Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Very rude.
Very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/ntbhr

A+ trolling

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
https://streamable.com/h2rwg

I wish we could reliably direct monsters around like this.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Varkas posted:

https://streamable.com/h2rwg

I wish we could reliably direct monsters around like this.

You can with decoys.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Sorry, I meant across greater distances and such, and to keep chaining them together. In my past experience, meatheads don't respond to decoys unless they landed very close, and it wouldn't last very long. Maybe I just need to re-test this because this would be a pretty awesome way to determine the location of building campers at the very least.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Varkas posted:

Sorry, I meant across greater distances and such, and to keep chaining them together. In my past experience, meatheads don't respond to decoys unless they landed very close, and it wouldn't last very long. Maybe I just need to re-test this because this would be a pretty awesome way to determine the location of building campers at the very least.

Yeah they are limited. Apparently meat heads now respond violently and quickly to poisoned players. I realize that is very different from what you want but if you have say a poisoned crossbow and see a player crouching by a meathead, if you tag him the meathead will immediately sense and aggro on the player.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
https://streamable.com/cga05

I'm sort of liking the new Winfield. I haven't used it much since it was damage nerfed with the headshot ammo rework awhile back, but I feel like it's easier to aim on the test server.

It probably helps that limbs don't block torso damage anymore. A lot of people have been complaining about the new Sparks but I think it works way better now that you have a guaranteed 149 damage on a body hit.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Oh wait wtf they seriously reduced ads sway across the board
gross

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah, the only weapon that I think could use a sway reduction is the Obrez since it's been outclassed by the uppercut. Otherwise...what???

Ran into this today. I sure hope it's a hidden feature not in the patch notes: https://streamable.com/0j9gs

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Varkas posted:

Yeah, the only weapon that I think could use a sway reduction is the Obrez since it's been outclassed by the uppercut. Otherwise...what???

Ran into this today. I sure hope it's a hidden feature not in the patch notes: https://streamable.com/0j9gs

:staredog:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like they're changing how weapon unlocks work again. I don't entirely get it but it definitely sounds easier though, again, it all comes down to the numbers.

quote:

New Unlock Conditions
Weapon variations are now unlocked following an XP-based unlock system, instead of specific kill goals as used for the daily and weekly challenges
XP rewards for player kills have been halved to allow for normalized XP earnings across both PvE and PvP for the purpose of weapon variation unlock challenges (i.e. a kill against a player with equal skill is now worth 250 XP instead of 500 XP)

Developer Note:

With this update, we have made a change to how the challenges in the Book of Weapons work, changing to an XP-based system instead of the current specific challenges. We had to use the existing system for our initial test server deployment (which makes sense for daily and weekly challenges, as well as Book of Monsters unlocks) since the new XP system was not available in time. Unfortunately, this has caused some irritation within the community as the unlocks felt very 'grindy' and in some cases forced unwanted playstyles on players.

So, with this patch, earning XP with a weapon (or its variants) fills a bar towards the next unlock. This will make the progression system feel less like a "side quests" and allows players to simply unlock new variants by playing how they like, as long as they are using a weapon from the same unlock category. Of course, the new system is still meant to give a slightly different experience from how it works on Live, but that is intentional. It gives more control to players in choosing what equipment they focus and work on to reach their unlock goals, rather than having everything available automatically with ranking up.
Also a fairly popular youtube/streamer/whatever took a look at the game so now Crytek just needs to pay off more like him and maybe people will buy the game at launch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4ReHouCmw

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://old.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/clf0bq/you_havent_fixed_the_progression_system_its_still/

Basticle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 3, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

This is written by the saddest dumbest human being

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
he's also right. it's an atrocious system.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Rysithusiku posted:

he's also right. it's an atrocious system.

Absolutely. But some people simply don't know how to provide feedback in constructive ways without randomly bolding things and being dramatic.

These devs have listened to the community more than almost any other dev I've ever seen develop a game. The first iteration of the unlock system was worse (tied to challenges) and in one week they adjusted it to be xp based instead. I have no doubt if its still unbearable they'll change it or seriously reduce the requirements, thats why its on a...

test server

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
it's pretty simple. just make xp apply to everything in your loadout.
wanna level your dynamite faster? take 3 sticks of dynamite into a match so it gets the lion's share of exp.
e: to be clear I mean make everything get 100% xp. if you wanna disadvantage yourself by going into a match with 2 conversions, then do it.
also things that can reasonably be stacked (like consumables) would just have higher xp costs to unlock

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Rysithusiku posted:

it's pretty simple. just make xp apply to everything in your loadout.
wanna level your dynamite faster? take 3 sticks of dynamite into a match so it gets the lion's share of exp.
e: to be clear I mean make everything get 100% xp. if you wanna disadvantage yourself by going into a match with 2 conversions, then do it.
also things that can reasonably be stacked (like consumables) would just have higher xp costs to unlock

I guess? Don't make it stack but make each unique item get 100% of all xp gained. Gaming an unlock system is bad design. Doing it by unique weapon and still giving it all the xp ensures you can play exactly how you want and everything you typically use will still get xp. Don't have to change your playstyle and will unlock over time.

Or revert back to oroginal bloodline unlock only. I dunno, I like the xp unlock system it just needs retuning.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I havent looked into it, have they done any changes to how you earn XP in kills yet?

Currently its based entirely on the tier of the hunter you killed which is dumb as poo poo since 90% of players just get the free tier 1s. Instead it needs to be based on the hunter level and the bloodline/prestige of the enemy player.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Basticle posted:

I havent looked into it, have they done any changes to how you earn XP in kills yet?

Currently its based entirely on the tier of the hunter you killed which is dumb as poo poo since 90% of players just get the free tier 1s. Instead it needs to be based on the hunter level and the bloodline/prestige of the enemy player.

Its a fixed 250xp for hunter kils now, tiers don't matter.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://old.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/cmse7h/news_hunt_showdown_how_to_earn_rewards_before_the/

quote:

Hunters,

One week before we launch Hunt: Showdown on August 27th, we will need to perform a server wipe. The server wipe will take place on August 19th. But between now and August 18 at 23:59PM CEST, you can earn rewards by prestiging as many times as you can!

What exactly will we wipe?

Everything but prestige will be wiped from the server in preparation for our full launch. This means that your money, Hunters, inventory, and statistics will be reset. You will be starting off with a clean slate, while still keeping the prestige you worked hard for.

Prestige Rewards Are Forever (And How to Earn Them)

If you have prestiged during Early Access, you can still get your hands on those shiny prestige rewards.

Below you can find an overview of all the rewards that you can earn, up to prestige 50 (the current max).

Prestige 1-4, 6-9, 20, 30, and 40: one random Legendary skin.
Prestige 5: Sparks LLR Legendary, “Louisiana Lustrum"
Prestige 10: Bornheim No. 3 Legendary, “Golden Ticket"
Prestige 25: Quad Derringer Legendary, “Silver Quarter"
Prestige 50: Winfield M1873 Legendary, “Fifty Laurels"
All rewards will be handed out retroactively, once the prelaunch week starts. So if you don't see them in your account immediately, don't worry, they are on the way.

Pre-Launch Week

Starting on August 19th, we will kick off our prelaunch week – and bring 1.0 to the live server one week early! That means a couple of things. The biggest is that we will raise the Prestige level max to 100, and a new set of rewards will become available!

You'll also have one last week to buy Hunt at the reduced Early Access price before it goes up to full launch price on the 27th AND to get a hold of the Early Access-exclusive weapon skin, “The Benefactor."

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So the 10 and up prestige rewards are going to what... 5 people?

I am actually curious to see the current spread. I imagine there are a massive majority of people that never prestiged at all, and then a few lunatics up in the stratosphere (having been killed by them)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I think its more spread out than that.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/a-new-set-of-challenges-emerge

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

On the test server the C96 now has more recoil, more total ammo and uses Special Ammo instead of medium and costs much more.

I'm ok with all of this

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Basticle posted:

On the test server the C96 now has more recoil, more total ammo and uses Special Ammo instead of medium and costs much more.

I'm ok with all of this

loving good

Where are the patch notes?

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 10, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

I'm ok with all of this

What's the c96?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

DarkDobe posted:

What's the c96?

Dolche

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Oh that is a LOVELY change.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Skyarb posted:

loving good

Where are the patch notes?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/770720/announcements/detail/1600386707024962967

quote:

The Dolch and its game balance has been troubling us for some time now, we have tried many different solutions during the Early Access period. The dilemma we are facing is that we want to ensure the weapon is portrayed correctly, being one of the most powerful and advanced weapons of its time, firing bullets at velocities unmatched by classic black powder handguns. On the other hand however, we have to find a compromise between pros and cons to ensure it has a balanced spot in the arsenal and is not considered OP. This is not an easy task, but just like with the recent changes to the Uppercut, we feel it's necessary to encourage variety and mix up the meta.

With the changes in this update, we want to clearly position the Dolch as an endgame weapon. It is a powerful weapon and that comes with a price. So, besides increasing its cost (see further below) we are also making it harder to use: On one hand we are drastically increasing its recoil even further, and on the other, we are making it harder to resupply by changing the ammo type from Medium Bullet to Prototype Bullet, which is described as a "Modern Smokeless Powder Pistol Cartridge" that refills from Special ammo packs only, just like the Crossbow and the Nitro Express Rifle. The actual ballistics are identical to how it worked before.

To compensate for these nerfs, we are reverting a previous change that reduced the Dolch's extra ammo to just 5 rounds. This change was originally done in order to reduce the effects of equipping additional medium ammo weapons, just to give extra rounds to the Dolch. With the Dolch effectively having its own ammo type now, we can safely increase the extra ammo back to 10 extra rounds, giving it a full stripper clip reload without complicated extra ammo management.

We hope that the combination of these changes will allow the Dolch to finally find its place in the arsenal, having a solid mix of advantages and disadvantages, making it a rare, but prized weapon to bring into the Bayou. Please tell us what you think!

quote:

Dolch 96 price has been increased from $490 to $750
Dolch 96 Precision price has been increased from $550 to $790

these seem like sensible changes

Basticle fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 10, 2019

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I finally managed to pull this off https://streamable.com/bbkrn

:smuggo:

also, https://streamable.com/k2b7k

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Live release got pushed back.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm ok with that since I'm not real thrilled by some of the changes yright now but mostly because I'm prestige 9 and Daddy needs to get to 10 to get that legendary bergman

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

1.0 scheduled to go live tomorrow morning https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/ct6d2e/live_server_maintenance_for_10_update_21th_10am/

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

First two game on launch, headshot by the first hunter I see one of whom is already loving level 36 jesus christ.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

First two game on launch, headshot by the first hunter I see one of whom is already loving level 36 jesus christ.

You know thats the Hunter level and not their bloodline, right? 36 is like 3 or 4 sucessfull missions and the updates been out since like 3AM EST.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Quick thoughts on 1.0:

Pros:

- Trios are surprisingly fun as hell.
- Women hunters are cool, plus it pisses off chuds.
- You can now bind, if you want, seperate keys for interacting with objects, and stop bleeding/stop burning.

Cons:

- The menus are so bad. Everything is split up into like twice as many screens as before, and simple functions like buying and equiping weapons takes 3 times as many clicks.
- The hunter grunting noises for jumping, meleeing, getting shot etc. are loving terrible, men and women alike.
- A lot of things (especially meleeing zombies) makes so much more noise than before, it agros NPCs real loving bad. Trying to sneak up on another team (for example if they're killing a boss) is so much more difficult now since theres an army of zombies you have to now kill and probably make a ton of noise in the process.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 24, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I think they are trying to make those quiet movement/melee perks more valuable but overdoing it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Game is out proper and for now the player count is really healthy!

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
I'm really disappointed with 1.0.

The new menu UI is atrocious, it's like they asked a UX expert what makes a good menu then did the total opposite of what he told them. It's clear that it was changed for the console release, but still... You can make a nice menu that works on both PC and Xbox without making it some gigantic cluttered mess.

They almost completely removed weapon sway from the game, which blows my mind. The weapon sway was fantastic, it made it so you couldn't just flickshot people and strafespam from cover to plink away at people. You had to really commit to lining up a shot at longer ranges. Headshots are now much easier to land, which means firefights become more frustrating due to people being insta-downed more often. With players being insta-downed more often, the dynamics of the firefights in the game have totally changed. It used to be super tense standoffs where smart maneuvering, flanking, and consumables played a bigger part. Now, it seems that often you'll have someone get killed before you can even get close enough to make use of dynamite. And with the faster downing of players, it means firefights become weighted towards one team faster. The end result is you end up in steamroll situations where the team that's down a man ends up overwhelmed very quickly. The removal of sway also destroyed the weapon meta they spent so much time perfecting. The pistols (especially the pax and uppercut) are like pocket rifles now. The Sparks had its ammo pool doubled (for some insane loving reason - i never had ammo problems even when it just had 10 shots). The Winfield got turned into a crappier Vetterli and is no longer really a competitive choice if you want to go toe to toe against more expensive guns. Its rate of fire got nerfed and you need a perk in order to be able to keep looking down sights while firing.

I haven't hosed with gunslinger mode but people seem to think that there's no downside at all for people using it. If true then that's just one more disappointment to add to the pile. I'll reserve judgement.

LOD pop ins and texture quality seems to have been decreased with their optimizations for console. Not the end of the world but i'm running the game on high and it still looks somewhat meh. The shadows look especially cheap, even maxed out. CryEngine used to be the gold standard for beautiful scenery, but i find this game certainly could look better.

Trio mode is interesting, it results in way more crazy prolonged fights but the aforementioned changes to weapon sway have put a damper on the fun for me.

Reducing the darksight boost to 5 seconds was slightly too much of a nerf, in my opinion. They should have tried 8 seconds instead. With only 5 seconds, you get maybe 3 or 4 scans out before you burn through the darksight boost. This means you really have to ration it, which is much more difficult in games with trios. I predict the meta will tend towards being more campy because of this change. People will be less confident with being able to protect themselves on the run if they have even less access to the darksight boost. They will stay indoors where they have more cover and try to draw people to them before leaving. Other people will just camp at the exit and pray that the bounty holders burn out their darksight boost before they get there.

All in all, not especially jazzed with their sudden changes to weapon handling and the general meta. It feels like they reserved all their controversial changes for 1.0 and kind of just kicked it out the door with all this stuff tacked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I'm so disappointed with the sway reduction. Such a huge step backwards.