it here!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I came home today and found a huge pool of white paint beside the spot where I keep my motorcycle, splattering up the walls and all over the place up to ten feet away. I asked the landlord about it and he said that he had been touching up the trim on the house and had dropped a paint can.

Good thing I decided to ride the bike today instead of leaving it at home! :shepface:

Let this be a lesson to always be out on your motorcycle as often as you can

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My landlord backed a trailer into my FZ6 once, I think the moral of the story is to own your own house.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Elviscat posted:

My landlord backed a trailer into my FZ6 once, I think the moral of the story is to own your own house.

Owning your own is slightly better than renting from a decent landlord, but both options have plenty of downsides. When you own, YOU'RE the poor sonofabitch that has to fix the 3AM roof leak/broken dishwasher/running toilet

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
No, when you own your own place you take care of it and rarely experience surprises like that, unlike every shithead landlord in existence.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've recently moved into my own house... and holly gently caress the PO is strong with it, drain pipes buried and discharging to the ground, uneven slab pours, ghetto poo poo everywhere, a completely roted out wall and floor, with one sistered in new joist holding up the floor it's a 1911 lumber camp shelter built on stumps... I do about 20 hours a week off work on the house, really cuts into my riding time.

I do have 3 acres of land with a large gorge running through it to ride my dirt bikes on though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The Daytona 765 is officially announced, but despite a 90cc larger engine the specs are almost the same, what a disappointment. It gains ~5hp and ~5ft-lb torque, which doesn't seem that great for an engine that 13% larger? I guess you'd have to see the dyno graph, I'm guessing there's more power available earlier on, but not quite what I was expecting. Better electronics and suspension though, but I'm sure finding parts for a bike of which only 765 exist in the US would be fun in a few years.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm sure finding parts for a bike of which only 765 exist in the US would be fun in a few years.

Just wait for YammieNoob to slam his into another Porsche and pick up whatever's salvageable for your spares bin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

The Daytona 765 is officially announced, but despite a 90cc larger engine the specs are almost the same, what a disappointment. It gains ~5hp and ~5ft-lb torque, which doesn't seem that great for an engine that 13% larger? I guess you'd have to see the dyno graph, I'm guessing there's more power available earlier on, but not quite what I was expecting. Better electronics and suspension though, but I'm sure finding parts for a bike of which only 765 exist in the US would be fun in a few years.

Euro 5 means everyone is having to bump capacity to maintain the same power figures. Same reason ducati went from an 899 to a 959 without meaningful power gains.

I imagine a pipe + a tune would unlock the extra potential.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, this article explains Euro 5 pretty well, and it doesn't seem like it's going to make motorcycles better at all. Is the golden age going to be 2000 to 2015?

Jazzzzz posted:

Just wait for YammieNoob to slam his into another Porsche and pick up whatever's salvageable for your spares bin.

After seeing his last crash, I don't expect there to many salvageable parts at all. It seemed like the golden age for daytonas crashing was ~2007 to 2013, is there another bike that's taken up the torch? I guess just a mixture of all the liter bikes now?

In my Daytona news, my starting issue was getting worse and worse until this past week I've had to bump start the bike every time. Ended up spraying contact cleaner in my clutch switch, and that fixed it. I thought the bike would start in neutral without the clutch in, but nope, turns out you can have the kickstand down, but the clutch still has to be in. You can't just bypass the switch because the ECU apparently uses it to change all sorts of things as you're riding. People online have completely taken it apart and done a more thorough cleaning, and I may try that, but at least it's working well for now.

Thankfully the reason I tried that first was I was having trouble figuring out all the ground points to check, and reading through the service manual put the clutch switch in my head. Still didn't find the grounds in the manual, and was just about to just take off all the fairings and start poking around. Thankfully I recently bought a shitload of those stupid plastic clips you screw/unscrew to get in and out, and next time I take the fairings off I'm replacing all of them. I feel like there's got to be a better solution than those things.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 24, 2019

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MomJeans420 posted:

drat, this article explains Euro 5 pretty well, and it doesn't seem like it's going to make motorcycles better at all. Is the golden age going to be 2000 to 2015?

Maximum power to displacement ratio is a funny way to define a golden age but okay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

the golden age for gas motorcycles was 1985-1995 at the honda motor corporation

next golden age will be whenever electric motorcycles hit 150 miles per charge/half-hour fast charge/under $10,000

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

next golden age will be whenever electric motorcycles hit 150 miles per charge/half-hour fast charge/under $10,000

I can't get that $1500 Hawk off my mind

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Maximum power to displacement ratio is a funny way to define a golden age but okay

It's more that I'd like to have powerful but light/small bikes, and adding displacement to make the same power is going to make the bike heavier and bulkier / wider. You can certainly feel the difference in width on a speed triple vs a daytona, but if you don't live in a place that allows lane splitting it may not be as important to you.

I mean, it's cool that new bikes will have even more electronics and aids to keep you from crashing, but if a lot of models just get cut because they can't make the new standards, seems like we'd be hitting towards the anti-golden age.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

:wrong:

The current golden age is 2015-present at KTM Sportmotorcycle Aktiengesellschaft, the last one was every super-1000cc sportbike from a Japanese manufacturer from the FI era to Euro 4.

The Hawk might be pretty, but getting 40mpg on a 170mph loving missile that will run for 100,000 miles without a hiccup is amazing.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 24, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

It's more that I'd like to have powerful but light/small bikes, and adding displacement to make the same power is going to make the bike heavier and bulkier / wider. You can certainly feel the difference in width on a speed triple vs a daytona, but if you don't live in a place that allows lane splitting it may not be as important to you.

I mean, it's cool that new bikes will have even more electronics and aids to keep you from crashing, but if a lot of models just get cut because they can't make the new standards, seems like we'd be hitting towards the anti-golden age.

Nah it doesn't work like that, small capacity jumps don't meaningfully change the physical bulk of the engine because they're usually just differences in internal dimensions. The street vs speed triple difference isn't because of the capacity, it's because there's twenty years' of technological development between the two and engines got a whole lot lighter and smaller during that time.

Like the ducati testastretta is exactly the same physical size from 750 all the way to to the 1098, the desmodue is identical in size from 400 to 1100.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Why does everyone in the EU sell indicators, but nobody sells adapter plates to fit them in the huge OEM holes.

I don’t want to wait until October for this poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Do you have a hacksaw and drill? Making an adapter plate is a piece of piss. Buy some 30mm aluminium bar stock, cut one piece of aluminum to match the OEM hole (trace it with a pencil or marker) drill a hole the size of the generic turn signal base, then drill one for a 6mm or so bolt, cut a slightly bigger piece of aluminium (just buck a piece off, it doesn't have to match the hole, just be bigger than it) drill matching holes, bolt so that it sandwiches the fairing, install generic indicator, sand and polish to taste, a couple hours and you have a cute little "custom" accent on your bike, and need not worry about non-generic indicators again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
You had a xsr700 right? it's not using the default yamaha teardrop shape? ie these ones?

Edit: uhh, yeah. that is a strange shape
https://www.s2-concept.com/en/shop/fairing/hole-caps-and-covers/yamaha-xsr700-indicator-spacers-base-plates-detail

Supradog fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 2, 2019