Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I’ve played various versions of City of the Big Shoulders, and after my third play I found it fairly boring. I rather play 1857/Arkwright for the same time commitment.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Dune would be perfect. Emperor v Harkonnen v guild v Atreides+Fremen

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Volko's already said that it will be an original sci-fi IP.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Booo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Have any of y'all played Museum?

Just tried it 4p. There's art and artifacts from around the world, it's beautiful, and holy crap there's no substance to the game at all. You draft cards from a market, you get to draft on not-your-turn, and you get to draft and play cards on your turn, you pay via the cards values, you're trying to form sets based on secret objectives.

Sooooo we all just took cards that were high value, matched our goals, and had almost no interaction. I rushed the game end, won substantially, and will never play it again. Maybe it's better 2p or something.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Any opinions on Dungeon Degenerates? I imagine that it's something that most of this group would be absolutely not interested in and that's a legit POV. That said, for those of you who did feel inspired to give it a try, thoughts?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Memnaelar posted:

Any opinions on Dungeon Degenerates? I imagine that it's something that most of this group would be absolutely not interested in and that's a legit POV. That said, for those of you who did feel inspired to give it a try, thoughts?

I had fun the couple times I played it, but I'm pretty easy. Having said that, unless the art/design is particularly exciting for you, it doesn't really do anything special that you can't find elsewhere.

But, I hate the art style/colors. They give me a headache. So possibly that could be influencing my opinion here.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

silvergoose posted:

Have any of y'all played Museum?

Just tried it 4p. There's art and artifacts from around the world, it's beautiful, and holy crap there's no substance to the game at all. You draft cards from a market, you get to draft on not-your-turn, and you get to draft and play cards on your turn, you pay via the cards values, you're trying to form sets based on secret objectives.

Sooooo we all just took cards that were high value, matched our goals, and had almost no interaction. I rushed the game end, won substantially, and will never play it again. Maybe it's better 2p or something.

Yep. The best way to play the game is to go through the deck researching the cards that really interest you.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Maybe you could take the cards, categorize them, and use them to play Modern Art instead.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

A fictional setting for a COIN game would make it way more appealing to me. Several of the COIN settings are turn-offs due to one or more factions having historically bad reputations or the conflict behind the game's setting having historically awful outcomes for many people.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

medchem posted:

A fictional setting for a COIN game would make it way more appealing to me. Several of the COIN settings are turn-offs due to one or more factions having historically bad reputations or the conflict behind the game's setting having historically awful outcomes for many people.

as opposed to other wargames

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

medchem posted:

Isn’t that what root pretty much is?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It has the asymmetry, but root plays more like a CDG. But yes it's for the people who want historical conflicts without the historical context. I do hope heavier economic games with cute animal themes start to get published as well. I was hype for raccoon tycoon until learning it was a very light economic game, hardly economic at all and more akin to resource conversion engine builders.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Nah root is influenced by the cards but is still primarily an action point system with different restrictions for each faction. Cards are more of a currency in most uses. It’s nothing like a CDG, something you’d know if you had played the game! :bahgawd:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Actually, you will find that Root is an auction

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Root is a deckbuilder

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Durendal posted:

I’ve played various versions of City of the Big Shoulders, and after my third play I found it fairly boring. I rather play 1857/Arkwright for the same time commitment.

Interesting. I think I'd rather play that then slog through Arkwright again. I think I've only had one 3+ hour game. It did its job and now I really do want to play 18xx at some point if I can remember the enough of the standard rules to not feel dumb.

Most of the games I've played of CotBS end up in that 2-3 hour range with some rare instances of 1.5 hours. But I have a pretty heavy bias and have played it in its incarnations a poo poo ton.

Also my copy comes tomorrow :woop:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Pax Pamir is a quick game once everyone knows how to play. At our meetup last night we got through 2 games in around 2 hours and 15 minutes. It's really nice to have a game that short that still has meaty decisions.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Actually Root is a dexterity game where you stack your meeples while waiting for your turn to stop stacking them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Nah root is influenced by the cards but is still primarily an action point system with different restrictions for each faction. Cards are more of a currency in most uses. It’s nothing like a CDG, something you’d know if you had played the game! :bahgawd:

El Grande is a CDG, except you get to do both the event and the ops!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Morpheus posted:

Actually Root is a dexterity game where you stack your meeples while waiting for your turn to stop stacking them.

Same with splendor and chips, ticket to Ride and trains...

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

as opposed to other wargames

Their themes can be a turnoff as well, but COIN games are talked about more often in this thread and among some of the video reviewers out there.

Edit: Whether Root is a COIN game or not or even if it's a war game or not, it certainly feels like what I, a non-wargamer, would think of when thinking of war games. Also, its theme is certainly more appealing to me than if it really was the Taliban, ISIS, U.S.A. Al Qaeda, or whatever it was originally based on. I've played Root a couple of times and I wasn't turned off by the theme at least. If anything, the theme is a major plus for me. I don't think I'd ever buy it, though, because I don't foresee it getting played enough.

medchem fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 21, 2019

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Yall got any tips for Mega Civilization? Skimmed the rules and it looks like the main obstacle to doing well would be luck in drawing calamities, and I guess maybe a good tech order.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eschatos posted:

Yall got any tips for Mega Civilization? Skimmed the rules and it looks like the main obstacle to doing well would be luck in drawing calamities, and I guess maybe a good tech order.

Luck on calamaties is a big thing. I've only played it once, but if I play it again I'll be a bit more patient in assembling the sets of commodities instead of just cashing in every time I had a chance to buy something.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
No no, not the Taliban and the US. Ever see the Americans building lumber yards in Afghanistan? The cats are the British, the birds are the Indian aristocracy, the mice is Gandhi. I'm not certain who the racoon is.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Eschatos posted:

There's a BGG file that has some basic tips for every civ. You have quite a bit of control in calamities, as certain techs let you draw more or less from a particular pile. Wait until those calamities show up, then buy the full stack after it's done.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Squishy posted:

No no, not the Taliban and the US. Ever see the Americans building lumber yards in Afghanistan? The cats are the British, the birds are the Indian aristocracy, the mice is Gandhi. I'm not certain who the racoon is.

The Raccoon is the dudes form The Man Who Would Be King

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

E: ^^^ lmao

Mr. Squishy posted:

The racoon kind of feels out of place-like he's kinda like lone warlords who make a name for themselves like Jose Paez or Pancho Villa but the theming is way too fantasy imo

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Mr. Squishy posted:

The racoon is obviously the JoCo elephant

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Vagabond is a walking investor card

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Vagabond is the embodiment of True Neutral from the old D&D books. They fight for the underdog and immediately switch sides when they start to win. When you steal from the rich and give to the poor the only one to gain a net benefit is yourself.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What does victory in Root mean, especially for the Vagabond?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
He became a famous/infamous character in the woods. He's a Robinhood/Link/Aragorn lone wolf inspired character.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So I got t-boned at ~55 mph. Damage wasn't as bad as I expected but I did get whipped around 360. I keep several board games stacked on the passenger side and they flung around like bullets.

Somehow Gloomhaven went from the back seat to the trunk of my hatchback. It got hit square center by the impact and probably launched by the door airbags as well.

But thanks to the Broken Token insert, it absorbs most of the damage. And from what I can see it's not even permanent damage, it broke at the hinges.

The point of impact where the door smacked it.

Banged up around the corners but my campaign "Only the Lonely" has survived.

Remember, always insure your board games. You never know what'll happen.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
New COIN on p500

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-830-chinas-war-1937-1941.aspx

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

al-azad posted:

So I got t-boned at ~55 mph. Damage wasn't as bad as I expected but I did get whipped around 360. I keep several board games stacked on the passenger side and they flung around like bullets.

Somehow Gloomhaven went from the back seat to the trunk of my hatchback. It got hit square center by the impact and probably launched by the door airbags as well.

But thanks to the Broken Token insert, it absorbs most of the damage. And from what I can see it's not even permanent damage, it broke at the hinges.

The point of impact where the door smacked it.

Banged up around the corners but my campaign "Only the Lonely" has survived.

Remember, always insure your board games. You never know what'll happen.

You should send those pictures to Broken Token. Maybe they'll send you another insert or some swag

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What I really like about the COIN games is the basic idea of playing "what if?" with the timing of significant events in a larger historical context.

Curiously Twilight Struggle didn't work for me, but can't have it all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

canyoneer posted:

You should send those pictures to Broken Token. Maybe they'll send you another insert or some swag

I’m planning on it. Don’t want a replacement, it has character.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

al-azad posted:

Wild. Glad to hear that you are okay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

al-azad posted:

I assume you got my PM about this, but if not, be sure to take a look.