Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
In the forty or so hours I've played this since installing Cardiovorax's mods, only today did I finally get to see if in fact they work. They do! I don't know why the game took this long to initiate a contract of Shek guardians to my base but when they did show up, they did not attack the Rebel Farmers. Everybody else except my team and the Shek did, but whatever. As someone said earlier, just sit back and enjoy the bloodbath: Kenshi!

After defeating the Phoenix, Tengu, and all the nobles, I recruited Cat-Lon and every other big name skeleton out in the Ashlands. Along with Eyegore and a bunch of other elite fighters, my endgame is looking like a huge country-wide recruitment party to max out that 256 limit and make a sprawling village full of farmers by the seaside.

I was beginning to think I was invincible. Every battle had been a cakewalk. I've played over almost 300 hours of the same playthrough, making up my own goals of travel and recruitment and building since all the big names were dead or assimilated. I've been planting orchards and making high-quality coats and little zen gardens by the shoreline.

Until today when something called an Empire Attack showed up. I defeated Tengu a long time ago and had gotten used to the UC attacking my base in retaliation. Elite Hunters were nothing. Sometimes I got a guy with stats in the 80s-90s out of it, but never lost anyone in the scuffle. This time my Eyegore, Cat-Lon, and three other top characters were clear across the map on a mission, but I don't think it would have mattered. A long shimmering cloud appeared on the horizon. Then another. I think there must have been at least 200 (maybe 300?) highly-skilled fighters and bowmen and they absolutely mopped the floor with my entire settlement and then stuck around town to make sure we were all dead. I've never seen anything like it, even after doubling the squad numbers. For the first time ever, my framerate slowed down. Then a shopping assault showed up and the UC killed them too. This game never stops surprising me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Cardiovorax posted:

Carrying corpses specifically gives an XP bonus above and beyond merely being overloaded with heavy stuff in your inventory, if I interpreted something that I found in the construction set correctly. For best effect, make them do both, to a sum total of 250% base XP, I think it was.

If you go by in-game display for strength XP gain you need to be 70% or more encumbered to get 25%(but anything above 70% doesn't increase it more) and carrying a body gives another 25%

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pyromancer posted:

If you go by in-game display for strength XP gain you need to be 70% or more encumbered to get 25%(but anything above 70% doesn't increase it more) and carrying a body gives another 25%

Carrying a body just doubles whatever encumbrance XP bonus you would have gotten, as I recall from the in-game display.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

artichoke posted:

In the forty or so hours I've played this since installing Cardiovorax's mods, only today did I finally get to see if in fact they work. They do! I don't know why the game took this long to initiate a contract of Shek guardians to my base but when they did show up, they did not attack the Rebel Farmers.
I'm glad to hear it! Which file did you end up using in specific? I'm really curious what it took to fix the problem.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

drat this game.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I just picked this up, haven't played it yet but anything i should know going in blind.. haven't watched any videos yet either

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I just picked this up, haven't played it yet but anything i should know going in blind.. haven't watched any videos yet either

Post a trip report after the first decent sit down session. There's probably heaps you should know, but playing blind has the best chance of having a good impact.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Losing fights is how you get better at fights. If you load a save everyone you lose, you will never win.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Losing fights is how you get better at fights. If you load a save everyone you lose, you will never win.
On that note, it is nice to have a second man to rescue you when you are bleeding out in the desert.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I’m on my first play through trying to go blind and lol hold on to your butt. Don’t make your squad massive to start out because they’ll just be hungry until you figure poo poo out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In most games, losing a limb is catastrophic.

In Kenshi, it's Tuesday.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're going hungry nearly every inn has nigh unlimited food right at the entrance that's trivial to steal

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Azhais posted:

If you're going hungry nearly every inn has nigh unlimited food right at the entrance that's trivial to steal

stealing in general is pretty darn powerful.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Azhais posted:

This is the same at any grocery store

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

To start from the default: go north, behold Okran’s Pride.

One day, make it yours.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a good beginner tip is to head into the foglands ASAP, in the northwest section of the map. Enemies don't like to chase you into there, and besides the town that's there it's completely empty to it should be safe to split up and wander around and look for resources

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Stick to actual tips please, nobody needs this thread to become a bunch of "lol try jumping" bullshit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Actual tips:

Squin is a real good place to build up resources at the start. There’s several ore nodes nearby and the buildings are cheap to buy, plus starving bandits attack frequently enough that you can have your dudes participate in the fights alongside the guards to get some skills under their belt. Its also close to hiver territory if you get unlucky and lose limbs so you can jaunt to a nearby hiver town and grab lovely replacements to tide you over until you can afford the good stuff.

I am a babby and don’t know much beyond that but Squin is real nice to start.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i still advocate for hanging out near Gut and trying to gradually make inroads. by the time you can manage it, you're tough enough to settle there and mine the big iron trees

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Stick to actual tips please, nobody needs this thread to become a bunch of "lol try jumping" bullshit.

no

going to the foglands early on is actually a good idea because you can hang out in Mongrel and beat the poo poo out of fogmen all day and sell fog prince heads and get free toughness training with little risk to dying since town guards will heal you.

I guess u rite tho, on the opposite side of the Hub is a place called Venge, with small packs of wandering robots you can beat up for weapons and scrap to sell. Park a few of your best dudes there for a while while you go about your business and it'll be like passive money generation.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sigh

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This game is already opaque as hell and hard enough to get into for new people without actively giving out misinformation. Just don't be an rear end about it please.

Anyway, yeah, the Fog Islands actually aren't a bad place to go early, but be aware that they're also pretty much a persistent bug person zombie apocalypse and doing something like splitting up in search of resources is liable to get one of your peeps eaten. The Fogmen are not really very dangerous individually, but there are a lot of them, and they have an annoying habit of carrying off anyone they can knock unconscious for dinner, so beware of that.

The upshot is that the major factions, especially the Holy Nation, won't follow you there unless they absolutely have to, and the city of Mongrel has some pretty good shops and no affiliation with anyone who might want you dead.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you have a full party of skeletons, the foglands is a great starting area.

Especially as you can head north to Burns tower for a free skeleton healing bed when you get too beat up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you have a full party of skeletons everywhere is a great starting area, because skeletons rule.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ya'll chill, you act like my half-joking advice is going to fry someone computer or land them in prison or something.

Venge is also a cool place to be because the death lasers will also murder the poo poo out things that are valuable to kill, which actually are the large number of swarming robots, beak things, at least one bandit faction whos base you can then loot for mondo monies, etc. It's not that hard to keep moving around to avoid the lasers, and if one catches you, you can move out of it fast enough to make the exchange of bandages for a ton of toughness and medic XP. It's not like I'm telling them to run to the far corners of the map where there's nothing and waste all of their time, or head down south to say hello to Cat-Lon. Foglands and Venge are like 20 minute walks from the Hub.

I love going to venge and the foglands early, there's a lot of money to be made for basically no effort.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 22, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do a slave start.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

REAL TIP that is NOT a joke and will not present you with immediate, obvious dangers that are easy to just leave and avoid: save often. Even in easy starts like Slave where you're practically given a bunch of useful stats and potentially a few followers who will also have decent starting stats, sometimes the AI will just beat the poo poo out of you and let you die for no reason lol.

Also the game will sometimes just crash, especially if you've got two squads that are far away from each other. I had to drop a campaign once and restart from scratch because it would not let me switch squads and load my home base. Reimporting, disabling mods, nothing worked, and I didn't have a backup to before I split the squads up because I had just cleaned out my save folder.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I thought that a team of four would be enough to try some combat. I was wrong. Gonna have to try being a miner baron for a bit to get more for my hobo gang. Food is still a problem. Stealing has not gone well so far.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Virigoth posted:

I thought that a team of four would be enough to try some combat. I was wrong. Gonna have to try being a miner baron for a bit to get more for my hobo gang. Food is still a problem. Stealing has not gone well so far.

four...hehe

I wasn't able to start successfully (not well, just actually winning) fights till I had a party of 12 or so that had hauled rocks for a while and had bought/stolen/scavenged decent weapons and armor.

I wasn't able to do combat WELL till those same guys had gained some toughness, dex, more strength, and started using not top tier, but just below top tier weapons and armor. Plus four more guys added on for a total of 16 for my warband.

Then I sent those same 16 blokes to Fogland's Cannibal camp of toughness and stole/bought mastercraft limbs from the local arm/leg dealer. Then things started to REALLY get going.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 23, 2019

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You'll never be detected stealing loose items in shops unless someone is actively looking at you (unlike the % chance of everyone nearby hearing you take from chests), so going to the second floor in a lot of buildings is a thievery skill bonanza. Squin is great for this, lots of multistory public buildings, and once you get to like 40 skill you can clean out the second floor of the inn as long as some random merc company isn't there drinking for tons more skill (and about 40 tons of food cubes)

If you feel like exploiting this, dropping the items and picking them back up gives skill again, so you can just grab everything, find a quiet corner, and go all the way to 100 if you were so inclined. You can also use the drag inventory to a portrait trick to pause, steal everything in a chest, then drop it on a teammate outside, and continue on to the next chest unencumbered. I was personally fond of having my guy in ninja pants go strolling into the holy nation with 4 bulls and walk out with hundreds of building materials and iron plates and whatever else I needed to keep my base running.

Once you have all your ill gotten gains, just leave town. The gate guards only care about contraband, not stolen goods in your inventory, so it's just an extra layer of hilarity.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

four is doable but you're going to be spending A LOT of time getting them nice and beefy. I usually run like 30-40 because I love having swarms of lovely dudes.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I’d love to have a poo poo show 20 man squad but I feel like they are going to starve unless they can kill these weird rear end bird things I found en made. I guess with that many dudes I could get serious about an outpost though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My team starving all the time made me realize the hunger slider when starting a new world works the opposite of how I thought it would.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
First 3 hours:

Started off loading up the game and realizing i had to poo poo.. headphones on reading New Game starts.. went into bathroom with headphones on and the music was deadly awesome. So it started off pretty good I must say...

Picked Wanderer like a proper fucker wanting to enjoy the true experience.

Started in "The Hub" (Probably same every time with this starting?)
Didn't know a loving thing.. started looting all the lovely grog cups and stuff and selling them to the bar guy.
Didn't join the thieves people.
First day, found some hunk of iron ore and started beating it silly..no idea what the hell I was doing but I figured, "Hey, I need some money somehow"
Put it on fast forward and noticed 10 guys running at me, mouse over has a red cursor so I'm like AWWW FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Proceeded to run my rear end all the way to the bar which wasn't good so kept going to the thieves tower which also wasn't good and went back to the bar.
At this point I had no one on me anymore so I started cleaning up the giant puddles of people and trying to sell... found out all the Hungry Bandits gear was considered stolen and discount prices.
Repeated mining for a bit then decided let's go to squin on the map. Got there and recruited my first free follower Ruka which had like 10x the skill my guy did so that's cool.
Start mining at a cross roads outside squin, Slavers show up and a group of hungry bandits. Huge fight just outside the gates as I'm running away, turn around and me and Ruka beat one lowly rear end in a top hat into the ground.
Lots of dead slavers in plate armor, looted that and found it sold for ~200 c at the local smith shop so proceeded to run those in.
Use the money to build an outpost.. build a research bench and then start researching free stuff.. output gets 3 bandit raid warnings so I tail it out of there and come back later to watch 3 bandit groups run into my shack and then run off saying it's over.
Finish researching the freebies, guys are now hungry.. back to mining for some cash.

Things I didn't do:
-Steal everything in town
-sneak very much

Things I did that I got owned at:
Attacked a bone dog.
Used the guard tower training dummy.. LOL.. worked for like 3 hours until he came upstairs and then it was JAIL TIME.. reloaded like a pussy. Wish it would tell you more illegal stuff before hand.

Mission for tomorrow 3 hours:
-Buy some of the maps at the adventure shop for 100 c and go exploring.. maybe dismantle my outpost.. 12 bandits showing up to my outpost all the time isn't going to last. Is it more feasible to buy a house in the hub?

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 23, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Squin would be a better place to set up since it has better supplies and is close to a tech hunters outpost which has even more building materials. Anywhere but the hub really. That place is a trap because its so poorly supplied.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 23, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

Squin would be a better place to set up since it has better supplies and is close to a tech hunters outpost which has even more building materials. Anywhere but the hub really. That place is a trap because its so poorly supplied.

Squin is great...that place was my base of operations for the first 20 hours I played. Fair amount of stores to steeeaaaaa, er, I mean trade iron/copper with for food and supplies, a tech outpost nearby for more, you could even go to the nearby hive village if you're feeling ballsy (beware of the local wildlife :downs:). Plenty of nearby copper and iron nodes too.

Buy a house or three, and start training crafting skills (and of course, research), and you'll start getting a nice money flow. Raid the inns for food (stealing or buying) and stick it all in food barrels which your growing army will automatically go to if they need a bite.

If you're willing to steal stuff, well, the shops there sell nice expensive 2handers...load up and send them to the hub/holy nation for LOT'S of cash.

Might have spent TOO long there honestly.

edit - if you do train up crafting skills in a non-player owned city, make sure you steal every last item used for crafting that's lying out in the open as the A.I. doesn't know NOT to grab red (owned) items. Had more than a few of my boys/girls spend some time in the clink (and then in a recovery bed) before I figured out why they were just randomly stealing stuff. :doh:

mauman fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 23, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah there's deposits literally right outside the gates, so you can build a storage chest for iron and copper and have people just mine automatically.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah there's deposits literally right outside the gates, so you can build a storage chest for iron and copper and have people just mine automatically.

That's exactly what I did. The close nodes are really neat as there's two copper (!!) and one iron node that bandits don't seem to bother your guys at. As my guys got stronger, more numerous, and better equipped I expanded out a bit. Sure occasionally they'd need to drop everything and run to hotspots to take out bandits (or just run to the gates and let the guards take em out), but I was rolling in Dosh.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Synthbuttrange posted:

How do I do automatic mining? If I have storage crates will they automatically drop off or do I have to make macro line commands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you mine and have a storage box of the right kind within a reasonable distance from them then they will automatically drop off their production there. If you have the storage box within the vicinity of a crafting station or construction site then your characters will automatically withdraw resources from there as well.

Mind, however, that this only works on boxes with the correct AI marker, so if you want them auto-store iron ore, then you need to build specifically an iron ore storage box. General Storage is for manual use only.