Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
all socdems are bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
since the questions are likely to keep coming, glenn on chapo did cover a bit of recent brazilian history and it sounded pretty accurate to me. You should listen to this if you want to know more.

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/336-neom-2049-feat-glenn-greenwald-72919

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I recall reading the Economist some years ago saying that PT was flirting with State Capitalism (Chinese style).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

nerdz posted:

since the questions are likely to keep coming, glenn on chapo did cover a bit of recent brazilian history and it sounded pretty accurate to me. You should listen to this if you want to know more.

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/336-neom-2049-feat-glenn-greenwald-72919

I already listened to that episode. I love both Chapo and Glenn. Even though Glenn can be divisive around these parts.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Interesting letter to the doj asking about doj involvement with lava jato

http://dearcolleague.us/2019/08/clo...ties-in-brazil/

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I already listened to that episode. I love both Chapo and Glenn. Even though Glenn can be divisive around these parts.

Listen to this one also because oh boy Glenn fucks some things hard over there. "Oh, Brazilians not liking Corruption is actually a generation gap" is kind of galaxy brained given how the Brazilian Army operated and all.

I get the feeling there's a bit of a gag order going on between Portugal and Brazil because LITERALLY NO PORTUGUESE PAPER is covering the fires. I mean they're happily dancing around the Haddad arrest and reporting the accusations in face value, but... no peep about the fires? Fires that even Vox and BBC are acknowledging?

Kunster has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Aug 21, 2019

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kunster posted:

I get the feeling there's a bit of a gag order going on between Portugal and Brazil because LITERALLY NO PORTUGUESE PAPER is covering the fires. I mean they're happily dancing around the Haddad arrest and reporting the accusations in face value, but... no peep about the fires? Fires that even Vox and BBC are acknowledging?

It's not new, really. Just like the Itaipu scandal has barely scratched the written media and television not at all. They'll report the president running his mouth because that's stuff everyone does and no one cares, but actual scandals with teeth get buried or only mentioned briefly and then never followed up on.

Globo and the rest are all too aware that shaking up the regime too much right now would boost the opposition, and they'll gladly let the country burn to the ground before that happens.

It would be different if they had a neoliberal centrist in the mold of Aecio or FHC rising to be able to pick up the pieces and become the Great Moderate Savior, but they don't, so that's that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

English media is running pieces on how Bolso runs his mouth about poop but nothing about how he's putting cronies in charge of every government agency that is capable of investigating him and his family's corruption and ties with the paramilitary gangs

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I recall reading the Economist some years ago saying that PT was flirting with State Capitalism (Chinese style).
oooo, look at you, you read The Economist

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Sephyr posted:

It's not new, really. Just like the Itaipu scandal has barely scratched the written media and television not at all. They'll report the president running his mouth because that's stuff everyone does and no one cares, but actual scandals with teeth get buried or only mentioned briefly and then never followed up on.

Oh I'm aware, it's just way more overt than usual.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

I hate The Economist. I read it during my naive college years.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

punk rebel ecks posted:

Then why aren't they winning elections? Who gives a poo poo about Car Wash scandals.

Taking this on a global scale: Why are ultra-nationalists winning elections in a shitton of countries in the last couple of years? It's part of a clear trend...

Local scale: the worker's party was completely mauled, the last worker's party president got impeached* and the most popular party person is in prison**. So yeah, no surprise they have no momentum for winning any elections now (and probably ever again). Also keep in mind that in this last election the total voting population was around the same as the one before, but the number of null/blank/absent votes almost DOUBLED. This totally decided the election in favor of Bolsonaro, the only candidate with some kind of political momentum (even if it originally came from a fringe minority)

*for flimsy reasons
**also for flimsy reasons

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

That sucks. Is there any hope for the Brazilian Left now?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
no

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

gently caress.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

get that OUT of my face posted:

I remember an anecdote about someone having a conversation about a new book and realized that the other guy had it all wrong bc he hadn't read it just the review in the economist which also got it all wrong

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1160807884378144773

https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1160810260300357634

https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1164320206937702400

https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1164322399463989248

Well, that's terrifying.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There was a Comando Vermelho graffiti in one of the classrooms of the public school that I intern as a history teacher

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

those loving NGO's, I swear to god

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I hate The Economist. I read it during my naive college years.
i was making a reference to an old Onion article, which was a point/counterpoint column. one side was "The Economist Says (something, I forgot)" and the counterpoint was "Ooooo, Look At Me! I Read The Economist!"

but yeah it sucks rear end and that take is extremely in their wheelhouse

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/brazilianboomer/status/1164587004224561153

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So they are going to build gambling cities where the rainforest once stood?

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why do Brazilians hate nature so much

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

maker posted:

Mosquitos are annoying

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

maker posted:

We take it for granted.

There is a widely held belief that Europe and the US had to sacrifice their nature in order to industrialize and that environmental regulations are a means of preventing Brazil from likewise developing. Nevermind that 21st century economics have widely different resource demands than 19th century ones. That's the rationalization, but the reasons for the fires are ideological (it is a way to say "gently caress you" to an environmentalist strawman) and economic, but only for the ones setting the fires. A large part of the areas being burned belong to the union and/or are environmental reserves, and for the large landowners in that frontier that will literally be free real estate to expand their soy and pastures.

I really doubt we'll get cheaper beef or soy from the increased supply, so this has zero benefits for the actual people of Brazil, and even if it did, the cost is not worth it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lol the Novo party is trying to distance themselves from Minister Salles

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/AdrianoDefendi/status/1164692135687479296

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

pqp..

how do boomers get to this stage of brain rot?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lmao

https://twitter.com/rachelkennedy84/status/1164865780435099648?s=20

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The french are also considering canceling the EU-Mercosur trade deal too. I can't wait for us to become 80s South Africa

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

The french are also considering canceling the EU-Mercosur trade deal too. I can't wait for us to become 80s South Africa

Good.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jair Bolsarano is the handsomest man on television

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Bolsonaro seems cornered. I guess being a complete failtard internationally doesn't work well if you're not Trump?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, I guess they overestimated how much you can be odious and evil when you not the leader of a superpower

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
even apartheid SA had nukes to back up their failbrained macho settler colonialism

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Plutonis posted:

I can't wait for us to become 80s South Africa

Haven't we already?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
President Poopmouth is going to do a live national statement today.

Place your bets!

1- Lukewarm hypocritical call for unity and support

2- Frothing counter saying that Europe wants the amazon for itself and it's all fake news

3- Rambling attempts to mix 1 and 2.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Portugal is probably one of the only states right now trying to defend Brazil over this. Oh boy!

quote:

O chefe do Executivo português manifestou a disponibilidade de apoio para enfrentar os incêndios e defendeu que “o Brasil precisa de solidariedade e não de sanções”. Em declarações aos meios de comunicação social, António Costa aconselhou também a não confundir o “drama que está a ser vivido neste momento na Amazónia” com o acordo entre a União Europeia e a Mercosul.

“É um acordo comercial muito importante para a economia portuguesa, que teve mais de 20 anos a ser negociado, em que finalmente houve um acordo, em julho (…). A tragédia não deve ser utilizada por aqueles países que sempre se opuseram para reabrir o tema”, alertou o primeiro-ministro português, lembrando a historial de relações fraternas entre os dois países [Portugal e Brasil].

Reading the OP-eds on this are going to read like those twitter threads on callout culture by people whom you can scroll down and see like a long discussion on how, actually, Eric Garner deserved to get it and I need like the operation from PI to forget the Portuguese Language.