Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

mcbexx posted:

Huge fps improvement in Apex on my 2070S/3900x at 3440x1440. What wizardry is this new driver?

Had some settings cranked down or even set to off to get close to 100 fps (70 when jumping off the dropship), now with almost everything maxed I get 100 when dropping and 120+ on the ground.

Is...this what fine wine tastes like?

I had similar wizardry on my 3900X/2080 Ti at 3440x1440 in Forza Horizon 4. I went from 95 FPS in the benchmark to 126 FPS with all settings at max except MSAA which was at 2x, so about a 25% gain. The gain was higher than expected based on NV's test setup.

I guess someone at Nvidia decided to become a vintner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

mcbexx posted:

Huge fps improvement in Apex on my 2070S/3900x at 3440x1440. What wizardry is this new driver?

Had some settings cranked down or even set to off to get close to 100 fps (70 when jumping off the dropship), now with almost everything maxed I get 100 when dropping and 120+ on the ground.

Is...this what fine wine tastes like?

Huge improvement as well on my 1080Ti/9700K @ 3440x1440. Battlefield V actually plays smoothly now and Apex rarely falls below my FPS cap of 117.

Also the Sharpening filter works pretty drat good except I was noticing some weird artifacts on particle effects in BFV though that's probably just :dice:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So the performance boost for those few games comes down to the Pascal line, but some of the other enhancements don't right? The GPU Integer Scaling is only on the Turing stuff?

My laptop has a 4K screen being pushed by a 1070 and while most games can do it just fine, I would like to try it at 1080P or 1440P an then Scale it up and see how a few games run.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

EdEddnEddy posted:

So the performance boost for those few games comes down to the Pascal line, but some of the other enhancements don't right? The GPU Integer Scaling is only on the Turing stuff?

My laptop has a 4K screen being pushed by a 1070 and while most games can do it just fine, I would like to try it at 1080P or 1440P an then Scale it up and see how a few games run.

Right, GPU Integer Scaling is Turing only

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
lmao what a bullshit cynical move by nvidia. they spent all those years trying to get tensor cores to figure out integer scaling

ufarn
May 30, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Huge improvement as well on my 1080Ti/9700K @ 3440x1440. Battlefield V actually plays smoothly now and Apex rarely falls below my FPS cap of 117.

Also the Sharpening filter works pretty drat good except I was noticing some weird artifacts on particle effects in BFV though that's probably just :dice:
Blurring or bokeh seems to trip up the sharpening in my experience so you might want to turn those off. Same with most games’ TAA/FXAA I imagine.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lmao what a bullshit cynical move by nvidia. they spent all those years trying to get tensor cores to figure out integer scaling

Intel had to restrict integer scaling to their very latest GPU's as well due to lack of 'hardware features' to support it. From a Nightdive studios developer (creator of the remastered Turok series) on the ResetEra forums:

quote:

As some food for thought in regards to integer scaling being restricted to Turing cards (whether you like it or not or not is up to you, but I haven't seen anybody discuss why this is on a technical level yet so I figured I'll throw this information out there), it's most likely the reason why is that they are utilizing the Int32 cores of said Turing cards, something that Pascal and cards before it simply do not have.

Traditionally, trying to do integer processing on a GPU produces fuzzy results because what integers actually did in shaders requires processing them as floats regardless, so even when comparing what you'd think was integers wouldn't necessarily compare to exactly 0 or 1, for example.

Int32 cores solve this by outright doing what you'd expect with an integer value (no floating fuzziness, 1 will always equal 1, etc). So even the shaders that claim to be doing this already are technically faking it because your typical GPU can only calculate it as a float in the first place. This is a "fun" problem when dealing with colour palettes in restoring DOS era games.

This is all an educated guess of course, Nvidia haven't explained the sauce behind it yet, but I'm betting it's that.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 21, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Is it just a placebo effect or is the low latency mode (set to ultra) affecting the mouse cursor on desktop as well? I use a wireless keyboard with trackpad for couch surfing and I can feel it being noticeably more responsive than usual, immediately after installing the new drivers.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

taqueso posted:

AMD, you seeing this? This is your chance.

Yeah, I would put my money on AMD that failed to deliver the fastest consumer GPU since 7 (?) years. AMD obviously has better price performance ratio in most cases, but
unless they are rooting for the underdogs and have to count Euros, I don’t know any AMD GPU owners. The disposable income and enthusiast group ignores AMD GPUs because they are slower, don’t have native G-Sync and no RTX features.
The DOA Radeon 7 was a testament of AMDs limits.

Re: Raytracing. Unless you experienced it yourself it is hard to describe how RT in Metro Exodus just adds another level of atmosphere and immersion. This is RT done right. I played Metro Exodus on the PS4 and..nope. It just looks way worse after you played with RTX on.

Other than that, don’t buy Turing cards for Raytracing as main reason, just enjoy it as an addon Hardware gfx setting that is more an early adopter tech right now.

And again AMD has yet to deliver an answer because while only 2 or 3 RTX on games are worth the effects, the Turing cards at least already have the option.
We will see how AMD implements their way of bringing RT tech to the consumer market.
And how they will set the pricing.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 21, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RTX is almost a no factor since so few games utilize it, but its still the correct strategy in the long term to boost visuals over higher frames or increased resolution.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
AMD pricing? Even if they were to release a dead match with a 2080ti in every way right this instant and price it 15% less that's still over $1000...

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Are we only counting the $700+ video cards as "enthusiast?" Christ that makes me feel old, I flat out refuse to spend more than $400 or so on a video card whenever I need to upgrade. There needs to be a new word for people who only buy Tippy top end components, because I've always considered enthusiast to be someone who builds their own PC, watches reviews or discusses parts online, or just someone who cares enough to not buy from Ibuypower.

I know a ton of people who own AMD GPUs, specifically folks who built a PC for a Freesync monitor before nvidia announced support, or people who needed a video card during the stupid inflated prices of late 2018. The RX 580 is still pretty much the recommended entry level card for 1080p, and the 5700 and 5700XT are both amazing enthusiast (heh) cards.

I guess i just don't care that AMD has no product to match against the 1080 TI / 2080 TI because I've never considered spending that much on a single computer component.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's like 2 years late, but the 5700 is very impressive with people complaining about 20x0 prices it seems to be a good card for the price conscious segment.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

As a statistically-insignificant anecdote, I just snagged a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT for the rig I'm building. I've owned both AMD (well, ATI I guess, I forgot when they got bought out?) and Nvidia cards over the years, and the pricing of the 2000 series is too dumb to encourage by buying one.

As an aside, I'm thrilled to be upgrading to a 3900X, coming from a 4c/4t i5 and a 1060 6gb :woop: A buddy at work has a 2080 Ti that cost more than my current computer did. He claims it'll be the last high-end GPU he ever buys :v:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Let me know how that Sapphire Pulse is. A buddy of mine is trying to snag one for his build and its been getting sold out as fast as he can go from the in stock email to the site. Also doing a 3700X build but should still be pretty nice when all said and done.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Unless those new Nvidia drivers brought sizable uplifts to games beyond the named ones, there's a good mix in terms of 'cards to get' up the stack. On the low end a 570 new can be had for $120 all day every day and will do 1080p60 with some compromises. The 1660/ti and cheap 2060s rule the $200-300 segment, the 5700/XT are obvious buys over the 2060S and 2070S, and the 2080S/ti stand alone at the top.

AMD's sunk when Nvidia does a die shrink but they're doing pretty well ATM, unless you're one of those ITT who were saying the lack of an upgrade at the $700 price point was a sign of the death of PC gaming.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

It's a pain in the rear end, I was lucky and was able to get one of the third batch Newegg got in stock yesterday afternoon. Newegg's auto-notification system seems worthless, I'd recommend using nowinstock.net to get a text notification, that's how I lucked out and got one. The first two batches Newegg got in were literally selling out in 10-15 mins after going live, it's nuts. And I refuse to give Amazon any money, so welp. I missed out on the first two waves too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/porting-directx-12-games-to-windows-7/

but why, windows 7 is being EOLed in 5 months

:thunk:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I ordered an EVGA GTX 1660 from Amazon Warehouse Deals and got an EVGA RTX 2060.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

fargom posted:

Are we only counting the $700+ video cards as "enthusiast?" Christ that makes me feel old, I flat out refuse to spend more than $400 or so on a video card whenever I need to upgrade.

"Enthusiast" has always meant those willing to shell out a lot of money more than identifying a certain interest level when talking about sales tiers. Intel uses the same term to identify their top-tier consumer desktop CPUs, for example.

I do understand that there's a lot of sticker shock with the current generation, but for those of us who have been around long enough, it's worth remembering that inflation is A Thing: that $700 today was about $475 in 2000. AIB GeForce 2 Ultras were in the $500-$600 range in 2000, so $750-$900 in today's dollars. The top of the stack has always been pricey.

Happily for you, $400 today can get you a card that can crush any 1080p and most 1440p games at >60Hz, which is still far and away the most common resolution out there. You don't have to spend $1000 to enjoy your viddja games if you don't want to.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I ordered an EVGA GTX 1660 from Amazon Warehouse Deals and got an EVGA RTX 2060.

Warehouse deal indeed my good man

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm gonna guess cyber cafes, CAD, and other VDI/VM based systems?

I don't know about other CAD/CAM platforms, but I don't doubt DX12 being used on them as the viewport engine, and I'm gonna guess there's enough enterprise poo poo out there running 7 to make a backport make sense.

I'm Fusion 360 based and that runs DX9 or 11, I could see a DX12 upgrade at some point.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's because a lot of gamers are Luddites. MS wants people to dev DX12 games, but devs want to be able to sell to people who don't want to upgrade.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, there's an entire segment of weirdos who insist that Win10's automatic updates are some clever trap by MicroSoft to...I don't know what. Steal their precious bodily fluids or something.

And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those Asian cyber cafes are taking the "we have one ISO that we know works and we're never changing it" approach, because that's the least effort option.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I would expect any self-respecting cyber cafe to be running sketchy unlicensed windows installs anyway

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have automatic updates disabled in Windows 10 because I run my PC for weeks at a time encoding and an automatic shutdown could cost 12 hours of encode time. They made you get Windows 10 Pro to disable automatic updates, big deal. Windows 10 was free and keys are super cheap now that it's not. The luddite thing is most likely.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The DX12 being only on newer Windows version was crap and artificial inducement to upgrade anyways. IIRC, someone had a working proof of concept of DX12 on Windows 7 a week after the initial announcement.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

You don't even need a Windows 10 key, Windows 7 keys still activate it as of a couple weeks ago.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

craig588 posted:

I have automatic updates disabled in Windows 10 because I run my PC for weeks at a time encoding and an automatic shutdown could cost 12 hours of encode time. They made you get Windows 10 Pro to disable automatic updates, big deal. Windows 10 was free and keys are super cheap now that it's not. The luddite thing is most likely.

Pretty sure they actually just changed that policy recently, and now even under Home you can delay updates for up to 30 days.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

DrDork posted:

I do understand that there's a lot of sticker shock with the current generation, but for those of us who have been around long enough, it's worth remembering that inflation is A Thing: that $700 today was about $475 in 2000. AIB GeForce 2 Ultras were in the $500-$600 range in 2000, so $750-$900 in today's dollars. The top of the stack has always been pricey.

The 2080ti is $2000 dollarydoos. That isn't inflation, that's gouging.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

The 2080ti is $2000 dollarydoos. That isn't inflation, that's gouging.

Well yes, in bizarro-upside-down-land your prices are all hosed up and someone is making a ton of money off of you--and it ain't NVidia, for what it's worth. In the US the 2080Ti is more like $1000, and even after exchange rate that should be under $1500. My condolences.

e; wait, don't you guys have like 20% VAT included in your listed prices? That'd be more like $1800, which then would at least be kinda close, especially since you guys get better warranty coverage that gets baked in--the US $1000 is before whatever local tax gets applied.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 22, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hell, it's still free if you run it unregistered. Home vs. Pro is a drop-down in the installer and works just fine if you hit 'skip' on the registration page.

It's got to be for enterprise or summat, they don't have anyone to lose the gamer market share to when games won't run on 7.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

DrDork posted:

Well yes, in bizarro-upside-down-land your prices are all hosed up and someone is making a ton of money off of you--and it ain't NVidia, for what it's worth. In the US the 2080Ti is more like $1000, and even after exchange rate that should be under $1600. My condolences.

e; wait, don't you guys have like 20% VAT included in your listed prices? That'd be more like $1900, which then would be reasonably close, especially since you guys get better warranty coverage that gets baked in--the US $1000 is before whatever local tax gets applied.

10%, and it still doesn't change the fact that they are price gouging so hard their eyeballs are about to burst. I just spent $2500 dollarydoos on a 3700X rig in its entirety, a single graphics card costing that much on its own without being a productivity card or a Titan is gouging.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 22, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
at this point it's getting hard to find even -A model 2080 Tis at $1000 even in the states. The EVGA black with the open cooler is up to $1100 now :smith:

I think at this point the best deal would be that Zotac Extreme for $1070 if they ever run that again. Mostly the 2080 Tis are going for $1200+ even in the US.

In contrast to past generations (even like the 10-series, when AMD had no real competition for the 1080/1070/etc), NVIDIA is maintaining firm control of prices this time, there is nobody dropping below MSRP. By early or mid 2017, the 1080 was down from $700-750 all the way down to $400 or less. Same for the 9-series, and previous generations. This is historically abnormal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 22, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

10%, and it still doesn't change the fact that they are price gouging so hard their eyeballs are about to burst. I just spent $2500 dollarydoos on a 3700X rig in its entirety, a single graphics card costing that much on its own without being a productivity card or a Titan is gouging.

Ouch. Yeah, at a 25% differential, that's pretty bad, then.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

with only 4 OEMs left in the US and razor thin margins, along with the vast majority of consumers who are making purchasing decisions going solely on price and a fresh reminder of the dangers of over-ordering from the crypto crash, it wouldnt surprise me at all if they have an unspoken little agreement to not undercut MSRP

i know, price fixing in the computer industry, unthinkable

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I’m starting to think I’m going to get a 5700 and sacrifice the Gsync on the monitor that I bought less than a year ago. The only games I enjoy Gsync with right now would play with the frame rates maxed out on better hardware. I am fine with vsync in Monster Hunter or whatever.

I may also just keep my 1070 and deal with crippling performance in newer games because almost every marquee title since 2017 has been plagued with horrible monetization models. If games continue to be like Anthem and friends, why bother buying hardware for them.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 22, 2019

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If you don't need the performance for games you're playing now then new graphics card seems like a waste of money. I'd wait until the new card within my budget is more of performance bump than 1070-->5700.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Nothing's probably going to come out before Cyberpunk, right? I'll probably be going from a 970 to something that's out now if that's the case but hopefully I can snipe a good deal in the next eight months. Thank you for being my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Cavauro posted:

Nothing's probably going to come out before Cyberpunk, right? I'll probably be going from a 970 to something that's out now if that's the case but hopefully I can snipe a good deal in the next eight months. Thank you for being my friend.

AMD should be able to squeeze out their 1080ti copy (big Navi) by then. Not even going to hazard a guess when Nvidia might drop Ampere.
As someone who played Witcher3 at launch, you should wait a bit for it to get patched.
If you hear thicc Ampere rumours around the time of Cyberpunks release, I would wait for that.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 22, 2019