Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

canon is only what i accept.

Realtalk this is the correct way to handle canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Realtalk this is the correct way to handle canon

Star Trek fans off to the side, quietly loling that it took y'all this long to figure it out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

canon is only what i accept.

david did not create the alien. the spacey jockey is not a pale bald bodybuilder.

David created the Alien and also Prometheus and Covenant are amazing and everyone else is wrong.

That’s my canon.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

CelticPredator posted:

David created the Alien and also Prometheus and Covenant are amazing and everyone else is wrong.

That’s my canon.

There's simply no denying it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

There's simply no denying it.

I won’t lie to you about your chances... but you have my sympathies.

:smug:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CelticPredator posted:

That’s my canon.

Part of this sentence is correct

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CelticPredator posted:

That’s my canon.

I'm sorry.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CelticPredator posted:

That’s my canon.

This opinion is an alien extending its dripping inner jaw at me as I cower in fear and disgust in the shower.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think Aliens is worse for the Alien canon than Prometheus and Covenant honestly. big space bugs? snoooooozers

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Prometheus and Covenant are the only canon Alien movies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

i think Aliens is worse for the Alien canon than Prometheus and Covenant honestly. big space bugs? snoooooozers

This argument comes up a lot but I don't really agree.

People take what the Marines say ("just another bug hunt" "they're animals") as truth when the entire film actually says the opposite: They're intelligent thinking creatures who are underestimated at every single moment. The entire point of Aliens is that they are *not* big space bugs no matter what Hudson says and you'd think people would get that Hudson was wrong because he's loving Hudson. Like one thing people forget is that Aliens explicilty shows that the Aliens are intelligent not merely in an animal way.

Aliens says absolutely nothing about where the Aliens came from or really anything but "the eggs are laid by a really big alien" which is entirely reasonable. The 'big space bugs' thing only comes from dumbass marines who get their asses kicked because they don't actually understand what they're up against because they are expecting giant space bugs.

I feel like when people say this they mix up the EU (which goes further and further into THEY JUST BUGS) and forget that the actual movie doesn't really go in that direction.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 15, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This argument comes up a lot but I don't really agree.

People take what the Marines say ("just another bug hunt" "they're animals") as truth when the entire film actually says the opposite: They're intelligent thinking creatures who are underestimated at every single moment. The entire point of Aliens is that they are *not* big space bugs no matter what Hudson says and you'd think people would get that Hudson was wrong because he's loving Hudson. Like one thing people forget is that Aliens explicilty shows that the Aliens are intelligent not merely in an animal way.

Aliens says absolutely nothing about where the Aliens came from or really anything but "the eggs are laid by a really big alien" which is entirely reasonable. The 'big space bugs' thing only comes from dumbass marines who get their asses kicked because they don't actually understand what they're up against because they are expecting giant space bugs.

I feel like when people say this they mix up the EU (which goes further and further into THEY JUST BUGS) and forget that the actual movie doesn't really go in that direction.

i think the Queen is really what tips the scales towards the bug theory being accurate. i know its not really in the first film, but the idea of people turning into eggs for facehuggers is way way creepier - and to me more "perfect" of a lifecycle - than the queen existing and churning out a conveyor belt of eggs

but hey variety is the spice of life - what i actually love is how all these different movies and takes means the actual alien canon is nearly impossible to pin down. even David's tinkering isn't him inventing the alien, so much as messing about with goo.

the ambiguity and conflicting canons is way more exciting and interesting to me. otherwise i'd just watch the MCU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

In these days when everything is trying to be a Cinematic Universe so you have to see every tangentally related film due to FOMO; its nice to remind yourself that every movie just tells its own story and doesn't have to be part of some deep Similarion rear end lore.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fight me

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CelticPredator posted:

THE alien

It is canon therefore fact!! canon does not lie! Canon is love. Canon is life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agw27HhB4H4

(I love that clip too much)

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Owlbear Camus posted:

That has inspired a scenario idea when I get my Alien tabletop RPG: A derilect in space with a sargasso style amalgamated hulk of 5-6 different commercial/military/rescue ships docked together each diverted because they "happened to encounter a signal," to the point where it's almost comical when the PC's arrive.
You must inform us if your party immediately does an Event Horizon.

Ferrinus posted:

If you ignore Prometheus and Covenant then they're basically big wasps.
sending in God's Perfect Idiots was never going to work - to deal with big smart bugs, what we actually need are big smart space skunks.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I think the xenos are the Mad Max of space, they're campfire stories for interstellar colonists to tell in the dark.

That's how Pitch Black and Riddick follow on in the far future.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

I won’t lie to you about your chances... but you have my sympathies.

:smug:

This makes no sense.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well Manicured Man posted:

Prometheus and Covenant are the only canon Alien movies.
"Prometheus and Covenant" is a pretty esoteric way of spelling 'Outland'.

Owlbear Camus posted:

In these days when everything is trying to be a Cinematic Universe so you have to see every tangentally related film due to FOMO; its nice to remind yourself that every movie just tells its own story and doesn't have to be part of some deep Similarion rear end lore.
There are a handful of "universes" where I really appreciate the exhaustive breadth and depth of the interwoven "lore" (mainly Lord of the Rings and Warhammer40k), and ultimately the Alien/Predator/AvP series isn't one of them. Like, I mean, seeing low-impact winks and nods to other stories puts a smile on my face as much as the next fanboy, but I see it more as a fist-bump to other authors and artists contributing to the franchise over the years rather than tightly-woven "continuity".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it sucks so much that the aliens are space wasps. NOT.

quote:

I own that I cannot see as plainly as others do, and as I should wish to do, evidence of design and beneficence on all sides of us. There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it sucks so much that the aliens are space wasps. NOT.

Hey you cut out the cat part. Jonesy erasing motherfucker

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I finished reading the comic adaptation of William Gibson's 'Alien3' script draft and... it sure was a comic book, I guess.

Maybe reading the script and listening to the audio drama will salvage it, but I didn't think the comic was that hot. Ripley (and to a lesser degree, Newt) gets written out of the plot in the laziest way possible, Hicks (and to a lesser degree, Bishop) is a non-character who is given nothing to do and feels flat and lifeless, poo poo just kind of.... happens, it's all very inferior to the Alien3 we got.

There was some stuff that just didn't make sense.

On a visual level, giving the UPP soldiers a USCM dropship was lazy and didn't make a whole lot of sense. They're an independent and potentially hostile military, what are they doing with USCM tech? Like I could come up with explanations, but that doesn't make it less stupid.
It took me a good while to figure out of the weapons division people were from the military or from W-Y and I'm not quite sure why.
Speaking of, the corporate woman mutating out of nowhere caught me totally off-guard, I had to flip back and make sure I hadn't skipped a page somewhere. Like, she gets sucker-punched and the very next panel is her mutating like something out of 'The Thing'.
The Sulaco gets intentionally diverted through UPP space to get to Anchorpoint because it's the shortest route.... but the Sulaco had apparently been out in space for four years since 'Aliens'? Wait, what? Like, the four year gap not only doesn't make sense, it's totally inconsequential to the story so why include it?

I mean, I'm glad this exists - it's kind of an oddity and seeing a rejected script get visually adapted is a novel idea. I'd like it if they took a crack at adapting other script drafts like the Ward or Twohy scripts.
But yeah this story was not good, or at least it wasn't executed well. I'll see if the actual script or the audio drama change my mind.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The scientists were infected during a beaker break or something, the flow of the comic was pretty awful.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

The scientists were infected during a beaker break or something, the flow of the comic was pretty awful.

I understood when the infection happened, it was just her Thing-out was super abrupt and depicted across, like, two panels; it was super jarring.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenomrph posted:

I finished reading the comic adaptation of William Gibson's 'Alien3' script draft and... it sure was a comic book, I guess.

Maybe reading the script and listening to the audio drama will salvage it, but I didn't think the comic was that hot. Ripley (and to a lesser degree, Newt) gets written out of the plot in the laziest way possible, Hicks (and to a lesser degree, Bishop) is a non-character who is given nothing to do and feels flat and lifeless, poo poo just kind of.... happens, it's all very inferior to the Alien3 we got.

There was some stuff that just didn't make sense.

On a visual level, giving the UPP soldiers a USCM dropship was lazy and didn't make a whole lot of sense. They're an independent and potentially hostile military, what are they doing with USCM tech? Like I could come up with explanations, but that doesn't make it less stupid.
It took me a good while to figure out of the weapons division people were from the military or from W-Y and I'm not quite sure why.
Speaking of, the corporate woman mutating out of nowhere caught me totally off-guard, I had to flip back and make sure I hadn't skipped a page somewhere. Like, she gets sucker-punched and the very next panel is her mutating like something out of 'The Thing'.
The Sulaco gets intentionally diverted through UPP space to get to Anchorpoint because it's the shortest route.... but the Sulaco had apparently been out in space for four years since 'Aliens'? Wait, what? Like, the four year gap not only doesn't make sense, it's totally inconsequential to the story so why include it?

I mean, I'm glad this exists - it's kind of an oddity and seeing a rejected script get visually adapted is a novel idea. I'd like it if they took a crack at adapting other script drafts like the Ward or Twohy scripts.
But yeah this story was not good, or at least it wasn't executed well. I'll see if the actual script or the audio drama change my mind.

Gibson's script was one of the worst alien things I've ever read, and I've read many of the alien comics recommended in this thread so my bar is quite low. I imagine a bad comic adaptation remains bad, or even worse than the script.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Gibson's script was one of the worst alien things I've ever read, and I've read many of the alien comics recommended in this thread so my bar is quite low. I imagine a bad comic adaptation remains bad, or even worse than the script.
I enjoyed it as an audio-drama. But despite there being some neat ideas it was clearly half-baked.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ersatz posted:

I enjoyed it as an audio-drama. But despite there being some neat ideas it was clearly half-baked.

The way Gibson explains it in the comic introduction, it basically was half-baked. He wrote one draft, sent it to Fox, wrote another draft, and then Fox said “thank you for your services, we’ll contact you if we need anything else” and that was the end of his involvement with Alien3.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I really liked the audio drama version. It's worth listening to at least once just to hear Bishop and Hicks do their thing one more time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This dropped today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLcUiIy_ghw

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what was the point of this, to advertise the Alien Anthology? I really liked the shots of the interior of the egg, I could watch more visuals like that for days on end. Ultimately it's just another remake scene from Alien.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It keeps Covenant in the public image, and keeps pissing off people who don’t like it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sigher posted:

So what was the point of this, to advertise the Alien Anthology? I really liked the shots of the interior of the egg, I could watch more visuals like that for days on end. Ultimately it's just another remake scene from Alien.

Its canon.

So is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5IngAP_yk

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

And this:

https://youtu.be/ljEC7HKbP0g

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y40NxWUlP-g

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

:siren: my girlfriend :siren: got me this rad tshirt for our one year dating anniversary

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrqSCn0sBPw

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

There's a not nearly as good Bugles commercial from the early 00s that like, I mean it's not an Alien ad but there's no way in hell this didn't begin life as some kind of failed Alien Resurrection tie-in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WSk4ZlkrZI

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Timby posted:

This dropped today:

And there it is on the screen, "Highly Aggressive, Capable of Complex Thought" over what looks like a dissected xenomorph skull. Note to self: when exploring the laboratory of a mad genius, carry a loving stick to loving poke things with for gently caress's sake.

That's a good video, a must-watch if you're a fan.

Also dropping today is Chapter 7 of the Aliens RPG. This is the setting chapter. Everyone who pre-ordered got this. First impressions:

They seem to be setting up as a space truckers game, with xenomorphs optional. We get about a page worth of jobs, salary, and cost of living.

The wooden monastic space station is IN.

So are prison colonies.

You hypersleep because prolonged FTL travel makes people delusional, paranoid, and violently psychotic.

There's a whole page on religion. Including the Church of Immaculate Incubation.

A good chunk of the chapter is on spacecraft and the modules you can fit on them.

We have a full 13 pages worth of space combat rules, discounting the map and the two-page spread for the Conestoga-class frigate (the Sulacco).

Comments:

This should be two chapters. Life in Space and Spaceships and Combat. They are definitely setting up to support a long-term campaign where you play a ship's crew out on the frontier doing whatever you have to to keep your independence. Shades of Traveller and Firefly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

mllaneza posted:

You hypersleep because prolonged FTL travel makes people delusional, paranoid, and violently psychotic.

There's a whole page on religion. Including the Church of Immaculate Incubation.

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Church of Immaculate Incubation is a reference to the old comics, if I remember right.