Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

CPColin posted:

Queen's English "public school" is equivalent to Real English "private school."

A private school is a really arcane kind of school that no longer exists. They were ran by guilds or the church, education in them was only for those related to members of the organization which owned it.

A public school is called that because any member of the public who can afford to pay may send their child there. In practice this meant the upper middle class.

The kind of school that normal people can go to is a state school, because they are owned and funded by the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always wondered why they were called public schools when you have to pay to get in, glad to know.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
The hideous part is that a lot of what became public schools were originally private schools, they just changed their business model slightly because public schools are considered nonprofit (even though you pay to go there) and so don't pay tax. Places like Eton are still highly infested with aristocrats and other recessed chin vermin.

Then you get "academies" and "free schools" which are former state schools which have been privatized. They still have to take everyone in, and they're still state funded, but they're exempt from all oversight and regulation and as such tend to have more CEOs and CTOs and god knows what else drawing £250k a year than they do actual teachers. Usually they're created by demolishing two failing schools and forcing them into stupid buildings with gimmicks like classrooms with their dividing walls removed.

Vulcan learning pits are genuinely welcoming in comparison.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend finally saw the first six episodes of DS9's season 6.

She was basically :O the entire time by the end of Sacrifice of Angels.

Ah, to witness someone seeing it for the first time.

It's too bad it's all a little bit down hill from that high point of the series. At least it's not as much of a drop off as BSG's post New Caprica episodes. I just loath having to watch the whole Pah Raith or Erzi poo poo again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Imo the bad poo poo in BSG is New Caprica itself, not what comes after. BSG has a great last season, if not for the last fifteen minutes being impressively insane nonsense no one would have a problem with it.

Now B5, there’s a disappointing last season.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What's wrong with BSG's last season? It ends with them finding a radioactive, dead world :colbert:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I guess I'm in the minority that thinks BSG would have been a far better show if they had just ended at the awesomeness battle of New Caprica and fat Apollo. However I think everyone can agree that the series finale was fukken stupid.

Anyhow, I know DS9's season 6 (post Operation Return) and season 7 are no where near as bad as the above-- S6 still has extremely high points like Sisko murdering that Romulan senator, for example. Maybe it's just that Season 7 is consistently good that the low points like Erzi or the constant cutting back to checking up on demonic-obsessed Dukat / Space-Pope-Nurse Ratchet stick out even more?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Last time I worked through DS9, I actually didn't find Ezri as annoying as I was expecting to, though I still think Jadzia >> Ezri (that's not a knock on Nicole De Boer, who was perfectly fine). The real disappointment of season seven for me was the pah-wraith arc that ended with Sisko throwing Dukat off of a cliff. It was lame and anti-climactic. I also really liked the irony of the end of Damar's story line.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I loves me some Ezri, but yeah, all that Pah Wraiths stuff kinda' reeked of "well, we've got three loose plot threads we need to tie up, so let's marry them all and pretend that was the plan."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Damar’s arc during the finale, along with how Garak and Kira were worked into it, was some good poo poo.

BSG would have been much better overall if they didn’t have that long series of episodes in season 3 that had nothing to do with anything besides whatever message they were trying to do. Was that the studio asking for more one off episodes for repeats down the road or something?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad whats his name learned so much from his time on DS9 for when he went on to do BSG. "Hmmm, the least popular and weakest things in DS9 were an over-reliance on supernatural elements to wrap up plots and a kinda bad and rushed feeling ending" and then quadrupled down on that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ezri was fine considering her being a thing was never planned and they had to throw all of that together when they found out Terry Farrell wasn't coming back

I've never heard anyone say they liked the whole Pah-Wraith storyline. The only episode with them in it that I really liked is the one where Dukat takes a bunch of followers to Empok Nor and at the end he just peaces out when his followers find out he's using them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad whats his name learned so much from his time on DS9 for when he went on to do BSG. "Hmmm, the least popular and weakest things in DS9 were an over-reliance on supernatural elements to wrap up plots and a kinda bad and rushed feeling ending" and then quadrupled down on that.
Ron Moore

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

Was that the studio asking for more one off episodes for repeats down the road or something?
That was exactly it, yes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

Imo the bad poo poo in BSG is New Caprica itself, not what comes after. BSG has a great last season, if not for the last fifteen minutes being impressively insane nonsense no one would have a problem with it.

Now B5, there’s a disappointing last season.

The back half of B5 season 5 is as strong (if not as intense) as anything that came before, and it ends at the peak of its game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I liked B5 in the 90s but when I tried rewatching it recently it seemed embarrassingly bad. DS9 still seems as good as ever. I don't know why.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

I liked B5 in the 90s but when I tried rewatching it recently it seemed embarrassingly bad. DS9 still seems as good as ever. I don't know why.

B5 is good actually

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skasion posted:

B5 is good actually

I know it's good I just can't stand watching it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, a lot of people have hinted at how hard Avery was to work with. If he thought you were a "real actor" he'd respect you, but the bar he set for that was incredibly high and the moment you let him down in any way you were on his poo poo-list. If he felt you were not 110% invested in the craft and acting was your life you were a poser not worthy of his time or respect.

That just makes me wish we had got the Sisko in First Contact idea that gets brought up here every so often. I imagine he would have loved acting with Patrick Stewart.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The back half of B5 season 5 is as strong (if not as intense) as anything that came before, and it ends at the peak of its game.

I wish more TV learned from the back half of B5. Denouement is important in a story. DS9's biggest faceplant is ending the Dominion War in the last episode. It really would have benefited from an eighth season.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

A whole season is too much for denouement. Two or three more episodes would have been fine (for DS9. Not B5 that would definitely take more), that’s a whole feature film worth of just wrapping up. I know JMS was trying to do the whole Lord of the Rings thing where there’s a whole book before the war kicks in and half a book after it’s won, but tbh that only barely works in Lord of the Rings. Dramatic structure with that proportion of falling action doesn’t mesh well with a format that devotes like 20 hours to each “act”.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno, I think you could easily get a season out of the aftermath of the most destructive single event in the history of the alpha quad. What happens with the Romulans at the end of the alliance? How does the Federation start to rebuild? Does Bajor finally join up? What does the Gamma Quadrant look like with peace? Can you still go there, is there a re-opening of relations and attempt to create a peaceful post-war settlement with the Dominion? When does Sisko come back and what is he like now? What's it like for Worf to finally be for reals in the Klingon Empire? How does Martok deal with his new position? Kira in command. What does Quark get up to with Odo off his back? Do we see Odo again? Are there still Founders hidden in the Alpha Quadrant? What is Garak getting up to now that he is back home? What happens to the Cardassians after the war?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There is a real open-ended question at the end of what the galactic political landscape is going to be like now that Cardassia has been humbled and the Dominion has backed down, or what even Bajor is going to be like having been the center of all this poo poo for a few years and now free, less relevant, and spiritually decapitated all at the same time.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've never heard anyone say they liked the whole Pah-Wraith storyline. The only episode with them in it that I really liked is the one where Dukat takes a bunch of followers to Empok Nor and at the end he just peaces out when his followers find out he's using them.

Was he even using them? I thought it seemed like the Pah-Wraiths genuinely wanted to try starting a competing religion to the Prophets, but Dukat couldn't goddamn keep it in his pants and when he had his employee performance review, the Pah-Wraiths just told him to jonestown the whole deal to cover it up.

It doesn't really ring that true as religion since there's not really much mysticism or ambiguity about things that would demand belief, there's just straight-up wizard powers available from empirically evident beings. Like I'm not really a religious person myself, but I know a lot about it and have respect for it, and I'm pretty sure the Pope doesn't have books of apocrypha that will strike unbelievers blind.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Does anybody know if there's a name for this extremely 70s/80s style of interior design, especially the colors and graphics?

I used to go to a gym like 20 years ago that looked almost identical to this.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I'm googling DS9 drama because I'm bored and apparently Siddig was Berman's first choice to play Sisko???

e: the same site has a bit about how him and Colm Meaney strongly disliked each other though so I dunno how accurate a source it is

e2: lol it says they brought Worf in to boost ratings and their first idea before that was to blow up Bajor

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 22, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hey so, I was browsing my local library's website for a few books and uh

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

hey so, I was browsing my local library's website for a few books and uh

Nicole DeBoer and Wallace Shawn are billed before Nana?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lester Shy posted:

Does anybody know if there's a name for this extremely 70s/80s style of interior design, especially the colors and graphics?

Dont think it has a name, maybe 'Two Tone'?
They did like to only use two colors, our Datsun was this same light brown top, dark brown rest.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

happyhippy posted:

Dont think it has a name, maybe 'Two Tone'?
They did like to only use two colors, our Datsun was this same light brown top, dark brown rest.

And then if you need a pop of color? A stripe of beet red and a stripe of ochre yellow, for that "sunset" feel.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

That just makes me wish we had got the Sisko in First Contact idea that gets brought up here every so often. I imagine he would have loved acting with Patrick Stewart.

I seem to recall Brooks getting on very well with Jonathan Frakes too, who would've directed him. It fits so much better when you think about it. Sisko could finally settle things with Picard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

I dunno the name of it but I can smell the carpet just from that image.

Behind the camera is the wood paneling.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I never noticed this exchange before :laugh:

quote:

Bashir: You’re not a changeling anymore. And now that you’re a humanoid, you have to learn to relax.
Odo: Hrph. That’s what you said last week.
Bashir: And?
Odo: ...and it helped. That, and the prune juice.
I want to see an episode where the B plot is newly-human Odo getting increasingly frustrated with everyone until he finally admits to Bashir that he doesn’t know how to poop.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HorseLord posted:

A private school is a really arcane kind of school that no longer exists. They were ran by guilds or the church, education in them was only for those related to members of the organization which owned it.

A public school is called that because any member of the public who can afford to pay may send their child there. In practice this meant the upper middle class.

The kind of school that normal people can go to is a state school, because they are owned and funded by the state.

Except we do actually still talk about private schools in the UK still. They're the for-pay schools that aren't quite as posh as Eton or whatever.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I remember getting a letter of recommendation as a child from my vicar for my application to a new school.

It was a catholic school but apparently one clergyman is as good as another?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

I remember getting a letter of recommendation as a child from my vicar for my application to a new school.

It was a catholic school but apparently one clergyman is as good as another?

I believe that’s what they call “an ecumenical matter”

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never noticed this exchange before :laugh:

I want to see an episode where the B plot is newly-human Odo getting increasingly frustrated with everyone until he finally admits to Bashir that he doesn’t know how to poop.

"Odo, do you have to potty?"

"No."

"Look away from Peppa Pig for a second, Odo. You're doing your poopy dance, should we sit on the toilet?"

"Don' WANNA sit on the potty"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Odo just using his bucket for something new.
I also enjoyed the newly human Q being terrified of sleeping.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sash! posted:

Odo just using his bucket for something new.

I picture him squatting atop of it, crying about "losing mass"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brawnfire posted:

I picture him squatting atop of it, crying about "losing mass"

“I don’t wanna wash my hands in the sonic sink! I washed them right before I lost mass in the other pot! I don’t need to and you’re not the Great Link of me!”

Oh god I’m having regression issues with a three year old and the toilet and this thread speaks to me now in a way it never has before.