Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
were they able to clean the old person smell from his area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Janitor Prime posted:

were they able to clean the old person smell from his area?

Considering he was in his 50s, it wasn't that bad!

Though I never worked with the dude so.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

rear end in a top hat sent a follow up email offering a $100 amazon gift card IF company signed with them. pathetic.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

KidDynamite posted:

rear end in a top hat sent a follow up email offering a $100 amazon gift card IF company signed with them. pathetic.

bender_one_and_two_zeroes.mp4

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KidDynamite posted:

:sever:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

KidDynamite posted:

Ah, what a good deal I have for you, make your company think you're an idiot in exchange for this elusive never seen before Amazon gift card

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
amazon grift card

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i would forward that to my boss to laugh at

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I respect the guy who did a sick mic drop email to team@company.com when he quit without notice, but not in the "i would consider this person for employment at a future place of work" way.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Whenever I get an offer I want to accept whether I do a mic drop and bail or give 3-4 weeks notice is basically going to be determined by how much of a shithead my boss is being on the day I receive the offer. I will not do a team@, but maybe a my-team@

I have definitely given thought to the logistics of getting my keyboard and mouse home without drawing suspicion, though.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
final interview done, have sent them my salary expectations. should know by Friday.

on the same day my present employer advised I was losing my desk and moving to flex, and that there won’t be any movement on promotions/global transfers etc until after the current reorg chaos is done. I haven’t said anything to them yet but they really are making things pretty easy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

final interview done, have sent them my salary expectations. should know by Friday.

on the same day my present employer advised I was losing my desk and moving to flex, and that there won’t be any movement on promotions/global transfers etc until after the current reorg chaos is done. I haven’t said anything to them yet but they really are making things pretty easy.

hope u get to flex on em

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flex seating is a great excuse to work from home almost all the time

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

flex seating is a great excuse to work from home almost all the time

to: qirex
re: wfh

hey bud,

imma need you to come in and be a team player. wfh makes everyone in the team look bad

ps we’ve removed your desk and replaced it with nothing, we’re one desk short

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

why is flex seating even a thing unless you're like 90% remote which means the 10% of the time you're at HQ is taken up with meetings

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

hobbesmaster posted:

why is flex seating even a thing unless you're like 90% remote which means the 10% of the time you're at HQ is taken up with meetings

it's a fun word to use in place of "we're too cheap to get enough office space to fit everyone"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

like dan luu or someone has done a cost-benefit analysis of maintaining a remote work infra vs office space right

i'm sure it comes down on the side of remote work

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Share Bear posted:

like dan luu or someone has done a cost-benefit analysis of maintaining a remote work infra vs office space right

i'm sure it comes down on the side of remote work

"bbut collaboration"
- someone who has a huge private office or at the very least a conference room nobody can book but their assistant

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

"bbut collaboration"
- someone who has a huge private office or at the very least a conference room nobody can book but their assistant

a million dogs and babies cry out via skype but are suddenly silenced by a manager with a control problem

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Share Bear posted:

a million dogs and babies cry out via skype but are suddenly silenced by a manager with a control problem

christ i'm glad i haven't met any of these yet

give it time, i'm sure

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

last time I seriously heard flex tried was Cisco trying to Dog food it over some new product that would let you port your work number to wherever you happened to be that moment

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Hughlander posted:

last time I seriously heard flex tried was Cisco trying to Dog food it over some new product that would let you port your work number to wherever you happened to be that moment

several of my jobs have had this cisco feature and it is actually 100% awesome and works perfectly

which is not a good reason to have 85% as many desks as you do workers

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
we’re fully open office but at least the c-suite does it too, i’ll give them that. and no flex nonsense.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

raminasi posted:

we’re fully open office but at least the c-suite does it too, i’ll give them that. and no flex nonsense.

well, at least they're in it I guess

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

raminasi posted:

same although the ceo, cfo, and head of hr are in the back corner away from everyone else

cpo, vp of product delivery, and cso are all sat with the engineering (and infosec) teams tho which is nice

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
haha nope the new arrangement at the office is anyone with direct reports gets a permanent desk.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

raminasi posted:

worked in a place like this and the area with executives had twice the space and plants per desk compared to the peons so it was somehow worse

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
at my last job the c-suite and department level higher ups would just take over large meeting rooms for themselves. everyone had a real fun time trying to have team meetings while some jackass had a 1on1 in a 20 person conference room

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

worked in a place like this and the area with executives had twice the space and plants per desk compared to the peons so it was somehow worse

lol. I used to work at a place where the execs had the exact same desks as everyone else. one row was CEO, COO, New joiner straight out of uni, mid level finance guy.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
since having kids going into the office is like a mini vacation.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

that feeling doesn't stop

source: I have a 4.5yo and a 1yo and it's really still true

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

:same:

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

I start my new position next week with a company that is paying me really well and is really excited to work with me

another company that I’ve been interested in for months is finally getting around to interviewing me which puts me in the position of potentially leaving a job right when I started.

I feel like a dick

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

silvergoose posted:

that feeling doesn't stop

source: I have a 4.5yo and a 1yo and it's really still true

this is why I find companies that discriminate against people with families so funny. I roll into work now like awwww yiss motha fukin unit tests.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

bitchtard posted:

I start my new position next week with a company that is paying me really well and is really excited to work with me

another company that I’ve been interested in for months is finally getting around to interviewing me which puts me in the position of potentially leaving a job right when I started.

I feel like a dick

Yeah they'll feel live they've been conned for precisely 30 seconds after you've left the building and then they'll forget you even exist, maybe less

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

qhat posted:

Yeah they'll feel live they've been conned for precisely 30 seconds after you've left the building and then they'll forget you even exist, maybe less

We had a dude accept an offer and then bail on us after we got H1B stuff worked out, my boss is still bitter about it like 2 months later.

But I mean, who gives a poo poo?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bitchtard posted:

I feel like a dick

two weeks notice is customary

beyond that, do you really owe anybody anything?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Good: A small team of me, a senior lead, and an intern I mentor (works part-time during school year) spent the last year saving a product from certain doom by fixing poor architectural decisions and rebuilding huge chunks of it. Senior lead is awesome and we get along fantastically. Let me do most of the architectural designs, make most technical choices, was a really good mentor, got me back on track when I started over-engineering stuff. Management loves me, thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread, and has me pegged for promotion.

Bad: After the application starts becoming a well-oiled system that's enjoyable to work on, business decides that the product isn't really relevant to the rest of what the company does, EOLs it, and all development stops.

Good: Engineering comes out looking good because we turned a turd into gold and everyone agrees that product EOL is just a business decision. Senior lead goes to a new team that's about to have a management position open up that they're pegged for. I get moved to a different product that actually makes money. It's old, deploying features has a huge cycle time, team working on it has also been underperforming, but the system is stable and the product does make money. I'm tasked with modernizing it and getting it into a state where it can scale and handle the amount of growth it's experiencing. As a part of me joining, teams working on the product will be shuffled, and boss lets me pick who my team members will be.

Bad: Before new teams form and I join, one final feature release is being wrapped up. It's been like a month of crunch leading up to the release for the teams working in it. The manager of the product who is responsible for the crunch abruptly leaves, dev team continues to crunch, release is slightly late, they get hosed on performance reviews, basically everyone on the development team resigns or transfers to other teams. Only one person that was going to be on the team I'm joining ends up sticking around.

Good: This person is a great developer and has the most knowledge about the system out of anyone that was on the product before the exodus. Knowing that I'll be working with this person makes me feel good about the future despite the poo poo-show before I joined. I get excited about forming another duo and turning another turd to gold.

Bad: Yesterday after work good developer and I go out for drinks and they confide in me that they're giving notice on Monday. Apparently before the old manager left the company they told good developer that everyone in management hates them and it's in their best interest to find a different job. I learn some stories about other bullshit management has done. Now no one that knows anything about this product will be left in 2 weeks.

Good: thread title

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 25, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ThePeavstenator posted:

a month of crunch

this alone is an immediate "holy poo poo management is incompetent" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Comradephate posted:

We had a dude accept an offer and then bail on us after we got H1B stuff worked out, my boss is still bitter about it like 2 months later.

But I mean, who gives a poo poo?

Your boss needs to get over it