Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I use Paprika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Human Tornada posted:

Hating on canned/frozen products as a general rule is one of those things that people think makes them sound like an expert but really just exposes them as posturing novices. Some other examples include claiming that good restaurants never have microwaves in the kitchen, screw cap wine is always bad, and using anything but fresh-cut fries is cheating. It's all raw materials and tools, you pick the right tool for the job.

Not hating on you Bluedeanie, just venting about people I know IRL.

Yeah I dont hate on canned food at all, I was just curious because even snobs go in on canned tomatoes.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah just take it back asap, you could freeze it if you wont be going back for a few days

Ugh i had already tossed it in the pot before I posted so I guess we'll just toss it. Shame to waste it all. I have our receipt so I'll just take it in when I'm there in a few days and see what we can do. We're regulars so they know, don't think they'll think we're trying to pull a fast one on 'em. Thanks

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Weltlich posted:

Rouladen is literally one of my favorites.

Danke. I've been in the kitchen and helped on a few different dinners at this point, and generally know how to make various things, but have decided that I need to learn to do things well rather than just be a capable set of hands. This was largely due to a big family "potluck" on this vacation where half the food came out way underseasoned or tough or otherwise just in that "not bad, but not very good either" zone while the chefs kept to their zones in an effort not to take everything over.

Schnitzel is super easy. Spaetzel I am going to work on - I know the technique and the dough ratios, but want to just play with seasoning and be able to do it well. My FIL has a great blaurkrat that I can just pull from directly. Rouladen is the one that I've been on the assembly line for, but my FIL is tight lipped about the exact recipe and my wife's grandparents are dead/senile. Aside from those four, any good uber German dishes I should learn to better service future family reunions?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bluedeanie posted:

Yeah I dont hate on canned food at all, I was just curious because even snobs go in on canned tomatoes.

Most supermarket tomatoes are picked green, shipped, and sprayed with ethylene gas to ripen off the vine. They’re grown for transport, not taste. The tinned doesn’t need that issue, as it’s processed where it’s grown and picked at peak freshness. It’s why if I’m just making a smoothie, I’ll prefer frozen fruit to the fresh I can get at the store.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

dino. posted:

Most supermarket tomatoes are picked green, shipped, and sprayed with ethylene gas to ripen off the vine. They’re grown for transport, not taste. The tinned doesn’t need that issue, as it’s processed where it’s grown and picked at peak freshness. It’s why if I’m just making a smoothie, I’ll prefer frozen fruit to the fresh I can get at the store.

Some of that "fresh" fruit is treated with an ethylene receptor antagonist (the one that comes to mind is silver thiosulfate, but I'm not sure how much of that is floral vs food) so it can be kept in cold storage for ages.
Apples have a distinct season but they're available all year because some of them are around a year old.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I heard of year old zombie orange juice but year old apples is pretty surprising

I can attest that frozen strawberries are way better in blending than out of season fresh strawberries

Supermarket tomatoes are an abomination, it's the absolute worst thing you can get at a grocery compared to what its potential is. Even heirloom tomatoes at the grocery are usually full of that white stemmy garbage in the core

edit: VVV agree

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 22, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'll buy cherry tomatoes at the store if I need fresh ones for something. They work out OK out of season if I just really want one but yeah anything beyond that is pretty meh.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
apples are known for their ability to keep. Hundreds of years ago, people were eating year-old apples up until the next harvest. That was apples' whole thing

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I mean, hundreds of years ago the majority of apples were for cider.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone familiar with miso pickling? I've read about it and thought I would give it a try but when doing some googling I found one source that said you need live miso (with active koji still in it). If I have some miso that has lived in my fridge for a few months without going funny, does that mean I have pasteurized miso?

Is live miso really needed for the pickling?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Wedge Regret

Casu Marzu posted:

I mean, hundreds of years ago the majority of apples were for cider.

Apple Jack was more popular than cider

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

captkirk posted:

Anyone familiar with miso pickling? I've read about it and thought I would give it a try but when doing some googling I found one source that said you need live miso (with active koji still in it). If I have some miso that has lived in my fridge for a few months without going funny, does that mean I have pasteurized miso?

Most miso is pasteurized, including refrigerator miso. It will never go bad because it has so much salt that all harmful bacteria can't grow there. You can ask at a japanese market if they have unpasteurized, it should say "Nama miso"

You can buy koji from amazon, it's not too expensive

https://www.amazon.com/MIYAKO-Malted-making-Sweet-Pickles/dp/B00MHLGJ2I/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=koji&qid=1566439988&s=gateway&sr=8-4

And you can use koji for a few other things like fake dry aging your meats

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Danke. I've been in the kitchen and helped on a few different dinners at this point, and generally know how to make various things, but have decided that I need to learn to do things well rather than just be a capable set of hands. This was largely due to a big family "potluck" on this vacation where half the food came out way underseasoned or tough or otherwise just in that "not bad, but not very good either" zone while the chefs kept to their zones in an effort not to take everything over.

Schnitzel is super easy. Spaetzel I am going to work on - I know the technique and the dough ratios, but want to just play with seasoning and be able to do it well. My FIL has a great blaurkrat that I can just pull from directly. Rouladen is the one that I've been on the assembly line for, but my FIL is tight lipped about the exact recipe and my wife's grandparents are dead/senile. Aside from those four, any good uber German dishes I should learn to better service future family reunions?

If you're trying to impress the inlaws, I'd work on your Kartoffelklöße skills. They're one of those "easy to learn, lifetime to master" sort of things, but they are an essential German side. If you can make them well, then you'll get compliments.

A big thing to note with these is that it is critical that you use the right sort of potato. Red potatoes, and gold potatoes just won't work. You need what is known as a "floury" potato, which is actually pretty tough to find in the US. Floury potatoes are dry, high starch spuds. "Russets" can be used in a pinch, but really you need to hit up a farmer's market and ask around. This is a good time of year to start finding them, now through the end of October. But if all else fails, go with Russets

Here's the recipe that my family uses:

2lbs potatoes
1/2 lb potato flour (you can use wheat flour in a pinch, but use bread flour, not all purpose)
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg (always use fresh grated with this)
1/2 tsp dried crushed parsley
2 tsp salt (I take it down to 1 tsp)
1 egg lightly beaten
1 cup water (You will not use it all)

1) The day before you want to serve, peel and boil your potatoes. If they're less than 3" across, don't even chop them up, just peel and boil. If they're big-assed russets, cut them so they're no larger than 3" on a side.
2) Boil them until they get nice and soft enough to mash through a potato ricer easily. But ricers are awful, we're not going to use one of those.
3) Once they're soft, dump them to a colander and drain them, really, really well. Water is the enemy now. Let them sit for a good 5 minutes, and if they're still wet, leave them longer.
4) You want to basically make "mashed potatoes" the consistency of cornmeal.
5) Cover the bowl and put them in the fridge.
6) The next day, fold in the potato flour, spices, and salt.
7) Fold in the egg, but don't work it too hard
8) Starting with 1/2 cup water, knead the dough, adding 1 Tbs of water at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. You should be able to form dumplings that are the size of a large egg, and they should be sticky, but not gooey. If they're too dry and don't hold together well, add a little more water. If they get too gooey, add a Tbs of potato flour at a time until it's back.
9) Form the dumplings by hand
10) In a large pot or dutch oven, bring a gallon of water almost to boiling. 200f or 94c. (I use one of those IR thermometers. My great aunts used to just eyeball it.)
11) Carefully drop the dumplings into the water. Use a spoon if it's too splashy.
12) DO NOT BOIL. (This will cause the dumplings to turn into little balls of mush) Keep the water just on the verge of simmering for about 20 to 25 minutes.
13) As the dumplings start to float, they're done. Skim them out with a slotted spoon, and they're ready to serve up with whatever main dish you're serving.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Dropping some boiled eggs into the leftover kimchi juice in the jar Y/N?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Y Y Y Y Y

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Klaus Kinski posted:

Dropping some food into the leftover kimchi juice in the jar Y/N?

always

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Human Tornada posted:

screw cap wine is always bad

tbh I wish wine was exclusively screw cap. Corks are an anachronistic pain in the rear end.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Grand Fromage posted:

tbh I wish wine was exclusively screw cap. Corks are an anachronistic pain in the rear end.

These are true words.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Grand Fromage posted:

Australian wine is 99% screwcap now, even the expensive top end bottles. A very few vineyards use cork as part of their traditional ethos such as Rockford in the Barossa Valley who still use wooden vats and older equipment for example.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Weltlich posted:

If you're trying to impress the inlaws, I'd work on your Kartoffelklöße skills. They're one of those "easy to learn, lifetime to master" sort of things, but they are an essential German side. If you can make them well, then you'll get compliments.
If you fill each Kloß with three or four fresh croutons, roasted in butter, that'll be the cherry on top.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

also what's everyone's go-to ios app for recipe organization? paprika? i have a shitload of recipes bookmarked but only been able to import some into evernote (which isnt great these days)

I'm a long time user of Evernote, what recent changes do you not like?

Human Tornada posted:

Hating on canned/frozen products as a general rule is one of those things that people think makes them sound like an expert but really just exposes them as posturing novices. Some other examples include claiming that good restaurants never have microwaves in the kitchen, screw cap wine is always bad, and using anything but fresh-cut fries is cheating. It's all raw materials and tools, you pick the right tool for the job.

Not hating on you Bluedeanie, just venting about people I know IRL.

Preach it. I've always felt the snobbery around microwaves was particularly unfounded, there are a few cooking things that they do great! Including reheating certain leftovers, which I certainly do.

Steve Yun posted:

I heard of year old zombie orange juice but year old apples is pretty surprising

As long as the tank is nice and cold and well-aerated, lobster can survive without eating for up to 16 months. Your supermarket lobster is OLD, specially once you get farther from New England.

That said, it doesn't effect the taste much; the fresh ones I catch myself and eat that day are only a little bit better then ones from the supermarket.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

captkirk posted:

Do you mean pickling in miso, or using rice bran as a pickling medium?

Even if your miso is live, it's not the fermenting agent, that's either koji and/or the natural molds on the veggies.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
I need recipe ideas for a toddler. He’s not at all picky, except with meat- he’ll only eat meats that I can best describe as “soft and wet “, like meatballs, pulled pork, lox, baked fish, the insides of gyoza, and gyro slathered in tzatziki. Nothing grilled or even, like, significantly browned- he seems to object to the texture?

He eats any and all vegetables and fruits with a distinct preference for mango, olive, carrot, mushrooms, and banana. There are no food allergies or sensitivities and he has plenty of teeth, so the world is his oyster.

What can I make to freshen up his rotation? I’m totally fine making him a separate meal as he eats much earlier than we do. I’d really like things I can make in a big batch and freeze, too.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Get that child a well-lubed hot dog

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Get that child a well-lubed hot dog

I did actually try this! According to the pediatrician you have to cut it into essentially noodles, though- long finger-width strips (hot dogs are apparently one of the biggest choking hazards for toddlers, along with grapes?) and the Bebe in question was appropriately horrified by hot dog strands. Wouldn’t touch them. Did steal and consume a great deal of his grandpa’s spicy Chinese sausage, though.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Would he do coins? Making spaghettidogs does indeed sound hosed up and I would fire a pediatrician who entertained the concept, tbh. I've seen them sliced in lil coins though for kids.

I also don't see a huge problem with a toddler enjoying a diet light/selective in meat and heavy in fruits and veggies. It is a good "problem" to have, I feel many parents face the opposite issue. If you're wanting to mix it up it sounds like they might like brisket or sliced turkey with some bbq.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The problem with coins is that apparently they're great cross-sections of kids' windpipes, so they get stuck real good. You could probably halve lengthwise instead of quarter lengthwise, though.

If you want to get into sous vide, everything it produces is soft and wet

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I see. I don't have kids so that has been very informative and also eye opening to all the times my mom tried to kill my chunky lil rear end, thank you for correcting me!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sweet Custom Van posted:

along with grapes

Grapes are really smooth and round which means that they're slippery when in the mouth and coated in saliva but easy to get stuck and difficult to dislodge. Even cutting them into halves isn't great (esp. when cut uhh... like a hamburger?) They should really be quartered lengthwise.

Kids are basically little suicide machines.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm a long time user of Evernote, what recent changes do you not like?

Limiting device log ins was the big recent-ish change that rankled with many people. I have a poo poo ton of devices and it is a pain in the rear end to be limited to the app on my phone and my main PC only. I used to have it on my ipad/laptop to have in the kitchen.

Granted, I still am a heavy Evernote user between my scratchpad, my various DND campaign notebooks, and my cookbook. Just a shame that Premium features seem to be business/team oriented and the only feature for someone like me is the multiple device access. I'd probably pay for Premium if there was anything else to it for me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grapes aren’t actually that dangerous, the panic around feeding children whole grapes is mostly just parental one-upmanship.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Sweet Custom Van posted:

I need recipe ideas for a toddler. He’s not at all picky, except with meat- he’ll only eat meats that I can best describe as “soft and wet “, like meatballs, pulled pork, lox, baked fish, the insides of gyoza, and gyro slathered in tzatziki. Nothing grilled or even, like, significantly browned- he seems to object to the texture?

He eats any and all vegetables and fruits with a distinct preference for mango, olive, carrot, mushrooms, and banana. There are no food allergies or sensitivities and he has plenty of teeth, so the world is his oyster.

What can I make to freshen up his rotation? I’m totally fine making him a separate meal as he eats much earlier than we do. I’d really like things I can make in a big batch and freeze, too.

Could you just sous vide things for longer than an adult would normally find pleasant?
You could do the same meats for everyone but just label one serving as the early one and start it significantly earlier.
That'd offer some granularity on dialing it back over time as an acclimation process to more toothy textures.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Does anyone here sprout their nuts before making nut butter? I usually soak them, but I decided to try sprouting out of curiosity. Most how-tos I read make it sound as easy as soaking, draining, then letting them sit in the dark and rinsing every few hours. This was a great way to get three pounds of rotting peanuts and a bunch of gnats after less than two days. The smell was absolutely nauseous. What did I do wrong?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
This is a dumbfuck question, but did you start with truly raw peanuts meant for sprouting? What we think of as regular peanuts aren't raw.

Scientastic posted:

Grapes aren’t actually that dangerous, the panic around feeding children whole grapes is mostly just parental one-upmanship.
grapes are the #3 food for kids to choke to death on. (#1 is hot dogs and #2 is candy.) On an individual level it's not very likely, but on a population level it's a thing

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Anne Whateley posted:

grapes are the #3 food for kids to choke to death on. (#1 is hot dogs and #2 is candy.) On an individual level it's not very likely, but on a population level it's a thing

I've never been in a car accident so seat belts are stupid.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you fill each Kloß with three or four fresh croutons, roasted in butter, that'll be the cherry on top.

Of for sure. That's the "next level" aspect of potato dumplings. Once you can make them without having them turn into gelatinous blobs, then you get to stuff fun things inside. I've done them with a piece of thin shaved Speck as a core and that is delicious as well.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Anne Whateley posted:

This is a dumbfuck question, but did you start with truly raw peanuts meant for sprouting? What we think of as regular peanuts aren't raw.

I don't know how honest the packaging is, but it says "Raw Spanish Peanuts" on it.

They did actually start to sprout, but at the same time they turned yellow and began to smell like anus, and the skins got gooey.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

I see. I don't have kids so that has been very informative and also eye opening to all the times my mom tried to kill my chunky lil rear end, thank you for correcting me!

Honestly this is where we are now: we’re first time (and deffffff only time) parents who were both raised by families who took “eh, they’re kids, they’ll bounce back” to borderline criminal neglect levels, so I keep thinking “oh, I ate/did/ went there when I was his age!” Apparently, everything my parents did was Very Bad And Wrong and I’ve spent the last 18 months wondering how I survived and whether I’m gonna accidentally murder my kid.

Sous vide is a great idea, especially the part where I can slowly acclimate him to more normal textures and season everything more or less the same. He is currently in love with Valentina hot sauce on everything (eggs, banana slices, salads, and most notably blueberry coffee cake) so I can usually get him to eat something he’s previously rejected by giving it a dab of vinegary burn.

I feel like I’ve seen you lot talk about game meats before. We have a friend who is trying to offload a bunch of last year’s frozen venison and moose so he has room for this year’s hunt. I feel vaguely uncomfortable feeding wild meat to a baby- there’s a niggling worry about parasites that I can’t shake. I wouldn’t give him any organ meat, but is there any reason to keep him away from venison meatballs or moose jerky?

I promise to stop asking kid questions now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Is this because most kids int he US eat candy, hotdogs and grapes?
Like does this data translate to - Dates in the middle east or surstromming for the weird as gently caress ice people?