Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFiLdByWIDY

it is chemically impossible to not be happy after watching this video. Lizzo is such a natural.

What an amazing performance and performer. I got into her relatively recently, but she is going to become the hugest star. She's even in that upcoming Hustlers movie with Constance Wu, J-Lo, Cardi B, and Betty from Riverdale.

HOWEVER, with the exception of "Juice" (which is an instant, all-time classic), I haven't heard any songs from her that are particularly catchy, as great as she is at belting them out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

DC Murderverse posted:

this is easily the most Taylor Swift-y song she's shown us from this album so far. i'm not 100% sure i like it more than The Archer but i'm pretty sure that a year from now when i'm extracting the good stuff to add to my Taylor Swift's Good Stuff playlist, this will be there.

edit: this song is gonna be played at so many weddings over the next couple of years.

this will be the first dance for every normie who thinks they aren't a normie until the world is underwater

which is fitting cause like every first dance when you're a guest at a wedding it masquerades as being romantic while actually being boring as poo poo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pitchfork reviewed all of Taylor Swift's albums (except Reputation, which they did when it came out) and the reviews are more of an overview of her career with some very broad criticism, and also they got her best album wrong (I understand the desire to say Red, but Speak Now is definitely her best).

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Maggie Rogers and CRJ DJ’d together in LA. Content made for this thread:
https://twitter.com/arthurhmangum/status/1162051726691713024?s=21

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

:wow:

I just saw Maggie Rogers for the first time at Newport Folk last month and immediately bought her album afterward. I remember hearing Alaska back when she broke out a year or two ago and didn't think much of it at the time, but that huge breakout song is only like, the 9th or 10th best track on the whole record imho.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Old Town Road's reign of terror is over, thanks to none other than Billie Eilish

https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1163547042376900610

https://twitter.com/billyraycyrus/status/1163555701022703616

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Only took yet another brand new video, thousands of dedicated kids listening on repeat and summer vacation ending.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

By brand new do you mean the vertical video?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Taylor this week and then

https://mobile.twitter.com/julesandrueslut/status/1161462092064546816

Melanie is releasing a film in theaters she directed and wrote that is also her new album.

It comes out September 5th at 8pm

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 20, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://people.com/music/taylor-swift-plans-re-record-old-music-scooter-braun-big-machine-deal/

So this is a pretty big deal

quote:

Taylor Swift is doubling down on her assertion she found out about Scooter Braun’s purchase of her former label along with the rest of the world — and revealing her plans for the future.

In a new interview with CBS Sunday Morning, the Grammy winner, 29, says she “absolutely” will re-record her first six albums, which fell into the hands of Braun following his $300 million deal with Big Machine.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i'm actually really excited for this, you don't get artists going back and doing this thorough a retrospective (for obvious reasons), and the idea of Taylor Swift going back and recording songs that she wrote when she was a fresh-faced teenager as she reaches the point where half her life has been spent in the business is fascinating.

Like, what's Fifteen gonna sound like at 30?

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Taylor is going full Prince huh. What's her symbol going to be?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Im gonna miss Old Town Road

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Molestationary Store posted:

Taylor is going full Prince huh. What's her symbol going to be?

a cat

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/smashmouth/status/1164602996677738496

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tired Moritz posted:

Im gonna miss Old Town Road

I feel unironically the same. Nas just remixing it over and over so blatantly was hilarious, and the original owns.
The Cupcakke cover is art.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

the further we get away from Reputation's release the funnier it is that the opening single for that album was basically a Super-Villain song out of a comic book musical. is there anything more emo than being one of the most famous people in the world and releasing an entire album about how nobody likes you, and including a literal super villain origin story on it? (honestly multiple, because I Did Something Bad also fits that category, and This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things then slots in as "the big long speech/presentation the villain gives to the hero while they're tied up with a laser pointing at their forehead", except instead of James Bond it's all of her "haters")

edit:

Lover video sure is a Taylor Swift music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BjZmE2gtdo

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 22, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it taylor time

you can definitely hear the St Vincent in Cruel Summer

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

18 songs :rolleyes:

I'll listen to it later

Escobarbarian posted:

you can definitely hear the St Vincent in Cruel Summer
This excites me after hearing the St. Vincent in the new Sleater-Kinney because I've been listening to that album every day for the last week.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah I might not finish it in one go

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i had to basically sit and do nothing for two hours tonight so i took that opportunity to listen to Lover, it's a very big album. I actually liked Me and You Need to Calm Down more in context (although i got excited when i saw that "HEY KIDS, SPELLING IS FUN" was taken out and disappointed when it popped up anyways), and there are some songs I liked a lot on first listen and some I didn't like so much. I still think her singing about her reputation/people who don't like her is cringe as hell, but the love songs are fun (aside from London Boy, but that song gets a pass because it's just goofy instead), but I think my early pick for best song is Soon You'll Get Better. She's got the Dixie Chicks backing her up but a song about her mother's illness is a glimpse into a new side of Taylor, and it's another one of those great songs she makes that are relatable to everyone who's ever had a relative who got a cancer diagnosis, but still filled with the little specificities of her life that bring it all together.

Other potential highlights:
Death by A Thousand Cuts
It's Nice to Have a Friend
I Think He Knows
Paper Rings
The Man
Lover
The Archer
False God
Cruel Summer

I think going to 18 songs was a mistake, there are probably a few I would have taken off, but i also imagine that the spread is wide enough that everyone would have a different 3-5 songs they'd take off.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As a Brit the attempt at English idioms in London Boy are so hilariously cringe. I still like the song though.

Ended up listening to the whole album while I was cleaning up and the batting average is definitely pretty high, but it’s definitely too long and starts to taper off towards the end. You’re definitely right that people will have different ideas about which tracks don’t work, DC - False God was the first one where I thought “this definitely didn’t need to be here” yet you’re the second person I’ve seen call it one of their favourites. And yes, Soon You’ll Get Better is excellent.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i would like to point out that if you need to cleanse your palate between Swift listens, Missy Elliot dropped a short EP which will provide a nice counterpoint.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

i had to basically sit and do nothing for two hours tonight so i took that opportunity to listen to Lover, it's a very big album. I actually liked Me and You Need to Calm Down more in context (although i got excited when i saw that "HEY KIDS, SPELLING IS FUN" was taken out and disappointed when it popped up anyways), and there are some songs I liked a lot on first listen and some I didn't like so much. I still think her singing about her reputation/people who don't like her is cringe as hell, but the love songs are fun (aside from London Boy, but that song gets a pass because it's just goofy instead), but I think my early pick for best song is Soon You'll Get Better. She's got the Dixie Chicks backing her up but a song about her mother's illness is a glimpse into a new side of Taylor, and it's another one of those great songs she makes that are relatable to everyone who's ever had a relative who got a cancer diagnosis, but still filled with the little specificities of her life that bring it all together.

Other potential highlights:
Death by A Thousand Cuts
It's Nice to Have a Friend
I Think He Knows
Paper Rings
The Man
Lover
The Archer
False God
Cruel Summer

I think going to 18 songs was a mistake, there are probably a few I would have taken off, but i also imagine that the spread is wide enough that everyone would have a different 3-5 songs they'd take off.

Cruel Summer is a loving smash

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Best bops:

• Cruel Summer
  • Cornelia Street
  • I Think He Knows
  • London Boy
  • Daylight

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
The latest song by Charli XCX is really good.

I haven't listened to Taylor's latest album, but I bought it and liked the singles released so far.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Every time I go through Lover I feel like I pick up another couple of songs that hadn't stood out to me before. My "don't like" list is basically just ME! and You Need To Calm Down now. Even without those it would still feel a little large but I have no idea what I'd actually cut.

It really feels like she's taken her lessons on style and production from 1989 and Reputation and married them with themes from Red and Speak Now, which is basically exactly what I wanted all along. There's still a little bit of me hoping for another album with country pretences but this is really good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

hot take: The Man is a better version of If I Were A Boy.

for whatever reason "If i was a man, then I'd be The Man" is a really funny lyric to me, in a good way.

edit: but definitely not as good as Tacocat's Rose-Colored Sky, which is the premiere song about contemplating white male privilege and how easy it must be

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 24, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Working my way through the new Taylor and Cruel Summer is definitely a bop

e: Wow, so is Miss Americana, drat

e2: False God too :swoon:

e3: You Need To Calm Down really works a lot better in the context of the album

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 24, 2019

Sora8185
Feb 21, 2019

How often do you drink milk?
Listening to Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising, this is definitely the best indie/baroque pop album of the year.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The whole Lover album is great aside from Me!, but Miss Americana and Cruel Summer are probably my top two.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Sora8185 posted:

Listening to Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising, this is definitely the best indie/baroque pop album of the year.

Andromeda is crazy relaxing to listen to.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is amazing

https://mobile.twitter.com/MTV/status/1166156708248543232

Also this

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1166169490507190272

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

That is Jade Jolie's whole brand so job well done.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Cvrches incoming

https://mobile.twitter.com/VG247/status/1166098332407611395

New Tove Lo

https://youtu.be/liY-mw9l5qg

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 28, 2019

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If Khalid makes a track without referring to the phone I'll be shocked.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

New Lana sure is new Lana, and i love it. music for being strung out to with your loved one (who you secretly hate)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so this is the first Lana album I’ve actually listened to more than a handful of tracks from, and is every one of her albums just the same song repeated 10-15 times? I mean, I like the song, but drat if this isn’t one of the most samey albums I’ve heard in some time.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Escobarbarian posted:

so this is the first Lana album I’ve actually listened to more than a handful of tracks from, and is every one of her albums just the same song repeated 10-15 times? I mean, I like the song, but drat if this isn’t one of the most samey albums I’ve heard in some time.

Yes.

People love her but I find her extremely overrated. Her monotone sultry voice is pretty for a couple tracks but it got old SUPER quick for me. She sounds so......bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
All of LDR's albums are a bit too long, and this one's no exception. She could really use an editor.